Debunking the "Same Old Jets" Myths

stoicsentry

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/debunking-the-same-old-jets-myth/

It’s the season for the “Same Old Jets” remarks. Focusing on failure makes for a great narrative, especially after a loss of the magnitude of Thursday’s 49-19 shellacking by New England. As critics sharpen their knives, they will search for ways to characterize the “hapless” J-E-T-S, or “Just End The Season,” as they might say. It all sounds smarmy and smart, except for one thing: the history and the reality don’t support it.

To be fair, some of the harshest criticisms have come from inside Jets nation. The noted Jets fan Ed Anzalone announced on Sunday that he was retiring from his game-day role as Fireman Ed, mainly because of increased hostility toward him by a small but vocal minority. Anzalone says he has been accused of being “bought” by wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey at games this season (a charge Anzalone vehemently denies).

Hard to believe all of this hysteria is coming with the Jets at 4-7. Don’t you think Kansas City General Manager Scott Pioli and Coach Romeo Crennel would sign up the 1-10 Chiefs for the Jets’ record right now?

So here goes, some facts for the enablers of the ” Same Old Jets” myth:

1) The Jets haven’t had a losing season since 2007

How difficult is it to string together seasons without having a losing record? Since 2007, only four A.F.C. teams – Patriots, Steelers, Ravens and Chargers — and eight teams over all are in the same company. The Jets would have to lose two of their last five games — and their schedule is favorable — for their streak to be broken.

2) The Jets have had only three losing seasons since 1997, when Bill Parcells took the reins

Few would argue that 15 years is not a significant sample size. How impressive is the Jets’ total of 3 out of a possible 15? Only New England (1) and Green Bay (2) have had fewer losing seasons during this stretch. Pittsburgh and Denver are tied with the Jets at 3. Detroit and Cleveland lead all teams with 11.

3) The Jets have had seven postseason appearances since 1997

Once again, the Jets’ total puts them among the upper crust of N.F.L. teams. In the A.F.C., only four teams have qualified for the playoffs more times than the Jets during this stretch, led by New England and Indianapolis, with 11 times each. Green Bay leads N.F.C. teams with 10 appearances.

4) The Jets have played in three conference championship games since 1997

This number stands out when you consider that six A.F.C. teams have failed to reach one title game over this period. The Patriots and the Steelers lead the N.F.L. with six each and are the only A.F.C. teams with more appearances than the Jets. Denver, Baltimore and Indianapolis are tied with the Jets’ total of three.

5) The Jets are one of the 18 N.F.L. teams to have actually won a Super Bowl

Yes, this does not change the fact that 44 seasons is a long time to go without a title, which is where the Jets’ drought will almost certainly stand after this season. But they HAVE won it before. Fourteen teams have yet to win the Vince Lombardi Trophy, and only 11 teams have won more than one, led by Pittsburgh, which has won six times.

Two seasons ago, Rex Ryan crowed about the “same old Jets” being back in the A.F.C. championship game. It may have seemed like a boast, but it was closer to reality than the saying’s negative intent.

This is a great article, it really shows why the Jets fan base is so terrible... completely blind to reality. But unlike Bills fans who are hopelessly optimistic without good reason, Jets fans are hopelessly pessimistic without good reason.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/debunking-the-same-old-jets-myth/

This is a great article, it really shows why the Jets fan base is so terrible... completely blind to reality. But unlike Bills fans who are hopelessly optimistic without good reason, Jets fans are hopelessly pessimistic without good reason.

NO! NO! NO! Worst team in football. EVER! Facts? Numbers? Useless!

I just ranted on Twitter about this.

The article points out that the Jets are not the most miserable franchise in the NFL, but the article leaves out that things happen to the Jets in such a way that nobody can really believe what they're watching or feel good about it.

http://fifthdown.blo...-old-jets-myth/

This author has been taking notes from my posting. This is all sh*t I've said before.

Which circles back to Rex Ryan's Jets. This will be the first losing season of Rex's tenure. And when he sits down with Woody and Tanny to talk about their future's, all he'll have to say is, I've won more playoff games than other HC in the league over the last 4 seasons. Which we all laugh at but is ultimately how a HC is graded by many around the league.

Honestly, who gives a sh*t what the Jets have done since 2007 or since 1997?

The only thing that matters is how the Jets are playing right now and what kind of shape they look to be in going forward.

They stink right now, and there's nothing to indicate that without a major overhaul, that can change.

So, while the facts of this article are true, the Jets over the last decade and a half have not been terrible as a whole, these "terrible" fans, as you paint with a broad brush, are hoping to win a championship in the present or the near future (as winning based on past accomplishments is impossible), and the current Jets are now 4-7, coming off an 8-8 season, and have lost 8 games in the past 2 seasons by 20 or more points, and are in no position to win anything of substance.

Oh, and optimism and pessimism are future based constructs, so your conclusion (Jets fans are hopelessly pessimistic without good reason) is wildly off base.

how surprising we get an article on how it's the fans fault...that we should understand their complete inability to build an entertaining product...that we've been branded...stay loyal...send us your money...and we will continue to boor you with the same uninteresting product...

How come we don't see these type of article when its the Steelers, Patriots or Ravens, 49ers when they are having a down year?

They stink right now, and there's nothing to indicate that without a major overhaul, that can change.

I don't disagree that they stink. My question is, what constitutes a major overhaul? This team didn't lose that many pieces from the teams that went deep in the playoffs. This is where most of the Sanchez hate comes from because if he stepped up we'd forget about most of the downgrades at other positions. I understand the feeling that this FO and coaching staff can't right the ship, but I don't think it's necessarily true. I don't think it will take long to get set up. It's not like the old days where you rebuild for 35 years. The contract situation is apparently difficult next year and 2014 will be the next big push which will probably lead to many people joing Fireman Ed and jumping off the cliff.

I don't disagree that they stink. My question is, what constitutes a major overhaul? This team didn't lose that many pieces from the teams that went deep in the playoffs. This is where most of the Sanchez hate comes from because if he stepped up we'd forget about most of the downgrades at other positions. I understand the feeling that this FO and coaching staff can't right the ship, but I don't think it's necessarily true. I don't think it will take long to get set up. It's not like the old days where you rebuild for 35 years. The contract situation is apparently difficult next year and 2014 will be the next big push which will probably lead to many people joing Fireman Ed and jumping off the cliff.

When we had those deep playoff pushes, we played great defense, we ran the ball well, and we had great special teams. Through losing players and of equal importance, aging players, we are left with a team that is a shell of those teams that were still far from good enough to get it done in 2009 and 2010. Tannenbaum has shown nothing to suggest that he can right this ship. What he's shown, over the years, is that he can make a big splash. Well, he made them, and what we all ignored as fans is that we'd have to pay the bill for them. Now we are. We have almost no depth, and we have huge contracts going to guys who aren't contributing in kind. To make matters worse, we've busted on a lot of high picks (Sanchez, Wilson, Gholston, Vlad) in a short amount of time. To make matters worse, we have very limited cap space left.

So, to recap. Bad QB with a big contract and no Kapernick type player on the roster, no real option at running back, a mess on the offensive line with two highly paid starters, an overpaid malcontent injured WR and a guy who can't catch with a decent slot WR... That's your offense. On defense, there are brutally slow and old linebackers with awful contracts, a promising but not yet performing DLine, two good CBs but tons of money at the position, and who knows what we'll do at safety. Oh, and we have no money.

Yeah, time to blow it up. Tannenbaum has gotten 7 years and this is where we are. Very few GMs last that long without a super bowl appearance.

When we had those deep playoff pushes, we played great defense, we ran the ball well, and we had great special teams. Through losing players and of equal importance, aging players, we are left with a team that is a shell of those teams that were still far from good enough to get it done in 2009 and 2010. Tannenbaum has shown nothing to suggest that he can right this ship. What he's shown, over the years, is that he can make a big splash. Well, he made them, and what we all ignored as fans is that we'd have to pay the bill for them. Now we are. We have almost no depth, and we have huge contracts going to guys who aren't contributing in kind. To make matters worse, we've busted on a lot of high picks (Sanchez, Wilson, Gholston, Vlad) in a short amount of time. To make matters worse, we have very limited cap space left.

So, to recap. Bad QB with a big contract and no Kapernick type player on the roster, no real option at running back, a mess on the offensive line with two highly paid starters, an overpaid malcontent injured WR and a guy who can't catch with a decent slot WR... That's your offense. On defense, there are brutally slow and old linebackers with awful contracts, a promising but not yet performing DLine, two good CBs but tons of money at the position, and who knows what we'll do at safety. Oh, and we have no money.

Yeah, time to blow it up. Tannenbaum has gotten 7 years and this is where we are. Very few GMs last that long without a super bowl appearance.

Whatever. I knew this was the response I was going to get.

I specifically didn't try to make the point that Tannenbaum was the guy to make the changes. I believe that I actually said that. OTOH, the "blow it up" sh*t is tired. Like I said, it doesn't take 5 years to rebuild anymore. This team went from 2007 to the AFC Championship with a sh*tty rookie QB in 2009. It doesn't take that much time or that many players. It does take a hell of a lot of luck, but my point was simply that even though we may be far away, it might not take very long.

I didn't defend Tannenbaum because I don't see the point. Things aren't going well and it sure seems like his fault. You don't think he's shown he could right this ship? Who put together those 2009 and 2010 teams? Who took over that abomination from 2005? Stop acting like the ****ing guy is Kotite. You don't like him? Fair enough. They don't look very good.

I consider myself to be an optimistic fan.

But, the incarnation of this current team gives me little to be optimistic about for the future. The reason more so than any other is its leadership. Or lack thereof.

Tannebaum seems to be unqualified in running the business of a football team and building it. He is not a talent evaluator and does not understood the intricacies of putting a football team together. Of a philosophy of building an organization. His is a world of numbers and metrics, which do not shape football teams with talent.

Rex Ryan seems unqualified to lead a full team. He might have inherited this gene from his daddy, who was ill equipped to be able to maturely lead separate units and manage them to mesh as a TEAM. Rex seems baffled when young men act out of immaturity to the detriment of the team. What he does not realize is that young men need to be molded and mentored in how to perform as a football team. Giving "C"'s out like they are candy is not the solve-all.

Rex is the ultimate "player's coach" who have a short shelf in terms of respect earned and demanded. The Jets are your typical "little league" team where playing time is earned by if you are friendly with the coach, or you are a "legacy". To be dislodged is simply an act that Rex is unable to bring himself to. Too many hurt feelings, which he seems to try and avoid.

Accountability has no place on the Jets, unless you want to shorten its root word to what our GM is good at.

Call me the "SOJ" if you will, but this is a tough team to watch. Even worse, it is a tough team to like because I know the GM and HC are both incompetent. And their incompetency makes it hard for potential "feel-good" stories from unlikely heroes. The Jets HC staff does not like unlikely heroes, because they are so enthralled with status quo-"Hey, this is a group that took us to 2 AFCCG's".

That is their fool's gold. I refuse to make it mine and smile in the face of stupidity.

Honestly, who gives a sh*t what the Jets have done since 2007 or since 1997?

The only thing that matters is how the Jets are playing right now and what kind of shape they look to be in going forward.

So, while the facts of this article are true, the Jets over the last decade and a half have not been terrible as a whole, these "terrible" fans, as you paint with a broad brush, are hoping to win a championship in the present or the near future (as winning based on past accomplishments is impossible), and the current Jets are now 4-7, coming off an 8-8 season, and have lost 8 games in the past 2 seasons by 20 or more points, and are in no position to win anything of substance.

Oh, and optimism and pessimism are future based constructs, so your conclusion (Jets fans are hopelessly pessimistic without good reason) is wildly off base.

Any time the Jets have fell below .500, they've bounced back with a 9-10 win season the following year. I dont think its a "major overhaul". I think it seems like that because we have the worst QB in the NFL. Everyone on offense will look better with a different QB. Sure, we still need some more talent on offense but how can you accurately assess anyone with Sanchez throwing them the ball?

With Revis back, all the D needs is an overhaul at LB'ers. I think the DL will be very good moving forward and the secondary is nasty with Cro, Revis and Landry (assuming the resign him, which I would, he's one of the few guys giving it everything he's got every down).

Fans go straight to doom, thats what we do. But I dont think its insurmountable to find a couple of OLB better than what we have, a WR, some OL help and a RB all in one offseason. Nor would I call that a major overhaul. It just feels that way because finding a QB is so damn hard, especially for the Jets.

Whatever. I knew this was the response I was going to get.

I specifically didn't try to make the point that Tannenbaum was the guy to make the changes. I believe that I actually said that. OTOH, the "blow it up" sh*t is tired. Like I said, it doesn't take 5 years to rebuild anymore. This team went from 2007 to the AFC Championship with a sh*tty rookie QB in 2009. It doesn't take that much time or that many players. It does take a hell of a lot of luck, but my point was simply that even though we may be far away, it might not take very long.

I didn't defend Tannenbaum because I don't see the point. Things aren't going well and it sure seems like his fault. You don't think he's shown he could right this ship? Who put together those 2009 and 2010 teams? Who took over that abomination from 2005? Stop acting like the ****ing guy is Kotite. You don't like him? Fair enough. They don't look very good.

He bought those teams. He didn't draft them. The bill has come due. We're not in a position to make those kind of moves again right now. Nor will we be next year.

Teams that stay competitive for longer periods of time build through the draft. We've ignored the draft in order to make the push we just did. The cost is obvious.

Any time the Jets have fell below .500, they've bounced back with a 9-10 win season the following year. I dont think its a "major overhaul". I think it seems like that because we have the worst QB in the NFL. Everyone on offense will look better with a different QB. Sure, we still need some more talent on offense but how can you accurately assess anyone with Sanchez throwing them the ball?

With Revis back, all the D needs is an overhaul at LB'ers. I think the DL will be very good moving forward and the secondary is nasty with Cro, Revis and Landry (assuming the resign him, which I would, he's one of the few guys giving it everything he's got every down).

Fans go straight to doom, thats what we do. But I dont think its insurmountable to find a couple of OLB better than what we have, a WR, some OL help and a RB all in one offseason. Nor would I call that a major overhaul. It just feels that way because finding a QB is so damn hard, especially for the Jets.

To ignore the rudderless leadership, and how they have left this team in a talent lurch, is whistling past the grave yard.

Any time the Jets have fell below .500, they've bounced back with a 9-10 win season the following year. I dont think its "major overhaul". I think it seems like that because we have the worst QB in the NFL. Everyone on offense will look better with a different QB. Sure, we still need some more talent on offense but how can you accurately assess anyone with Sanchez throwing them the ball?

With Revis back, all the D needs is an overhaul at LB'ers. I think the DL will be very good moving forward and the secondary is nasty with Cro, Revis and Landry (assuming the resign him, which I would, he's one of the few guys giving it everything he's got ever down).

Fans go straight to doom, thats what we do. But I dont think its insurmountable to find a couple of OLB better than what we have, a WR, some OL help and a RB all in one offseason. Nor would I call that a major overhaul.

Obviously I think the whole offense will get better when Sanchez is replaced. But, that could be a long time before we have a real QB in there. What's the actual plan for a replacement?

4 LBs is a pretty major overhaul. We also have to figure out how to pay Revis, pay the safeties, and hope the Ellis turns into a player.

We still only have one real WR at the moment, we don't know what will happen with Holmes as far as how he plays, and we're not going to pay Keller, so what do we do at TE?

I'm not saying every player needs to be replaced, but we need a lot of new blood. Teams in bad shape. Evidenced by it's performance.

Hey, this was a decent run. It did not culminate in what we wanted, but there were some high points.

But, let's not act like a love lost high school girl who refuses to give up on her first love, even though he beats and mistreats her.

Let's recognize this for what it is-a badly managed organization-and fix it.

He bought those teams. He didn't draft them. The bill has come due. We're not in a position to make those kind of moves again right now. Nor will we be next year.

Teams that stay competitive for longer periods of time build through the draft. We've ignored the draft in order to make the push we just did. The cost is obvious.

I actually was trying to go and edit that because I only responded to you and my comments are more general. Aimed at the general attack posts. This is where I am coming from: you and most of these other guys have plenty of reason to be down on Tannenbaum and want him gone. No dispute there. I'd give him more time, but understand where you are coming from and wouldn't try to dissuade you - I doubt I could. OTOH, many people here attack a guy like Stoic for defending the current regime and IMO there is plenty of reason to give them respect and more time. The current results are poor, but these clueless guys didn't just luck into consecutive AFC championships. Yes, they didn't win the super bowl, yes they've made obvious blunders, but they aren't the talentless hacks some here would have you believe.

Obviously I think the whole offense will get better when Sanchez is replaced. But, that could be a long time before we have a real QB in there. What's the actual plan for a replacement?

4 LBs is a pretty major overhaul. We also have to figure out how to pay Revis, pay the safeties, and hope the Ellis turns into a player.

We still only have one real WR at the moment, we don't know what will happen with Holmes as far as how he plays, and we're not going to pay Keller, so what do we do at TE?

I'm not saying every player needs to be replaced, but we need a lot of new blood. Teams in bad shape. Evidenced by it's performance.

I will respond to this too, because this is my point about not being that far away. They don't need 4 LBs. They already have Davis who has looked fine. A guy like Mauga may also be capable. They have transitioned to more 4-3, so McIntyre and Coples are in there as replacements for one. IMO, Pace and Harris aren't horrid, but they are too slow to pick up for the others. All of those guys have NFL value IMO. They are just overpaid and as a group unable to cover enough ground. Add one with speed with Davis and the other two are okay. In fact the D is fine as it is. Even without Revis. They don't have to pay those safeties. They have to pay two safeties. Not a big deal.

Keller will probably go? Okay. I'm okay with Reuland and Cumberland. I think they both do a decent job. Add one playmaker - even if it's Holmes getting off his ass and they are okay as TEs. I like Keller but didn't much like the pick because I believe the difference between a guy like Cumberland (or even Reuland who is close to dime a dozen) isn't worth the pick. Add 1 playmaker and the others are fine. Not easy, I know.

I will add that they will probably have to spend some money or a pick at RB because McKnight and Powell have been brittle and they aren't likely to pay Greene. They need upgrading at the position, though IMO all those guys belong in the league.

To ignore the rudderless leadership, and how they have left this team in a talent lurch, is whistling past the grave yard.

2nd time I've heard that phrase on the board recently, I like it. The talent lurch is obvious, but its not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Thats my point. The Jets dont need an overhaul, they need a few things here and there and a QB.

Nobody had a problem with the leadership until the Holmes episode last season. Rex's fault, no doubt. However, I like a leader who can show humility, admit to his mistakes and try to work on them. Unfortunately for him, they are losing and as we know, winning cures all.

I got caught watching pregame stuff on ESPN Sunday and Ditka says anyone who thinks Rex should be fired needs to stop. And Ditka is god.

4 LB'ers? Harris isnt going anywhere and I think Davis is a nice compliment. We need OLB'ers. Thats the biggest problem. Thomas and Pace are dead. WR's can be a quick easy fix.

I truly believe, you replace the QB, and this entire team looks different. I do. Not saying they turn into the best team in the league but it impacts the entire team so much its crazy, just look at the Colts.

Archived