197 replies to this topic

#1 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 57,472 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Ed says he will always be a Jets fan but there are too many confrontations. So he will go to the games, just not as Fireman Ed. He will sit somewhere else and won't lead the chant any longer. This sucks because he was great at getting the stadium loud. But more so because

Fireman Ed will no longer play team's mascot

KRISTIAN DYER
NEW YORK
Published: November 25, 2012 7:02 p.m.
Last modified: November 25, 2012 7:10 p.m.

For 26 years now, Ed Anzalone has gotten transformed eight Sundays out of the year into “Fireman Ed,” the most iconic football fan in the nation. Anzalone, sitting atop his brother’s shoulders, his image displayed on the stadium’s big screens, leads the green-clad crowd in the “J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!”

The franchise will turn to a new era on Dec. 2 when the Jets host the Cardinals, as he will be “Fireman Ed” no more.

The retirement of Anzalone in his special role in the game day experience at MetLife Stadium is the end of an era for Jets fans used to his presence in section 124. On Thursday night, with the Jets down 35-3 at halftime of what turned into a 49-19 home loss to the Patriots, Anzalone left the stadium. It had nothing to do with the team’s 4-7 record this year or the fact that they likely won’t make the playoffs for a second straight year.

“Listen, I went through the Rich Kotite era — we were 4-28 in that era. Any Jets fan knows this isn’t the worst of times; it isn’t close,” Anzalone told Metro. “It’s been about the nastiness. I just think society in general — you’re out in your car there’s no respect at all. I don’t want to put up with that from people taking it out on me anymore.”

Anzalone said fans have gotten nasty and confrontational with him, often mistaking him as part of the organization when he is merely a season ticket holder “who has never received a dime from this team.”

He said he will still go to games and that he never, ever can quit on the Jets. It isn’t the mounting losses or the lack of wins that is bothering him, but rather the boorish behavior of fans.

“That is right. For me to write a letter, I think it is best that I move on. I’m sure there will be somebody else that takes over. I wasn’t the originator of the chant and I won’t be the last one. It’s got to end,” Anzalone said.

“I wouldn’t go to my same seat. I’ll be in different seats. I have a ton of guys that have 10 or 12 seats that sell and I’ll grab a couple of theirs. I can’t be in the section that I’ll be in. I can’t be in the same section and not be ‘Fireman Ed.’ But I am thankful to have been the maestro of that chant all those years. The fans humbled me by getting behind me and joining me.”

Anzalone, a New York City firefighter, would spend his pregame time not with his buddies drinking beers and grilling burgers but rather visiting children’s birthday parties in the parking lot or posing for pictures with children battling cancer. He was everywhere before the game but minutes before kickoff he’d walk down the stairs to his seat, often to a standing ovation from Jets fans in his section.

A season ticket holder since 1976, he was first put on the big screen at the old Giants Stadium 10 years later to fire up the crowd.

Anzalone hasn’t informed the Jets of his decision to hang up his fireman helmet.

“No, I haven’t notified them of anything. I’m not on their pay roll,” Anzalone said. “I don’t owe the Jets anything.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

http://www.metro.us/...y-team-s-mascot

#2 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

POPULAR

Good for him. It has to suck shilling for this douchebag franchise.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#3 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Captain Jet Wins!

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#4 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

FIREMAN COURTNEY
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#5 Matt39

Matt39

BAP

• Members
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

it became way too political. no one gave a sh*t in the 90's. he was just the guy that got the stadium going

#6 Matt39

Matt39

BAP

• Members
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

but yeah since the new stadium and such it seemed he was on the payroll....

the new stadium, holy sh*t what a disaster

#7 The Crusher

The Crusher

Woof

• Moderators
  • 28,882 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

RIP

unclerico.gif

#8 cr726

cr726

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ed is a vry good guy, it is ridiculous how some fans attack him for the Jet failures. Sad but true.

#9 Smashmouth

Smashmouth

Make us proud Wrecks

• Members
  • 12,902 posts
  • LocationDallas Tx.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I hear Crusher tried to tackle Ed once .

It was not football related.

Do the Math

Proud Member of the AVM

#10 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,047 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

"i dont owe them anything" i want to believe

#11 Matt39

Matt39

BAP

• Members
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Ed is a vry good guy, it is ridiculous how some fans attack him for the Jet failures. Sad but true.

The front office has turned the franchise into a clown show. Ed's an easy target to be roped into that perception. Between the disaster of a new stadium and all the bizarre/awful personnel deicisions this isnt surprising. we're at rock bottom as a franchise....and that's not even taking into account the Giants success.

#12 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Didn't Ed do PSL commercials or robocalls?

#13 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

met him twice recognized me the second time seemed like a genuinely good dude interested in the other fans. Always let the little kids around him wear his hat or something

#14 Matt39

Matt39

BAP

• Members
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Didn't Ed do PSL commercials or robocalls?

if he did then the fans have every right to give him sh*t.

#15 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

1. The "nastiness" he mentions is evident on this thread. We have a whole bunch of people calling themselves fans that don't root for the team, even when they're doing well.

2. How is the stadium a disaster?

#16 Matt39

Matt39

BAP

• Members
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

1. The "nastiness" he mentions is evident on this thread. We have a whole bunch of people calling themselves fans that don't root for the team, even when they're doing well.

2. How is the stadium a disaster?

The Jets have become hard to root for.

Have you seen the stadium?

#17 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

The Jets have become hard to root for.

Because they haven't had a losing season the past 3 years, or won 4 playoff games the past 3 years, or.....?

Have you seen the stadium?

It's cleaner, sleeker, the word 'Giants' is nowhere to be found on it, there's more to do... besides the PSL's (which is a big 'besides', I'll grant), what exactly is worse about the stadium?

#18 Matt39

Matt39

BAP

• Members
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Because they haven't had a losing season the past 3 years, or won 4 playoff games the past 3 years, or.....?

It's cleaner, sleeker, the word 'Giants' is nowhere to be found on it, there's more to do... besides the PSL's (which is a big 'besides', I'll grant), what exactly is worse about the stadium?

more to do? lol.

#19 dbatesman

dbatesman

FUGGER

• Members
  • 8,176 posts

We have a whole bunch of people calling themselves fans that don't root for the team, even when they're doing well.

You're the best.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#20 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

This is the least likable, sh*ttiest Jets team I can remember. It's currently a joke at every level of the organization

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#21 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

more to do? lol.

EL OH EL

#22 lanightmare225

lanightmare225

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Man is an icon and great Jets fan people in section 124 should be ashamed ****ing with the guy bc he wants to see our sh*tty qb do good and support him
Posted Image

#23 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Vernon Gholston: more to do

#24 dbatesman

dbatesman

FUGGER

• Members
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Vernon Gholston: more to do

I smell a meme a-brewin'.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#25 billo83

billo83

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

This is the least likable, sh*ttiest Jets team I can remember. It's currently a joke at every level of the organization

Were you around for the Kotite era?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users