Yankees fans you get Kevin Youkilis

faba

Former Boston Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis has verbally agreed to become a New York Yankee, according to sources.

The deal is expected to be for one-year and $12 million, according to officials with knowledge of the talks.

Youkilis, who will turn 34 in March, will play third base for the Yankees in place of the injured Alex Rodriguez. In 2012, Youkilis hit .235 with 19 homers and 60 RBIs in 111 games. After feuding with then Boston manager Bobby Valentine, Youkilis spent the most of the season with the Chicago White Sox.

The Yankees are expected to add another veteran by the end of the week. Outfielder Ichiro Suzuki's agent and the team are finishing up the details on a one-year contract, sources said Monday.

Both Youkilis' contract, Ichiro's expected agreement and the already finalized contracts with Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte and Hiroki Kuroda do not add any money toward 2014. The Yankees are working to fall under the $189 million payroll mark by '14 to take advantage of luxury tax and revenue sharing advantage that could net them around $50 million.

Youkilis was not the Yankees' first choice at third. Going into the winter meetings, the Yankees' hoped to sign up a platoon of Jeff Keppinger and Eric Chavez. Instead, Keppinger inked a three-year deal with the White Sox, while Chavez took $3 million, on a 1-year contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The Yankees did not formally offer either a contract

There is no such thing as a bad one year contract.

Hey Carl can you please ship Youk a case of whatever he was taking in the 2008 offseason? Thanks man!

Yeah, probably so, but the economics must be a lot better, for everybody, to see some of the contracts being handed out.

Are you really suggesting that a player can slug 120 points higher than his career high up to that point by being in a better lineup or that he wasn't healthy for the entire first 4 years of his career? Come on.

I'm saying a guy can have a career year and not be suspected of wrongdoing because there isn't a shred of evidence.

I can't wait to see him and Joba in clubhouse for the first time. :)

12 million dollars to see if the guy has anything left in the tank. Brilliant

The one upside to the move is the guy can play 3rd for now but he will also be able to spell Tex over at first and lose basically nothing defensively.

God dammit. Having lived in Boston from 2004 to 2009, there wasn't a single player on that team that I disliked more than Youklis, but I'm going to treat it the same way I treated Jason Taylor; I'll root for the guy to do well, but hate him again once that jersey comes off.

No way is it comparable imo. And besides Arod is and always will be the biggest douchebag on this team.

No way is it comparable imo. And besides Arod is and always will be the biggest douchebag on this team.

One way to look at it. However, doesn't really make me feel better.

This team gets more unlikable by the day. Gonna suck when Jeter and Mo are retired unless we get some hungry, talented youth soon.

It wasn't a career year. He became a +100 SLG player over that off season.

Listen, I see his dome...

07232009youkilis.jpg

and think if there is a 'roid head' definition in the dictionary..his picture is there.

With that being said, it was a career year. He had career highs in Hits, BA, 2Bs, HRs and RBIs.

Like with Ortiz, I am not saying he was clean, but a player having career years in his 5th season (3rd full season) as a player is not an automatic qualifier that he is on roids.

If so, Jeter is on roids. In his 5th season, Jeter had career high in hits, 3Bs, HRs, RBIs and BA. His OPS went up over a 100. Must be on roids.

Listen, I see his dome...

07232009youkilis.jpg

and think if there is a 'roid head' definition in the dictionary..his picture is there.

With that being said, it was a career year. He had career highs in Hits, BA, 2Bs, HRs and RBIs.

Like with Ortiz, I am not saying he was clean, but a player having career years in his 5th season (3rd full season) as a player is not an automatic qualifier that he is on roids.

If so, Jeter is on roids. In his 5th season, Jeter had career high in hits, 3Bs, HRs, RBIs and BA. His OPS went up over a 100. Must be on roids.

A 100 point increase in SLG is very different than anything Jeter had. Youk's SLG stayed well above 500 for 4 years after 2008 after never having broken 460 before. That doesn't happen.

A 100 point increase in SLG is very different than anything Jeter had. Youk's SLG stayed well above 500 for 4 years after 2008 after never having broken 460 before. That doesn't happen.

Sure it does. Youk killed pitchers because they didn't want to walk him and the guys hitting in front or behind him were great. Just assuming bad things is a terrible way to go through life.

Pitchers just don't stay dominant after 40. Rivera must be on something! See how it works? No proof at all and I don't even believe it so I'm just going to throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

Sure it does. Youk killed pitchers because they didn't want to walk him and the guys hitting in front or behind him were great. Just assuming bad things is a terrible way to go through life.

Pitchers just don't stay dominant after 40. Rivera must be on something! See how it works? No proof at all and I don't even believe it so I'm just going to throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

Rivera didn't just magically get better than he's been his whole career though. Youk did.

Rivera didn't just magically get better than he's been his whole career though. Youk did.

So gaining experience does not count for anything? Ok.

You are making it out like he was Brady Anderson by going from 17 to 50 and back on down.

All Youk's numbers increased his first few seasons. He sustained for two more years and then has dropped off in average the past few seasons.

Archived