So what's the verdict on Austin Howard?

GhostOfGlennFoley

He has his not so good moments, but is not an automatic turnstile like Hunter. No idea about his salary, but good depth player if we get a legit RT.

If the Jets draft a RT high or sign one for big money in free agency it would be a huge mistake. This team needs playmakers. The best RT in football wouldn't make this a good team.

O-line is not a problem now and it never was. We've all been spoiled. It's like watching Kyle Wilson give up a touchdown and saying he's a bust because of that, when it's really just a matter of Darelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie being all-world.

On winning teams, Austin Howard is the kind of guy you have - the kind that wasn't drafted high and isn't paid much and yet quietly does his job. I think the Jets will look to upgrade LG or RT in the draft, but compared with QB, WR, RB, TE and OLB it isn't really a necessity.

O-line is not a problem now and it never was. We've all been spoiled. It's like watching Kyle Wilson give up a touchdown and saying he's a bust because of that, when it's really just a matter of Darelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie being all-world.

On winning teams, Austin Howard is the kind of guy you have - the kind that wasn't drafted high and isn't paid much and yet quietly does his job. I think the Jets will look to upgrade LG or RT in the draft, but compared with QB, WR, RB, TE and OLB it isn't really a necessity.

Agreed. I just watched the Giants O get crushed largely because they can't block at RT.

Without taking the penalties into account I have the Jets pass protection rankings right now at 8th in the NFL. Its primarily on the strength of Ferguson who has been terrific this year. He ranks 5th in the NFL which is pretty great considering who is his QB. Unfortunately Bricks career progression is up a year down a year which is a trend he needs to break. Howard ranks 58th out of 72 players and is overwhelmed at the position which is why the Jets will look to move away from him.

In terms of rushing yardage I break the teams down into yards gained before contact per attempt. The Jets are essentially average in that category allowing 1.77 YPA before the runner is contacted. The league average is 1.73. Runners do a play a role in that as well but its a pretty solid judge. Greene is around 1.68 YPA while Powell ranks 7th at 2.24 YPA. I dont think the line miraculously blocks better for Powell. I think the primary difference is that Greene is a stutterstep runner that doesnt go for the hole if it isnt gigantic whereas Powell does.

I think if you put a better runner and QB on the team you could arguably state that the Jets offensive line would grade out top 6 or 7 in the NFL and that is with a deficiency at RT in the passing game.

Archived