One Idea to Eliminate the Kick Off in the NFL

slats

I already said I thought the idea was stupid. But it's pretty clear that something has to be changed. The reality of things is that head and spinal injuries only get the attention they need at the pro level, but are needed most at the high school and collegiate levels because that's the group that's the most susceptible to brain and spinal damage in football for obvious reasons. I love how the game is played, but it's pretty obvious that we can't keep everything the same when you've got kids between 14-22 suffering from multiple concussions, getting paralyzed, and dying. And the NFL is the only entity with the money, resources, and most importantly the influence to effectuate any real sort of change because so many of the lower institutions function as factories for colleges, and then colleges for the pros.

what are you suggesting then?

no one is going to argue that people getting hurt is a bad thing. Problem is its easy to say something but harder to find a solution. This is their solution and im not into it. Id rather see money being spent on specific equipment like a neck brace /newer helmet then changing an aspect of the game. If a scientist says its not possible so be it change away but for right now where there is evidence about better equipment im all for putting all the eggs in that basket

what are you suggesting then?

no one is going to argue that people getting hurt is a bad thing. Problem is its easy to say something but harder to find a solution. This is their solution and im not into it. Id rather see money being spent on specific equipment like a neck brace /newer helmet then changing an aspect of the game. If a scientist says its not possible so be it change away but for right now where there is evidence about better equipment im all for putting all the eggs in that basket

It's not a solution, it's an idea. The only way you solve for things like this is through dialogue and experimentation. It's not an easy fix because the rules and aspects of the game are so engrained in every level and facet, from the employees down to the equipment. Though I think this specific idea is particularly bad and wouldn't do much, at the very least it triggers dialogue, which is what always comes first in anything. If you're looking for suggestions and solutions, I'm afraid you're asking the wrong questions, because the first step is identifying exactly what has to be changed, which is what they're currently doing.

It's not a solution, it's an idea. The only way you solve for things like this is through dialogue and experimentation. It's not an easy fix because the rules and aspects of the game are so engrained in every level and facet, from the employees down to the equipment. Though I think this specific idea is particularly bad and wouldn't do much, at the very least it triggers dialogue, which is what always comes first in anything. If you're looking for suggestions and solutions, I'm afraid you're asking the wrong questions, because the first step is identifying exactly what has to be changed, which is what they're currently doing.

thats what im asking. We know what is the problem - people getting hurt. Now the question is - how do we fix this. There solution is- get rid of kickoffs

dialogue is as such. just dialogue. This rule change just seems like an empty action to me

thats what im asking. We know what is the problem - people getting hurt. Now the question is - how do we fix this. There solution is- get rid of kickoffs

Knowing that people are getting hurt isn't knowledge of the problem. It's just a general observation. What they're concerned with is how people get hurt. As in, what in the game, more probabilistically, leads to injury? They don't know this yet. And obviously neither do you or I.

dialogue is as such. just dialogue. This rule change just seems like an empty action to me

Did you even read the article? There is no rule change. This is just an idea being discussed as of right now.

Knowing that people are getting hurt isn't knowledge of the problem. It's just a general observation. What they're concerned with is how people get hurt. As in, what in the game, more probabilistically, leads to injury? They don't know this yet. And obviously neither do you or I.

Did you even read the article? There is no rule change. This is just an idea being discussed as of right now.

The thing is they are obviously implying - how do people get hurt? Kickoffs

This isnt implemented obviously but them just coming up with the idea says something about there mindset. Its a solution to a problem they came up with. Doesnt mean its going to happen or if its right. I just think they arnt looking at the right angle

I agree to an extent, but over the long term, (we're talking a few decades here), there's bound to be some real problems because parents are eventually going to start steering their kids away from the sport. If you had a son, would you really push him towards playing football? Not like if he actually wanted to play, that's different; I'm talking about a parent just signing their kid up because, well, they're a kid and you want them out of the ****ing house, and most of the best athletes in the world have been going at their respective sport since at least their early teens, or even earlier. I can't even begin to imagine the number of kids that wind up having a long career through HS and college because their parents pushed it on them from day one. That's definitely going to shift as time goes on and the NFL has to make sure that doesn't happen. Yes, the league is a money making machine, but that's only right now and it hasn't always been that way. If it doesn't ensure that over the long term it's going to have the best athletes in the world composing its rosters, it's only creating a means for its end.

Word. In the incredibly unfortunate hypothetical circumstance by which I end up with children, I wouldn't let them play football until post-puberty. I'd start them with soccer (to develop the white muscle fiber in their calves), then I'd unleash my little psychopaths on a football field only when it behooves their juvenile efforts to get to third base with that hot sophomore cheerleader.

To be serious, I agree that eventually the league will take its turn in the popularity dip that baseball and basketball have experienced. I'm just not sure that injuries will be the cause. The concussion emphasis, troubling though it is, gets offset in suburban homes by the supermajority of dads who played football and came through sans brain damage. I have a female friend who just pulled her twins out of Pop Warner because--quote--"[she] read an article on Yahoo." You already see the NFL countering this sort of thing with that clever Ray Lewis' mom commercial, and I'm sure you'll see more of that. Then, they'll introduce the new helmet and everyone will forget, at least in the near term, that giant dudes running 4.3's into each other is pretty deadly. Overall, though, I think it's just a media thing that will subside. Parents pulled their kids out of football after Theisman, then after Dennis Byrd, etc. They come back.

But it was Yahoo, mon..

What has ruined football is the owners, and below them.. the schools.. hear me out.

Football is now OWNED by a group of people , who decide when and how it is played..when it was owned by the people, mon.

Football didn't originate with a bunch of billionaires and school administrators getting together and devising a scheme to make money..but that is what it has devolved into.. I guess coaches and football players are easy to manipulate.

Archived