Jets Sign WR Mardy Gilyard

JetNation

The NY Jets Wide Receivers have left a lot to be desired this season.  After Santonio Holmes went on I.R. there hasn’t been a lot to be excited about beyond Jeremy Kerley.  This week the news gets even worse as both Chaz Schilens and Clyde Gates are both recovering from concussions.  Depth at WR is beyond thin, so the Jets made a roster move today to get another healthy body on the field.  They also made some practice squad moves.

The New York Jets have signed
WR Mardy Gilyard
to the active roster, and
WR Eddie McGee
and
T Dennis Landolt
to the practice squad. The announcements were made by General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Gilyard (WR/6-1/187/Cincinnati/Daytona Beach, FL)

entered the NFL as a 2010 fourth-round draft pick of St. Louis. In one season with the Rams, he caught six passes for 63 yards before he was waived following the 2011 preseason (09/03/11). Gilyard was claimed off waivers by the Jets (09/04/11), but was waived (09/10/11) prior to the season opener. He signed with Philadelphia (01/06/12) and was waived during the preseason (08/31/12). Gilyard re-signed with the Eagles (09/10/12) and played in six games before being waived (11/23/12). In two NFL seasons, he has appeared in 17 games and has logged six receptions for 63 yards. For his career, Gilyard has returned 16 kicks for an average of 22.3 yards and two punts for a 7.5-yard average.  He will wear number 16.

McGee (WR/6-3/210/Illinois/Washington, DC)

joined the NFL as an undrafted free agent with Oakland (07/28/11). He spent the preseason with the Raiders before being waived (09/03/11), and signed to their practice squad (09/04/11), where he spent the entire season. McGee re-signed with Oakland (01/05/12), but was waived during the preseason (08/31/12). He will wear number 88.

Landolt (T/6-4/306/Penn State/Burlington, NJ)

was an undrafted free agent signing of the New York Giants (04/20/10). In his career, he has spent time on the practice squads of the Giants, 49ers, Jets and Saints. This season, Landolt spent three games on the Jets active roster this season before he was waived (09/24/12). He was signed to the Jets practice squad (09/27/12) prior to being released (10/30/12). Landolt will wear number 76.

In two NFL seasons, he has appeared in 17 games and has logged six receptions for 63 yards. For his career, Gilyard has returned 16 kicks for an average of 22.3 yards and two punts for a 7.5-yard average. He will wear number 16.

Maybe they want him to return kicks and punts? Kerley has been dinged up and WIlson didn't look too good back there. McKnight has been hurt all year and is coming off his handoff to the Pats. Gilyard is fast and he looked decent in one preseason game with the Eagles that I saw. I can't remember if it was as a receiver or on the coverage team, but I remember thinking he would make the Eagles.

Landolt (T/6-4/306/Penn State/Burlington, NJ) was an undrafted free agent signing of the New York Giants (04/20/10). In his career, he has spent time on the practice squads of the Giants, 49ers, Jets and Saints. This season, Landolt spent three games on the Jets active roster this season before he was waived (09/24/12). He was signed to the Jets practice squad (09/27/12) prior to being released (10/30/12). Landolt will wear number 76.

<div style="float: left; " wpa-nomargin"="">

I thought this guy was hurt? I thought he dislocated his knee or had reconstruction, yet they still keep bouncing him around between the active and practice rosters. Did they misdiagnose his knee or is this one of those inexplicable things like keeping Turner, Thomas and Revis around for weeks after their season ending injuries? It has cost us valuable picks in the mini-draft!

Maybe they want him to return kicks and punts? Kerley has been dinged up and WIlson didn't look too good back there. McKnight has been hurt all year and is coming off his handoff to the Pats. Gilyard is fast and he looked decent in one preseason game with the Eagles that I saw. I can't remember if it was as a receiver or on the coverage team, but I remember thinking he would make the Eagles.

I am sure Wilson can run back punts. I am not so sure he can catch them or hold onto them. He is just another punk on the field. Mardy Gilyard? Oh wow--the backsliding stops-TODAY!

I am sure Wilson can run back punts. I am not so sure he can catch them or hold onto them.

Absolutely - his certain to occur schwansing of punts missed the Pats highlight reel - but is only a matter of chances away from creating it's own. Please confine him to finger wagging on the passes he gets toasted on that are dropped or overthrown.

McGee (WR/6-3/210/Illinois/Washington, DC)
joined the NFL as an undrafted free agent with Oakland (07/28/11). He spent the preseason with the Raiders before being waived (09/03/11), and signed to their practice squad (09/04/11), where he spent the entire season. McGee re-signed with Oakland (01/05/12), but was waived during the preseason (08/31/12). He will wear number 88.

<div style="float: left;" wpa-nomargin"="">

Perhaps another opportunity for unfulfilled tomfoolery - McGee played QB at U of I and had a 56 yard TD pass to Arrelious Benn in the 07 Rose Bowl.

I am sure Wilson can run back punts. I am not so sure he can catch them or hold onto them. He is just another punk on the field. Mardy Gilyard? Oh wow--the backsliding stops-TODAY!

The way Kerley and McKnight muffs catches, could it really be a step down with Wilson? Lateral move at worst. I don't know about you guys, but I am excited to see Wilson return kicks in a marginal fashion, and then stand up and wag his finger like he is unstoppable... down at our own 12 yard line.

Archived