Chiefs player commits suicide.

CM28

The one part of being an NFL player that I don't envy is the mental ****ery that these guys are subjected to throughout their entire playing life. They're under constant threat of being demoted, cut, publicly humiliated, and crippled every day they put a helmet on. Their coaches manipulate their minds at will, breaking them down constantly, then building them back up, only to cast them out once they lose a single step. I had a few friends in high school who went on to play in D-1, and they both quit their teams within two years. They both said the pressure and abuse was out of control--and these were, like, the fiftieth guys on their rosters. I can't imagine the toll it would take on a mind to scratch and claw all the way to the pros. I'm surprised you don't see more guys crack, quite frankly.

RIP

The one part if being an NFL player that I don't envy is the mental ****ery that these guys are subjected to throughout their entire playing life. They're under constant threat of being demoted, cut, publicly humiliated, and crippled every day they put a helmet on. Their coaches manipulate their minds at will, breaking them down constantly, then building them back up, only to cast them out once they lose a single step. I had a few friends in high school who went on to play in D-1, and they both quit their teams within two years. They both said the pressure and abuse was out of control--and these were, like, the fiftieth guys on their rosters. I can't imagine the toll it would take on a mind to scratch and claw all the way to the pros. I'm surprised you don't see more guys crack, quite frankly.

RIP

while i agree some things in life are really nuts not just for football. Check out what i posted before. He went to the practice place because he loved it so much. thanked the coaches and gm and such

The problem with this theory is you're expecting a rational decision (seeking help) from someone who completed an act that necessitates an irrational mind (at least by our standards).

Most patients on a psychiatric inpatient unit are not there through their own volition. Most don't believe they are sick at all. They are there because someone else (family, friends, the police) noticed they were sick and brought them there.

Dismissing suicide as resultant of just "life problems" is just a way to create a villain in a circumstance that no one posting about it even comes close to understanding.

All suicides are different. Some are obviously committed by mentally impaired folks who just can't cope. I can understand pity in these situations. Yet others are done with malice, and selfishness. This case, in which he did not kill himself until hours after committing homicide, wreaks of selfishness. The only reason he committed suicide, is because he was caught in committing murder. I have no pity for him.

Sometimes real life takes us away from the fun and games that we call sports.

Saturday was one of those times.

It started like any other Saturday during the NFL season. Scott Pioli the Kansas Chiefs general manager and coach Romeo Crennel were finalizing the game plan for their upcoming game against the Carolina Panthers.

During this meeting, the two got a call to hurry to the players parking lot. When Pioli and Crennel got to the parking lot, linebackerJavon Belcher was holding a gun to his head.

Belcher had already shot and killed his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins before traveling to Arrowhead Stadium. Belcher said thank you to Pioli and Crennel for all they have done for him before taking his own life.

"After talking to Crennel and Pioli, they said he was a good kid. He thanked them for everything they had done for him before walking away," said Darin Snapp, spokesman for Kansas City Police.

"The suspect walked in the opposite direction and shot himself."

The tragedy had a direct impact on the University of Maine. Belcher attended the University of Maine from 2005-2008.

The school released a statement on Belcher's time at the school and about his shocking passing.

"His impact on this program was boundless. His teammates and the young men who don't even know him, their stomachs and hearts ache today," Maine coach Jack Cosgrove said. "It's a real difficult time for me personally and through our football family."

Belcher earned a degree in child development and family relations from the University of Maine in just 3 ½ years and, while at the school, the football star was a member of Male Athletes Against Violence initiative.

As part of MAAV, Belcher would have signed a pledge card, vowing never to commit violence against women and to stand up against those who did. The pledge, among other things, required him to "look honestly at my actions in regards to violence and make changes, if necessary."

The day before thanksgiving, Belcher talked about how grateful he was for his family, friends and Kansas City Chiefs coaches — those who helped an undrafted free agent linebacker from Maine become an NFL starter.

“First and foremost, God. Family and friends just keeping me focused, coaches and just everyone,” Belcher said in an interview with KCChiefs.com, the team’s news website, on Nov. 21.

Belcher started every game since signing with the Chiefs in 2009. That was 59 straight games through a 17-9 Chiefs loss to the Broncos on November 25th.

Darren Pare from Yahoo voices points out that this is not the first time a former Black Bear player that has made it to the NFL committed suicide.

Perkins' and Belcher's daughter was born in September and now will grow up without her parents. Quarterback Brady Quinn and the rest of the Chiefs will be there to help the innocent little girl.

Quinn told the Kansas City Star “The big thing is (Belcher’s) daughter. I know a bunch of the guys are going to try to set up a fund to try to take care of his daughter. Her parents are not in her life anymore.”

Perkins' and Belcher's daughter is safe and in custody of her grandmother (Perkins' mother).

The Chiefs players told Crennel and Pioli that they wanted to move on and play their game against the Panthers on Sunday as scheduled at 1 p.m.

It will be understandable if Crennel's mind is not on coaching just 28 hours after witnessing one of his players committing suicide.

i feel SO GOD DAMN BAD for that daughter....I just hope she is shielded from the truth of what happened until she is a proper age (if there IS a proper age of understanding such an awful thing!!!)

ugh...i don't even want to talk anymore about this :(

The problem with this theory is you're expecting a rational decision (seeking help) from someone who completed an act that necessitates an irrational mind (at least by our standards).

Most patients on a psychiatric inpatient unit are not there through their own volition. Most don't believe they are sick at all. They are there because someone else (family, friends, the police) noticed they were sick and brought them there.

Dismissing suicide as resultant of just "life problems" is just a way to create a villain in a circumstance that no one posting about it even comes close to understanding.

If you met me I'm somewhat normal and fun as sh*t. Despite my awful spelling I test borderline brilliant as far as IQ but I can't get out of my own way in life. It took a trip the ER to realize I needed help and I can assure you all there's nothing rational going on in your head when you lose your sh*t. I'm sorry for the families involved, Ultimately everybody is responsible for their own behavior and thankfully I only ever wanted to hurt myself but when I lost my mind leading up to the ER it's like nothing I can describe.

Looks to me like this guy comitted murder then realized what it would be like to spend the rest of his life in prison. If he was sick and had major mental issues he would have probably just killed himself to start with instead he went to his coach and GM and blew his brains out just as the Cops arrived. In the case of this guy "just" comitting suicide, with nothing else attached like murdering his girlfriend, I would have felt sorry for the guy and the problems he was undoubtedly facing but it looks to me like he comitted a crime of passion then could not deal with what was coming. Because once again he would have probably killed himself on the scene of his girlfriends murder.

For the sake of the other players on the team. If it was me and I worked with someone as close as NFL players work with each other, I wouldn't be able to go to work the next day. And I wouldn't want to be expected to

I understand that and there are probably a lot of Chiefs' players and officials that do not want to.

This is not meant to sound callous in the wake of this tragedy, but life goes on. It will not be easy for players and coaches as they question whether they missed something. And my take is likely born from being in the military so long, but the mission goes on.

I understand that and there are probably a lot of Chiefs' players and officials that do not want to.

This is not meant to sound callous in the wake of this tragedy, but life goes on. It will not be easy for players and coaches as they question whether they missed something. And my take is likely born from being in the military so long, but the mission goes on.

I understand that too, that life goes on. I think im a little jaded because I work for a very small town that has only 7 full time employees. So when something happens, the town shuts down.

Which ever side of the fence you are on on this, depends on your experiences in the matter.

Archived