Since we are likely stuck with Sanchez for another year....

Klecko73isGod

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they don't really have a choice. we've spent hours on this board talking about the "choice" of which QB to play. They have to fix Sanchez. That choice was made when the extension was signed.

If we fire Tannenbaum that entire line of thinking goes out the window. New regimes mean new quarterback(s).

What new regime is going to want that cap hit? And at this point the Jets have a decent shot at .500. Not sure that costs Tanny his job, unfortunately.

1. Sanchez will still be on the roster, but would be a lame duck who gets cut after the 2013 season. Just because a prior regime paid him doesn't mean the NEW regime would have to play him. Matt Flynn is chilling on Seattle's bench despite the big contract he got, and I don't see too many people particularly upset he isn't behind center. And he was signed by the CURRENT regime in Seattle, not a prior one.

2. Sadly, I agree. Tannenbaum and the whole crew will likely be back, setting the franchise back another few years.

1. Sanchez will still be on the roster, but would be a lame duck who gets cut after the 2013 season. Just because a prior regime paid him doesn't mean the NEW regime would have to play him. Matt Flynn is chilling on Seattle's bench despite the big contract he got, and I don't see too many people particularly upset he isn't behind center. And he was signed by the CURRENT regime in Seattle, not a prior one.

2. Sadly, I agree. Tannenbaum and the whole crew will likely be back, setting the franchise back another few years.

1. That's because Russell Wilson has made everyone forget about Matt Flynn. Don't see that happening in NY with any QB that might be available.

2. :(

What new regime is going to want that cap hit? And at this point the Jets have a decent shot at .500. Not sure that costs Tanny his job, unfortunately.

Any new regime is going to take on a mess. Thats why the old regime got fired. It's to be expected. The good thing is that they won't be tied to sanchez by virtue of having traded up for, drafted him and given him an extension so they will be give him a clipboard if he even remains on the team and they don't just cut him and take the cap hit.

they don't really have a choice. we've spent hours on this board talking about the "choice" of which QB to play. They have to fix Sanchez. That choice was made when the extension was signed.

No, they do not need to "fix" Sanchez. There is a point where you have either cured it, or killed it. See: Jason Bay.

1. That's because Russell Wilson has made everyone forget about Matt Flynn. Don't see that happening in NY with any QB that might be available.

First of all you can't say that for sure. The experts are bearish on the many QB's in this year's draft, but that doesn't mean there aren't any that will turn out to be something. Russell Wilson was passed on until the 3rd round because of his height. He was then assumed to be the backup until Pete Carroll could no longer ignore him. Some people even bashed that decision to start Wilson at the time.

Secondly, just about ANYTHING is better than Sanchez at this point. He may not be easy to forget but he'll certainly be easy to beat out for a starting job.

whoever is incharge of the Jets, Sanchez will occupy about 10% of the cap in 2013. Firing Tanny doesn't invalidate the contracts.

Read my response to CrazyCarl. I'm not denying Sanchez will be on the roster next year. I'm denying the idea that we won't be bringing in a new QB and starting said new QB.

"Fixing" a broken Sanchez won't be the charge of the new regime. It will be finding a new QB, whether that's a veteran band-aid or the future of the franchise. Sanchez will be dead weight and will not start under the new regime, IF Tannenbaum and others are indeed fired.

Hell, even the Niners finally moved on from Alex Smith. Harbaugh is starting the guy HE and the front office drafted, Colin Kaepernick. And they appear to be reaping the benefits of that decision; Kaepernick's upside is just far greater than Smith's.

With just about any other situation with a regime change like that, Smith would have been gone a while ago. It can and does happen in the NFL all the time. New GM's and HC's want to handpick their QB. By and large, when there is a regime change in the NFL, its in large part BECAUSE of poor QB play to begin with.

As far as #1 goes, I'm not so sure about that. If a new regime takes over and believes the roster needs a major overhaul, don't discount the possibility that they'd be willing to take the hit of cutting him in 2013 so that way he is completely off the books in 2014. If the plan is to rebuild through the draft and not worrying about having big money to spend in FA (at least for this offseason), it's possible they could just suck it up and deal with it in the short term. That said, instead we'll probably see Sanchez play mediocre (which would be viewed as a huge accomplishment for him) over the next 4 weeks while the Jets pick up another 3 or so wins which leads to everyone keeping their jobs.

Either...

a.) they don't know how to do that,

b.) Sanchez can't be fixed, or

c.) both a. and b.

As far as #1 goes, I'm not so sure about that. If a new regime takes over and believes the roster needs a major overhaul, don't discount the possibility that they'd be willing to take the hit of cutting him in 2013 so that way he is completely off the books in 2014. If the plan is to rebuild through the draft and not worrying about having big money to spend in FA (at least for this offseason), it's possible they could just suck it up and deal with it in the short term. That said, instead we'll probably see Sanchez play mediocre (which would be viewed as a huge accomplishment for him) over the next 4 weeks while the Jets pick up another 3 or so wins which leads to everyone keeping their jobs.

I hear ya, and I'd fully support that. Getting Sanchez off this roster to remove that destraction would be the best possible move in my mind. We're f***ed anyways, so whatever cap disaster jason or Sperm Edwards would suggest will happen if we cut Sanchez, who cares?

people are throwing around names like Flynn and Alex Smith, unfortunately Sanchez is being paid like double or more of what those guys make. Yes a new regime would have no problem benching him. But Woody would still have to pay him 8 figures. That's a big matzoh ball to just throw in the trash.

Ummmm, not for nothin.... but why doesn't anyone click on the link http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

I clicked on it and it's an interesting breakdown and comparison to Eli. I think the whole green, yellow, red system in the beginning of his career made him very gun shy. The Jets were a team built to win now when Sanchez was a rookie, so the forced him to manage the game. Eli has been slinging the rock since day one because the Giants were a bad team when he got there, not one with Super Bowl aspirations like the Jets were. The Jets would have been better off bringing in a different QB and not a rookie after the Favre debacle and then selecting Freeman to sit behind said QB for a year or two. That's not what happened and now they are paying for it, overpaying actually.

people are throwing around names like Flynn and Alex Smith, unfortunately Sanchez is being paid like double or more of what those guys make. Yes a new regime would have no problem benching him. But Woody would still have to pay him 8 figures. That's a big matzoh ball to just throw in the trash.

Flynn and Smith aren't one year stop gaps. They are long term commitments to mediocrity. They would be disasters.

I hear ya, and I'd fully support that. Getting Sanchez off this roster to remove that destraction would be the best possible move in my mind. We're f***ed anyways, so whatever cap disaster jason or Sperm Edwards would suggest will happen if we cut Sanchez, who cares?

I think it would depend entirely on the mindset of the new regime (if there was one, which is the only one any of this becomes a possibility). If they think the Jets have a chance to compete next year, there's no way they make that move because of the cap implications. If they see this team as needing a year to rebuild and completely make over the roster, then they send Sanchez packing and deal with the cap mess for one year in order to give themselves even more freedom in 2014 when they feel they'd have a better shot to truly compete.

Ummmm, not for nothin.... but why doesn't anyone click on the link http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

The crux of the article is that Sanchez should throw the ball downfield more. While I agree with that premise, somehow, I just don't think it'll be enough.

Sad thing is that he did that in the opener, which seems like a decade ago now.

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!! Maybe they can give Sanchez a medal for courage and turn him into a lion. Beond that, I would say it is hopeless.

The crux of the article is that Sanchez should throw the ball downfield more. While I agree with that premise, somehow, I just don't think it'll be enough.

Sad thing is that he did that in the opener, which seems like a decade ago now.

And wasn't that like the best game he's played in.... well, ever?

Archived