Colin Kaepernick is NOT about that life

Blackout

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how some people can announce Kaepernick sucks but that we still need more time to evaluate Geno Smith. Colin Kaepernick made it to more Super Bowls in his first year starting than Geno will his entire career, unless it is as a backup QB and kick holder.

Funny how some people can announce Kaepernick sucks but that we still need more time to evaluate Geno Smith. Colin Kaepernick made it to more Super Bowls in his first year starting than Geno will his entire career, unless it is as a backup QB and kick holder.

people think kaep sucks because that's a fact.  He's a one read qb, he's not accurate and puts zero touch on his throws.  All these one read qb's initially have success based on their athleticism (see Tebow, VY, RG3) once defenses figure them out its over.

people think kaep sucks because that's a fact.  He's a one read qb, he's not accurate and puts zero touch on his throws.  All these one read qb's initially have success based on their athleticism (see Tebow, VY, RG3) once defenses figure them out its over.

i think they both blow but kaeps ceiling is higher than geno because apparently that argument needs no evidence and can be tossed out there whenever one wants to score some cheap and easy internet quarterback debate points.

i think they both blow but kaeps ceiling is higher than geno because apparently that argument needs no evidence and can be tossed out there whenever one wants to score some cheap and easy internet quarterback debate points.

without his legs Kaepernick is in the cfl

Trading picks of any kind for Kaepernick would come with a cap number of $15.3M this season, $16.8M next season, then over $19M for the final 4 years.  Only when he is cut would he be worth acquiring.  And that is unlikely to happen anytime soon given teams' propensity to honor sunken costs and hope QB's figure it out.  Only when a better option comes along will the Niners get rid of Kaep, and only a truly stupid organization would acquire him by trade.

Trading picks of any kind for Kaepernick would come with a cap number of $15.3M this season, $16.8M next season, then over $19M for the final 4 years.  Only when he is cut would he be worth acquiring.  And that is unlikely to happen given teams' propensity to honor sunken costs and hope QB's figure it out. 

not right

his amortized signing bonus amount (some $2.5M/yr) can only get charged to San Fran. They paid him the money, so it comes off their cap whether he's kept, traded, cut, or kidnapped by aliens. 

So what would the cap number look like for a team who traded for him?

Presumably you're looking on Jason's (awesome) website. Just add up all the columns for that player's row except the amortized signing bonus field (or looked at from the opposite direction, start with his current team's scheduled cap # and subtract the amortized sign bonus field). So in is case, just subtract that (just under $2.5M think it was) from the numbers you posted. 

(If we acquired him) it doesn't count on our cap because we didn't pay it. It's easier to understand why than to just memorize it: only $ that the Jets pay a player counts against the Jets salary cap. 

The only way $ in that column would count against a new team is if it's new amortized bonus $ paid in the middle of the contract (i.e. an option bonus) and he scheduled payment would be made after the transaction. In that case the new team pays it so it comes off he new team's cap instead of he former team's cap. 

you already saw Kaep's ceiling he will be a backup somewhere in 3 years

Trading picks of any kind for Kaepernick would come with a cap number of $15.3M this season, $16.8M next season, then over $19M for the final 4 years.  Only when he is cut would he be worth acquiring.  And that is unlikely to happen anytime soon given teams' propensity to honor sunken costs and hope QB's figure it out.  Only when a better option comes along will the Niners get rid of Kaep, and only a truly stupid organization would acquire him by trade.

Have the Jets proven to be anything BUT a truly stupid organization?

Have the Jets proven to be anything BUT a truly stupid organization?

Actually they havent, other than to people who take pride in saying it over and over again.  What move has Macc made that makes you think hes stupid? 

whatever you say

I predicted 6 months ago Kaep could be had for a 5th round pick by November guess that is coming true

I don't think your prediction will come true. his contract is a major deterrent to a trade. it's more likely he can be had for a waiver claim or FA contract after he is cut imho.

I'd give it a shot for a 5th but that contract is the problem. he's more likely to be cut than traded.

I think he is terrible. There was a short window where the run first type QB like Kap or RGIII was successful, but defenses have figured them out and as complete QBs they are terrible. Look at GB. First couple times they played Kapernick they had no idea how to defend him or stop him from running, but this weekend they completely shut him down. Plus I do not think he fits our offense

I agree with Jimmy Johnson. Bradshaw asked Jimmy Johnson how he would coach up Kapernick. His response:

"I would find a new QB"

Archived