Jets Playoff Scenarios Mini-Update #1

JetNation

Thanks to the Bengals win over the Eagles, the Jets cannot make the playoffs at 8-8 for another Bengals win would give them 9 wins and a Steelers win versus the Bengals in week 16 would eliminate the Jets since the Steelers would win the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Bengals and the Jets at 8-8.

So with that in mind the Jets can still win out and get in if either the Colts lose 3 in a row or the Steelers lose the next 2 or 3 games in a row, and the Bengals beat the Steelers and lose to the Ravens in week 17.

I bet Philly but I'm not even mad cause playoffs mean another year of Tanny

You'll probably get that regardless if the Jets make the playoffs or not. Your Jets team/organization seems confused. You sign Tim Tebow for some serious money, but won't run an offensive scheme where he has a chance to do what he does best. What was the point?

You'll probably get that regardless if the Jets make the playoffs or not. Your Jets team/organization seems confused. You sign Tim Tebow for some serious money, but won't run an offensive scheme where he has a chance to do what he does best. What was the point?

Sell newspapers/PSL's

and if the Ravens lose out

Got me there but the Colts and Ravens have to lose out otherwise it doesn't happen since the Ravens have the tiebreaker over the Jets in conference record. Either way the Colts have to lose 3 straight or else the Jets don't get the 6th seed since they get KO'd by both Pittsburgh and Baltimore in tiebreakers. Ravens don't even factor into the Jets chances since we can't beat them in any given scenario.

Colts, and Steelers wins pretty much eliminates us, The Colts win would put us out of reach, and a Steelers win decimates our chances to slim to none, even if Bengals beat the Steelers the following week, both would have to lose week 17, Cincy plays Ravens, and Pitt plays Cleveland, I don't see Pitt losing to the Browns at home in a do, or die situation. Also 1 loss by the Jets eliminates us now.

TBH our best chance at getting in is the Colts losing their last 3 games, in any 3-4 way tiebreaking scenario involving the Jets, Colts, Steelers, and Bengals, for the final 2 spots the Jets would be the 1st team to get in, and be the 5 seed, all H2H tiebreakers get thrown out unless 1 team has swept all teams tied, in this case nobody has, then it goes to Confrence record, in any scenario in which these 3-4 teams end tied at 9-7, for the final 2 spots the Jets would have a 7-5 Confrence record, and the best any of the other 3 teams could have is 6-6, Steelers already have 6 Confrence losses, Cincy has 5, and both games remaining are AFC games so 1 lose which is required in this scenario gives them 6 AFC losses, and Indy has 3 AFC loses, and all 3 games remaining are against the AFC, and in this scenario they would have to lose all 3 giving them a 6-6 AFC record.

Unfortunately the Colts have the Chiefs on their schedule in week 16 which is a win, and in scenario, every game they play is a win, and in scenario, but the other 2 are against Houston who will probably have to win out to get the #1 seed, and even with a loss week 16 against whomever they play, then they would be fighting for the #2 seed to insure a 1st round bye week 17.

To my knowledge their is no scenario in which the Jets can win a tiebreaker with the Ravens involved for 1 spot, they would be the 6 seed I believe thou in a 3+ team tiebreaker involving the Ravens for the final 2 spots.

A lot of sh*t needs to happen it can be as simple as the Bengals beating Pitt next week, and losing to Balt, and Jets winning out, or as complicated as 5 teams tied at 9-7, 3 from same division with 1 winning the division, and 2 going H2H in tiebreakers to have the right to get involved with the other 2 teams to break the ties for the final 2 spots. In that last scenario if Balt loses tiebreaker with Pitt for division, Baltimore is the 5 seed Jets are the 6 seed, if Balt wins division Jets are the 5 seed, and then I don't know after that to much work to figure out common opponent winning % for the final spot for 2 teams I don't give a sh*t about.

After explaining all that, In the crazy case the Jets do win out I can't see them getting in, if Pitt loses this week, I see them beating both Cincy, and Cle, and see Cincy also losing to Balt, and Colts beating the Chiefs, all that eliminates the Jets no matter what they do.

Also if Cincy wins out, Balt loses out, and Indy wins 1 game we are eliminated regardless of what the Steelers do because we can't beat either Pitt, or Balt in a 2 way tiebreaker scenario.

ive said this before if the Jets win out, go 9-7, in this year without Revis, that's a good effort and I'm happy with that. Would I rather they go 13-3 and win the super bowl, yes. But 9-7 would be a great outcome, considering the adversity. Whether that's good enough for the playoffs or not.

ive said this before if the Jets win out, go 9-7, in this year without Revis, that's a good effort and I'm happy with that. Would I rather they go 13-3 and win the super bowl, yes. But 9-7 would be a great outcome, considering the adversity. Whether that's good enough for the playoffs or not.

Mediocrity-The opiate for the Jet masses.

Colts, and Steelers wins pretty much eliminates us, The Colts win would put us out of reach, and a Steelers win decimates our chances to slim to none, even if Bengals beat the Steelers the following week, both would have to lose week 17, Cincy plays Ravens, and Pitt plays Cleveland, I don't see Pitt losing to the Browns at home in a do, or die situation. Also 1 loss by the Jets eliminates us now.

TBH our best chance at getting in is the Colts losing their last 3 games, in any 3-4 way tiebreaking scenario involving the Jets, Colts, Steelers, and Bengals, for the final 2 spots the Jets would be the 1st team to get in, and be the 5 seed, all H2H tiebreakers get thrown out unless 1 team has swept all teams tied, in this case nobody has, then it goes to Confrence record, in any scenario in which these 3-4 teams end tied at 9-7, for the final 2 spots the Jets would have a 7-5 Confrence record, and the best any of the other 3 teams could have is 6-6, Steelers already have 6 Confrence losses, Cincy has 5, and both games remaining are AFC games so 1 lose which is required in this scenario gives them 6 AFC losses, and Indy has 3 AFC loses, and all 3 games remaining are against the AFC, and in this scenario they would have to lose all 3 giving them a 6-6 AFC record.

Unfortunately the Colts have the Chiefs on their schedule in week 16 which is a win, and in scenario, every game they play is a win, and in scenario, but the other 2 are against Houston who will probably have to win out to get the #1 seed, and even with a loss week 16 against whomever they play, then they would be fighting for the #2 seed to insure a 1st round bye week 17.

To my knowledge their is no scenario in which the Jets can win a tiebreaker with the Ravens involved for 1 spot, they would be the 6 seed I believe thou in a 3+ team tiebreaker involving the Ravens for the final 2 spots.

A lot of sh*t needs to happen it can be as simple as the Bengals beating Pitt next week, and losing to Balt, and Jets winning out, or as complicated as 5 teams tied at 9-7, 3 from same division with 1 winning the division, and 2 going H2H in tiebreakers to have the right to get involved with the other 2 teams to break the ties for the final 2 spots. In that last scenario if Balt loses tiebreaker with Pitt for division, Baltimore is the 5 seed Jets are the 6 seed, if Balt wins division Jets are the 5 seed, and then I don't know after that to much work to figure out common opponent winning % for the final spot for 2 teams I don't give a sh*t about.

After explaining all that, In the crazy case the Jets do win out I can't see them getting in, if Pitt loses this week, I see them beating both Cincy, and Cle, and see Cincy also losing to Balt, and Colts beating the Chiefs, all that eliminates the Jets no matter what they do.

Also if Cincy wins out, Balt loses out, and Indy wins 1 game we are eliminated regardless of what the Steelers do because we can't beat either Pitt, or Balt in a 2 way tiebreaker scenario.

Colts and Steelers both have head to head tiebreaker. And the Colts are not going to lose out(Ravens might but still ahrd to see it). Basically have to hope the Steelers lose out and the Bengals and Jets tie at 9-7. Not plausible.

This team is at best mediocre. They beat the poorer teams in the league, and lose to the better teams in the league.

That is the definition of mediocre. And, it is being kind, but this is a watered down year in the league.

i'd take a 5 game winning streak to get to 9-7 every year. These days, that's a more reliable SB recipe than going 13-3 and getting the bye.

i'd take a 5 game winning streak to get to 9-7 every year. These days, that's a more reliable SB recipe than going 13-3 and getting the bye.

Unfortunately for the Jets, you need to make the playoffs in order to win the Super Bowl.

A further downer for them would be, if they were even to make the playoffs, they would be tasked with beating a team that is actually good. That has been a tall order for them over the past 2 years.

The Titans OL has been doing well in run-blocking lately. Plus we have Sanchez.

How so? Chris Johnson hasn't gotten above 100 for a month. last year he was 19 for 44. the week before 13 for 51. and prior to that 21 for 80. they are 23rd in rushing on the year. (Jets are 12th)

How so? Chris Johnson hasn't gotten above 100 for a month. last year he was 19 for 44. the week before 13 for 51. and prior to that 21 for 80. they are 23rd in rushing on the year. (Jets are 12th)

Over the last 6 weeks or so Chris Johnson is 3rd in the league in yards BEFORE contact.

The O-line is doing its job. Maybe CJ1K isn't. Who knows. But you just KNOW he'll go off on us just because.

Colts and Steelers both have head to head tiebreaker. And the Colts are not going to lose out(Ravens might but still ahrd to see it). Basically have to hope the Steelers lose out and the Bengals and Jets tie at 9-7. Not plausible.

When more than 2 teams are tied for a WC playoff birth, H2H tiebreakers are dismissed as the 1st tiebreaker UNLESS 1 team has beaten EVERY team involved, so in a 3 way tie for the last WC spot between the Steelers, Jets, and Colts, the H2H tiebreaker does not apply because the Colt did not play the Steelers, it would apply if the Jets beat the Steelers thou, because the Jets would have played both teams, and beaten both teams, but because neither the Colts, or Steelers has beaten both teams this step gets bypassed, and they move on to tiebreaker scenario #2 which is AFC record, Jets would be 7-5, Colts 6-6, and Steelers 6-6 in the only scenario possible with all 3 team being tied for the last spot at 9-7.

Very plausible on the tiebreaking rules.

Not plausible in the likelyness in this happening.

Over the last 6 weeks or so Chris Johnson is 3rd in the league in yards BEFORE contact.

all-pro RT David Stewart and LG Steve Hutchinson were both placed on IR two weeks ago.

CJ is historically good on MNF, that much is true. but the Titans OL has been decimated. With Leroy Harris and Eugene Amano already on IR that's 4 of their 5 starters on the injured list.

all-pro RT David Stewart and LG Steve Hutchinson were both placed on IR two weeks ago.

CJ is historically good on MNF, that much is true. but the Titans OL has been decimated. With Leroy Harris and Eugene Amano already on IR that's 4 of their 5 starters on the injured list.

Winner

When more than 2 teams are tied for a WC playoff birth, H2H tiebreakers are dismissed as the 1st tiebreaker UNLESS 1 team has beaten EVERY team involved, so in a 3 way tie for the last WC spot between the Steelers, Jets, and Colts, the H2H tiebreaker does not apply because the Colt did not play the Steelers, it would apply if the Jets beat the Steelers thou, because the Jets would have played both teams, and beaten both teams, but because neither the Colts, or Steelers has beaten both teams this step gets bypassed, and they move on to tiebreaker scenario #2 which is AFC record, Jets would be 7-5, Colts 6-6, and Steelers 6-6 in the only scenario possible with all 3 team being tied for the last spot at 9-7.

Very plausible on the tiebreaking rules.

Not plausible in the likelyness in this happening.

Let's say the colts lock a wc spot and the the Jets Steelers and Bengals are all tied at 9-7, who goes out of those 3?

We traded for the scrub Tebow. I have a feeling once they saw him up close in practice they realized just how bad a mistake they made. What exactly does he do best?

There's nothing that tebow does "best" thats good for a football team. He's a terrible QB who should have never been signed.

Let's say the colts lock a wc spot and the the Jets Steelers and Bengals are all tied at 9-7, who goes out of those 3?

i'm not in the mood to look at the schedules and figure it all out but basically what happens is that the steelers and bengals will be matched in head to head tiebreakers scnearios until a winner between them is determined. if it's the steelers they will beat us since they won th ehead to head matchup earlier this year. if its th ebengals then we go to tiebreaking procedures and at that point it will depend on who the bengals beat and lost games to.

Today was a good day for the Jets. If the Bengals beat the Steeler next year (fairly likely), and lose to the Ravens the following week (also not unreasonable) the Jets would get in at 9-7.

Ravens might be locked in at the 4 seed at that point unless they lose next week, then the Ravens, Bengals game would be for the division if the Bengals beat the Steelers next week.

Now if the Colts lose next week, and the Jets win this week, and next week, no matter what happens in the Steelers, Bengals game sh*t gets REAL interesting week 17.

I can also guarantee you if some how that Ravens Bengals game week 17 is for the division it would be the flex NBC game, only way that doesn't happen is if somehow the Skins, Boys game is for the division.

Ravens might be locked in at the 4 seed at that point unless they lose next week, then the Ravens, Bengals game would be for the division if the Bengals beat the Steelers next week.

Now if the Colts lose next week, and the Jets win this week, and next week, no matter what happens in the Steelers, Bengals game sh*t gets REAL interesting week 17.

I can also guarantee you if some how that Ravens Bengals game week 17 is for the division it would be the flex NBC game, only way that doesn't happen is if somehow the Skins, Boys game is for the division.

The Ravens are falling like the 2008 stock market. The Colts slipped this week, but I expect them to regain their form. The Steelers go against my Bengals next week, and I have no illusions of that not being a tough game.

All your Jets can do is keep playing, and hope another team trips up.

The Ravens are falling like the 2008 stock market. The Colts slipped this week, but I expect them to regain their form. The Steelers go against my Bengals next week, and I have no illusions of that not being a tough game.

All your Jets can do is keep playing, and hope another team trips up.

Yeah we are done doing the tripping(buttfumbling) for this season.........not!

Archived