We need a receiver bad. Real bad.

sirlancemehlot

Watching at the game I had a full 22 player view. And man oh man are our WR's crap. Sanchez' play notwithstanding. Schilens is a waste of a roster spot. Hill is worse. Kerley is little and does his best but he's 3rd or 4th WR on most teams--a Golden Tate type. i watched Hill run a hitch and stand absolutely still right next to the CB while the play was still alive. He never worked back, never even tried to box out. just stood next to the defender watching the play. It's obvious he has no grasp of the playbook either. He ran bad routes or wrong routs on a few occasions and got an earful on the sideline. Patrick Turner is as good an option or better. Add to that: no Clyde Gates. He sucks but he was actually a threat. Now no Clyde. no deep threat. Schilens didn't even fight for that deep ball. And one last thing: We do not throw to our backs. Ever. Joe McKnight could have been a weapon all year, takiing that receiving back role once held by LT. But we don't use him. Or throw to anyone out of the backfield. TE? Please. Our TE's are way down on the list of talented TE's in the league. Keller is waste. Cumberland is made of glass. And we have no blocking TE on the entire squad. Good Luck McElroy. You're gonna have to do it all by yourself.

Golden Tate would be our best receiver. Not sure why you used him as your example.

Tate wasnt a pure receiver but more of a utility guy. Reverses, trick plays, wr screens and some slot work. This year Tate's moved to a more traditional role. But his ability to b good at lots of things but great at nothing is what I see in kerley.

Our receivers are soft and gutless.

We don't have one WR who actually fights for the ball, they are the most pathetic group in the NFL.

Kerley is quick and finds openings, but other than that, nobody on that WR group is worth a damn.

Our receivers are soft and gutless.

We don't have one WR who actually fights for the ball, they are the most pathetic group in the NFL.

Kerley is quick and finds openings, but other than that, nobody on that WR group is worth a damn.

kerley and hill not bad im sure teams would want them even if they arnt that spectacular. They have pretty good upside though

On a good team Kerley would be a #4 and Hill would be a #5. Nobody else would be on a roster.

Kerley's a legit #3/slot guy. That's where he'd be if Holmes was healthy. Ideally Hill would be developing from the #4 position, but where the season is now, I'm happy to have him in the starting lineup to learn.

Watching at the game I had a full 22 player view. And man oh man are our WR's crap. Sanchez' play notwithstanding. Schilens is a waste of a roster spot. Hill is worse. Kerley is little and does his best but he's 3rd or 4th WR on most teams--a Golden Tate type. i watched Hill run a hitch and stand absolutely still right next to the CB while the play was still alive. He never worked back, never even tried to box out. just stood next to the defender watching the play. It's obvious he has no grasp of the playbook either. He ran bad routes or wrong routs on a few occasions and got an earful on the sideline. Patrick Turner is as good an option or better. Add to that: no Clyde Gates. He sucks but he was actually a threat. Now no Clyde. no deep threat. Schilens didn't even fight for that deep ball. And one last thing: We do not throw to our backs. Ever. Joe McKnight could have been a weapon all year, takiing that receiving back role once held by LT. But we don't use him. Or throw to anyone out of the backfield. TE? Please. Our TE's are way down on the list of talented TE's in the league. Keller is waste. Cumberland is made of glass. And we have no blocking TE on the entire squad. Good Luck McElroy. You're gonna have to do it all by yourself.

Sanchez play is not defendable at this stage but the players around him certainly are a huge issue, that being said Sanchez has been given more time to work out than most QB's, part of that is because he just never had a viable back up.

His first 2 years he had Brunell who was all but finished. Then he had a Rookie in McElroy who got hurt and missed the season last year so another year of Brunell. It could very well be the case the team knows just how bad our skill players are and were reluctant to blame the QB and thats why Mark Lasted so long. After all they are the only ones who know the plays........ but it still does not excuse Marks poor protection of the football which is what eventually killed him.

Mark aside this team does need some real WR's ...Hill hopefully will start to play well (he made some nice catches yesterday) Kerley is a keeper in the Slot but everyone else is bascally useless.

Im excited for football once again and the energy I saw when McElroy came in was real and I felt it as a fan as well. Im very interested to see how McElroy handles this offense and if his arm is stronger as stated maybe we are in for a treat.

Kerley's a legit #3/slot guy. That's where he'd be if Holmes was healthy. Ideally Hill would be developing from the #4 position, but where the season is now, I'm happy to have him in the starting lineup to learn.

even as of today Hill is this huge boom bust type player. I still can't tell. He's without a doubt the most awkward guy on the field. You tell that he's thinking too hard and he gets bumped off his routes too easy. But you can also tell he really cares and will be the type who tries to get better.

I really don't know. I'm also glad he's getting real time. But unless or until he gets stronger (hands and body control) I'm not sure he'll ever be a difference maker. Can he gain 10 lbs without losing speed? Probably not. If not he could end up being nothing more than a #4 who can stretch the field. I hope he gets better and progresses.

Sanchez play is not defendable at this stage but the players around him certainly are a huge issue, that being said Sanchez has been given more time to work out than most QB's, part of that is because he just never had a viable back up.

His first 2 years he had Brunell who was all but finished. Then he had a Rookie in McElroy who got hurt and missed the season last year so another year of Brunell. It could very well be the case the team knows just how bad our skill players are and were reluctant to blame the QB and thats why Mark Lasted so long. After all they are the only ones who know the plays........ but it still does not excuse Marks poor protection of the football which is what eventually killed him.

Mark aside this team does need some real WR's ...Hill hopefully will start to play well (he made some nice catches yesterday) Kerley is a keeper in the Slot but everyone else is bascally useless.

Im excited for football once again and the energy I saw when McElroy came in was real and I felt it as a fan as well. Im very interested to see how McElroy handles this offense and if his arm is stronger as stated maybe we are in for a treat.

Very good post. So true.

Agree with a lot of this. Except that Brunell was here for 2 years not 3. First year it was Sanchez and Clemens. Brunell was brought in a year later and stayed for 2 seasons. Doesn't make it any better, though. And it certainly doesn't make his extension look any smarter. He needed a real passer to compete with him while his contract was not guaranteed. Instead we guaranteed 2 more seasons and brought in Tim Tebow. It's comically stupid and shortsighted.

These receivers blow, but Mark had trouble hitting them when they were open and finding them while they were open. We'll see if this improves at all with McElroy. Of course first we'll have to see if McElroy is even given another shot.

My guess is McElroy doesn't get another shot.

I don't know. I said after the game Rex had a hanging curveball thrown to him when asked, and all he had to was put on his aw shucks face and say, "Mark is still the starter. Today just wasn't his day is all. But I was encouraged by the way Greg handled the huddle."

Instead he was noncommittal and was touting McElroy's supposedly significant improvement in arm strength. Then there was the clip of Rex consoling Mark with his arm around him at his locker. That looked like delivering less-than-good news rather than a "you're still the QB" talk. Couldn't see their faces but Mark had his head down. Then again maybe his head was down because he was just still straightening his $300 tie. Based on Mark's comments at the podium a few minutes later, it's most likely Rex was keeping Mark in the dark on what happens next, but Mark didn't have his usual "I don't have a care in the world no matter how horribly I play" demeanor when he was up there answering questions.

It's no slam dunk at all, but I think McElroy starts.

I don't know. I said after the game Rex had a hanging curveball thrown to him when asked, and all he had to was put on his aw shucks face and say, "Mark is still the starter. Today just wasn't his day is all. But I was encouraged by the way Greg handled the huddle."

Instead he was noncommittal and was touting McElroy's supposedly significant improvement in arm strength. Then there was the clip of Rex consoling Mark with his arm around him at his locker. That looked like delivering less-than-good news rather than a "you're still the QB" talk. Couldn't see their faces but Mark had his head down. Then again maybe his head was down because he was just still straightening his $300 tie. Based on Mark's comments at the podium a few minutes later, it's most likely Rex was keeping Mark in the dark on what happens next, but Mark didn't have his usual "I don't have a care in the world no matter how horribly I play" demeanor when he was up there answering questions.

Tebow starter.

McElroy back up.

Sanchez in street clothes.

Jets baby. Jets. Yeah.

It will be interesting. If McElroy were #2 I would certainly start Sanchez on a short leash. With Tebow in the middle though, starting McElroy now is the only legit looking way to skip over Tebow. If McElroy doesn't get the next start he will have trouble getting another chance IMO.

For all the talk about players not being held accountable, Greene didn't start and Sanchez got benched during the game. They may have been looking to pass Greene up for most of the year, but the guys behind him keep getting hurt.

Agree with a lot of this. Except that Brunell was here for 2 years not 3. First year it was Sanchez and Clemens. Brunell was brought in a year later and stayed for 2 seasons. Doesn't make it any better, though. And it certainly doesn't make his extension look any smarter. He needed a real passer to compete with him while his contract was not guaranteed. Instead we guaranteed 2 more seasons and brought in Tim Tebow. It's comically stupid and shortsighted.

These receivers blow, but Mark had trouble hitting them when they were open and finding them while they were open. We'll see if this improves at all with McElroy. Of course first we'll have to see if McElroy is even given another shot.

Ahh thats right Sperm I knew it was something with Brunell I forgot about year 1. i certainly hope they don't go back to Mark at this point hes had his chance 10 fold McElroy desreves a shot to show something.

if McElroy does play well and the Jets offense begins to move the ball what happens with Marks Salary next season ? I wonder how all this eventually plays out, should be interesting topics for the remainder of the season and through next year.

Also if McElroy comes in and does very well its going to make me want to smack Rex in the face even more so

Hill was targeted 8 times and caught 5. He's getting better.

I didn't see any "full 22", but he looked good on the balls I saw thrown his way. IMO what he does when he isn't getting the ball is more "coachable" than having goon hands or running goon routes. This week he looked better as far as the goon hands go.

Schillens OTOH had a pretty bad day

It will be interesting. If McElroy were #2 I would certainly start Sanchez on a short leash. With Tebow in the middle though, starting McElroy now is the only legit looking way to skip over Tebow. If McElroy doesn't get the next start he will have trouble getting another chance IMO.

For all the talk about players not being held accountable, Greene didn't start and Sanchez got benched during the game. They may have been looking to pass Greene up for most of the year, but the guys behind him keep getting hurt.

You havent heard? It doesnt count because its too late.

Chaz played like a bitch. On that deep ball interception, he didn't even fight for it.

Yeah. There was another that was kind of knocked out of his hands and while not catching it was acceptable, he didn't exactly seem to be fighting for the ball or shielding the DB. Guess that's why a guy that big, fast with good hands comes so cheap.

Just watched fat boys press conference live on NFL Net and Rex was not saying anything about the QB position which makes that decision lean more towards McElroy playing at this point IMO. Rex still looks like an idiot in press conferences thats never going to change

Archived