Javon Belcher punched out window in college

Blackout

ORONO, Maine — Jovan Belcher suffered a cut on his hand when he punched a window during his freshman year at the University of Maine, according to a former teammate.

University officials were preparing to release a statement regarding the incident Monday afternoon. No charges were filed in the 2006 incident, which occurred because Belcher was upset over a woman.

Belcher, 25, made national headlines Saturday

when he fatally shot his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, then later committed suicide with a handgun in Kansas City. He was in his fourth season as a linebacker for the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs.

One of Belcher’s former teammates, Mike Brusko, also played for the Black Bears from 2005-2008. He confirmed Belcher was involved in an incident during which he suffered a cut on his hand.

“He had an incident where he did do that,” said a reluctant Brusko, who said he is still reeling from the news about Belcher’s murder-suicide.

“I have at least two or three other friends who have done exactly the same thing,” he added. “I know all of them and I would only have ever attributed that to a bad decision that was influenced by alcohol.”

Brusko said the situation, which stemmed from what he termed immaturity and some intoxication, occurred during their freshman season (2005-06).

“He wasn’t the only person drinking that night,” he added. “I’ve made a hundred decisions like that that I’d like to take back. Nobody ever would have taken that incident and turned it into some sort of foreshadowing of what he would [ultimately] do.”

At UMaine,

Belcher took part in a for-credit class called Male Athletes Against Violence during the fall semester in 2007, according to a statement that was issued by the university in response to a request for an interview with Dr. Sandra L. Caron, professor of family relations and human sexuality.

“MAAV is an effort to involve men so that we can begin to understand that violence is very much a ‘man’s issue,’” the statement said.

The project, founded in the fall of 2004 by Caron, is modeled after her nationally recognized peer education program, Athletes for Sexual Responsibility.

The university statement said the students who enroll are typically varsity athletes.

“The students are involved in peer education efforts on campus that focus on issues of masculinity and violence,” the statement read. “The group often sponsors information tables to raise awareness and encourage college-age men to sign the Male Athletes Against Violence pledge card.”

When asked about Belcher’s participation in the class, UMaine issued the following statement on Caron’s behalf.

“This is a tragedy beyond comprehension and completely at odds with what the Male Athletes Against Violence peer education program stands for,” Caron said. “Our deepest

sympathies are with Jovan and Kasandra’s loved ones.”

At UMaine, Belcher earned a degree in child development and family relations in 2009 and completed his academic course work in 3½ years, according to head football coach Jack Cosgrove.

During his time in Orono, he also participated in the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization in Greater Bangor. In that capacity, Belcher spent time with some local youths who were in need of a male role model.

“I often saw Jovan with underprivileged kids,” Brusko said. “I can remember him bringing kids around the football facility and showing them around and being a mentor to them.”

Belcher, a three-time, All-America wrestler from West Babylon, N.Y., went largely unrecruited for football but signed to play at UMaine.

As a senior in 2008, Belcher was named the Colonial Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Year and was selected as a consensus first-team All-American. He signed a free-agent contract with the Chiefs in 2009.

In March, he signed a one-year contract worth $1.9 million, according to published reports.

Punching a wall or a window one time seems like an isolated incident. We've all probably done it and it doesn't make you an angry person or have an issue. If this was a recurring problem or there was a pattern it would be an issue.

Like killing yourself and your baby's momma?

"Male Athletes Against Violence" ? What a joke.

Look,either at an early age someone(Dad?) teaches you that you don't ever harm a woman (or others), or you don't learn that.

There are plenty of fish in the sea. Go talk a walk,cool off, leave, break up, What ever. Do not raise your hand to a woman. If you do you are the lowest piece of scum on earth.

This guy is a piece of sheet who should burn in hell. And in a just society Chris Brown would live in a fridge box and never be employed other than to throw sawdust onto and mop kids' vomit off school floors.

As to the media circle jerk, doesn't seem OJ or Ray Lewis needed a gun to kill people.

This guy is a piece of sheet who should burn in hell.

I wonder about his history of concussions. It's easy to judge without knowing all the facts. It's possible his brain was junk by his 5th NFL season and that stuff leads to unexplained violent episodes... Including self-harm.

I wonder about his history of concussions. It's easy to judge without knowing all the facts. It's possible his brain was junk by his 5th NFL season and that stuff leads to unexplained violent episodes... Including self-harm.

Grant you that the injuries, concussions, the drugs and the pace are not conducive to good living. Apparently there is an upcoming show about how football made Earl Campbell a wheelchair-bound horror show for his family. But this guy crossed a line that is beyond the awfulness of his chosen profession. Explaining soemthing is not an excuse for murdering your child's mom.

I think we are just making excuses now. I've read a lot about concussion syndrome and it's a serious issue, but guys have been getting concussions for years. If anything things are better now. Sure you can end up with some fairly uncontrollable rage, but that in no way excuses this kind of sh*t. I think this is giving an "out" to guys to do any crazy sh*t that crosses their minds.

there is no concrete evidence to this yet. Looks like it may be true but as far as science goes concussions are still up in the air.

concussions held me out of 3 baseball games lol they suck

well it clearly was important to you since you clicked to read it

you silly nilly

I clicked it, not because it was important to me, but because I wanted to see to what level of unnecessary exploitative speculation you'd be willing to go to.

Gotta say... I underestimated you.

I clicked it, not because it was important to me, but because I wanted to see to what level of unnecessary exploitative speculation you'd be willing to go to.

Gotta say... I underestimated you.

did I write the article? no

I just posted it

YES BLAME IT ALL ON ME SMART GUY

I was thinking the same thing about Costas smug commentary. He looked like a smirking douchebag. I am not exactly Mr. NRA, but it seems like a questionable move to start pushing your agenda with that look on your face after a tragedy like this. I guess he was going for tearing up, but it didn't work IMO.

Is there anyone on planet earth who does not find Bob Costas super-f*cking annoying? No.

Archived