Jets' Sanchez could have career similar to Giants backup Carr

Freemanm

I thought this was an interesting article, but seriously, I think Sanchez's entire NFL career is over after this season, unless, of course, Rex stays and decides to make him the starter, or Rex gets fired, hired by another team and recruits Sanchez (that would be a welcome scenario). In any event, David Carr has some advice for Sanchez.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/sanchez_career_could_lHH37GNPnbZaStrfn8GpnN

im thinking more like Kerry Collins or Trent Dilfer. Maybe Rich gannon. He's a disaster for the Jets but hangs around the league and sometime around the time he starts getting his first gray hairs, actually learns how to play the position.

You honestly think Dilfer learned how to play the position beyond simply handing the ball off to the RB and not turnin the ball over?

im thinking more like Kerry Collins or Trent Dilfer. Maybe Rich gannon. He's a disaster for the Jets but hangs around the league and sometime around the time he starts getting his first gray hairs, actually learns how to play the position.

I don't think Sanchez enjoys professional football. At some point it stopped being fun for him and he doesn't have the mental makeup to get through it. I think he'll be much happier on reality TV or discussing USC vs Stanford than he is as a professional football player.

I think the Gannon route is a possibility, but I do wonder about Lionel's point. If Sanchez doesn't love football, or the love has been beaten out of him, then he won't pursue it.

Why?

If Sanchez only stared down his WRs, couldn't get through his progressions, and was careless with the football, maybe all those things in time could be minimized.

He's also wildly inaccurate.

He literally does nothing well.

Decent athlete who's a product of a dominant college system. Nothing more.

If the Jets put him on waivers, and he still wants to play, then he'll have to take a massive cut. However, if he decides to just take the money and run (God knows he can't do that with the football) then let's hope he is a backup. Either way, it's going to take a couple of seasons to turn this thing around.

Archived