Jets OL coach DeGugliemo admits to be forced to play Ducasse

T0mShane

NY Jets offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo admits rotation between Matt Slauson and Vlad Ducasse wasn't his idea

Tom Gannam/AP

In a week when the Jets are praying for a win and Bart Scott ripped his own team’s fans, offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo kept the chaos coming. A feisty DeGuglielmo said Thursday that the rotation at left guard between Matt Slauson and Vlad Ducasse was “a directive from high above me.”

Though he never stated his opposition, that directive did not seem to agree with DeGuglielmo. The offensive line coach said of Ducasse, “He’s playing well enough to be an every third series guy. Maybe.”

Rex Ryan said the platoon was his decision.

RELATED: SCOTT SINGING DIFFERENT TUNE TO FANS NOW

BONDY: MISSING MANN WHO GOT AWAY

The rotation was the most substantive part of a bizarre press conference with DeGuglielmo, who was speaking for the first time since training camp. The offensive line coach walked in with hostility, cutting off a reporter to make a statement on a complaint he received from the league about his lack of access to the media. As an assistant coach, DeGuglielmo was required to speak during the Jets’ bye week, but did not and has not since.

“I made a commitment to speak to you people on the bye week, OK? I was sitting here Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday,” said DeGuglielmo. “If anybody needed to speak with me, I was here. It’s not my job to find you.”

The Jets’ facility was closed during the bye week, which also happened to be the week of Hurricane Sandy.  

Asked about the perception that the offensive line has regressed, DeGuglielmo said, “I know I get comments from my boss, his boss and even his boss. And the owner. And they don’t seem to be dissatisfied.”

He begrudgingly explained why the offensive line receives all the blame for an offense that struggles.

“When the running game doesn’t go well, it doesn’t matter who’s carrying the ball,” said DeGuglielmo. “It goes on (the O-line). It could be holes as big as this room.”

“If it’s a sack issue, immediately everyone’s looking in one direction. If it’s a run game issue, immediately everyone’s looking in one direction,” DeGuglielmo added. “Have you ever heard, ‘Boy those tight ends didn’t block well today. Those tight ends had a s----- year blocking?’”

REX KEEPS THE FAITH

Despite Rex Ryan’s preseason claims that he was the best defensive coach in football and his defense would finish in the top five, the Jets’ defensive unit has not lived up to expectations. The Jets are 19th in total yards allowed on the season.

Ryan, half-jokingly said, “(It) certainly looks that way right now. I’m not willing to concede anything yet. Because you know what: I don’t know anything different. We’ve got five games left.”

Ryan, as usual, expressed confidence in the players.

“I believe in myself,” he said Ryan. “I believe in the guys that are with me. I know everybody’s tired of it, but that’s the case.”

So the OL coach, who is a professional, who works with and has worked with lineman and has made a career of working with lineman and, particular, the Jets linemen, says he's being overruled in his assessment of one of his player, by someone above him, even above his "boss". The player in question has been underwhelming and has failed to crack the starting lineup for years, and cannot win the guard position currently held by a mediocre former 6th round pick. DeGugliemlmo has to be furious, or looking for another job or both, in order to come out and tell the truth about how this organization is run. It's big indictment of the FO. How long before Sporano steps up and admits Tebow was a waste of time and has a mandatory play count from week to week? I'm finding it hard to justify rooting for this team. Every pretense of being a "football" organizatioin has been dropped. This is a business with a business model in place that puts on-field success way below financial success in its list of priorities. And they aren't even pretending to be a team anymore. Just a money machine. Nothing else. You can't get enough Tebow.

Every pretense of being a "football" organizatioin has been dropped. This is a business with a business model in place that puts on-field success way below financial success in its list of priorities. And they aren't even pretending to be a team anymore. Just a money machine. Nothing else. You can't get enough Tebow.

believe it or not, that's every team in the league. it's all about money, always.

ducasse actually does a good job in the run game. He's not bad.

Right. We've never had a bad draft pick. Gholston was just coming around when we let him go. Wilson is still a "project". Hill is still a "project". Sanchez just needs to "mature". Greene needs a better line. The line is actually pretty good. Ducasse is actually good in the run game. Coples needs time to develop.

Trader Mike must be gone. The beans have been counted and he's come up short one time too many.

So the OL coach, who is a professional, who works with and has worked with lineman and has made a career of working with lineman and, particular, the Jets linemen, says he's being overruled in his assessment of one of his player, by someone above him, even above his "boss". The player in question has been underwhelming and has failed to crack the starting lineup for years, and cannot win the guard position currently held by a mediocre former 6th round pick. DeGugliemlmo has to be furious, or looking for another job or both, in order to come out and tell the truth about how this organization is run. It's big indictment of the FO. How long before Sporano steps up and admits Tebow was a waste of time and has a mandatory play count from week to week? I'm finding it hard to justify rooting for this team. Every pretense of being a "football" organizatioin has been dropped. This is a business with a business model in place that puts on-field success way below financial success in its list of priorities. And they aren't even pretending to be a team anymore. Just a money machine. Nothing else. You can't get enough Tebow.

"This guy is the starting right tackle," DeGuglielmo said in an interview with reporters today. "Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son-of-a-gun is going to be the starting right tackle. And he's going to play well."

He is not introverted, he is not any of the things people say he is. He has a great personality, great energy, great desire and great skills. It looks like the makings of something great."

"I wanted Wayne Hunter, so the last thing I would ever want to see happen is not have Wayne Hunter as the starting right tackle," DeGuglielmo said. "He’s big, he's athletic, he’s aggressive, he's a smart guy, he practices at top speed, he practices physical, he pays attention to detail. Everything you give him to do on the field, he does it, and he does it naturally."

believe it or not, that's every team in the league. it's all about money, always.

Yes but the model is to be a good team, and win over fans, make the product better and the buyers will respond. There's a reason more stable, successful teams would never bring in a Tebow. Because Tebow brings a quick bounce in popularity, but no long-term success. The Jets are a team that milks its fanbase for every penny without concern for the product it puts out. Which is why we have Rex on the back page every day while the Giants quietly win Super Bowls.

"This guy is the starting right tackle," DeGuglielmo said in an interview with reporters today. "Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son-of-a-gun is going to be the starting right tackle. And he's going to play well."

He is not introverted, he is not any of the things people say he is. He has a great personality, great energy, great desire and great skills. It looks like the makings of something great."

"I wanted Wayne Hunter, so the last thing I would ever want to see happen is not have Wayne Hunter as the starting right tackle," DeGuglielmo said. "He’s big, he's athletic, he’s aggressive, he's a smart guy, he practices at top speed, he practices physical, he pays attention to detail. Everything you give him to do on the field, he does it, and he does it naturally."

So Ducasse is good because Wayne Hunter couldn't cut it? Gug's assessment of Hunter was off so his assessment of Ducasse must be off? Ever think the Jets paid Hunter a chunk of change and Gug's was forced to start him as well? Or that he had no other RT on the roster so he was giving Hunter a shot of confidence? If you can argue that Ducasse is a good football player, I'm all ears.

Didn't Jason address this very subject? Something about keeping Slauson's number of plays down, which in turn keeps him from hitting a playing time $$$ incentive?

I know Rex is the new popular whipping boy, but I suspect this one is on the old whipping boy.

So Ducasse is good because Wayne Hunter couldn't cut it? Gug's assessment of Hunter was off so his assessment of Ducasse must be off? Ever think the Jets paid Hunter a chunk of change and Gug's was forced to start him as well? Or that he had no other RT on the roster so he was giving Hunter a shot of confidence? If you can argue that Ducasse is a good football player, I'm all ears.

No, but the opinion of the OL coach doesn't seem like it's worth the paper that it's written on. Read the whole article, the guy sounds like an ass. He should probably be locked in a basement and by all means kept away from a microphone.

Right. We've never had a bad draft pick. Gholston was just coming around when we let him go. Wilson is still a "project". Hill is still a "project". Sanchez just needs to "mature". Greene needs a better line. The line is actually pretty good. Ducasse is actually good in the run game. Coples needs time to develop.

it's notable that you excluded Revis, Mangold, Brick and Harris. All great Tanny picks. Even Mo Wilkerson looks like a Pro bowler and not in your paragraph. I agree Tanny could be fired, and it will be because of Sanchez extension. but if you expect the draft to always be great, that's unrealistic. The Revis trade up was the best Jets pick for 40+ years. But we can't talk about that when it's pitchfork time.

You know how you get money? Put the best players in and win ****ing games.

The league splits the billion dollar Tv contracts 32 ways. the league splits merch 32 ways (that's jersey sales). The only money that is the Jets alone is ticket sales (PSL) and parking fees. The Jets make tons of money and they don't have to win to do it.

The league splits the billion dollar Tv contracts 32 ways. the league splits merch 32 ways (that's jersey sales). The only money that is the Jets alone is ticket sales (PSL) and parking fees. The Jets make tons of money and they don't have to win to do it.

That kneecaps the argument that Decasse is playing because of money.

Archived