Mark Sanchez...what might have been

sirlancemehlot

Here's what might have been:

2008 trade up to #2: give St. Louis the compensation they wanted (our 1st for the following season), which we refused.

• Draft Matt Ryan in 2008.

• Do not draft Vernon Gholston in 2008.

• Do not draft Mark Sanchez in 2009.

• Keep our 2nd round pick for 2009 because we didn't blow it trading up for Sanchez. Use that pick to draft LeShon McCoy.

• Do not trade our 3rd+4th+7th(?) to move up to 3(1) to draft Shonn Greene in 2009.
    • Instead draft Mike Wallace in 2009 round 3.
    • Trade 2009 round 4 pick for 2010 round 3 pick and use that pick to draft Jimmy Graham.

[*]Do not trade our 2010 3rd and 5th rounders for Braylon Edwards.

• Instead draft Eric Decker in 2010 round 3.

Save a boatload of cap room with only one top 5-6 pick instead of two. Offense skill position problems solved for the next 5-10 years.

If you want to play "what might have been" then this is a better way to play it. Far better than giving ourselves a do-over and re-drafting Mark Sanchez, anyway.

Seriously gonna puke.

2008 trade up to #2: give St. Louis the compensation they wanted (our 1st for the following season), which we refused.

• Keep our 2nd round pick for 2009 because we didn't blow it trading up for Sanchez. Use that pick to draft LeShon McCoy.

• Do not trade our 3rd+4th+7th(?) to move up to 3(1) to draft Shonn Greene in 2009.
    • Trade 2009 round 4 pick for 2010 round 3 pick and use that pick to draft Jimmy Graham.

Save a boatload of cap room with only one top 5-6 pick instead of two. Offense skill position problems solved for the next 5-10 years.

If you want to play "what might have been" then this is a better way to play it. Far better than giving ourselves a do-over and re-drafting Mark Sanchez, anyway.

The OP is about the handling of Sanchez and the mishandling of the offense by the FO. We can go back to Gholston, but then why not go back to Dan Marino VS. Ken O'brien? We now have the same front office that drafted Sanchez. So we're talking about the poor job they've done--Sanchez being one of several missteps along the way. He was better his rookie year than he is today. How is that not true considering Greg McElroy is taking over his job this season, and he's been less than a game away fom the SB in his first two seasons?

And Trent Dilfer has more superbowl wins than Dan Marino. La-dee-freaking-da.

Just goes to show how good those teams were to get that far with a stiff like Sanchez. He cost us 2 superbowls.

That's the part that kills... you go all in for the short term and give the keys to the kingdom to a guy that had 1 season of starting in college? Just mindboggling.

That's the part that kills... you go all in for the short term and give the keys to the kingdom to a guy that had 1 season of starting in college? Just mindboggling.

Right on the money. no sideline time. No clipboard time. No mentorship. Just...hey Mark, you're awfully handsome. Wanna be Quarterback?

I remember this Carroll fellow you speak of. Got the Ax after one season here and we all made fun of him. Hah! I'll bet he wishes he had a defense as good as ours, and a young franchise quarterback to lead his crappy team...

To be fair that version of Carrol definitely needed more seasoning. I can vividly recall him in '91, '92, or '93 during a Sunday night game, the D making a big play vs. Marino and he proceeded to flash the choke signal to Marino. I believe the Dolphins came back to win that game, but that gesture really showed what he was at the time - a defensive wunderkind who was lacking woefully in maturity. I'm sure that image wasn't lost on Marino on that fateful day in the Meadowlands in 1994 in the game that effectively ended Carrol's tenure here. Then he proceeded to take over a Parcells built team just to be fired after 3 mediocre seasons up north. He's a different coach now and his maturity compared to those days is like night and day.

His corruption @ USC notwithstanding, of course :animal0029:

The OP is about the handling of Sanchez and the mishandling of the offense by the FO. We can go back to Gholston, but then why not go back to Dan Marino VS. Ken O'brien? We now have the same front office that drafted Sanchez. So we're talking about the poor job they've done--Sanchez being one of several missteps along the way. He was better his rookie year than he is today. How is that not true considering Greg McElroy is taking over his job this season, and he's been less than a game away fom the SB in his first two seasons?

Sanchez rookie season he lost a football game despite his RBs putting up over 300 yards on the ground. Even with all that pressure taken off the passing game, he still misfired on 2/3 of his passes and threw 5 picks. That has to be some kind of record for incompetence.

15 TDs passing+rushing. 20 INTs. 10 fumbles. This doesn't even count all the infamous dropped interceptions. I think he had 3 in the Tennessee game alone. Not passes that a defender got a finger on. Passes that bounced off numbers or facemasks or two hands.

He was a horrible, horrible QB as a rookie. Frankly he IS better now. The difference is the team around him hid it better because of the league's #1 offensive line, #1 rushing offense, #1 special teams unit, and a better (and healthier) group of receivers, and he just flat-out got lucky. This year he's had few such lucky breaks (the dozen-plus aforementioned dropped perfect interceptions). But getting luckier doesn't mean he was any better back then.

Don't kid yourself. He sucked worse his rookie season even than this sucky season.

The only "what might have been" worth looking at is "what might have been" if he never took the field for the Jets.

To be fair that version of Carrol definitely needed more seasoning. I can vividly recall him in '91, '92, or '93 during a Sunday night game, the D making a big play vs. Marino and he proceeded to flash the choke signal to Marino. I believe the Dolphins came back to win that game, but that gesture really showed what he was at the time - a defensive wunderkind who was lacking woefully in maturity. I'm sure that image wasn't lost on Marino on that fateful day in the Meadowlands in 1994 in the game that effectively ended Carrol's tenure here. Then he proceeded to take over a Parcells built team just to be fired after 3 mediocre seasons up north. He's a different coach now and his maturity compared to those days is like night and day.

His corruption @ USC notwithstanding, of course :animal0029:

Screw Pete Carrol. The guy was running themosr corrupt program in the NCAA in years and then bolted right before he got caught. He's the same pos he's always been.

Sanchez has regressed, but to say the lack of talent around him had no impact is a joke. Braylon F'n Edwards was the #1 WR on MNF, the 4/5 receiver on the Seahawks.

And this excuses Sanchez's 5 turnovers? All he had to do was let the running game do its thing against one of the worst defense's in the NFL and NOT turn the ball over, and we win.

My fellow Jets Fans must also never forget that even though Sanchise threw some unexplained picks, those throws may lead to serious injuries to the defenders because of his raw power. Sanchise may wisely block the trade and if we can lure Tebow back we may have a chance at the division. Then the skys the limit. Stay positive and lets make a push for Tony Sparano for head coach. Rex maybe a good players coach but his perpencity for foot perversion is troubling, more like disturbing. But these moves may prove to be difficult and may rely on maybe trading 3 first round picks for a productive quaterback like Matt Barkley.enjoy.

My fellow Jets Fans must also never forget that even though Sanchise threw some unexplained picks, those throws may lead to serious injuries to the defenders because of his raw power. Sanchise may wisely block the trade and if we can lure Tebow back we may have a chance at the division. Then the skys the limit. Stay positive and lets make a push for Tony Sparano for head coach. Rex maybe a good players coach but his perpencity for foot perversion is troubling, more like disturbing. But these moves may prove to be difficult and may rely on maybe trading 3 first round picks for a productive quaterback like Matt Barkley.enjoy.

Are you a brotha...or a cornball brotha?

• 4 weeks later...

The best game of Mark Sanchez's career?

http://www.newyorkje...8d-283119222691

ATT CMP % YDS SK/YD TD INT RTNG

25 16 64.0 194 0/0 3 0 127.3

Sanchez haters will say this performance was an anomaly. They say Sanchez was put there to be a game manager. He's regressed.

I have no proof to say different. However I'm still scratching my head on this regression we've seen the past two years. How much of this downturn is due to lack of talent around Mark? Poor all around coaching? Crappy QB coaching? Mark's loss of confidence?

I'm curious to see if Mark becomes anything other than a clipboard holder in 2013.

"Unexplained picks"? Phuck me, I've fallen and I can't get up. This should be a new, official, stat. :rl:

Sanchez haters will say this performance was an anomaly. They say Sanchez was put there to be a game manager. He's regressed.

I have no proof to say different. However I'm still scratching my head on this regression we've seen the past two years. How much of this downturn is due to lack of talent around Mark? Poor all around coaching? Crappy QB coaching? Mark's loss of confidence?

I'm curious to see if Mark becomes anything other than a clipboard holder in 2013.

ATT CMP % YDS TD INT RTNG

33 21 63.6% 304 4 0 133.1

19 23 82.6% 201 2 0 132.1

19 25 76.0% 243 2 0 132.6

10 15 66.6% 202 2 0 149.3

20 26 76.9% 241 2 0 130.4

31 44 70.5% 480 6 1 136.4

11 17 64.7% 163 4 0 135.5

Guess who QB'd these games?

Wow. The best game of his career and it happened against New England's awful secondary, with the most talented team in Jets history, and he STILL only managed to complete 64 % of his throws (all TWENTY-FIVE OF THEM) for 194 yards?

F***ing pathetic. Sanchez sucks, always sucked, and always will suck. All the coaching in the world would never have saved him.

tumblr_mbcmdl61wk1rx8lgjo1_500.gif

great post.

there is a reason he sucks, and he didn't always suck.

so to the haters. when they QB position changes, and the offense still sucks, you'll see what we have been saying. remember McElsack ? worst performance by a QB I can remember in my lifetime and that includes carter and those guys

And Trent Dilfer has more superbowl wins than Dan Marino. La-dee-freaking-da.

Just goes to show how good those teams were to get that far with a stiff like Sanchez. He cost us 2 superbowls.

If I recall correctly, the defense played like crap for the 1st half against the Steelers, and injuries cost us against the Colts.

Sanchez wasn't the primary reason we lost those two games. I'm just saying that Sanchez in 2012 was way worse than Sanchez of 2009-2010 and it's not 100% all on Sanchez.

Archived