Fireman Ed Stepping Down

Maxman

The front office has turned the franchise into a clown show. Ed's an easy target to be roped into that perception. Between the disaster of a new stadium and all the bizarre/awful personnel deicisions this isnt surprising. we're at rock bottom as a franchise....and that's not even taking into account the Giants success.

The stadium becomes awesome for the Giants though right?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he quit because the fans are mean to him. I thought it was the same reason why 333 left.

Yeah, just read the thread. I didn't know that was the reason. But meh. Whatever. Seems like a great moment to quit "cause of the fans"... when we are getting destroyed and show zero promise.

Thanks for the welcome back. I know Ed, not well but I do know him. (One of the guys I go to games with used to work with Ed. So for alot of the games we get a chance to chat for a bit. And a few times sat next to him for a game. ) I do not think he is doing this because of a rough patch. He is very intense and has a great passion for the team. What he wrote is very true. He takes a fair amount of abuse at games. I understand he used to be a dolphin fan, but he has missed very few games since the 70's, thats pretty solid dedication if u ask me.

I hear ya. I am sure he has been heckled more than his fair share of the years, but quitting at that moment just seemed too easy. I don't know. I won't shed any tears for him. Glad I don't have to see his stupid face on the tv anymore.

The stadium becomes awesome for the Giants though right?

My son is at the Giants game right now. He got seats that were donated to Sandy volunteers by Lawrence Taylor. He texted me, this stadium is better when the Giants play. This was before the game started and his seats are in the upper deck, we sit in the lower level for the Jets.

I haven't spoken to him yet so I don't know what he meant. I am curious though...

Not sure the boob comment was needed.... -____-

I'll over look it as a compliment. But with Pennington we went 4-12 ... in 95 and 96 we had terrrribleee years ...

I just don't see the sudden change of heart since there's still about 5 games to be played.

If you want Tom banned just add his name to your list that you send in each Friday. Thanks.

What the **** do I care

This team is a disaster top to bottom. I cant remember a season more disappointing than this...even seasons where we had less wins. This whole ****ing year sucks. I cant believe Im yearning for the offseason

I am back from my month long hiatus. What a wonderful month it has been. I moved he week of the Dolphin game, and have been extremely busy. ( was very lucky to have not been at that disaster)

The Seattle game really got to me. And of course in typical Jet fashion, they show up for the Ram game, just to give us a glimmer of hope. I was numb to the Pats game because its easy when your never in the game.

I know there have been several posts about this, but the thing that upsets me most is the retirement of Fireman Ed. Over the last 20 years that I have been a Jet fan, I could always count on one thing. and that was the chants. I will be in my seats on Sunday but things wont be the same. Then again its not like our sh*t team gives us a reason to chant anyway. Needless to say I will be in my seats for the Arizona and the Charger games extremely liquored up.

Anyway Im sure nobody missed me, but I figured I would let everyone know that I am settled into my new house and am back on the boards just in time to suffer out loud with my fellow fans.

There's a thread about Ed.

There's a forum for all the personal life stuff.

Max started the other thread. He runs the site, known as JetNation. It is a purposeful redundancy... unlike the herp that you derp all day long.

Like you've ever written anything worth a damn?

Weren't you the one who said that Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher ran the offenses and defenses for their teams?

You can go away now.....

So why is a duplicate forum up again?

BD

Because they haven't had a losing season the past 3 years, or won 4 playoff games the past 3 years, or.....?

It's cleaner, sleeker, the word 'Giants' is nowhere to be found on it, there's more to do... besides the PSL's (which is a big 'besides', I'll grant), what exactly is worse about the stadium?

Whats wrong? The Jets home fan base is the Lamest in Pro Sports! If you dont like hearing it, I am sorry but its true. I have been to Jets games in many other stadiums since I moved, and the Jets fans at the Meadowlands are BORING!!! This includes the old stadium too. Just plain Boring and Lame. The most lame fans in the NFL.

Whats wrong? The Jets home fan base is the Lamest in Pro Sports! If you dont like hearing it, I am sorry but its true. I have been to Jets games in many other stadiums since I moved, and the Jets fans at the Meadowlands are BORING!!! This includes the old stadium too. Just plain Boring and Lame. The most lame fans in the NFL.

That... I agree with.

Like you've ever written anything worth a damn?

Weren't you the one who said that Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher ran the offenses and defenses for their teams?

You can go away now.....

So why is a duplicate forum up again?

BD

I actually said those guys ran their whole teams. Meaning their coordinators ran the respective sides of the ball they were supposed to, while the head coaches acted like head coaches and oversaw all.

You just failed to comprehend that, repeatedly.

They need to come back to Long Island.

1. The "nastiness" he mentions is evident on this thread. We have a whole bunch of people calling themselves fans that don't root for the team, even when they're doing well.

2. How is the stadium a disaster?

It was built for luxury boxes, many of which are empty, game after game. The parking lot and road access are worse. The entry and exit are the worst of any stadium i have ever been in. We regular fans, despite paying PSLs and top dollar for tickets, are treated like criminals every time we enter the stadium. Our moron owner has stupildy asked the NFL to put premier games on family holidays. Need I go on? Every agrees it's a sheetbox.

This year just feels different, we have all gone through crappy seasons many times before but the Jets at least always seemed to play with some heart-this team is heartless, not to mention has the least talented Jets team that we have seen in a couple of generations. The WORST thing though is that the coach and GM and a lot of the players DO NOT EVEN SEE IT. How can this be? How can a HC come out and cite a QB rating after getting completely embarrassed on national TV? When you start losing longtime fans like me and then even lose the team's mascot...wow...somebody better do something...Woody Johnson, it's all on you and let's face it, he inspires NO ONE with confidence...

This year just feels different, we have all gone through crappy seasons many times before but the Jets at least always seemed to play with some heart-this team is heartless, not to mention has the least talented Jets team that we have seen in a couple of generations. The WORST thing though is that the coach and GM and a lot of the players DO NOT EVEN SEE IT. How can this be? How can a HC come out and cite a QB rating after getting completely embarrassed on national TV? When you start losing longtime fans like me and then even lose the team's mascot...wow...somebody better do something...Woody Johnson, it's all on you and let's face it, he inspires NO ONE with confidence...

I wouldn't say talentless. The 75-76 and 95 Jets were talentless teams. This team if anything is gutless. They remind me of the 94 team that basically quit on Pete Carroll after the Spike Game and then most of the core of that team (Hasty, Lageman, Moore, etc) left after that season.

I do think this QB situation between Sanchez and Tebow has become intolerable and the Jets have no one to blame but themselves.

And you wonder why he wants to get away from fans?

I don't wonder about that at all - I'm sure there are plenty of game attendee's that give him a rash of crap for wearing that jersey. I would not be one of them as I think the guy does good things for the team.

My son is at the Giants game right now. He got seats that were donated to Sandy volunteers by Lawrence Taylor. He texted me, this stadium is better when the Giants play. This was before the game started and his seats are in the upper deck, we sit in the lower level for the Jets.

I haven't spoken to him yet so I don't know what he meant. I am curious though...

I have a a close relative who works with the Maras. On their first trip to Dallas to the new JerryDome, they came back furious, asking what the f___ their billion + payed for in the Meadowlands. You can say it's more expensive to build here, doesn't change the fact that it's a big, ugly Fedders AC unit that has no amenities for most fans and is impossible to get to and in and out of. Though a winning team almost certainly makes going to the game way more tolerable.

There a a whole mess of new arenas and stadiums in and around NY. I haven't been to new Shea, but all the others considered what mattered to fans-getting in and out,broad concourses, road or public transportation access, good and easy concessions, bathrooms. And it's like they built this place with no idea what matters. Can recall being in huge crowds at the old place for GnR and AC/DC, and because of the spirals those crowds quickly dissipated. By contrast there is always a mess on the escalators and stairs. Seen twice people fighting with security, and not defending it but not surprised by it either. Not all surprised one Giant fan fell out of the escalators, merely that it hasn't happned more often.

Yeah, just read the thread. I didn't know that was the reason. But meh. Whatever. Seems like a great moment to quit "cause of the fans"... when we are getting destroyed and show zero promise.

does seem convenient.... hmmm... but still...i dont care if he chants or not. my life wont change because he wont be doing a silly chant anymore.

It's not enough he's got to be one of the public faces of this team while it rips our hearts out... AGAIN. But he has to take sh*t from everyone and their brother about it? I don't blame him.

Who knows, he could be having health problems. Like blood pressure or something. Being provoked multiple times per day can't be healthy for anyone, it's gotta get old.

Anyone whining about how he is a "abandoning" the fans is stupid. The franchise is the one abandoning the fans, nobody else.

Archived