Debunking the "Same Old Jets" Myths

stoicsentry

Obviously plenty of people disagree with you, but I don't think anyone has a problem with that point of view per se. The problem is when Baghdad Bob posts some bit of half-cocked nonsense about how we should all be grateful we're not Browns fans, then uses it to conclude that anyone who's calling for heads to roll amidst a 4-7 embarrassment is "completely blind to reality" and rooting for the team to lose. We had to listen to this sh*t from the Penningtologists, then again from the Sanchez Weaponizers, and now we have to hear it from the Ministry of Truth. Enough already.

Yeah. I know where you are coming from because that is what I am bitching at Dierking about. Sure Rex has plenty of flaws, but being a big mouthed ape is not his problem as a coach. It may be annoying, but it's not why he should be fired.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will repeat myself for the thousandth time. I understand where you are coming from and don't think it's unreasonable. I would give him more time. I have seen enough good to let me give him more time. That's all I am saying.

Right but what I don't understand is why you can't understand where I'm coming from and why you think it's so unreasonable.

Yeah. I know where you are coming from because that is what I am bitching at Dierking about. Sure Rex has plenty of flaws, but being a big mouthed ape is not his problem as a coach. It may be annoying, but it's not why he should be fired.

Being a big mouth ape exasperates all of those other flaws.

I don't like being like this with a team I love. i would like to wish away the bad and hope it gets better. I can't do that this time. The bad that I see, usually lingers, and putting off the re-building of this team may cost 2 or 3 other years of frustration.

Obviously plenty of people disagree with you, but I don't think anyone has a problem with that point of view per se. The problem is when Baghdad Bob posts some bit of half-cocked nonsense about how we should all be grateful we're not Browns fans, then uses it to conclude that anyone who's calling for heads to roll amidst a 4-7 embarrassment is "completely blind to reality" and rooting for the team to lose. We had to listen to this sh*t from the Penningtologists, then again from the Sanchez Weaponizers, and now we have to hear it from the Ministry of Truth. Enough already.

What's worst about it is that it's completely insulting to the effort I made this past offseason into talking myself into the ideas that the defense would be amazeballs and that Sparano could do for Sanchez's TO's as he did for Pennington and we could be the 49ers because of that. I tried. I tried hard. And it hurts that there's no credit for that.

The biggest issue that I have with Rex is his blind loyalty and love of Mark Sanchez.

It's clear to anyone that watches a game that Mark is a below average QB who continues to make the same mistakes in year 4 as he made on day 1. He continues to make horrible decisions, misses wide open TD throws, and looks like the master of panic in the pocket as soon as a play begins to break down.

Yet week in and week out Rex continues to trot Mark out there for his 2 turnovers, 1 of which is a TD for the defense and the other is a drive killing red zone int.

You cannot win football games with this formula but rather than make changes and try something else Rex and his blind loyalty continue to tell the world how "mark did some good things", and "I thought mark threw the ball well".

If Rex came out tomorrow and said "Mark Sanchez will never start another game for the NYJ" I think a lot of the fans would immediately change their opinion of Rex.

I read this theme a lot here. The reason I don't buy into it is that I just simply don't believe Rex when he talks about Sanchez that way. I don't think Rex believes it. I think he's a guy whose hands are tied, and he knows it. Either he's getting marching orders to keep Sanchez on the field do to the contract extension, or he's been given orders to keep Tebow off the field because of the escalators that kick in if he gets x number of snaps, or it's just that Tebow and McElroy suck so bad he has no other choice. Whatever it is, the man has been around football long enough to know that Sanchez is not playing well. And rather than throwing the kid under the bus -where he rightly belongs- he's continuing to try to talk him up and build his confidence. Because Mark is a fragile flower who needs coddling, and he has nowhere else to turn.

I was actually in favor of keeping Rex on until last week happened. You can't have this many blowouts in a season and expect to keep your job. That press conference sealed the deal for me. The guy has lost it. His players don't show up to play. He doesn't hold anyone accountable. And the worst part about all of that is that even he can't explain why anymore. That's when you know it's time to say goodbye.

I prefer that he doesn't call players out in the press, so again, that stuff doesn't bother me. If holding people accountable means benching them, then we get back to the issue that the Jets have no depth anywhere outside the DL.

I'm not married to the guy. I'll support the organization whether they choose to stick with him another year or go in another direction. If Tannenbaum stays, that's another story. But as far as Rex is concerned, I see him as a genuine asset. I think he's a smart football guy who's gonna get scooped up elsewhere in a heartbeat if the Jets let him go. It could be a Peter Principle thing, but he still could grow into the HC job, too. Given the Jets salary cap/ personnel issues for 2013, I'd be inclined to keep him another year and see what he can do. Then, 2014 becomes a good year to blow everything up, when a lot of bad contracts can come off the books with less pain.

It is really bad ownership. We have had incompetent ownership. And who sells to who? Owners, that's who. The next time the jets (please God!) sell, they should be forced to take the best 5 bids, drop them in a hat, blindfold Woody and spin him 5 times before he picks a name. That way his incompetence cannot enter into the argument. If he picks a loser, then I would say there is something to this SOJ argument.

http://fifthdown.blo...-old-jets-myth/

This is a great article, it really shows why the Jets fan base is so terrible... completely blind to reality. But unlike Bills fans who are hopelessly optimistic without good reason, Jets fans are hopelessly pessimistic without good reason.

I think it is just that when the jets do go bad, it always looks like an unflushed toilet bowl.

Archived