Bryan Thomas might be done for yr.

redman81

Thomas had a couple of years in this D in which he was a valuable asset because he could cover. Same with Pace. Those days have passed and they are both worthless. Need an overhaul at LB and this D will be very strong at every level once Revis returns.

Thomas had a couple of years in this D in which he was a valuable asset because he could cover. Same with Pace. Those days have passed and they are both worthless. Need an overhaul at LB and this D will be very strong at every level once Revis returns.

Agreed, outside of the LBs this D is in pretty good shape, especially when you consider a mostly young DL (with lots of talent/potential) will have another year under their belts (and have shown plenty of improvement in their time so far).

Assuming the retention of Landry, the only other positions on the D I could see wanting to address would probably be the other safety spot (Bell has been solid, but is too old to rely on) and maybe NT (Pouha's age and Ellis' health/inexperience). Neither would be positions where they'd really need any big money / high draft pick spending (that needs to be saved for the O).

Agreed, outside of the LBs this D is in pretty good shape, especially when you consider a mostly young DL (with lots of talent/potential) will have another year under their belts (and have shown plenty of improvement in their time so far).

Assuming the retention of Landry, the only other positions on the D I could see wanting to address would probably be the other safety spot (Bell has been solid, but is too old to rely on) and maybe NT (Pouha's age and Ellis' health/inexperience). Neither would be positions where they'd really need any big money / high draft pick spending (that needs to be saved for the O).

If there isnt an OLB available in the 1st, I'd be o.k. with a NT. Its necessary in this D and its hard to find big guys who can move late. I dont think there will be a single skills player worthy of a 1st round selection this year IMO. Someone will go 1st round obviously, but I wouldnt trust them one bit.

I'd really like to keep Landry and then worry about the other spot. If they don't resign Bell then maybe Bush or Allen can step in and play. Def need to address OLB without a doubt.

I have no faith in Allen playing the other safety spot. I don't think they like him much away from the line. Bush maybe. Another NT sounds like overkill. They need to spend some on the O - money and picks. They may be well served by drafting an RB early because they will need a guy to step in and play if anybody wants to pay Greene. TE I might be happy standing pat even if Keller walks. I like Reuland and Cumberland well enough. This **** FB keeps spitting the ball up, but we can't complain about guys signed off the street. I'd bring in plenty of competition there, but I wouldn't spend anything or any picks.

My issue with McIntyre isn't so much his play, but that he's a DE. McIntyre is basically competition for Coples IMO. They need more LBs that can actually run. Especially if they are transitioning toward 4-3. Davis seemed like a nice start, but I didn't notice him much yesterday. Harris isn't going anywhere thanks to that albatross they signed him to. The others can go or stay, but they need at least 1 speedy guy to add and Davis to pan out. Preferably two more guys.

I'm not the biggest BT fan, but the guy is still as stout vs the run as any OLB in the NFL.

If there isnt an OLB available in the 1st, I'd be o.k. with a NT. Its necessary in this D and its hard to find big guys who can move late. I dont think there will be a single skills player worthy of a 1st round selection this year IMO. Someone will go 1st round obviously, but I wouldnt trust them one bit.

I still believe Kenrick Ellis can be a beast on this defense. I'm hoping for an OLB or ILB in the first.

My draft positional wish list is as follows:

1.OLB

2.ILB

3.RB

4.OG

5.TE (Assuming we don't resign Keller on the cheap)

6. SS to play opposite Landry

7.WR (I want Holmes out of here)

I would say QB but I think we all know this isn't the year we'll draft the next "franchise" quarterback.

besides Jarvis Jones, there are several very good DE who could be OLB. also there's Manti T'eo who would probably come off the board where the Jets pick now (12 overall).

Yes, by OLB I mean anyone that could convert to OLB. My ideal draft involves us getting Jarvis Jones but I don't see it happening as of right now. Maybe he under performs at the combine like you've alluded to in the past (slow 40 time) and he falls down to our pick or a plethora of trades like we saw in last years draft sends him down the list. Manti Te'o is the best ILB in a while, I think if you want a young leader for this defense, Manti's a great pick. I'd be exuberant with either on this team. But, this is the year of the linebackers in the draft for us. I think Scott, Thomas, and Pace need to go. Davis can step up and fill Scott's spot, and you can use a first round to replace a Pace and have MycIntyre or some other jag fill Thomas' spot for next season. If you want a complete makeover we draft dual OLBs or we draft an OLB and get rid of Harris somehow in exchange for a younger, faster linebacker who'd be less of a liability when dropping back in coverage. Already excited for the draft.

I still believe Kenrick Ellis can be a beast on this defense. I'm hoping for an OLB or ILB in the first.

My draft positional wish list is as follows:

1.OLB

2.ILB

3.RB

4.OG

5.TE (Assuming we don't resign Keller on the cheap)

6. SS to play opposite Landry

7.WR (I want Holmes out of here)

I would say QB but I think we all know this isn't the year we'll draft the next "franchise" quarterback.

We NEED offense. They need a safety to play Landry's spot too. He's a free agent and I'm not in favor of paying him big money so that he can get hurt again. I also don't want to burn a high pick on a TE. Cumberland and Reuland are good enough IMO I'd rather get some playmaking WR and/or RB. Adrian Jones...cough, cough Austin Howard has looked good, but I'm not totally sold.

We NEED offense. They need a safety to play Landry's spot too. He's a free agent and I'm not in favor of paying him big money so that he can get hurt again. I also don't want to burn a high pick on a TE. Cumberland and Reuland are good enough IMO I'd rather get some playmaking WR and/or RB. Adrian Jones...cough, cough Austin Howard has looked good, but I'm not totally sold.

Landry's played well, he deserves an extension he's young and he's the enforcer on this D. People are quick to forget about the Jim Leonhard/Eric Smith days. Well when you look at the offense right now at TE we have Cumberland, Reuland, Keller, at WR you got Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards (supposedly we're signing him), RB you got Greene, Powell, McKnight, Hilliard O-Line you got Brick, Mangold, Howard, Slauson, Moore, and at QB of course Mark Sanchez.

Here's the starters on offense who could potentially leave based on their contracts:

Greene

Moore

Slauson

Keller

Keller could be possibly be couped on the cheap for his down/injury plagued 2012 campaign, which would fill out the TE's for next year. Greene is most likely out. I think a complete overhaul at OG is needed to help the running game but realistically I think the cheaper (most likely Slauson) option comes back and the starter who leaves is replaced by Ducasse (unfortunately). Our WR core with Kerley, Holmes, Hill, Edwards is solid IMO and also Howard > Jones. SO that leaves the RB position up for grabs. I'd love a RB in round 2 and I completely support that cause. As long as Mark is our starter, this offense will never be elite. If we get a good running game going, we can play ball like we did in 2009 and 2010.

Here's a list of Defensive starters who are likely out of the fold next year:

Scott

Thomas

Pace

Bell

Pouha

Devito

No need to bring in more defensive linemen other than strong backups. The changing of the guard on the D-Line begins this offseason. Aside from getting rid of Bell I don't see us making changes in the secondary. NOW, LBs is a different story. Pace, Scott, Thomas are all gone this offseason. That leaves us with 1 starting LB from 2012 left on the roster. Sure, Davis can step up for Scott but OLBs is still a mess. As much as we need offense we need to keep our strengths, well, strengths.

i agree we need offense but unless there is a stud trentv richardson RB i dont see how we can draft an offensive posiiton. The WR group when healthy isnt really that bad when you think about it (kerley holmes hill and maybe bray). I love the idea of drafting offensive lineman but i dont think thatd be a big enough impact so id rather them go get line backers. I think that would put the D into the elite discussion

the biggest change our offense needs is a franchise QB. Until we get that bleh

Landry's played well, he deserves an extension he's young and he's the enforcer on this D. People are quick to forget about the Jim Leonhard/Eric Smith days. Well when you look at the offense right now at TE we have Cumberland, Reuland, Keller, at WR you got Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards (supposedly we're signing him), RB you got Greene, Powell, McKnight, Hilliard O-Line you got Brick, Mangold, Howard, Slauson, Moore, and at QB of course Mark Sanchez.

Here's the starters who could potentially leave based on their contracts:

Greene

Moore

Slauson

Keller

Keller could be possibly be couped on the cheap for his down/injury plagued 2012 campaign, which would fill out the TE's for next year. Greene is most likely out. I think a complete overhaul at OG is needed to help the running game but realistically I think the cheaper (most likely Slauson) option comes back and the starter who leaves is replaced by Ducasse (unfortunately). Our WR core with Kerley, Holmes, Hill, Edwards is solid IMO and also Howard > Jones. SO that leaves the RB position up for grabs. I'd love a RB in round 2 and I completely support that cause. As long as Mark is our starter, this offense will never be elite. If we get a good running game going, we can play ball like we did in 2009 and 2010. No changes to the defensive line will be made, aside from getting rid of Bell I don't see us making changes in the Secondary. NOW, LBs is a different story. Pace, Scott, Thomas are all gone this offseason. That leaves us with 1 starting LB from 2012 left on the roster. Sure, Davis can step up for Scott but OLBs is still a mess. As much as we need offense we need to keep our strengths, well, strengths.

Don't disagree with much, but

1. I repeat I will not give ANYBODY on this team a large long-term deal with the possible exception of WIlkerson. That starts with an injury prone dude like Landry. He's been great and I will keep him around, but NOT at any crazy number. Think of Harris. I wish we weren't paying that slug. He is a good player, but he gets way too much money.

2. Don't disagree about the guards, but I am not ready to count on Howard forever. He can disappear just as fast as he appeared and he hasn't been a monster in any event. He doesn't need to be replaced, but they should look at a competitive guy to bring in - midrounder if they aren't in love with Landolt or whoever else.

3. Don't disagree about the other 3 LBs, but I'm betting 1 or 2 are back at small numbers. Those guys can play and give you depth. Bart Scott even plays specials. They are all solid situational LBs. The problem is they are playing every down AND getting paid like they are studs.

4. Our WR core/corps is a ****ing disaster. They need another and the fact that you are counting that washed up Edwards in there proves it. I'd have more respect for that point if you'd included Gates.

i agree we need offense but unless there is a stud trentv richardson RB i dont see how we can draft an offensive posiiton. The WR group when healthy isnt really that bad when you think about it (kerley holmes hill and maybe bray). I love the idea of drafting offensive lineman but i dont think thatd be a big enough impact so id rather them go get line backers. I think that would put the D into the elite discussion

the biggest change our offense needs is a franchise QB. Until we get that bleh

Read the bold and then think about it. I almost vomit when I do. Holmes is a dog that sucked when healthy, sulked and bitched out the QB. Only thing keeping him here is the contract. Kerley is a nice little player. WR3. Hill is a super raw project that we are hoping turns into Meachem. Even if he does they still suck. You list Edwards? The guy 1. isn't on the team. 2. is hurt and 3. has SUCKED for 2 seasons. Sure he's part of a solid group. He's an aging street free agent with a bad attitude. Why not list Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson and say they aren't that bad?

Ha. Last year all we needed was a pass rusher - Coples. The year before that all we needed was an improved DE (Wilkerson) and big NT (Ellis) to replace Jenkins. Just because your offense needs a QB doesn't mean you neglect it. All this talk of positions is silly anyway. The draft is for BAP, free agency is for need.

This.

See above.

Read the bold and then think about it. I almost vomit when I do. Holmes is a dog that sucked when healthy, sulked and bitched out the QB. Only thing keeping him here is the contract. Kerley is a nice little player. WR3. Hill is a super raw project that we are hoping turns into Meachem. Even if he does they still suck. You list Edwards? The guy 1. isn't on the team. 2. is hurt and 3. has SUCKED for 2 seasons. Sure he's part of a solid group. He's an aging street free agent with a bad attitude. Why not list Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson and say they aren't that bad?

Ha. Last year all we needed was a pass rusher - Coples. The year before that all we needed was an improved DE (Wilkerson) and big NT (Ellis) to replace Jenkins. Just because your offense needs a QB doesn't mean you neglect it. All this talk of positions is silly anyway. The draft is for BAP, free agency is for need.

See above.

well i think the only reason you hate the WR group is cause u hate holmes. This lockeroom cancer sh*t is crap TBH look at how well they are doing now. I really dont see why the 3 starters i listed arnt a solid bunch? We all know sanchez is bad so for him throwing to them they arnt that bad. Holmes is not a bad player he is by far the best offensive talent on the team. Kerley gets open. Hill is a rookie but can stretch the field. You seriously think drafting another WR will help? We cant get the ball to the receivers we got lets fix that first. RB atleast we dont have to rely on sanchez. But again D is where its at especially since even you admitted the problem with how much the LBs are getting paid. Draft new kids and get the old contracts out of here havbe money for other needs

if we do BAP you ok with us getting barkley?@?!@?@

Don't disagree with much, but

1. I repeat I will not give ANYBODY on this team a large long-term deal with the possible exception of WIlkerson. That starts with an injury prone dude like Landry. He's been great and I will keep him around, but NOT at any crazy number. Think of Harris. I wish we weren't paying that slug. He is a good player, but he gets way too much money.

2. Don't disagree about the guards, but I am not ready to count on Howard forever. He can disappear just as fast as he appeared and he hasn't been a monster in any event. He doesn't need to be replaced, but they should look at a competitive guy to bring in - midrounder if they aren't in love with Landolt or whoever else.

3. Don't disagree about the other 3 LBs, but I'm betting 1 or 2 are back at small numbers. Those guys can play and give you depth. Bart Scott even plays specials. They are all solid situational LBs. The problem is they are playing every down AND getting paid like they are studs.

4. Our WR core/corps is a ****ing disaster. They need another and the fact that you are counting that washed up Edwards in there proves it. I'd have more respect for that point if you'd included Gates.

1. I understand, I hope we can get rid of Harris and replace him with Te'o (wishful thinking)

2. I agree, it'd be nice to have a plan in case he craps the bed.

3. I genuinely believe all 3 are gone

4. The WR core isn't really that bad at all. Kerleys been looking great this season, Hill is a project who will pan out, sure Braylons sucked for the past two years but we're not asking him to be a #1 or #2. Holmes I hate with a passion but he's actually a pretty decent football player. If I could have it my way he'd be gone and we'd draft a WR but that won't happen.

well i think the only reason you hate the WR group is cause u hate holmes. This lockeroom cancer sh*t is crap TBH look at how well they are doing now. I really dont see why the 3 starters i listed arnt a solid bunch? We all know sanchez is bad so for him throwing to them they arnt that bad. Holmes is not a bad player he is by far the best offensive talent on the team. Kerley gets open. Hill is a rookie but can stretch the field. You seriously think drafting another WR will help? We cant get the ball to the receivers we got lets fix that first. RB atleast we dont have to rely on sanchez. But again D is where its at especially since even you admitted the problem with how much the LBs are getting paid. Draft new kids and get the old contracts out of here havbe money for other needs

if we do BAP you ok with us getting barkley?@?!@?@

The only reason I hate our WR group is because they suck. Holmes was sucking before he got hurt. What 3 starters make up a solid bunch? Holmes is the only starter I see. Kerley can start in a pinch/play slot, but he's not exactly Welker. WR was a problem area going into the season and the only guys to like better now than week 1 are Kerley and Gates. They had better add a WR. You left out Schilens who is considerably better than Edwards at this point.

I'm always okay with BAP. IMO that is what you do in the draft, though you obviously have to alter your ratings up and down based upon your current needs and contracts. I doubt I'll feel Barkley is BAP, but yes. I'd take him.

1. I understand, I hope we can get rid of Harris and replace him with Te'o (wishful thinking)

2. I agree, it'd be nice to have a plan in case he craps the bed.

3. I genuinely believe all 3 are gone

4. The WR core isn't really that bad at all. Kerleys been looking great this season, Hill is a project who will pan out, sure Braylons sucked for the past two years but we're not asking him to be a #1 or #2. Holmes I hate with a passion but he's actually a pretty decent football player. If I could have it my way he'd be gone and we'd draft a WR but that won't happen.

Agree to disagree on the WR.

The only reason I hate our WR group is because they suck. Holmes was sucking before he got hurt. What 3 starters make up a solid bunch? Holmes is the only starter I see. Kerley can start in a pinch/play slot, but he's not exactly Welker. WR was a problem area going into the season and the only guys to like better now than week 1 are Kerley and Gates. They had better add a WR. You left out Schilens who is considerably better than Edwards at this point.

I'm always okay with BAP. IMO that is what you do in the draft, though you obviously have to alter your ratings up and down based upon your current needs and contracts. I doubt I'll feel Barkley is BAP, but yes. I'd take him.

Idk how many times we go 4 reciever sets but my top 3 for the jets are holmes kerley and hill and im ok with that for now. no one is saying they are the best in the league but say we draft a above average receiver. Lets say torrey smith skill. Not Smith's stats just his skills. What will happen to the offense with sanchez? Im reckoning not much of a difference, if any.

. I

Idk how many times we go 4 reciever sets but my top 3 for the jets are holmes kerley and hill and im ok with that for now. no one is saying they are the best in the league but say we draft a above average receiver. Lets say torrey smith skill. Not Smith's stats just his skills. What will happen to the offense with sanchez? Im reckoning not much of a difference, if any.

. I

You can't use Sanchez as an excuse. The offense was better with him. You either replace him or you improve the team around him. Preferably both. 2-3 extra first downs a game do more for the defense than faster LBs - which we do need. Those may be your top 3, but not only are they fairly pedestrian, but they are all hurt. All of them. That's why you need more bodies.

You can't use Sanchez as an excuse. The offense was better with him. You either replace him or you improve the team around him. Preferably both. 2-3 extra first downs a game do more for the defense than faster LBs - which we do need. Those may be your top 3, but not only are they fairly pedestrian, but they are all hurt. All of them. That's why you need more bodies.

I can totally use him as an excuse. Wrs are dependent on the QB its simple. If he was a RB ok no correlation but WR yes. Faster LBs would prevent touchdowns that i think could be avoided. How many times have we seen backs/TEs burn the LBs for huge chunks of yards. Also you are talking about the future next year they wont be hurt atleast yet? So why does it matter if they are hurt now?

now im a firm believer you build a team around the QB. Right now we dont have that QB. You cant have all star players and then one day throw in a rookie QB not knowing his strengths or weaknesses. Heck isnt that what we did with sanchez his first year?

I can totally use him as an excuse. Wrs are dependent on the QB its simple. If he was a RB ok no correlation but WR yes. Faster LBs would prevent touchdowns that i think could be avoided. How many times have we seen backs/TEs burn the LBs for huge chunks of yards. Also you are talking about the future next year they wont be hurt atleast yet? So why does it matter if they are hurt now?

now im a firm believer you build a team around the QB. Right now we dont have that QB. You cant have all star players and then one day throw in a rookie QB not knowing his strengths or weaknesses. Heck isnt that what we did with sanchez his first year?

So we might as well have sh*tty players so we can throw a rookie QB in and learn his strengths and weaknesses? You want to abandon one side of the ball?

So we might as well have sh*tty players so we can throw a rookie QB in and learn his strengths and weaknesses? You want to abandon one side of the ball?

no again i think the most important thing is finding a franchise QB. So 2 options. Draft one this year or tank next year and draft a high draft pick one.

All the focus should be on that but idk if there is anyone "franchise" worthy this year so might as well stack whats already good.

Think about it if we had RG3 or Wilson (excluding luck cause he is luck) i think the jets would be title contenders this year and the next 10 with everyone else staying the same

Archived