Jets bringing Braylon Edwards back?

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1217346

The ex-Jet receiver that took a shot at Gang Green’s brass on Twitter recently may soon find himself in a green and white uniform. Braylon Edwards was removed from the Seahawks’ injury list Monday and will hit wit waivers at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

The Jets are considering adding Edwards, according to a source.

Were that transaction take place, it would come shortly after Edwards took a shot at the Jets’ management.

“Don't blame Sanchez. I played there. Blame the idiots calling shots. Mark is a beast and will probe it when given a proper chance,” Edwards tweeted on December 4. Edwards later apologized, tweeting, “I have disrespected and insulted an administration that I have the utmost respect for.”

“You guys know what I’ve always said about Braylon, in the past and things so you know how I feel about him,” Ryan, who has spoken highly of the former Jets receiver many times in the past, said Monday morning. At that time, Edwards was still a member of the Seattle Seahawks organization.

Edwards played 34 games for the Jets between 2009 and 2010 (postseason included), catching 13 TDs in the process.

In the preseason, Edwards was filmed on Hard Knocks trying out for the Miami Dolphins. In that episode, Edwards told Dolphins coach Joe Philbin that Rex Ryan was one of his biggest supporters in football.

Edwards has never found the success that he enjoyed with the Jets anywhere else. The receiver has made just 23 receptions between the 49ers and the Seahawks since leaving New York. In 10 games with Seattle this year, Edwards made eight receptions and caught one touchdown before he was waived/injured last week due to his knee injury.

The Jets could be in need of another wide receiver. Stephen Hill was diagnosed with a sprained LCL Monday, though his status is unknown. If Hill’s injury were serious, it would be yet another blow to the Jets’ receiving corps which lost Santonio Holmes earlier this season.

A week ago, Rex Ryan said he was considering Greg McElroy for the starting quarterback job. On Sunday, McElroy sat, inactive, behind an injured Tim Tebow. Ryan insists that Tebow is the second-string QB when healthy, though Tebow wasn’t healthy enough to run wildcat plays.

Ryan said that as the week progressed, “I felt good about getting Tim in that spot.”

“If he’s healthy, where I think he’s healthy, then he would have that role,” he added.

Ryan told ESPN Radio that he hoped to put Tebow into the game if it turned into a blowout, though that did not materialize and Tebow sat. Ryan said he would have just called running plays in that circumstance and would not have had Tebow throw the ball.

The coach also compared Tebow to 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, though he pointed out that Tebow has “got more wins that Kaepernick.” That’s probably little consolation to the Jets’ backup QB, who’s season has been largely unsuccessful. Asked on ESPN Radio if he believes Tebow is disappointed with this season, Ryan admitted, “That’s probably a true statement.”

LB Bryan Thomas was diagnosed with a strained pectoral injury Monday following an MRI. Thomas is day-to-day. CB Aaron Berry also suffered a hamstring injury during Sunday’s game against the Jaguars.

The Jets’ Sunday Night Game in Week 16 against the Chargers has been flexed to a 1 p.m. slot, making way for the 49ers-Seahawks game to take its place. The move means the Jets last national appearance this season, barring a postseason berth, will be Monday night against the Titans.

“We definitely were embarrassed the last time we were on national television and we feel like we’ve got something to prove,” Yeremiah Bell said, referring to the Jets’ 49-19 Thanksgiving loss to the Patriots.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz2Ei3PxQdK

Report: Jets may bring back Braylon Edwards

Posted by Mike Florio on December 10, 2012, 8:36 PM EST

edwards.jpg?w=210

AP

The Seahawks are done with receiver Braylon Edwards. Another team that was believed to be done with Braylon Edwards may not be.

Yes, the “idiots calling the shots” with the Jets could be dialing up Edwards, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Edwards officially was waived from injured reserve on Monday, which will give the Jets and every other team a chance to claim him on waivers. The Jets, per Schefter, could indeed claim Edwards or try to sign him if he clears waivers.

With the Jets suddenly in unexpected position to steal a playoff spot, thanks to losses on Sunday by the Bengals and Steelers, and with receiver Stephen Hillsuffering a knee injury against the Jaguars, the Jets have a need — and Edwards could be the one to fill it.

Edwards later apologized for the “idiots” comment, which may be good enough for the Jets. Especially since they have a clear and significant requirement at the position Edwards plays.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/10/report-jets-may-bring-back-braylon-edwards/

I never complained about the Jets not bringing Edwards back, he was a knuckle head, and no need to give him a LTC.

If your the Jets and you think you can reach the playoffs, you can't be thinking about this it's a no brainer, you can't continue to run out that crap at WR, BE might not be what he was, but he is by far better than anything the Jets have.

God willing, they sign him and Sanchez throws 2 TDs to Edwards on MNF next week. Especially if they're awful throws and Edwards just comes down with them somehow. Please let this happen. Please.

How long before the "Numbers since Braylon" thread start?

If it doesn't work out, it's just 3 games, season is over he walks away, Jets say goodbye. No reason to not do this other than personnel reasons, and that's unexceptable to run your team that way, can't let something that is best for its possible success because your feelings are hurt.

God willing, they sign him and Sanchez throws 2 TDs to Edwards on MNF next week. Especially if they're awful throws and Edwards just comes down with them somehow. Please let this happen. Please.

That is the exact script from the last time the Jets acquired him during the season! Hope it happens again, and 5 more times after that!

Thoughts:

1. HELL YES.

2. Why not already?

3. Is it possible to sign him for multiple years on the cheap? If so, I would do so. If not, OK anyway...

4. If the Jets had him on a multi-year contract, it might change the entire complexion of this offense heading into the off-season. You would then have a 1/2/3/4 consisting of Holmes, Edwards, Kerley and Hill heading into 2013-2014, which isn't bad at all. If you spent your 1st round pick on RB, or impact TE (like Gronk/Hernandez/Graham if one is available) and maybe a 2nd on RT or LG then the offense has completely changed.

5. As much as I hate Holmes, it is obvious how much we're hurting without him. This situation is fixable with Holmes back next year, just add 2 or 3 talented pieces around him. We know the defense will be very good as long as the offense is scoring a few more points and holding onto the ball just a little longer.

6. "According to a source" = meaningless.

Thoughts:

1. HELL YES.

2. Why not already?

3. Is it possible to sign him for multiple years on the cheap? If so, I would do so. If not, OK anyway...

4. If the Jets had him on a multi-year contract, it might change the entire complexion of this offense heading into the off-season. You would then have a 1/2/3/4 consisting of Holmes, Edwards, Kerley and Hill heading into 2013-2014, which isn't bad at all. If you spent your 1st round pick on RB, or impact TE (like Gronk/Hernandez/Graham if one is available) and maybe a 2nd on RT or LG then the offense has completely changed.

5. As much as I hate Holmes, it is obvious how much we're hurting without him. This situation is fixable with Holmes back next year, just add 2 or 3 talented pieces around him. We know the defense will be very good as long as the offense is scoring a few more points and holding onto the ball just a little longer.

6. "According to a source" = meaningless.

So a WR who couldn't manage to keep a roster spot on the Dolphins, the dolphins bro, is suddenly going to change the complexity of our entire offense??

So a WR who couldn't manage to keep a roster spot on the Dolphins, the dolphins bro, is suddenly going to change the complexity of our entire offense??

You're right, that's a good point. I'm probably completely wrong about this, I'm just willing to give it a chance.

I just think about it like this:

-You can tell that Braylon gets along well with Mark.

-He's one of very, very few players that has actually made Mark look GOOD at some point in his career.

-He strikes me as the kind of guy that plays harder when he's in the right situation, and this seems like it's the right situation for him.

-No one denies the innate talent.

Finally, by far the most important point of all:

-Any ball thrown to Braylon Edwards is one less ball thrown to Chaz Schilens, Mardy Giliard or... who the hell knows who.

The Jets are reportedly interested in recently waived wide receiver Braylon Edwards.

The receiving corps, stretched for talent since Santonio Holmes went down with a Lisfranc injury early in the year, is even thinner now. Jeremy Kerley has had nagging injuries, although seems to be healthy for the moment. Chaz Schilens is still healthy. That’s about it. Clyde Gates is still recovering from a concussion, and against Jacksonville this past Sunday, rookie Stephen Hill badly sprained his knee and is out indefinitely.

The Seahawks released Edwards the day after he made controversial remarks on Twitter about…you guessed it…the Jets and embattled quarterback Mark Sanchez. Edwards was supportive of Sanchez and critical of Jets coaching and management. Edwards tried to walk back his remarks, saying they were an emotional outburst in support of his friend and he has no ill will toward anyone in the Jets organization.

Edwards has battled a knee injury for most of the two seasons he’s been away from New York, limiting his playing time and production. Still, with the way the Jets have been losing receivers, they might be willing to take a gamble on him, even with his injuries and no matter what he tweeted.

Jets fans, particularly on Twitter (and including me), have been supportive of a Jets/Edwards reunion. They’ve embraced the idea of his return and have been nostalgic and about him, a guy who was part of the 2009 and 2010 Jets teams that made playoff runs. Many fans believe it was Edwards the Jets should have signed long term instead of Holmes. He was a receiver who Sanchez had some chemistry with (a rare occurrence for anyone and Sanchez these days). And Edwards is still a good fit for the Jets: a veteran receiver, supportive of Sanchez, who a guy like Stephen Hill could learn from. It’s risky, but could be rewarding.

On Sunday, Edwards was on Twitter again, mentioning that there were some great games going on and that he’d love to be helping some team win games.

Could that team be the Jets? “Sources” say it’s a possibility. Take it with a grain of salt, but this could be an easy fix to a mistake that shouldn’t have been made in the first place.

You're right, that's a good point. I'm probably completely wrong about this, I'm just willing to give it a chance.

I just think about it like this:

-You can tell that Braylon gets along well with Mark.

-He's one of very, very few players that has actually made Mark look GOOD at some point in his career.

-He strikes me as the kind of guy that plays harder when he's in the right situation, and this seems like it's the right situation for him.

-No one denies the innate talent.

Finally, by far the most important point of all:

-Any ball thrown to Braylon Edwards is one less ball thrown to Chaz Schilens, Mardy Giliard or... who the hell knows who.

Just busting your balls. I personally preferred Braylon to Holmes when that whole argument was going on, not because I think Bray is a superior talent, but because he fits Mark better. In order for Holmes' skillset to be best utilized, he needs a quarterback with precision accuracy to hit him in stride and take advantage of his route running and YAC ability...all of that is an anathema to mark. Braylon on the other hand has speed, good leaping ability and body control and can reel in some of those errant passes that plague mark so much. I personally have no issue at all with the signing, provided he's healthy.

Archived