Bilal Powell article- NY Post

Kentucky Jet

yea i mentioned it he like hurt his ankle or something. But i remember hearing reports that he was going to be out 4 weeks with the injury and then next week they had him running. Im like good god they want the kid to die. I am excited to see what he can do next year once he heals up he may turn into an exciting player

It was a "high" ankle sprain he got during the long run. As far as I'm concerned there are degrees, though some people hear high ankle and wet their diapers. He had been battling hamstring issues since camp IIRC. The team seems to have more injuries. It could be adapting to the new practice rules or luck catching up.

Yeah, thats what he got. I'd resign Greene for that as well. But, I think Greene is going to get a better look than that. He's still rather young, been a starter for 2 full seasons and more than likely is going to have back to back 1,000 yard seasons.

There are gonna be Shonn Greenes available in the middle rounds of any draft. He's a pretty middling, one-dimensional RB. The 2013 FA class will also have Steven Jackson (the exact guy Tannenbaum/Rex are likely to go after themselves), Reggie Bush, Mendenhall and Felix Jones.

Given the generally light market for FA RBs to begin with, and the players in front of him, I just don't see a lot of interest for Greene. If the Jets don't act, I think he'll still be looking for work next June.

There are gonna be Shonn Greenes available in the middle rounds of any draft. He's a pretty middling, one-dimensional RB. The 2013 FA class will also have Steven Jackson (the exact guy Tannenbaum/Rex are likely to go after themselves), Reggie Bush, Mendenhall and Felix Jones.

Given the generally light market for FA RBs to begin with, and the players in front of him, I just don't see a lot of interest for Greene. If the Jets don't act, I think he'll still be looking for work next June.

Maybe you didnt read the whole conversation. I think there will be plenty of interest in Greene as a back-up to an injury prone RB or a declining one or a late game bruiser but not much as a starter.

When was the last time a RB coming off back to back 1,000 yard seasons hit the open market? This year there could be 3. Thats what will make it interesting for Greene.

Maybe you didnt read the whole conversation. I think there will be plenty of interest in Greene as a back-up to an injury prone RB or a declining one or a late game bruiser but not much as a starter.

When was the last time a RB coming off back to back 1,000 yard seasons hit the open market? This year there could be 3. Thats what will make it interesting for Greene.

Yawn.

The 1000 yard season meant something when they played 12 game seasons. A starter averaging < 70 yards/game? Not impressive. He has 16 TDs and 11 fumbles in his career. He looks like he's having an epileptic fit when he tries to catch a pass.

Yeah, he might garner a little interest as a backup, but no one's signing a veteran backup RB until after the draft, especially one as limited as Shonn Greene.

Yawn.

The 1000 yard season meant something when they played 12 game seasons. A starter averaging < 70 yards/game? Not impressive. He has 16 TDs and 11 fumbles in his career. He looks like he's having an epileptic fit when he tries to catch a pass.

Yeah, he might garner a little interest as a backup, but no one's signing a veteran backup RB until after the draft, especially one as limited as Shonn Greene.

I would - for light money. I know I like Greene more than most here, but the Jets are probably not a team that can rely on a middle round RB. They already have run through a few of those guys and none of them is trustworthy. The Jets can (and should) hope to strike gold with a later back, but they should have at least one guy in camp that is a known commodity.

It was a "high" ankle sprain he got during the long run. As far as I'm concerned there are degrees, though some people hear high ankle and wet their diapers. He had been battling hamstring issues since camp IIRC. The team seems to have more injuries. It could be adapting to the new practice rules or luck catching up.

regular ankle sprains are bad for a rb like him and high should be even worse i guess he toughed it out. meh his hamstring yea maybe different training or just natural. Heck he may have just come in out of shape expecting to not play ever for all we know lol. I like him more then powell though i think he can be a "playmaker" by himself

McKnight doesn't play because he's a moron that can't (or won't) learn how to be a complete back. Simple as that.

McKnight doesn't play because he's a moron that can't (or won't) learn how to be a complete back. Simple as that.

Plenty of "incomplete" backs make quite a nice living and help teams out plenty. I keep saying I would try to use him like an Eric Metcalf who I'm sure 3/4 of these people never heard of. Plenty of morons do quite well also - see Manningham, Mario.

Plenty of "incomplete" backs make quite a nice living and help teams out plenty. I keep saying I would try to use him like an Eric Metcalf who I'm sure 3/4 of these people never heard of. Plenty of morons do quite well also - see Manningham, Mario.

Agreed, which makes McKnight's lack of a role here all the more damning. He must be a real piece of work behind the scenes.

Yawn.

I think there is an argument out there in a pass happy league where RB by committee dominates the landscape of the NFL, that a 1,000 yard rusher is more impressive then it was when the league was run heavy.

Greene most certainly will get interest from teams, no doubt about it. He'll be back-up/bruiser compliment somewhere in the league if its not with the Jets.

I think there is an argument out there in a pass happy league where RB by committee dominates the landscape of the NFL, that a 1,000 yard rusher is more impressive then it was when the league was run heavy.

Makes what Adrian Peterson is doing this year all the more impressive.

I would - for light money. I know I like Greene more than most here, but the Jets are probably not a team that can rely on a middle round RB. They already have run through a few of those guys and none of them is trustworthy. The Jets can (and should) hope to strike gold with a later back, but they should have at least one guy in camp that is a known commodity.

I think the Jets have that middle round, known commodity in Bilal Powell. I'd actually like to see them target the RB position as early as the first round of the draft, but see this regime as more likely to chase after a Steve Jackson. They really need to upgrade the position, not maintain the status quo. Either way, Greene is dispensable.

I think the Jets have that middle round, known commodity in Bilal Powell. I'd actually like to see them target the RB position as early as the first round of the draft, but see this regime as more likely to chase after a Steve Jackson. They really need to upgrade the position, not maintain the status quo. Either way, Greene is dispensable.

I'd like to see our running game in action once we upgrade the QB position.

Just like I like Greene more than most people on this board, you put more faith in Powell than I do. I agree they need to upgrade. IMO, that involves more than replacing Greene with a mid-round pick. A high pick or a decent FA.

Just like I like Greene more than most people on this board, you put more faith in Powell than I do. I agree they need to upgrade. IMO, that involves more than replacing Greene with a mid-round pick. A high pick or a decent FA.

If Powell was the impending FA, and Greene was under contract, I'd just reverse the names. I do think Powell shows more promise as a complete back, but I don't have faith in either one as a primary back. They both look like committee members to me. The difference is that I've seen Greene in the lead role for a couple years now, and I'm not satisfied. He's a free agent, so I'll happily let him walk in hopes of filling his spot with an upgrade.

Archived