Who, in your opinion, are the greatest College players you've ever seen, by position

HessStation

QB - Andrew Luck

RB - Adrian Peterson

TE - Vernon Davis

WR - Calvin Johnson

OT - Orlando Pace

OG - Mike Iupati

OC - Nick Mangold

DE - Terrell Suggs

DT - Ndamukong Suh

OLB - von Miller

ILB - Demeco Ryans

CB - Patrick Peterson

S - Eric Berry

This is damn good list. Totally agree with RB, TE, WR. Hard to leave Deion off.

the original question says "you've ever seen" aware of Deion in the league but I can't remember him at FSU. or Barry at Okla state. i was alive but not following College at that time.

Barry Sanders was unstoppable even more so at the college level where not only did he have the moves but his speed at that level was a major factor. He would actually be my #1 overall especially given that OSU wasn't an elite program as far a talent around him.

Also, thx for playing right. You are correct, this is about players you've actually seen/watched live.

his name came up a couple times, the Jets passing on Orlando Pace was an epic draft disaster. Historically bad draft by the Jets. Pace in college was the definition of a road grader. He just plowed through defenses. He got Heisman votes. His first few years were like that and he won a ring with the Kurt Warner/Marshall Faulk era Rams before he got all dinged up.

Parcells traded past Pace and walter jones (2 trades) and took James Farrior... (who they misused and let go after 4 years winning rings with Pittsburgh).

We talk about the Jets draft mistakes. On my list, this was a really huge one. Blair Thomas is on that list (Emmitt smith was in that draft). Taking Kyle Brady instead of Warren Sapp was regrettable and even Kenny Obrien over Dan Marino. The Orlando Pace draft, is in that league of disaster. If memory serves, Parcells got a ton of picks and the best ones were Dedric Ward and Jason Ferguson (round 7?)

People say Bryan Thomas instead of Ed Reed was a bad mistake, that's not fair for a 10 year starter. (and they could have picked Mike Rumph). Honestly, I don't consider Drob or even Gholston to be _as_ big mistakes, because there was not an easy opportunity to take better players in those years. The Pace draft was a huge missed opportunity.

QB - Tommie Frazier, (no question IMO the best college player I ever saw), Tebow, Peyton, Vick

RB - Reggie Bush, McFadden, Eddie George

WR - Keyshawn, Mike Williams, Crabtree

OL - Pace, Ogden, Boselli, Aaron Taylor

DL - Suh, Grant Wistrom, Peppers, Suggs, Wilkinson, Sapp

LB - Poz, Pat Fitzgerald, Maualuga, Te'o, Hawk

DB - Charles Woodson, Deion, Antonio Langham, Terry Fair was really underrated too.

Some good names left off-

Tony Dorsett

Kenny Easley

Dave Rimington

Hugh Green

John Elway

Anthony Munoz

Billy Simms

I realize, I pre-date some of you guys. These were all monsters

Good call. I was going to mention Billy Simms. I remember Ricky Bell being pretty great too, but I liked all those USC guys back then. I know OJ was a monster, but I have no actual recollection of watching him before the Bills.

Good call. I was going to mention Billy Simms. I remember Ricky Bell being pretty great too, but I liked all those USC guys back then. I know OJ was a monster, but I have no actual recollection of watching him before the Bills.

USC was fun to watch in those days with student body right, Keith Jackson commentating on the game and the cheerleaders with the tight sweaters.

• 3 weeks later...

his name came up a couple times, the Jets passing on Orlando Pace was an epic draft disaster. Historically bad draft by the Jets. Pace in college was the definition of a road grader. He just plowed through defenses. He got Heisman votes. His first few years were like that and he won a ring with the Kurt Warner/Marshall Faulk era Rams before he got all dinged up.

Parcells traded past Pace and walter jones (2 trades) and took James Farrior... (who they misused and let go after 4 years winning rings with Pittsburgh).

We talk about the Jets draft mistakes. On my list, this was a really huge one. Blair Thomas is on that list (Emmitt smith was in that draft). Taking Kyle Brady instead of Warren Sapp was regrettable and even Kenny Obrien over Dan Marino. The Orlando Pace draft, is in that league of disaster. If memory serves, Parcells got a ton of picks and the best ones were Dedric Ward and Jason Ferguson (round 7?)

People say Bryan Thomas instead of Ed Reed was a bad mistake, that's not fair for a 10 year starter. (and they could have picked Mike Rumph). Honestly, I don't consider Drob or even Gholston to be _as_ big mistakes, because there was not an easy opportunity to take better players in those years. The Pace draft was a huge missed opportunity.

True. Pace was fond of saying while at UCLA he sometimes blocked people with just one arm to see if he could do, and he always did.Unfortunately Parcells didn't appreciate the value of a shutdown LT at a high contract price.And Jones would've been as good. In retrospect and in real time a huge mistake.

Not convincing Peyton to come out early....

• 2 months later...

Archived