Napoli a red sock: 3 years, 39 milly

Blackout

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

i'd rather have a kid at 700,000 than dempster at any amount.

but if they can get him to perform like he did with the Cubs last year, then it was worth it.

They need an innings eater. Dempster fits that role. Sure they overpaid but hell they've got the $$ saved from the big Dodger trade.

They need an innings eater. Dempster fits that role. Sure they overpaid but hell they've got the $$ saved from the big Dodger trade.

his name is actually Ryan Dumpster ;)

and yes they did need an innings eater AND they saved like a mofo from that trade. Although trading Gonzo was and is just retarded if you ask me....guy hit like .320 in Boston and they axe him. Glad to see him out of the division :D

This deal hasn't gone through yet, but the Red Sox have an interesting team. They need their veterans to bounce back for this to work, but the offense could sneak up on people. They are basically doing what the Dodgers are doing but on a financially smaller scale. These guys are just bridging gaps for what they have in their farm system.

If they can trade for another TOR type arm think they might be on to something.

his name is actually Ryan Dumpster ;)

and yes they did need an innings eater AND they saved like a mofo from that trade. Although trading Gonzo was and is just retarded if you ask me....guy hit like .320 in Boston and they axe him. Glad to see him out of the division :biggrin:

And why do you think the Dodgers were willing to take on the contracts of Beckett & Crawford and send some decent prospects to the Sox? Gonzo.

I would have loved to kept his bat, but you cnanot extricate yourself from 260 million dollars in contracts fo rnothing.

LaRoche wants 3 years too and that is silly. Plus it costs a draft pick. Pass. Napoli or bust. We have enough left hand hitting on this team.

I get that.

Napoli is a career catcher. Has never played more than 70 games at 1B. He is an inferior defensive 1B. His career batting numbers while playing at 1B are lower than his career overall numbers and his career numbers are mediocre at best.

I am not saying Laroche is a Hall of Famer. However, he has consistently hit in the 270s, higher than Napoli's career average. He has 7 seasons of 20+ homeruns and 78+ RBIs. The two season he did not do that, he was injured and the other he only played 110 (rookie year) and he hit 13 and 45 that year.

Yet, the Sox are going with the guy that while hitting the Sox and Yankees well (more than likely as a catcher), is an inferior hitter, defensive fielder and never has played the position for a full year.

If Napoli was signed as catcher, I have no problem with it. However, at a position that needs a power hitter, we are getting a guy with a few faults.

Didn't make an offer. Didn't even negotiate at all. Sounds like they did their due diligence in seeing what the asking price was and moved to other things. They didn't settle for Victorino when they weren't ever interested in signing Hamilton.

Again, stick to your team and creating other useless threads.

Crankycarl? There is no need to attacl him.

• 2 weeks later...

Napoli apparently in at one year for 5 million.

If he's healthy ,with the contract incentives, he can make the money back. Good deal for the Sox. I think he was born to play in Fenway. Like you mentioned earlier LaRoche would have cost us a draft pick that I know the Sox would not have given up. This is a good deal for both parties IMO.

If he's healthy ,with the contract incentives, he can make the money back. Good deal for the Sox. I think he was born to play in Fenway. Like you mentioned earlier LaRoche would have cost us a draft pick that I know the Sox would not have given up. This is a good deal for both parties IMO.

His hip has got to be pretty bad to not get the original contract he signed. I hope this works out, but I have my reservations about this team as a whole to begin with.

I like a 1yr-5 million with a chance to earn 13 for a guy that has never really been a permanent 1B than a 3yr-39 million contract.

I hope you are right about the Fenway part. Either way, I hope he earns his 13 million,, but if he does not it is not that bad they can part ways next year.

His hip has got to be pretty bad to not get the original contract he signed. I hope this works out, but I have my reservations about this team as a whole to begin with.

I know what you mean. We seemed to have overpaid for JAG type players. It COULD work out if everyone has a very good year but that's a big IF. I'm still concerned about the starting pitchers . Lots of ? there but the bullpen looks solid. Seems to me that they're in a hold pattern till Bradley and the others are ready.

Archived