Bilal Powell article- NY Post

Kentucky Jet

Jets RB may be setting stage for next season

:winking0001: By MARK HALE

Last Updated: 3:43 AM, December 13, 2012

, Bilal Powell’s carries increase, which bears watching going into next season.

The Jets’ second-year running back is emerging as one of the integral components of the team’s offense, and it’s worth wondering whether he’s capable of becoming the starting running back next year. Shonn Greene will be a free agent after this season, and it’s hard to see the Jets wanting to give him major money. If Greene and the team part ways, can Powell be his successor?

Maybe. The 24-year-old Powell barely got any work last year as a fourth-round rookie out of Louisville, carrying the ball a total of 13 times for 21 yards and no touchdowns. This season has been much different. Powell has been asked to run 89 times, has churned out 356 yards (a 4.0 average), has scored four touchdowns and hasn’t fumbled.

CSM/LandovBACK TO BACK: Jets running back Bilal Powell’s (above) workload has increased lately which raises the possibility he could be the team’s featured back in 2013. Shonn Greene can become a free agent once the current season ends.“He’s running real hard for us,” center Nick Mangold said. “He’s really seeing the reads well, hitting the holes pretty quick.”

The 5-foot-11, 207-pound Powell, who has good speed and runs aggressively, has seen his role increase massively in the last four weeks. In fact, he’s incrementally setting career highs in rushing attempts. Four weeks ago, he ran the ball a then-career-best 11 times for 42 yards and scored his first two NFL touchdowns against the Rams.

A few days later against the Patriots, Powell ran 12 times for 40 yards and another touchdown.

Two weeks ago, he again had 12 carries, this time for 58 yards versus the Cardinals, and Sunday he racked up 19 carries for 78 yards and a touchdown in the win over the Jaguars.

Rex Ryan was asked if Greene and Powell are now co-starters, and the coach dismissed it. But he gushed about his second-year man.

“Shonn is obviously the guy that gets the majority of the carries, but we feel great about Bilal Powell,” Ryan said. “When you run the ball the way we were [against Jacksonville], both of the guys get the carries and that’s great. But [in terms of ranking them as] 1 and 1A, we’re just trying to find ways to win games. Generally, Shonn is going to be the guy that gets the majority of the carries, but I certainly like the way Bilal is playing.”

Granted, Ryan raves about plenty of his players, so it’s worth keeping his comments in perspective. But Powell’s performance lately has been both impressive now and promising for next season.

“Bilal’s done a good job all year,” guard Brandon Moore said. “He was banged up a little bit with the shoulder and the concussion here and thereHe does a great job. He’s huge for us on third down.”

If Powell can be a long-term answer, then the Jets might have three valuable players out of last year’s draft — Mo Wilkerson (1st), Powell (4th) and Jeremy Kerley (5th). They also could have a starting running back next year.

I like Powell. Always have. Another great mid round find by Tanny.

I'd like to see the roles reversed though. Get Powell going early and let Greene wear out the defense with his punishing running style and ability to get yards after contact late. Wouldnt be upset if they kept both for next season if Greene is cheap enough. They are nice compliment to each other.

I'd like to see the roles reversed though. Get Powell going early and let Greene wear out the defense with his punishing running style and ability to get yards after contact late. Wouldnt be upset if they kept both for next season if Greene is cheap enough. They are nice compliment to each other.

I agree that a role reversal makes more sense. Powell's more of a natural receiver, which is useful early, too.

I really don't like Greene. If they keep him, I hope it's only because he's dirt cheap and they have Powell and another back in front of him on the depth chart next season. Maybe the RB Joe McKnight is supposed to be. A guy with a lot of speed, who catches the ball extremely well. That would be the ideal compliment to Powell. You could have a FB capable of carrying the football take over what Greene's role should be.

The fumble total is important, too. Powell has none, Greene is credited with 4 this year. Small hands.

I agree that a role reversal makes more sense. Powell's more of a natural receiver, which is useful early, too.

I really don't like Greene. If they keep him, I hope it's only because he's dirt cheap and they have Powell and another back in front of him on the depth chart next season. Maybe the RB Joe McKnight is supposed to be. A guy with a lot of speed, who catches the ball extremely well. That would be the ideal compliment to Powell. You could have a FB capable of carrying the football take over what Greene's role should be.

The fumble total is important, too. Powell has none, Greene is credited with 4 this year. Small hands.

I like Greene in the bruiser role. Was surprised to see over half his yards this season have come after contact. But I agree, if he's not dirt cheap, you let him walk and look for a young speed back who can be a game breaker.

Not to be a complete homer, but for the first time since I dont know when, I really like a Gators RB...Mike Gillislee. He's got a very nice combination of speed and power. Knows how to run between the tackles and break it outside. He can also break away once he reaches the second level because he's got a little wiggle to him. Not sure where he's going to go in the draft. Maybe 3rd round. Dont think he's going to blow anyone away at combine but I bet he has a great Senior Bowl and when scouts watch tape on him and see him shredding SEC's D's...he'll get some serious consideration.

I'd like to see the roles reversed though. Get Powell going early and let Greene wear out the defense with his punishing running style and ability to get yards after contact late.

Cant do that! Rex might hurt Shonn's feelings! We need our players to feel comfortable in their roles, not worrying that if they suck, someone will come in and replace them.

Greene was terrific coming in behind Dancing Bear and LT. What the Jets failed to consider is that he was good in a pretty specific role and erroneously assumed his performance would translate to that of a #1 RB. Another bonehead move. Now, he expects to be paid and treated like a #1. No going back to what actually worked. Sayonara Shonn.

There are some serious joke opportunities from this statement, but I'm afraid there aren't enough perverts here to get them.

I don't think the volume of perverts is the issue, JN has those in vast supply, I think it's the lack of cleverness amongst those perverts that's the greater hurdle here.

That said, this also seemed appropriate:

tumblr_m5g6a4D9un1rtvb1so1_500.gif

mcknight could be a playmaker. If hes good in space on returns he should be good in space running the ball

I really hoped so...but somebody on that staff disagrees because even when he was healthy they rarely let him run and god forbid they threw him a friggin screen pass.

I just cant figure out what they were doing with him.

I really hoped so...but somebody on that staff disagrees because even when he was healthy they rarely let him run and god forbid they threw him a friggin screen pass.

I just cant figure out what they were doing with him.

yea i agree man and when they do let him play they are killing the kid.

he hurt his mcl or ankle or something on that 40-60 yard run he had and they were like hes out for 2 weeks. Next game .... hes running straight up the middle getting killed

Considering he's been the lead RB here for the past two seasons, on what other basis do you expect him to negotiate his next contract?

Yeah, but there is no way to determine what people will offer him. It's not like other teams haven't seen what the guy can and cannot do. Of course it only takes one team to pay him like a starter, but his negotiation basis is pretty much irrelevant. I haven't heard any posturing from the guy during his time here. It wasn't quite like with the WRs and Cro. I'd expect him to be comparable to Brandon Jacobs on the open market.

Yeah, but there is no way to determine what people will offer him. It's not like other teams haven't seen what the guy can and cannot do. Of course it only takes one team to pay him like a starter, but his negotiation basis is pretty much irrelevant. I haven't heard any posturing from the guy during his time here. It wasn't quite like with the WRs and Cro. I'd expect him to be comparable to Brandon Jacobs on the open market.

Jacobs doesnt even play...I think he'll be more like a Michael Bush on the open market. I direct back up to someone who has injury history. Like Ryan Matthews or Darren McFadden.

He doesn't play now. I'm talking about when he left the Giants. I'm sure he thought he was going to be letting them lighten the load on Gore

Over Kendall Hunter and Lamarcus James? I dunno. I was confused by it. Thought it was one of the places he'd get the least amount of touches.

What'd he get $1.5 for one? That's not crazy. Depending on who else is out there, I'd consider that for Greene.

Yeah, thats what he got. I'd resign Greene for that as well. But, I think Greene is going to get a better look than that. He's still rather young, been a starter for 2 full seasons and more than likely is going to have back to back 1,000 yard seasons.

yea i agree man and when they do let him play they are killing the kid.

he hurt his mcl or ankle or something on that 40-60 yard run he had and they were like hes out for 2 weeks. Next game .... hes running straight up the middle getting killed

FWIW, he's been hurt nearly the entire year. They did actually hit him on a pass recently, used him split. Strangely they haven't tried to run him wide. Injuries and lack of ball security are probably holding him back this year.

FWIW, he's been hurt nearly the entire year. They did actually hit him on a pass recently, used him split. Strangely they haven't tried to run him wide. Injuries and lack of ball security are probably holding him back this year.

yea i mentioned it he like hurt his ankle or something. But i remember hearing reports that he was going to be out 4 weeks with the injury and then next week they had him running. Im like good god they want the kid to die. I am excited to see what he can do next year once he heals up he may turn into an exciting player

Archived