Jets To Sign WR Edwards

JetNation

December 11, 2012 4:30 PM

Jets reunite with wide receiver Braylon Edwards

BY Manish Mehta

Desperation prompted the Jets to reunite with a familiar and outspoken player from their past.

One week after Braylon Edwards called the team’s braintrust “idiots” in a Twitter rant, the free agent wideout landed back in green-and-white.

The Jets were awarded Edwards off waivers from the Seahawks on Tuesday in an effort to bolster an injury-ravaged wide receiving corps.

It was an unusual, but necessary move for a team ravaged by injuries to their wide receiver corps. Rookie Stephen Hill’s knee sprain suffered in last week’s win in Jacksonville paved the way for Edwards, who ripped the organization seven days earlier.

Edwards, 29, made critical comments about the team’s treatment of Mark Sanchez on his official Twitter page on Dec. 4: “Don’t blame Sanchez. I played there. Blame the idiots calling shots. Mark is a beast and will (prove) it when given a proper chance,” Edwards tweeted.

He backed off those remarks later that day with another tweet that read, “I would like to apologize to the Jets family and my fans for my emotional outburst. Mark is a friend and former teammate, who I wholeheartedly support. Nonetheless, I have disrespected and insulted an administration that I have the utmost respect for.”

Rex Ryan has always had an affinity for Edwards, who played a pivotal role in the Jets’ run to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in 2009 and 2010. “You guys know what I’ve always said about Braylon in the past, so you know how I feel about him,” Ryan said Monday about the possibility of bringing Edwards back. “But right now, I think we’ll just focus on the guys we have.”

The Jets, who lost top offensive weapon Santonio Holmes to a season-ending foot injury in Week 4, were down to only two healthy receivers with experience (Jeremy Kerley and Chaz Schilens). Journeyman Mardy Gilyard, rookie Jordan White and Clyde Gates, who missed the past few weeks with a concussion, were the only other receivers on the active roster.

Edwards had 88 receptions for 1,445 yards and 11 touchdowns in 28 regular-season games with the Jets, including a team-high 904 yards in 2010. The Jets chose to sign Holmes to a long-term deal after the 2010 season and let Edwards walk in free agency.

Edwards, who has had knee problems, has caught only 23 passes with one touchdown since he left the Jets. He struggled with the 49ers in 2011 (15 receptions, 181 yards in nine games) before he was released late in the season.

Edwards had just eight catches for 74 yards with one touchdown in 10 games with the Seahawks this season before he was waived/injured. He was placed on the team’s injured reserve list last week before he was taken off it on Monday. The Jets put in a waiver claim.

Edwards had a good on-field rapport with Sanchez, but it’s unrealistic to expect him to be a panacea for the Jets’ struggles through the air this season.

“He's a great guy, a great player,” defensive lineman Mike DeVito told WFAN on Tuesday before Edwards passed through waivers. “I would love to have him back."

NOTE: RB Kahlil Bell was released, according to a source…. CB Aaron Berry’s hamstring injury is expected to sideline him for 2-3 weeks, which would effectively end his season, according to a source.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

braylon's "idiots" comment was the spurned ex-lover. He always wanted to go back and was getting emotional.

degenerate gambling side note:

what do we think las vegas would set as the line on Bray's # of catches on MNF? They might set it at 2.

considering his low production all year, 3 catches for anyone in this offense is an awesome day. Plexico came back to PIT and had 1 catch for 18 yards last week.

(and wouldn't it be fun to take the over)

man i really hope he stilll has some gas left in the tank. was one of my favorite players in 2009 and 2010. if we get some luck for once and he comes in and contributes the fans will love him more then ever

I hope so too, but I think expecting much at this point is a reach.

This guy had a pretty bad knee injury, and pretty much every other team in the NFL passed on him for a reason. He barely got playing time in Seattle, and while there receivers are OK, and light years ahead of the Jets receivers, they are not exactly world beaters either.

man i really hope he stilll has some gas left in the tank. was one of my favorite players in 2009 and 2010. if we get some luck for once and he comes in and contributes the fans will love him more then ever

This is where he wants to be. He is going to turn it on now. He has always been a guy who took time off when not "excited".

What exactly did he do to his knee in San Fran? And is he hurt right now or can he play?

He tore his meniscus back in September 2011, and I have had a complete tear of my meniscus, (I was 28, and did while in goal playing hockey) after surgery the Dr. Told me the meniscus tore, and flipped, and because I don't play sports for a living I was told I could either have surgery, or try, and let it heal it self which would take longer, but would require no surgery (when I was 18 I had a slight tear in my other knee of my meniscus, I had no health insurance at the time, it did eventually heal, but I reaggrevated it twice in 2 years, finally when I got serious about getting back in shape did it fully heal, and not give me any more trouble since I was 22), anyway after the surgery because of the flip if I choose to not have surgery it would have never really healed. It took me about 2 months to feel comfortable doing light physical activity, and I was back in goal with no fear, or further problems 10 months later, and could have done that earlier, but that was when season started.

My point is Braylon either had a bad surgeon, (my surgeon was the Arizona Dbacks on call orthopedic for when they were in the northeast, and mid-Atlantic road trips) never had surgery, or has other undisclosed knee problems if it really is still bothering him.

Hopefully he was just depressed, and never got over getting dumped by his 1 true love, and that love is giving him a 2nd chance, and we see BE back in Beast Mode for 3 games, time will tell.

Archived