Dustin Keller - high ankle sprain

Sperm Edwards

https://twitter.com/...423880586346496

headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg

Manish Mehta
@
MMehtaNYDN

More bad news for the Jets offense: TE Dustin Keller has a high ankle sprain, per source. #nyj

http://www.rotoworld...1/dustin-keller

The New York Daily News reports Dustin Keller

suffered a high left ankle sprain in Sunday's

Week 13 win over Arizona.

With only four games left, the rest of Keller's

season is in danger. The Jets will turn to Jeff

Cumberland as their top tight end moving forward.

Cumberland has 21 catches for 233 yards and

two touchdowns in the season. Keller has

battled through a tumultuous, injury-prone

contract year. If his year is over, Keller may

have played his final snap in a Jets uniform.

Dec 2 - 9:22 PM

You guys are brutal. I look at this as a good thing. He is talented but hurt. Now the Jets get to sign him at a lower price and bring him back.

Skill players are lacking here, so I don't see the Jets just letting him walk despite this injury plagued year.

You guys are brutal. I look at this as a good thing. He is talented but hurt. Now the Jets get to sign him at a lower price and bring him back.

Skill players are lacking here, so I don't see the Jets just letting him walk despite this injury plagued year.

I'm not sure what "talented" means. He isn't big, he isn't fast, he's a decent route runner and he's a miserable blocker. I'm tired of hearing about how good this guy can be. He isn't good. He never breaks a tackle. He never goes up and gets the ball in traffic, and he's a liability in the run game. He isn't CLOSE to an elite TE.

When it pours it rains...

...a high ankle sprain is a legitimate injury. How, exactly, does Keller suffering said injury make him soft?

I realize he has been a frustrating player here, but the highs are about equal to the lows, which is better than most of the pathetic players on this offense. I wish Keller was our biggest problem, or at least one of them. Instead, we are fortunate that Keller will not be courted by many suitors, and we should be able to bring him back on the cheap. This guy has shown flashes of being one of the league's better TEs.

Also, this is bad news for G-MAC. There a few enough options in the passing game without losing the best receiver we had left.

Sheesh

he's reached that point where he keeps getting hurt-think Todd Heap who has only played 2 games this year-time to cut bait on this underachiever-he's never lived up to the hype---a lot like his best buddy Sanchez

Todd Heap was actually elite because he was really big with great hands a red zone beast.

I agree 150%.

...a high ankle sprain is a legitimate injury. How, exactly, does Keller suffering said injury make him soft?

I realize he has been a frustrating player here, but the highs are about equal to the lows, which is better than most of the pathetic players on this offense. I wish Keller was our biggest problem, or at least one of them. Instead, we are fortunate that Keller will not be courted by many suitors, and we should be able to bring him back on the cheap. This guy has shown flashes of being one of the league's better TEs.

Also, this is bad news for G-MAC. There a few enough options in the passing game without losing the best receiver we had left.

Sheesh

He's not soft JUST because of this injury. He's soft because he ALWAYS has minor injuries that cause him to miss games, ALWAYS underachieves, Never tries to block, Never makes a tough catch and Never breaks a tackle.

Todd Heap was actually elite because he was really big with great hands a red zone beast.

Heap could also block; he wasn't just a 1-dimensional pass-catcher. He was a far better prospect than Keller. I remember Shannon Sharpe gushing over him when Baltimore drafted him. Keller had much better combine numbers: 4.5 in the 40, 41" vertical, etc. But he's nowhere near the player Heap was.

He's not soft JUST because of this injury. He's soft because he ALWAYS has minor injuries that cause him to miss games, ALWAYS underachieves, Never tries to block, Never makes a tough catch and Never breaks a tackle.

I understand all that, and I agree he is no where near elite. Even if he is soft, he is better than anyone we could hope to pick up, given all of our other needs.

Sheesh

He is soft cause he is always hurt, not just this time.

I'm with you on this one. He's certainly not an elite talent and not worth a huge contract, but he's a solid receiver at TE (better than anything the Jets have had at the position in a long time) and would be a quality weapon for any team, particularly if complemented by another legit TE on the roster like just about every other team in the league does these days.

The truth is he's one of those guys who a lot of people were unhappy with after his first couple of years and some have refused to ever change their stance on him after that. We had some people who endlessly moaned about his problem being that he was not a consistent enough player (while dismissing the garbage QB play he's had to deal with ever since his second year). Then when he turns around last season and has his best and most consistent season of his career, that is of course immediately dismissed as irrelevant. Now we move onto this nonsense of some pretending as if Keller's entire career has been defined by injuries. The guy hadn't missed a single game in his career prior to this year, but now one season with a couple of injuries and he's suddenly defined as soft?

I'm sorry, but stuff like that tells you all you really need to know about what a heaping load of crap that all is. It basically tells you that some people determined their opinions years ago and are so desperate to try to justify it, they'll pull whatever they can out of their ass, regardless of the legitimacy of it. It's one thing to just not like the type of player that he is, as I could certainly understand that, but when you have to fabricate reasons, and repeatedly change what they are, in order to try to justify your position, you're doing far more to discredit your position than support it.

I'm with you on this one. He's certainly not an elite talent and not worth a huge contract, but he's a solid receiver at TE (better than anything the Jets have had at the position in a long time) and would be a quality weapon for any team, particularly if complemented by another legit TE on the roster like just about every other team in the league does these days.

The truth is he's one of those guys who a lot of people were unhappy with after his first couple of years and some have refused to ever change their stance on him after that. We had some people who endlessly moaned about his problem being that he was not a consistent enough player (while dismissing the garbage QB play he's had to deal with ever since his second year). Then when he turns around last season and has his best and most consistent season of his career, that is of course immediately dismissed as irrelevant. Now we move onto this nonsense of some pretending as if Keller's entire career has been defined by injuries. The guy hadn't missed a single game in his career prior to this year, but now one season with a couple of injuries and he's suddenly defined as soft?

I'm sorry, but stuff like that tells you all you really need to know about what a heaping load of crap that all is. It basically tells you that some people determined their opinions years ago and are so desperate to try to justify it, they'll pull whatever they can out of their ass, regardless of the legitimacy of it. It's one thing to just not like the type of player that he is, as I could certainly understand that, but when you have to fabricate reasons, and repeatedly change what they are, in order to try to justify your position, you're doing far more to discredit your position than support it.

Eric Smith had a nice pass defense yesterday.

Nailed+it..+haha_ef089d_3159638.jpg

Keller wasnt very good last year.

Whether it because of his vaginal injuries or simple lack of production, Keller's annual disappearing act is like money in the bank. Over rated, one-dimensional player.

Highlight of his Jets career is strolling out of bounds a yard short of the first down marker against the Ravens on 4th down ending the game.

Eric Smith had a nice pass defense yesterday.

I know, I was absolutely shocked when it happened.

Although that only helps my point, as at least I've freely admitted that I despise Smith as a player and don't try to play it off as anything else and haven't tried to use injuries or BS suspensions to make up reasons to justify my stance. My point always has simply been nothing more than Smith's crappy play. Like I said before, I can understand not liking someone as a player, but fabricating reasons to try to convince everyone else is a different story. Even despite my opinions, I'm at least capable of admitting those rare instances when Smith makes a good play. After all, consider that Smith has moved waaaay down on my list of complaints about the Jets this season. Hell, as much as it pains me to say it, I can admit that him being moved to a backup role and playing more situationally has definitely gotten better play out of him.

Ugh... that hurt.

Last year football outsiders' metrics had him as the 32nd best TE in the NFL. He's barely a starter.

He's not totally useless, but for a guy his size he doesnt create the matchup problems against linebackers you'd expect. There are guys you can find late in the draft that can give you what Keller does.

He's not totally useless, but for a guy his size he doesnt create the matchup problems against linebackers you'd expect. There are guys you can find late in the draft that can give you what Keller does.

The idea that people use him as one of the better Tannenbaum draft picks shows what a incompetent fool our GM is.

Archived