Myers: Scott says fans cursing at Jets were probably 'picked last in dodgeball'

THE ILK

col_hdr_myers.jpg

Bart Scott isn't fazed by angry, disappointed NY Jets fans yelling slew of derogatory comments at Gang Green

In addition to Scott, Tim Tebow said he didn’t hear the fans chanting for him as he left the field at the half of Pats game, either

Comments (14)

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 9:52 PM

Updated: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 2:40 AM

large-bart-scott-fans.jpg

Corey Sipkin, Andrew Theodorakis/New York Daily News

Bart Scott’s (r.) remarks come following a video that depicts an ugly scene as Gang Green headed to the locker room entrance following a humiliating 35-3 first half against the Patriots.

Bart Scott has a message for Jets fans who mercilessly heckled the team as it walked to the locker room at halftime following the 52 Seconds From Hell against the Patriots: He doesn’t care what you say or think.

“At the end of the day, if you made it to be able to put an NFL uniform on, then you are one of the best athletes in the world,” Scott told the Daily News. “The person yelling at you probably was picked last in dodgeball all through high school. So do you care about the opinion of them? No.”

Scott’s comments came as Deadspin posted a video depicting an ugly scene as Jets players and coaches headed to the locker room entrance directly behind their bench following a humiliating 35-3 first half against New England. Disgusted and furious Jets fans who couldn’t take it anymore hurled expletives at their heroes from less than 10 feet away.

RELATED: SANCHEZ IS NO SHOO-IN FOR 2013 NOD

JETS INSIDER: IF TEBOW HITS FIELD, IT'LL BE IN THE CARDS

The comments tossed at the Jets were filled with such venom it was a bit surprising not one player fired back as Rex Ryan did last year, costing him a $75,000 fine. They all just kept walking.

Scott insisted Wednesday that he didn’t hear the fans berating the team, even though he was within point-blank range. Maybe it’s because, like the rest of the players, he had his helmet on, even though the helmets don’t come equipped with earplugs.

When informed of the comments captured on video, Scott said the Jets have become conditioned to their fans yelling nasty things at them at home.

“That’s what we always get. We get stuff like that all the time,” he said. “Trust me, that’s not out of the ordinary. You get that behind our bench while we are playing. Trust me, there’s been worse stuff said behind there.”

I asked Scott, who most likely is playing his last five games with the Jets, if he can understand how frustration can lead to these outbursts. “Does it make it right?” he said. “Some of the personal attacks — I can only imagine.”

myers29s-2-web.jpg

Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

Even Snoopy can’t help fan who finds no life in Jets and bags rest of game.

It’s been a rough week for the Jets and their fans. At just about the same time Fireman Ed was leaving MetLife Stadium on Thanksgiving night and subsequently retiring as the unofficial team mascot, an angry group congregated at the railing at the bottom of one of the expensive Coaches Club sections of the stadium as the half ended. They group was in an area that directly overlooks the path the players take to the locker room.

The Coaches Club seats come with at least a $20,000 PSL and $700-per-game ticket price, but fans can also buy them on a per-game basis on the secondary market. Fans from other sections of the stadium can’t move to empty seats in the Coaches Club because those sections have a separate entrance. Was Scott surprised it was the fans in the highest-priced seats who were giving them such a hard time?

“No,” he said. “Those are the ones who feel more entitled. I would love to go to his job and see what he does and sit in his ear and talk stuff.”

As the Jets paraded past the fans, here’s a sampling of some of verbal grenades that came their way accompanied by loud boos:

“You are pathetic. Every one of you.”

“You suck!”

“Un f---ingbelievable!”

“You guys are a disgrace!”

“You are bums!”

“You’re terrible!”

“Tebow, I want you in the second half!”

“You should be ashamed of yourself!”

“Tebow, save us!”

“Tebow!”

“You suck Sanchez!”

“Don’t even come out after halftime!”

“Garbage! Garbage! Garbage!”

None of them was chanting, J-E-T-S. Jets. Jets. Jets. After all, Fireman Ed had left the building.

myers29s-3-web.jpg

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

Jets fans watch in agony as their team struggles.

Tebow, who was active despite having two broken ribs, said he didn’t hear the fans chanting for him as he left the field at the half. He said he tries not to pay attention to anything the fans say. “I didn’t even hear any of it,” he said. “I didn’t see any of the videos.”

At MetLife Stadium, the Jets exit the locker room and enter the field before the game through a tunnel in the corner of the end zone. At halftime, they enter the locker room through a side door 15 or so yards behind their bench. Fans from the Coaches Club seats are allowed to stand in a small area on the field just outside the field level club. These fans, virtually within arm’s length of the players when they near the locker room, were not yelling at them. One of them was taking a video with his cell phone.

The Jets had given up touchdowns to the Patriots on offense, defense and special teams in 52 seconds of the second quarter to fall behind 28-0 with 8:51 still left before the half. Fans pay good money and have the right to express their opinion when they don’t feel they are getting their money’s worth, but sometimes they cross the line. Jets fans were hardly in the holiday spirit after leaving the Thanksgiving table to spend the evening with the Jets.

Antonio Cromartie, the second player to enter the area leading to the locker room at the half, actually slapped hands with one of the fans above him as he neared the entrance before the crowd got loud and angry.

“It comes with the territory,” Scott said. “The same people two years ago were cheering, “We love you, we love.” They love you, they hate you. That’s what you sign up for. As long as they don’t put their hands on you, who cares what they say? Because they don’t know that they don’t know. We’re doing something that they couldn’t do.”

I asked Ryan on Wednesday whether he felt the Jets needed to win back the fans.

“No, but I’ll say this — I think obviously the fans were as upset as we were,” he said. “That was obviously a very disappointing performance. Like I said after the game, the fans deserve better. We all deserve better.”

The Jets have two jobs Sunday: Beat the Cardinals, who are on a seven-game losing streak and, like the Jets, are 4-7, and not get beaten down by their fans.

MOBILE USERS: CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEO (STRONG LANGUAGE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vi7Qv0aZGc0

Buy Jets Tickets

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...7#ixzz2DcJSTPPq

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott did point out what the problem is with many NFL players these days... They are surrounded with coaching staff and PR people and agents and managers who tell them they are of an elite class of "world caliber" athletes, and automatically they believe that everyone else is retarded..

Probably the best players to ever play the game decided not to go pro...after college. He is an idiot..and would be well served to have one of those hired idiots tell him not to speak in public.

The Jet organization, devoid of leadership has no idea how to handle these types of situations. Regardless of how you feel, do not take it to the media. It only makes you look more trite and sensitive.

But, with a loudmouth like Ryan in charge, who feels it is appropriate to tell everyone exactly what he is thinking, this is what you get.

The Jets PR department could stand to talk to some of these guys.

Boomer and Carton have put up $50,000 to go Bart's favorite charity to play a game of dodgeball against him.

Your move Bart

Boomer was an elite athlete, Scott's opinion is just that his opinion, I'm willing to bet the majority of posters here fit I. The picked last category.

That top picture is classic. The looks of disappointment on their faces. Too funny. I was going back for some extra Turkey and the entire family was laughing our asses off at how pathetic they were but I recon if I was there, I'd been pretty pissed off too.

Bart Scott can go **** himself. He's an overpaid part-time LB'er these days. He was great here the first 2 years, so some of his antics were funny, but he's worthless now and when you suck and talk as much as he does, it falls on deaf ears.

FTR - I'd whip Bart Scott ass in dodge ball. He's slow as dirt. He'd be a sitting duck on a dodge ball court. And I've got a rifle for an arm.

Also, I've never been picked last in anything in my life - so **** you Bart, you and the Jets are terrible pathetic garbage bums.

Of course this insecure twat insults the fans back. Of course he does.

Personally, I think if this moron was the guy Rex defers to when it comes to setting the tone for the locker room it is no wonder this team's character is all talk, no walk.

Mouth always running, always with the tough talking, making threats and taunts, and backing up none of it... I dunno... I only took a couple of psych classes in college, but I'd say all signs point to Bart Scott have insecurity and inadequacy issues. Why else would he feel the need to over-compensate constantly with his mouth?

FTR - I'd whip Bart Scott ass in dodge ball. He's slow as dirt. He'd be a sitting duck on a dodge ball court. And I've got a rifle for an arm.

Also, I've never been picked last in anything in my life - so **** you Bart, you and the Jets are terrible pathetic garbage bums.

Awesome, you show em'!

Seriously... this.

That top picture is classic. The looks of disappointment on their faces. Too funny. I was going back for some extra Turkey and the entire family was laughing our asses off at how pathetic they were but I recon if I was there, I'd been pretty pissed off too.

Bart Scott can go **** himself. He's an overpaid part-time LB'er these days. He was great here the first 2 years, so some of his antics were funny, but he's worthless now and when you suck and talk as much as he does, it false on deaf ears.

He was never "great". He filled a starting roster spot, that is all.

He's a piece of garbage. Guys like him can't be relied on as the veterans that guide a ball club. He's too insecure, not selfless enough to lead men. He's basically a mouthy punk. Can't wait until he's not on this team.

Boomer was an elite athlete, Scott's opinion is just that his opinion, I'm willing to bet the majority of posters here fit I. The picked last category.

I'll bet you're as wrong about this as most of the crap you put on here.

Don't parlay your own sorry circumstance into that of the other members.

He was never "great". He filled a starting roster spot, that is all.

He's a piece of garbage. Guys like him can't be relied on as the veterans that guide a ball club. He's too insecure, not selfless enough to lead men. He's basically a mouthy punk. Can't wait until he's not on this team.

No, he was great. He was a beast his first 2 seasons here. For his role, as the guy who takes on guards and did all the dirty work for Harris....to accumulate the type of stats he did...was very impressive. The ilk probably have the stats out there to prove this from a DVOA stand point, but Scott was one of the better LB'ers in the league his first 2 seasons here.

No, he was great. He was a beast his first 2 seasons here. For his role, as the guy who takes on guards and did all the dirty work for Harris....to accumulate the type of stats he did...was very impressive. The ilk probably have the stats out there to prove this from a DVOA stand point, but Scott was one of the better LB'ers in the league his first 2 seasons here.

I know, I've seen the stats. That said, it is not difficult to draft ILB's that matriculate to the NFL successfully. From a salary cap standpoint, paying a free agent ILB is dumb. Spend your money on positions that are harder to develop, matter more, and draft for positions that don't bust often coming from college.

Plus, he's an a$$hole. I decided I hated him the minute he said "Can't wait" and then that whole team, his team, the team he's supposed to be here to provide veteran leadership to... came out and got spanked because his Jets have no spine.

I'll bet you're as wrong about this as most of the crap you put on here.

Don't parlay your own sorry circumstance into that of the other members.

John-he's just another one of the Jets-can't -do-ANYTHING-wrong castoff from JI crowd...probably has made 'friends" with a couple of players over on Twitter, and by made friends I mean the guy has probably gotten (after begging for one) an RT or whatever it is from a player on his birthday

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/bart-scott-the-art-of-linebacking-beyond-the-tackle/

Remember when we signed Bart Scott and it could have been Ray Lewis? My how things would be different.

Can't wait to cut this non-beast in the offseason.

truth be told CC, we really had no chance of actually signing Ray Lewis as Baltimore had right of refusal type of thing-in other words, HAD we tried they could have just beaten our price and kept him...

John-he's just another one of the Jets-can't -do-ANYTHING-wrong castoff from JI crowd...probably has made 'friends" with a couple of players over on Twitter, and by made friends I mean the guy has probably gotten (after begging for one) an RT or whatever it is from a player on his birthday

Twitter is gay and I just laugh at people who get so personal about a sport.

I know, I've seen the stats. That said, it is not difficult to draft ILB's that matriculate to the NFL successfully. From a salary cap standpoint, paying a free agent ILB is dumb. Spend your money on positions that are harder to develop, matter more, and draft for positions that don't bust often coming from college.

Plus, he's an a$$hole. I decided I hated him the minute he said "Can't wait" and then that whole team, his team, the team he's supposed to be here to provide veteran leadership to... came out and got spanked because his Jets have no spine.

Meh, he helped install the defense and changed the culture. He was an extension of Ryan on the field and he helped create what looked like a lasting identity for the Jets at the time. He was a crucial plug in a top 3 defense in back to back years.

He's way over paid. No doubt. But I think he was necessary.

Meh, he helped install the defense and changed the culture. He was an extension of Ryan on the field and he helped create what looked like a lasting identity for the Jets at the time. He was a crucial plug in a top 3 defense in back to back years.

It was all fluff.

Well it's dumb if you're making him the highest paid LB in history (not just the highest for ILBers, which would have been bad enough) and his job is to attempt to occupy blockers for someone else to be the playmaker. At $8M/year he's supposed to be the playmaker.

You pay Johnny Carson to host the talkshow, not Ed McMahon.

You shine a signal into the sky to call Batman to come to the rescue, not Robin.

And particularly if it's going to be for an ILB, you pay Ray Lewis (in his prime) or Patrick Willis the highest LB contract in history, not Bart Scott.

You are 100% correct. However, he's an a$$hole and we should have gotten Ray. :)

Archived