Mark Sanchez sticks to his "Sliding" story

BlackDynamite

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8688285/mark-sanchez-new-york-jets-compares-fumble-car-crash

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez has committed 41 turnovers over the past two seasons, second-most in the NFL. The 41st won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Six days after his infamous butt fumble, which became an instant Internet sensation, a sheepish Sanchez compared it to a car crash.

"It's embarrassing," Sanchez said Wednesday, addressing it for the first time since his postgame interview. "You screw up the play and I'm trying to do the right thing. It's not like I'm trying to force something. I start to slide and I slide in the worst spot I possibly could --- right into (right guard) Brandon Moore.

Jets blog

nyj.gif

Looking for more on

the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered.
Blog »

Week 12 gallery
photo.png

"I guess (I was) more stunned than anything. It was just like & a car accident. I was like, 'Whoa, what just happened? The ball is gone.' It was weird, man. That sucked."

The play could be the defining moment of the Jets' disappointing season, which hit rock bottom with a 49-19 loss to the New England Patriots.

In the middle of a 52-second span in the second quarter, during which the Jets allowed three touchdowns, Sanchez -- after an aborted handoff -- ran directly into Moore's backside. He went down hard, the ball came loose and it was returned by the Patriots for a touchdown -- a football folly for the ages. "It'll probably be on a blooper reel for a while," Sanchez said.

The play was depicted last Sunday in a New York Post cartoon, with a Jets helmet attached to Moore's rear end and no sign of Sanchez's body -- just a chalk outline on the field.

Sanchez said teammate Nick Mangold razzed him about the cartoon. The Jets' embattled quarterback managed to laugh about it. At this point, it's either laugh or cry. This has been the most challenging season of his career, and it hit the lowpoint with last week's embarrassing loss, which dropped the Jets to 4-7.

Turns out Sanchez was indirectly responsible for the retirement of longtime Jets super-fan Ed Anzalone, who announced he no longer will attend games as Fireman Ed because he was constantly harassed by other fans for wearing a Sanchez jersey to games this season.

"Obviously, if his safety is in jeopardy, maybe it's a good move," said Sanchez, adding that he appreciated Fireman Ed's support.

The Sanchez-Tim Tebow dynamic -- now a controversy -- has overshadowed the entire franchise. This week, Sanchez doesn't have to worry about Tebow taking his job; Tebow (fractured ribs) is a question mark for Sunday's game against the Arizona Cardinals. But in the big picture, Sanchez's inconsistent play has caused concern within the organization.

Not that Rex Ryan would ever admit that. The Jets' coach is fiercely protective of Sanchez, refusing to publicly criticize him for any mistakes.

"To put the blame on one person, I don't think that's appropriate," said Ryan, who has surrounded Sanchez with a suspect receiving corps.

Sanchez has 10 interceptions -- not an awful total -- but they've been costly because of where they've occurred. He has thrown six inside the opponents' 37-yard line, including a league-high four interceptions in the red zone.

"You can say, 'Just don't do it.' I think we've said that a bunch," Ryan said. "I don't think that's going to fix it. You look more into why those mistakes are made. Those are things you try to fix."

The Jets committed to Sanchez through at least 2013 by giving him a contract extension last offseason, guaranteeing $8.25 million next year. It virtually ensures his return, but it's tough to win games with a mistake-prone quarterback.

Asked about the 41 turnovers, Sanchez shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know. Just doing my best. We'll see how these next five games go."

No matter what happens, he'll never live down the Butt Fumble, which already is being called one of the biggest bloopers in team history.

"I don't know how to explain it," Sanchez said. "It was a wild one. & Hopefully, we'll laugh about it later."

That's his story, and he's sticking to it. Until the bitter end......

BD

Slide isn't the problem-HANG ONTO THE GODDAMN BALL! This guy 4 years in has gotten worse at ball security. It's inexcusable for an NFL QB to shart the ball away at least once or twice every week, along with the weekly back-breaking INT every game.

I thought he was sliding. I said it at the time. Moore got blown up too. You can't see it well in that clip, but I think Moore was further to the left and was crushed in front of Sanchez. Still a horrible play and all on Mark though it was broken from the start because either Sanchez or the back went the wrong way on what should have been a simple handoff.

What's the other option? Those monsters weren't there when he started sliding. Wilfork created that more than anything else/

You're looking at a closeup. There was no space to slide and giant monsters don't move fast enough to close in from that many yards away (enough yards away to have room to slide) that fast.

He panicked. Again.

What's the other option? Keep it and roll outside and throw it away. Or not run up into the pile and (even though it's a designed run play with no Jet looking for the ball) intentionally throw it at someone's feet, or over someone's head out of bounds, for a sure incompletion.

Or just know what the ****ing play is 100% of the time.

Did Sanchez say that was on him? Hilliard seems lost all the time, especially in pass protection.

Yes, he said it was on him.

This is what I mean about excuse-makers always assuming every miscommunication was someone else's fault. The guy admitted on the podium it was his fault and you still blame the FB.

sanchez21.gif

If that was a slide attempt we might have to bring back Joe Girardi to work with him again, were his eyes ****ing closed?

Sanchez is an idiot, but the gif shows he was trying to slide. Look at his feet before contact. They are going in front of him. That's a sliding move. When the gif starts his feet are behind him in running locamotion.

Sanchez is an idiot, but the gif shows he was trying to slide. Look at his feet before contact. They are going in front of him. That's a sliding move. When the gif starts his feet are behind him in running locamotion.

idk if you just look at his feat it looks like his feet are infront of his body. The problem is his head was so far forward it hit first so his feet may have kept moving

You're looking at a closeup. There was no space to slide and giant monsters don't move fast enough to close in from that many yards away (enough yards away to have room to slide) that fast.

He panicked. Again.

What's the other option? Keep it and roll outside and throw it away. Or not run up into the pile and (even though it's a designed run play with no Jet looking for the ball) intentionally throw it at someone's feet, or over someone's head out of bounds, for a sure incompletion.

wouldn't a pass attempt result in an illegal downfield blocker penatly ? I was thinking he deserves credit for not throwing it away.

he should have tried to run clear of the line, then slid

sliding into a pile of 300 lb monsters is dumb tho

I agree. He clearly wanted to slide. It was a terribly chosen time to slide (who slides INTO a pile?) and he still had his eyes closed, and still managed to get the ball knocked loose by the very first body part that got near him.

But he was definitely trying to slide.

I agree. He clearly wanted to slide. It was a terribly chosen time to slide (who slides INTO a pile?) and he still had his eyes closed, and still managed to get the ball knocked loose by the very first body part that got near him.

But he was definitely trying to slide.

im probably 60% sure he was trying to slide but his upper body and lower body tell two different stories

He panicked. Again.

Sanchez is a pure POS. Peyton Manning has had to run for his life this year but at least he tries to get away. He is more mobile than a guy 10 years younger. What a waste of a draft pick.

Archived