Possible Jets 2013 targets of FreeAgent or trade QBs

SouthernJet

For those who keep up with it more than me.

Please start mentioning QBs we could either 1) get via Free Agency or 2) trade for.

Trade targets aka, Flynn in Seattle if Wilson's the guy. Cousins in Washington etc etc.(apologize if this is a repeat thread)

20612_4665485489124_766242622_n.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I would deactivate Sanchez for the entire season. The money is spent either way, and maybe you'd get him to take a paycut in order to make himself tradeable.

sounds reasonable to me.

EDIT: lest there be any confusion it sounds batsh-t crazy.

If this season has proved anything, its that a solid back up is pretty valuable to the Redskins since RGIII's playing style can lead to injuries. I agree with Stonehands, Cousins isnt going any where.

I think he's going somewhere, but not this year. They will use him and then trade him the year before his contract is up for more picks. He'll probably be moved around the draft in 2015.

If this season has proved anything, its that a solid back up is pretty valuable to the Redskins since RGIII's playing style can lead to injuries. I agree with Stonehands, Cousins isnt going any where.

Agree for the most part, but it probably depends on the team's overall opinion of Cousins regarding how much of this is him as a player vs what they think is simply the team's doing, combined with what kind of haul they could get in return. I think there could be a possibility that the Redskins would be happy to play the role of the Favre-era Packers of bringing in backup QBs, have them impress some people in limited opportunities, and then sell high and repeat.

If there's a good enough offer put on the table, I think Shannan is impressed with himself enough that he'd be happy to take it and be convinced he could do the same thing all over again. That said, I doubt any team will be willing to offer enough to make it happen this coming year.

I'll throw a name out there if you're willing to take a swing and miss - David Carr. The Giants like him and he's looked pretty good in most preseason outings. Even when he was shellshocked over in Houston his numbers were similar to Sanchez. He will come cheap. OTOH, he was throwing to Andre Johnson and has never been particularly good.

I'll throw a name out there if you're willing to take a swing and miss - David Carr. The Giants like him and he's looked pretty good in most preseason outings. Even when he was shellshocked over in Houston his numbers were similar to Sanchez. He will come cheap. OTOH, he was throwing to Andre Johnson and has never been particularly good.

please god no.

At the beginning of the year I was really happy that Barwin would be available, but now I'm not so sure. I think someone is going to overpay him based on his rep and conventional numbers but he's been a really up-and-down guy and probably not deserving of some of the #'s I've seen getting floated around on his worth.

I don't think there are any QBs that the Jets are going to bring in from at the top of what's available. They're financially committed to both Sanchez and Tebow and I think they'll draft someone within the first 3 rounds. They'll convince themselves with the way that the season finished that the TOs can be reigned in and the Jets can rely solely on the defense and running games again.

As for who they'll target, I'd like to see the Jets go after a couple guys specifically. Hartline checks out as above average and will be affordable. Ditto for Martellius Bennet, particularly since I think they'll let Keller walk. If Landry's agent really thinks he can command as big a deal as he's hinting then I say let him walk and sign William Moore, he's better and actually worth that type of money. And if Vollmer or Levitre actually hit the market I think the Jets should jump all over one of them.

Yes to all of this. William Moore is kind of a beast.

Ya like I said, Bit may know more. He is being told best case is mid to late 1st right now if Bowl/combine goes well.

I'm just spewing what I've read, but I hear Nevis a head case on the field, and would need VERY GOOD coaching, and a year, or two on the bench, but I'm sure other scouts have different opinions.

At this rate Geno Smith might be on the board when the Jets draft along with Barkley, they are dropping like rocks.

Isn't Phillip Rivers going to be a free agent? The Chargers are going to clean house with the coaching staff, it is conceivable he could end up with a new team.

It'd be nice if we did have to keep Rex, to hire Norv Turner and sign Rivers. Get a new GM, let him restructure our scouting department, go into the draft with the plan to draft a game-breaking, all-purpose RB for Norv's system, draft pass rush, offensive line, wide receivers and a QB prospect. This team CAN be turned around in a year. It just takes a good football mind to do it.

Not the bean counting bean counter.

Isn't Phillip Rivers going to be a free agent? The Chargers are going to clean house with the coaching staff, it is conceivable he could end up with a new team.

It'd be nice if we did have to keep Rex, to hire Norv Turner and sign Rivers. Get a new GM, let him restructure our scouting department, go into the draft with the plan to draft a game-breaking, all-purpose RB for Norv's system, draft pass rush, offensive line, wide receivers and a QB prospect. This team CAN be turned around in a year. It just takes a good football mind to do it.

I would only go for that if we also drafted a mid round QB we thought could be QB of future to sit behind Rivers for a few years while we gut this team. But if Rivers a FA I could see him coming back South to Tenn. maybe.

Because as long as RG III is there and healthy he won't play. They probably drafted him as an insurance policy they knew they could trade to a team needing a QB these few games RG III got hurt we're like a blessing to the skins if they play the cards right.

So RG III is not going to get hurt over the next 3 years? Put yourself in their shoes, you can get a draft pick any time for him. Why would you trade him before you have to and leave yourself short behind a QB that figures to take a lot of hits? Teams don't make deals to suit the Jets, they do it in their own best interests and the Skins have a cheap QB who looks like he can play backing up a QB that runs and takes hits.

So we want to replace the #1 guy in turnovers over the last 2 seasons with the #2 guy. Makes no sense. The Jets will do it.

Rivers is battling Sanchez for the most turnovers in the last 2 seasons. I'll pass.

I agree that this could be a quick fix, its just not going to be easy because ultimately is comes down to finding a QB.

How can you pay Mark Sanchez 8 plus million, plug all of the holes on the team, possibly retain Tebow for whatever his salary is, and go outand sign or trade for another QB? Doesn't seem like it will work financially or trade wise. The Jets need to keep all of their draft picks so that they can bring ina real talent evaluator and draft really talented guys.

So we want to replace the #1 guy in turnovers over the last 2 seasons with the #2 guy. Makes no sense. The Jets will do it.

Rivers is battling Sanchez for the most turnovers in the last 2 seasons. I'll pass.

I agree that this could be a quick fix, its just not going to be easy because ultimately is comes down to finding a QB.

I'm not going to lie. I didn't realize it was that bad with Rivers. LOL

For the price he'll command, you guys are right, not worth it.

Rivers is under contract to San Diego. Most likely he will be available. Most likely he will cost 2 first rounders plus a contract extension. If a team doesnt think he is broke they will make the move and Im sure if Tannenbaum is here and they call him on the phone he would bite. The Jets would get creative with the deals to make it work in 2013 financially and defer it all to 2014 and 2015 when the team cap is cleared out. But I dont think the Jets are in the spot to swing for the fences and miss. This isnt a good team overall. Sanchez is going to keep them from reaching the playoffs against a ridiculously easy schedule, but once the schedule normalizes next year, and most likely it will, a mediocre QB doesnt make them a 10 or 11 win team. That ship looks like it sailed.

I think the Jets need to take 2013 for whatever it is and just clean the books of some of these bad players. If they take a 1 year time out they could go wild in w014 in free agency if they wanted to.

As far as draft, I do know that the Jets have scouted Mike Glennon from NC State THREE times. Some folks I know in area tell me he is being told he is high on Jets radar. Smart kid, just got his Masters last week.

Bit would know more than me on this I suspect. I think he will go anywhere late round 1 to early round 3. Combines will help or hurt.

http://espn.go.com/c...67/mike-glennon

Early years

Glennon attended Westfield High School in Fairfax County, Virginia. As senior, he completed 171 of 265 passes for 2,557 yards and 32touchdowns. He was the Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year and was a Parade All-American.[1]

Glennon was considered the third best quarterback recruit in the nation by Rivals.com in 2008,[2] rated just ahead of future No. 1 draft pick,Andrew Luck.

College career

In 2008, Glennon was redshirted. In 2009 and 2010, Glennon was the backup to Russell Wilson. During that time he completed 33 of 52 passes for 326 yards with a touchdown and twointerceptions. As a junior in 2011, he took over as the starter.[3] For the season he completed 262 of 420 passes for 2,790 yards with 28 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Personal

Glennon's brother, Sean Glennon, was a quarterback for the Virginia Tech Hokies from 2004 to 2008.[4][5]

This is good to hear, I like Glennon a lot. Think the Jets would have made the playoffs this year with him under center. Not perfect, but a really good fit for what they need. Occasionally erratic but throws ropes, capable of pushing the ball downfield to keep guys out of the box, generally handles pressure fairly well. Could use a little more touch in certain situations, but got no help from his supporting cast. Clearly has the ability to get the ball in tight windows and put the ball on guys in stride though. He's generally pretty impressive to watch.

LOL.

Seriously Bit, I want your opinion here on thread question. Thanks :)

seriously... it's not great. the draft at QB is kinda weak. Glennon looking like a rd2-3 guy along with Ryan Nassib and Landry Jones (Tyler Bray too). Glennon will be at the senior bowl. there's no real reason to believe any of these guys are better than Sanchez, unless it's in the abstract "anyone is better" sort of thinking. So let's think it through the Jets draft Glennon, that doesn't mean he starts. In fact Sanchez still makes 10 mil next year, no matter what team he's on. They could sign an Alex Smith or Mike Vick but with similar limitations. All in all I don't know how they make a move at QB this year. Even with how bad Mark has been. Money talks and BS walks you can't have 10+% of your cap tied up with a guy on the bench.

(as for Rivers I think he's been hiding an injury or something. his arm is shot. dude is done).

by the way the extension wasn't nearly as bad as the draft pick. the original sin was the draft pick. I've seen posters say that the move was to let Sanchez play out his string, if that happens they have no Pouha, no landry, no free agents or cap room in any way. The decision to draft him at 5 was the killer.

seriously... it's not great. the draft at QB is kinda weak. Glennon looking like a rd2-3 guy along with Ryan Nassib and Landry Jones (Tyler Bray too). Glennon will be at the senior bowl. there's no real reason to believe any of these guys are better than Sanchez, unless it's in the abstract "anyone is better" sort of thinking. So let's think it through the Jets draft Glennon, that doesn't mean he starts. In fact Sanchez still makes 10 mil next year, no matter what team he's on. They could sign an Alex Smith or Mike Vick but with similar limitations. All in all I don't know how they make a move at QB this year. Even with how bad Mark has been. Money talks and BS walks you can't have 10+% of your cap tied up with a guy on the bench.

(as for Rivers I think he's been hiding an injury or something. his arm is shot. dude is done).

by the way the extension wasn't nearly as bad as the draft pick. the original sin was the draft pick. I've seen posters say that the move was to let Sanchez play out his string, if that happens they have no Pouha, no landry, no free agents or cap room in any way. The decision to draft him at 5 was the killer.

who cares cut Pouha mon , Landry is gone...team is 4 yrs away, no way can sanchez be on team next yr

who cares cut Pouha mon , Landry is gone...team is 4 yrs away, no way can sanchez be on team next yr

I agree with Rich on this one Bit.

Why cant they just eat the cap. If he plays , we lose. He is horrible. Fans know going into game we will lose. Defense knows going into game they have to literally pitch a shutout. So money lost regardless. Why not 'try' a QB in draft (Glennon?) and let McElroy/Glennon duke it out?

I agree with Rich on this one Bit.

Why cant they just eat the cap.

its not just cap it's actual money. meaning let's say the Jets cut Sanchez and he goes to Oakland to hold a clip board. Sanchez collects 2 salaries. 10 mil from the Jets and whatever the Raiders are paying him. There's no offset. We can talk about good money after bad, but bottom line if you are paying Mark Sanchez something like 750k per game, he's gonna have to earn it.

and talk about money the Jets sell out every game. They have shared guarutneed tv revenues. Merch is split. the NFL is a communism and teams that stink out loud still make money. What's at stake? Parking passes? Losing doesn't really hurt Woody. Paying Mark's check to play for another team, that hurts.

Archived