Rex doesn't have the authority to bench Sanchez vs Jacksonville on his own (needs Tannenbaum's permission)?

Sperm Edwards

Doesn't state explicitly that he has to ask permission to bench Sanchez, but it seems at least somewhat implied:

http://www.cbssports...otball/21248870

Sources: Rex Ryan leaning toward starting Greg McElroy Sunday

Rex Ryan is taking his sweet time picking a Jets quarterback to start against the Jaguars on Sunday, but league sources tell CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora that Ryan is leaning toward starting Greg McElroy at Jacksonville.

The staff has noted the improved pace and verve of the offense during McElroy's brief stint replacing starter Mark Sanchez and rallying the team for a win over Arizona. The players responded well to the novice passer in the huddle, and there was a renewed spirit from the moribund offense, which Sanchez continued to slump and turn the ball over.

One source suggested to La Canfora it was 65-35 in McElroy's favor but noted that Ryan still was set to meet with general manager Mike Tannenbaum about the issue tonight. Tannenbaum moved up to draft Sanchez and has rewarded him handily with contracts, and Sanchez is likely bound to New York next season with $8.25 million fully guaranteed on his deal with no offsets and language requiring that full sum to be paid within 30 days if the former first-round pick is released.

So the issue is tricky in that regard, with ownership/management having a vested interest in this most critical of positions. as a purely coaching/football decision, sources told La Canfora the staff would favor McElroy.

Tim Tebow is not regarding as a starting candidate, regardless of the health of his ribs, and the coaches have been reluctant to play him at all.

Tannenbaum sucks, but I don't think he has a veto over Rex's decision. I think the consultation has to do with Rex giving Tannenbaum a headsup on his decision and giving the reasons why.

I hope Rex makes a decision early. If he doesn't or plays coy it shows once again that he thinks as a DC and not a HC. If it's Mac, he needs to get all the 1st team reps from the start. Don't split reps in order to confuse the Jags. All that will do is screw up the Jets.

For next season trade teblow, keep Sanchez one more year as a backup if needed because his contract and decide what to do with McG after he plays the rest of the season as a starter. if he's not good enough use the first pick on a QB and let Sanchez and McG compete for the backup spot.

Sanchez is never going to win as a Jet.

Generally speaking, if you're going to give up on what you hoped was a franchise QB, that *DOES* seem like something you would meet with the GM about.

If he wasn't going to meet with the GM about a decision like *this* then what WOULD he meet with the GM about? Come on people, let's be real.

Also SpermEdwards... making up quotes... doing your best Black Dynamite impersonation... come on, man.

Generally speaking, if you're going to give up on what you hoped was a franchise QB, that *DOES* seem like something you would meet with the GM about.

If he wasn't going to meet with the GM about a decision like *this* then what WOULD he meet with the GM about? Come on people, let's be real.

Also SpermEdwards... making up quotes... doing your best Black Dynamite impersonation... come on, man.

How am I making up quotes?

I was really referring to Randy Levine there.

You're going to become a Nets fan, I can see it. You remind me of my cousin who was a die-hard Redskins fan growing up that refused to watch them ever since Snyder took over. He married into my family thirty years ago and has since become a giants fan; seems a whole lot happier now too. So you may have something going for ya.

At this point of the lost season every time that Rex opens his mouth he is hurting his chances at a future head coaching gig.

There are only so many owners in the league that will tolerate the circus that Buddy Jr. brings to town and he has about worn out his welcome with one of them.

This is what I've been saying all along. That Rex has been talking the company line about Sanchez, while under orders to keep playing Sanchez. It's why these complaints about Sh*t Rex Says have never resonated with me.

Also said I wouldn't be surprised if Rex went against orders to pull Sanchez in the first place.

Could be some serious tension in Mudville.

This is what I've been saying all along. That Rex has been talking the company line about Sanchez, while under orders to keep playing Sanchez. It's why these complaints about sh*t Rex Says have never resonated with me.

Also said I wouldn't be surprised if Rex went against orders to pull Sanchez in the first place.

This does not make sense to me.

Who could possibly be making the order to play Sanchez?

The entire fanbase hates his guts, and his play has been atrocious at best.

I am just not buying it at all.

This does not make sense to me.

Who could possibly be making the order to play Sanchez?

The entire fanbase hates his guts, and his play has been atrocious at best.

I am just not buying it at all.

Gee, I don't know. His boss? The guy who recently signed the guy he just benched for a ridiculous amount of guaranteed money.

The fans aren't always right, and the organization has a right to be patient with players who the fans have grown tired of. Just looks to me like Rex grew tired of Sanchez before Tannenbaum was ready.

Gee, I don't know. His boss? The guy who recently signed the guy he just benched for a ridiculous amount of guaranteed money.

The fans aren't always right, and the organization has a right to be patient with players who the fans have grown tired of. Just looks to me like Rex grew tired of Sanchez before Tannenbaum was ready.

I think you are deriving a lot of information out of a quote that sounds suspect at best to me.

I think you are deriving a lot of information out of a quote that sounds suspect at best to me.

The quote backs up a tremendous amount of circumstantial evidence in the form of Mark Sanchez' contract. The person who signed him to that deal, Rex's boss, can't possibly be happy with the idea that Rex wants to sit him. Not only sit him, but bypassing the high profile, well paid backup that Tannenbaum brought in, too.

This ain't Rex being gutless, this is Rex throwing Tanny under the bus. Tanny can't like that.

The quote backs up a tremendous amount of circumstantial evidence in the form of Mark Sanchez' contract. The person who signed him to that deal, Rex's boss, can't possibly be happy with the idea that Rex wants to sit him. Not only sit him, but bypassing the high profile, well paid backup that Tannenbaum brought in, too.

This ain't Rex being gutless, this is Rex throwing Tanny under the bus. Tanny can't like that.

There is just as much circumstantial evidence that Rex has as much, if not more input in the personnel on this team than Tanny does.

Nobody knows for sure, you love Rex and hate Tanny, hence you take that quote, which I smell BS on, and derive what you want to derive.

I hate them both, particularly Rex.

I can point out just as much, if not more circumstantial evidence that this is much more Rex's team than Tannys.

There is just as much circumstantial evidence that Rex has as much, if not more input in the personnel on this team than Tanny does.

Nobody knows for sure, you love Rex and hate Tanny, hence you take that quote, which I smell BS on, and derive what you want to derive.

I hate them both, particularly Rex.

I can point out just as much, if not more circumstantial evidence that this is much more Rex's team than Tannys.

Yeah, aside from the fact that personnel is the GM's job.

Your hatred of Rex is boringly obvious with each and every one of your posts.

I don't love anyone associated with this team, except maybe Crusher, but Tannenbaum's methods have finally caught up to him big time. He needs to go. Someone who understands how to build a team thru the draft, and has some abilty to assess talent themselves -rather than simply being able to read a scouting report- needs to be brought in to replace him. Whatever that new boss wants to do with Rex is fine with me, but Tannenbaum absolutely needs to go first.

Slats the idea that Tannenbaum has a hook in this somewhere ( as per your inference) makes sense to me..it did during the game when Mark had to go ask Ryan about Sparano benching him. Why else would Sanchez double check the decision with Rex ?

Regardless, it sounds like the FO has issues of overlapping responsibility similar to a family owned business that the dad still makes decisions even though the son has supposedly been put in charge.. Those kind of situations always create problems..and you always have some subordinate questioning the current orders.

This is what I've been saying all along. That Rex has been talking the company line about Sanchez, while under orders to keep playing Sanchez. It's why these complaints about Sh*t Rex Says have never resonated with me.

One thing Rex told us he would be, would be genuine when he came here. When know, because he told us.

Now, we are to believe that he was effusive, yes effusive about Sanchez' performance, when he didn't believe it? The man is not that smart to be that good an actor,

Yeah, aside from the fact that personnel is the GM's job.

Your hatred of Rex is boringly obvious with each and every one of your posts.

I don't love anyone associated with this team, except maybe Crusher, but Tannenbaum's methods have finally caught up to him big time. He needs to go. Someone who understands how to build a team thru the draft, and has some abilty to assess talent themselves -rather than simply being able to read a scouting report- needs to be brought in to replace him. Whatever that new boss wants to do with Rex is fine with me, but Tannenbaum absolutely needs to go first.

The whole lot of them need to go (Rex and Tanny).

Slats the idea that Tannenbaum has a hook in this somewhere ( as per your inference) makes sense to me..it did during the game when Mark had to go ask Ryan about Sparano benching him. Why else would Sanchez double check the decision with Rex ?

Regardless, it sounds like the FO has issues of overlapping responsibility similar to a family owned business that the dad still makes decisions even though the son has supposedly been put in charge.. Those kind of situations always create problems..and you always have some subordinate questioning the current orders.

I agree 100%. I think the Jets biggest need is a strong GM. If Rex is staying, he'll be a better coach in a disciplined environment. If the new GM thinks he should go, then so be it. But the troubles on this team eminate from the top. And that's Woody, not Tannanbaum. But if Woody isn't going to fire himself, he needs to hire a solid football guy to run his team (which Tannenbaum is not) and give him carte blanche.

One thing Rex told us he would be, would be genuine when he came here. When know, because he told us.

Now, we are to believe that he was effusive, yes effusive about Sanchez' performance, when he didn't believe it? The man is not that smart to be that good an actor,

Clearly you didn't see his standout performance in That's My Boy.

I agree 100%. I think the Jets biggest need is a strong GM. If Rex is staying, he'll be a better coach in a disciplined environment. If the new GM thinks he should go, then so be it. But the troubles on this team eminate from the top. And that's Woody, not Tannanbaum. But if Woody isn't going to fire himself, he needs to hire a solid football guy to run his team (which Tannenbaum is not) and give him carte blanche.

Rex in a "disciplined environment"? What does that mean? He is not disciplined himself.

A disciplined environment would be TELLING him what to do. Not giving him his own freedom

If they don't go back to Sanchez, they have effectively castrated him the rest of his time here and he's going to be here next year barring some miracle in the contract language that no one knows about. If he doesn't go back to Sanchez, it's damning of the GM who inked him to big money last off-season, so yeah. I'm pretty sure Rex is going to run it by the guy whose neck is on the line come firing season.

It's one thing for the fans to lose confidence in the starting QB, that happens all the time, it's another thing entirely for the front office to lose the fan base. If they go to Sanchez, they may just do that.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't but they painted themselves into this corner with horrible personnel decisions.

Archived