" Extra Points : Blame Tannenbaum for Jets' woes " ~ ~ ~

kelly

THE GAMES -- In the end Rex Ryan really had no choice.

Mark Sanchez will remain the starting quarterback Sunday when the New York Jets visit the Jacksonville Jaguars.Sanchez, of course, was benched in the third quarter of last week's game against Arizona and third-stringer Greg McElroy led the Jets to their lone touchdown in an ugly 7-6 win over the Cardinals.Ryan indicated Monday he was comfortable with any of his quarterbacks as a starter, including the injured Tim Tebow. a player who is still immensely popular in the Jacksonville-area after his standout college career at the Univ. of Florida."Well, I have three good quarterbacks and I feel good about (all) three quarterbacks," the coach said. "I think we're in a lot better situation than probably a lot of teams."

That was coach-speak.

Few consider McElroy the type of prospect who could develop into an NFL starter down the road, while Tebow, despite his often inexplicable late-game heroics last season in Denver, is a gimmick quarterback, quickly exposed when he has to play 60 minutes a week over a 16-game season.Sanchez, on the other hand, has the pedigree if little else. The No. 5 overall pick in the 2009 draft out of Southern Cal has all the physical attributes you could ever want in a dropback quarterback.Yet the Jets are 5-7 in 2012 and have struggled offensively throughout the season with Sanchez under center. The fourth-year starter has completed just 55 percent of his passes for 2,436 yards with 12 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.Earlier in the campaign Sanchez became the first signal-caller since Stoney Case in 1999 to complete under 50 percent of his passes in four straight contests.He was picked off three times in the first half against the Cards and threw for just 97 yards while completing only 10-of-21 passes before being pulled for the first time.

So what's the problem ?

Clearly Santonio Holmes, New York's biggest playmaker, going down early in the season with a foot injury didn't help. Receivers like Jeremy Kerley, Chaz Schilens and rookie Stephen Hill have flashed at times but certainly don't put fear into opposing defensive coordinators and aren't consistent enough for Sanchez to trust them.Sanchez also deserves plenty of the blame. His mechanics and footwork remain sloppy at times, too often he'll slide in the pocket instead of stepping up, and his intermediate to deep accuracy as a passer remains poor.All that said this is a guy who has already led the Jets to two AFC Championship Game appearances,& is tied for the second most postseason road victories in history w/ four.The real villain here is general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who hasn't provided Sanchez enough weapons on the outside to succeed and made the colossal blunder of acquiring Tebow, a deeply flawed player whose popularity transcends football.The vast majority of NFL personnel people, Tannenbaum almost certainly among them, understand Tebow doesn't have a future in this league as a full-time starting quarterback.

Despite that, Tannenbaum, with the full understanding that Tebow's presence on the sideline would provide a constant distraction if Sanchez struggled, pulled the trigger.Take a poll in New York today on who the Jets starting quarterback should be and Tebow, who is dealing with a rib injury, would certainly win it.There's an adage in the NFL first coined by Buddy Ryan -- "If you listen to the fans, you'll be sitting up there with them," the gruff ex-coach of the Eagles and Cardinals once said."There will be no impact that way," Ryan said when asked if the fans' perceptions cloud his decision-making.

Nor should there be.

It's conceivable Tannenbaum felt "perceived" and not actual competition for Sanchez would fuel the California native and help him reach the next level.That's turned out to be anything but the case, however, and the Jets, who signed Sanchez to a three-year extension with $20 million in guarantees in the offseason, now find themselves wed to a quarterback whose psyche may have been permanently affected.

> http://www.miamihera...tannenbaum.html

THE GAMES -- In the end Rex Ryan really had no choice.

Mark Sanchez will remain the starting quarterback Sunday when the New York Jets visit the Jacksonville Jaguars.Sanchez, of course, was benched in the third quarter of last week's game against Arizona and third-stringer Greg McElroy led the Jets to their lone touchdown in an ugly 7-6 win over the Cardinals.Ryan indicated Monday he was comfortable with any of his quarterbacks as a starter, including the injured Tim Tebow. a player who is still immensely popular in the Jacksonville-area after his standout college career at the Univ. of Florida."Well, I have three good quarterbacks and I feel good about (all) three quarterbacks," the coach said. "I think we're in a lot better situation than probably a lot of teams."

That was coach-speak.

Few consider McElroy the type of prospect who could develop into an NFL starter down the road, while Tebow, despite his often inexplicable late-game heroics last season in Denver, is a gimmick quarterback, quickly exposed when he has to play 60 minutes a week over a 16-game season.Sanchez, on the other hand, has the pedigree if little else. The No. 5 overall pick in the 2009 draft out of Southern Cal has all the physical attributes you could ever want in a dropback quarterback.Yet the Jets are 5-7 in 2012 and have struggled offensively throughout the season with Sanchez under center. The fourth-year starter has completed just 55 percent of his passes for 2,436 yards with 12 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.Earlier in the campaign Sanchez became the first signal-caller since Stoney Case in 1999 to complete under 50 percent of his passes in four straight contests.He was picked off three times in the first half against the Cards and threw for just 97 yards while completing only 10-of-21 passes before being pulled for the first time.

So what's the problem ?

Clearly Santonio Holmes, New York's biggest playmaker, going down early in the season with a foot injury didn't help. Receivers like Jeremy Kerley, Chaz Schilens and rookie Stephen Hill have flashed at times but certainly don't put fear into opposing defensive coordinators and aren't consistent enough for Sanchez to trust them.Sanchez also deserves plenty of the blame. His mechanics and footwork remain sloppy at times, too often he'll slide in the pocket instead of stepping up, and his intermediate to deep accuracy as a passer remains poor.All that said this is a guy who has already led the Jets to two AFC Championship Game appearances,& is tied for the second most postseason road victories in history w/ four.The real villain here is general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who hasn't provided Sanchez enough weapons on the outside to succeed and made the colossal blunder of acquiring Tebow, a deeply flawed player whose popularity transcends football.The vast majority of NFL personnel people, Tannenbaum almost certainly among them, understand Tebow doesn't have a future in this league as a full-time starting quarterback.

Despite that, Tannenbaum, with the full understanding that Tebow's presence on the sideline would provide a constant distraction if Sanchez struggled, pulled the trigger.Take a poll in New York today on who the Jets starting quarterback should be and Tebow, who is dealing with a rib injury, would certainly win it.There's an adage in the NFL first coined by Buddy Ryan -- "If you listen to the fans, you'll be sitting up there with them," the gruff ex-coach of the Eagles and Cardinals once said."There will be no impact that way," Ryan said when asked if the fans' perceptions cloud his decision-making.

Nor should there be.

It's conceivable Tannenbaum felt "perceived" and not actual competition for Sanchez would fuel the California native and help him reach the next level.That's turned out to be anything but the case, however, and the Jets, who signed Sanchez to a three-year extension with $20 million in guarantees in the offseason, now find themselves wed to a quarterback whose psyche may have been permanently affected.

> http://www.miamihera...tannenbaum.html

Agree with the bolded the most.

anyone who talks about protecting Mark Sanchez' psyche, must have missed the end of last season. his psyche was crap last year.

It is funny how when stupid statements are repeated enough times they become fact, but the thought that having Tebow on the roster would distract Sanchez if he did poorly is the dumbest statement around. The presence of any QB with a pulse (which excludes his previous back up, Brunell) would do the same thing. If we had brought in Henne, Campbell, Orton they would have put even more pressure on Sanchez and ruined his psyche more than Tebow, but we continue to hear this ridiculous story like the Spector of Tebow is some insummountable curse. Just play well Mark and there is no issue regardless of who your back up is.

The statements about his lack of weapons are the most bothersome. 1. Because its true. He has no receivers. 2. Because having no receivers gives him an automatic excuse for sucking. 3. Because our receivers are likely the worst unit in the league, there is actually a remote possibility that Sanchez is actually a decent QB but we'll never know it. 4. We can't know if tannenbaum screwed up worse by drafting Sanchez or by blowing all his top picks the last two years on defensive lineman and a track star with ping pong paddles for hands.

Certainly Sanchez isn't very good. Certainly our offensive weapons aren't very good. Certainly our oline is mediocre at best. That leaves tannenbaum. He's got to go away. Soon.

Certainly Sanchez isn't very good. Certainly our offensive weapons aren't very good. Certainly our oline is mediocre at best.

Agree that Sanchez isn't very good (and that original draft pick is on Tanny).

Agree about weapons with the caveat that Santonio Holmes is being paid a ton of money and got hurt. I know we all hate him but he's obviously a player that they miss.

the OL i completely disagree. Nick Mangold is the best interior lineman in the league and they had 3 out of 5 pro bowlers. Austin is an upgrade over wayne and Vlad/Slauson is an interesting platoon at LG. they are far above average, and if you don't believe that, look around the league, especially at all the injuries.

Of course... yass.. mm yasss. of course..

Mike Tannenbaum... genius of the trade. Smart enough to gamble the future of the team on Mark the psyche wed head case, but yet stupid enough to acquire Tebow...THEN, put the best QB in the third string.. yass..of course.. hmm

It is funny how when stupid statements are repeated enough times they become fact, but the thought that having Tebow on the roster would distract Sanchez if he did poorly is the dumbest statement around. The presence of any QB with a pulse (which excludes his previous back up, Brunell) would do the same thing. If we had brought in Henne, Campbell, Orton they would have put even more pressure on Sanchez and ruined his psyche more than Tebow, but we continue to hear this ridiculous story like the Spector of Tebow is some insummountable curse. Just play well Mark and there is no issue regardless of who your back up is.

Everybody on the planet that is alive and actually living has to deal with being replaced..

How is it that just because Marky Mark got selected in the draft he also got all these psyche protectors in the process.. Mark probably needs someone to slap his ass, instead of protecting his fragile mind. He's a retard.

The statements about his lack of weapons are the most bothersome. 1. Because its true. He has no receivers. 2. Because having no receivers gives him an automatic excuse for sucking. 3. Because our receivers are likely the worst unit in the league, there is actually a remote possibility that Sanchez is actually a decent QB but we'll never know it. 4. We can't know if tannenbaum screwed up worse by drafting Sanchez or by blowing all his top picks the last two years on defensive lineman and a track star with ping pong paddles for hands.

Certainly Sanchez isn't very good. Certainly our offensive weapons aren't very good. Certainly our oline is mediocre at best. That leaves tannenbaum. He's got to go away. Soon.

If only there were two brave message board ninjas who identified Tannenbaum as a snake the second he frogged Terry Bradway.

i wonder if last weeks' benching will have that effect. it's the first time they've done anything like this to Mark.

mark said it was the first/only time he had EVER been benched/TAKEN out of a game :frown:

i wonder if last weeks' benching will have that effect. it's the first time they've done anything like this to Mark.

This is probably as close to agreeing on something you and I will do today...HA.

I doubt it ..Mark is sitting in a pretty cool spot, imo... I wouldn't mind it... just put up with the ire of practically everyone under the sun you meet, perform at whatever rate is comfortable, and collect millions..

sounds like the perfect job for me... He is on guaranteed coin, we all get to witness whether he is playing to win, or playing to collect a check. That is another reason I like (you know who) because he would play for free (as long as you fed him)

That is another reason I like (you know who) because he would play for free (as long as you fed him)

i had an exchange with another Tebow fan who said that his ribs weren't broken. do you believe that too? I think there's a good chance Tebow would be the Qb now for jac game, if he was healthy. but I believe the news that he still has 2 broken ribs and you can't run people over timmy tebow style with fractured ribs.

i had an exchange with another Tebow fan who said that his ribs weren't broken. do you believe that too? I think there's a good chance Tebow would be the Qb now for jac game, if he was healthy. but I believe the news that he still has 2 broken ribs and you can't run people over timmy tebow style with fractured ribs.

THAT probably is a good question.. out of all the factors regarding the rib injury, I am not sure which one is more likely.

I think I will go with what is being reported. The conspiracy theories always seem to involve otherwise reputable *others* that count, as in doctors and the like in this case, and the more advanced the theory, the more unlikely it becomes.

Another quirk I think that plays in here is TT has a history of playing through injuries, so that might factor in to the published truth or what conspiracy theorists want to surmise.

By the way, I don't think he actually fractured ribs..I have worked a lot of trauma, and fractured ribs as in motor vehicle and such fractured ribs prohibit normal breathing for a long time.. I guess it's possible his metabolism would build up the kind of calcium deposits that return that area to normalcy in a three weeks, but it's unlikely.

It's my understanding he had very contusion like fractures, hairline ..what have you, visible on MRI or CT..not so much on xray unless you're looking real hard. A real live rib fracture where the bone is broken and you likely have a pneumothrorax going on is a completely different story..It takes quite a jolt to break a rib.. I have had several.

By the way, I don't think he actually fractured ribs..I have worked a lot of trauma, and fractured ribs as in motor vehicle and such fractured ribs prohibit normal breathing for a long time.. I guess it's possible his metabolism would build up the kind of calcium deposits that return that area to normalcy in a three weeks, but it's unlikely.

It's my understanding he had very contusion like fractures, hairline ..what have you, visible on MRI or CT..not so much on xray unless you're looking real hard. A real live rib fracture where the bone is broken and you likely have a pneumothrorax going on is a completely different story..It takes quite a jolt to break a rib.. I have had several.

fair enough but hairlines or whatever you call it, the dude can't run over other players when he's hurt. He got unlucky with the timing. He's not a pocket passer who can just tape up the ribs and try to get rid of the ball quick. If Tebow's playing he's dealing out huge hits and accepting huge hits. Can't run the spread option in the NFL with a hurt QB.

Archived