Are the Jets really a disaster?

JustInFudge

I keep hearing this every where I turn. This board is a complete doom and gloom fest, rightfully so, but every major media outlet that I've paid any attention to is calling the Jets a disaster/circus/joke, whatever. I live in Jacksonville. The Jaguars have 2 wins. A local radio guy just called the Jets a disaster. WTF are the Jags? lol

I get it, they arent a very good Football team, but why are the Jets a disaster and get all the attention when over half the league has the same, or worse record. 11 teams in the NFL have a worse record than the Jets. And outside of the Eagles, none of them garner any national attention. 3 teams have the same record, 2 of them in our own division. Yet, I never hear about how those teams are a "disaster".

So I guess my question is, why?

Is it Rex and his big mouth? It is New York? Is it because the expectations were high for the New York Jets? Why are the Jets the league's disaster but the other 14 teams in the league that are in the same boat or worse not considered a disaster?

What I really find interesting about all this is that none of these teams have lost their best offensive player and their best defensive player (arguably the best defender in the league) and none of them have to suffer through having the worst QB in the league.

Dont get me wrong. The Jets suck. I get that but the Jets could end up 7-9, 8-8 and maybe even with a miracle (Tebow or McElroy) they win out and go 9-7. With the schedule they have remaining, those are real possibilities. So my next question is, are those the records of a team you'd consider a disaster? And if so, why? Because IMO, 2-14 is a disaster. 3-13. Not a team hovering around .500. Typically, I look at a team hovering around .500 as a team who could be a couple of moves way from being a playoff team.

I get this board cant see anything positive right now, so I'm not expecting a ton of people actually giving this thought, but those reasonable fans out there might have a perspective on this that I can appreciate.

P.S. - if the Jets lose out, I reserve the right to act like this thread never happened.

<3 you all.

I agree with just about everything you said here.

I will however give you so points on why the talking heads think/say they are a disaster.

Rex, and company's big mouth, claiming we will win the SB every year, Tim Tebow, couple that with the Placico signing, the Nnamdi chase, the locker room implosion late last year, a bust top 5 pick QB, Giants shutting us up by beating us last year, and that fueling their 2nd improbable SB run in 4 years, ect. Add all that up, and the fact it has ruffled a lot of peoples feathers, particularly in the media, there are a lot of people who want the Jets to be a disaster, and want you to believe they are a disaster, it makes them feel all warm, and fuzzy inside, not to mention it is good for business right now. That's the tale they want everyone to believe, and most believe what the media tells them when it comes to the NFL.

On the real part why someone can say this team is a disaster, they have no QB, they will be 7-9 to 9-7 on the downside, not the upside of that record, this also gives you little hope in drafting a RGIII, or Luck to turn your franchise around, they are in salary cap hell for next year, they have a owner is more concerned about stealing back pages from the Giants even if it has to be done in a negative way, no offensive playmakers to speak of, their best player just had major knee surgery, and his contract situation is a real problem, and the possibility of them losing him in FA after next season is a very real possibility, no LB's, no future at the S position, their 10 million WR is having a 2nd surgery in February, and might not be ready for TC, their GM is on the hot seat, their HC is on the hot seat, they have recently been embarrassed on prime time with that horrendous showing on Thanksgiving night, oh did I mention the Tim Tebow situation, but after all that the biggest problem is they have no plan, no organization stability, and never have outside of a 3 year stint in the late 90's.

Now after all that I actually believe this team could be very good come 2014 with some ballsy, and smart moves, and except the fact 2013 is going to be a tough year, they have a DL that is set up to be very good by then, 2 very good OLmen to build around, a decent player for the slot WR, maybe S Hill is rounding into his potential in year 3, some how keep Revis, and Cro here, and cut ties with every bad contract, and bad/old players holding you back, spend A LOT of resources on getting the O-Line back to where it was in 2009, road grating beasts who are big time locker room, and on the field leaders, 2 playmakers 1 in the back field, and 1 in the WR core, and if they let Rex continue to be HC here and stick with the plan, they could be an average game managing QB away from competing for the AFC again in 2014 IMO, I also think this has to be done without Tanny thou, and a true football guy calling the shots at GM who knows how to build the right way, and yells his owner, and HC to do your job, and let me do mine end of discussion.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone pointed out that this disaster hasn't fully fermented yet, and that next year--when giants portions of the cap are tied up in Holmes, Sanchez, and the putrid LB corps--and we have no QB and no free agents coming in to bail Tannenbaum out this time, will actually be the full-on disaster? Right now, we're the Titanic just as the water starts clearing the bulkheads.

TBH hopefully the disaster does ferment in 2013, and maybe we trade Revis for a 1st round pick to a team that turns out to be really sh*tty next year, and we also trade away this years 1st round pick for some hopefully really sh*tty teams 1st rounder in 2014 draft, and we also do all the financially smart moves to clear cap space while getting the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick in the 2014 NFL draft, we can add J Clowney to our D, Johnny ****ing football as our new shiny state of the art hybrid QB to change the course of our franchises future, and also get Johnny ****ing football a nice shiny toy to throw the ball to in Marquise Lee! How's that for a pipe dreaming scenario, that would only come true if genie's were real, and I happened to stumble upon one before the 2014 draft lol.

TBH hopefully the disaster does ferment in 2013, and maybe we trade Revis for a 1st round pick to a team that turns out to be really sh*tty next year, and we also trade away this years 1st round pick for some hopefully really sh*tty teams 1st rounder in 2014 draft, and we also do all the financially smart moves to clear cap space while getting the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick in the 2014 NFL draft, we can add J Clowney to our D, Johnny ****ing football as our new shiny state of the art hybrid QB to change the course of our franchises future, and also get Johnny ****ing football a nice shiny toy to throw the ball to in Marquise Lee! How's that for a pipe dreaming scenario, that would only come true if genie's were real, and I happened to stumble upon one before the 2014 draft lol.

Here is how we obtain the 1st 3 picks in the 2014 draft, we get the Bengals to trade us the Oakland Raiders 1st rounder in 2014 they received in the C Palmer trade, we get a team like the Chiefs who draft G Smith, and because they are going to lose D Bowe are desperate to jump back in the 1st round ahead of the Rams to grab Geno a WR like K Allen for their 2014 1st round pick, and the Jets, Raiders, and Chiefs all finish the 2013 season with a 3-13 record tied for the 3 worst records in the league, if your wondering, yes since my last post I just happened to stumble upon this genie, and he laid it out for me how my wish will be granted lol.

Archived