Mark Sanchez: The Final Countdown

Maxman

The Jets need to support Mark (different from "coddling" him), so he can regain the confidence he once had. He'll never admit it in public, but you know he is hurting deep down. As is Rex. Mark wants to play. He loves the game. I do not see other QB's having camps during off-season. Mark shows initiative, and leadership, which is what the Jets need. Everyone feels better when they win - sometimes it's harder to come back up after falling a few times.

Oh.......My........God

You need help

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bitonti, on 21 December 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

courtney you know the Mark story very well. 2 questions I've been struggling with is 1) when did it all go wrong for mark and 2) how can it be fixed?

In my opinion, year three was tough, but year 4 was the official start of the downfall. Management threw not only him, but the entire team off balance. I have been saying time and time again that there is no consistancy this year. Mark had great weapons his first two years. Yes, I know a QB should be able to adjust to anything and be a game manager. The ball starts with the QB, but the QB starts with management. Coaches never let Mark throw. I feel like they had more control over Mark, and did not let him make his own decisions, which in turn, clouds his confidence - which is what we def saw this year. Not have consistant recievers - espeically experienced ones - also played a role in his lack of confidence, play reads, and poor decision making.

Basicly, management did not fully support him (que Tim Tebow), and the fans and media expected too much, too fast. Mark put the Jets back on the map his first two years. Fans saw what he could do after questioning his 16 starts at USC, and once they saw the AFC wins, they thought it could only go up from here. Fans don't allow room for error, and the New York media makes that gap even smaller.

The Jets need to support Mark (different from "coddling" him), so he can regain the confidence he once had. He'll never admit it in public, but you know he is hurting deep down. As is Rex. Mark wants to play. He loves the game. I do not see other QB's having camps during off-season. Mark shows initiative, and leadership, which is what the Jets need. Everyone feels better when they win - sometimes it's harder to come back up after falling a few times.

CourtNJ18 you are part of the demographic that Woody targeted when he drafted Sanchez and from a business standpoint it made sense. I honestly think Woody cares more about PSL sales and back page news more than winning. For him its all about selling tickets and Sanchez did help initially. Same reason he brought Tebow here and why he might go after Mike Vick. Too bad Mark couldnt handle the football part but hey all high draft picks are a crap shoot.

Also, I find it funny that Bitonti will call you to task for your continued support of Sanchez while he is the guy who talked up Gholston till the day he was cut.

bitonti, on 21 December 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

courtney you know the Mark story very well. 2 questions I've been struggling with is 1) when did it all go wrong for mark and 2) how can it be fixed?

CourtNJ18 you are part of the demographic that Woody targeted when he drafted Sanchez and from a business standpoint it made sense. I honestly think Woody cares more about PSL sales and back page news more than winning. For him its all about selling tickets and Sanchez did help initially. Same reason he brought Tebow here and why he might go after Mike Vick. Too bad Mark couldnt handle the football part but hey all high draft picks are a crap shoot.

Also, I find it funny that Bitonti will call you to task for your continued support of Sanchez while he is the guy who talked up Gholston till the day he was cut.

Woody definitely had an eye on ticket\PSL sales when they drafted Woody. Right on the heels of Brett Favre....

As I look back I am still just shocked that Rex went for it. Why a head coach with a defensive mindset would want to hand the keys to a rookie is something I just don't get. It is frustrating, especially seeing how Sanchez has regressed.

Bringing Tebow in clearly didn't help. Having the receivers they do, doesn't help. But Sanchez needs to be gone for his turnovers if nothing else. He should be a game manager and just not turn the ball over. The fact that they couldn't impress this upon him means that others are going to lose their jobs as well.

I was hopeful that the kid could do it. But now I can't think of anything he does well. There is simply nothing to build on with him.

McElroy might not be the answer. They feel Tebow isn't the answer. So ride it out with Greg the last two weeks and see what he can do. I wish McElroy was given a longer shot here, i.e. after the Cardinals game. Then we would have a better feel for what he is all about going into next year.

you have never said anything constructive. you continue to spit that stupid drivel out of your mouth. Go back to the ocean and act lik you can surf.

Alright enough out of you. We've asked you numerous times to not attack other posters. Take a week off.

I really want to see Sanchez succeed. Everyone will probably disagree, but I don't think this kid got a fair shot. We all complained that Shotty sucked as an offensive coordinator, and I wouldn't even call Sporano one. The kid is as tough as they come, never seen him lay down to not take a hit. As far as his accuracy, he didn't have this much of a problem the first 3 years so I'm thinking its more of a receiver thing than anything else. We don't know what routes they were supposed to run and to add to the fact that the receivers suck. The Jets downfall began when they gave Holmes that huge contract instead of signing Edwards who really wanted to be here. That and the fact that as much as I like Rex, he has no clue of offensive football whatsoever. They need to get someone to fix Sanchez's problem because they can't draft a qb that high and still fill the needs of this team. They allowed this team to get very old at key positions, while at the same time have no debt at all. Besides all that, I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

I really want to see Sanchez succeed. Everyone will probably disagree, but I don't think this kid got a fair shot. We all complained that Shotty sucked as an offensive coordinator, and I wouldn't even call Sporano one. The kid is as tough as they come, never seen him lay down to not take a hit. As far as his accuracy, he didn't have this much of a problem the first 3 years so I'm thinking its more of a receiver thing than anything else. We don't know what routes they were supposed to run and to add to the fact that the receivers suck. The Jets downfall began when they gave Holmes that huge contract instead of signing Edwards who really wanted to be here. That and the fact that as much as I like Rex, he has no clue of offensive football whatsoever. They need to get someone to fix Sanchez's problem because they can't draft a qb that high and still fill the needs of this team. They allowed this team to get very old at key positions, while at the same time have no debt at all. Besides all that, I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

The thing is, I hope you are right. I am just about out of faith for that being a possibility though. It would be nice if Sanchez was the answer. Just so risky to bring him back next year because if he misses, Rex will be fired.

Max, I actually think Rex should be fired. I remember the first 2 years with Sanchez, the kid would be amazing on roll outs, basically just letting him play to his strengths. The entire Jet brass should be let go for hiring guys and making Sanchez fit into their system instead of producing a system built around his strengths. If I remember correctly they once tried to do that with Farve with Schotty until Farve had enough. If they put this kid in a system built around his stregnths he will flourish, I just hope it's with this team because he's a class act. I don't understand the heat he gets at all. Last year we all blamed Shotty, then this year we get an offensive coordinator worse than Shotty if that's even possible and we blame Sanchez. Tanny and Rex are to blame for this Sporano debacle because he wasn't supposed to call the plays, Haley was until they couldn't land him because he wanted full control of the offense. I say keep Sanchez and rid ourselves of Tanny and Rex and get a legitimate head coach not a defensive coordinator and accountant and the kid will be what he was supposed to be, otherwise Sanchez will be great on another team. Sanchez isn't done, this is Tanny and Rex trying to save their jobs by throwing him and Tebow under the bus. The Jets need a no nonsense coach not a locker room buddy that can't give a straight answer on anything because he won't offend his locker room buddies. Gruden or Cower wouldn't put up with half the sh*t that goes on with this team. It's like high school drama. Been a fan since 69, haven't seen a Jet QB with the tools and potential like Sanchez my entire life, but the coaching the last 4 years hasn't been this bad since Kotite or that year of Carrol, who by the way was a locker room buddy coach. Sorry for the rant, I'm just disgusted. This team is loaded with distractions, starting with Rex's feet videos to Tebow, to that idiot Holmes, to Plaxico last year, to LT's comments, to Revis's holdout. Something is not right and it starts at the head coach, and people wonder how Sanchez hasn't progressed!? This team is a circus and its time Rex goes as does Tanny. I have a 7 year old son who is infested with this team, and I consider it child abuse for making him a Jet Fan :(

Max, I actually think Rex should be fired. I remember the first 2 years with Sanchez, the kid would be amazing on roll outs, basically just letting him play to his strengths. The entire Jet brass should be let go for hiring guys and making Sanchez fit into their system instead of producing a system built around his strengths. If I remember correctly they once tried to do that with Farve with Schotty until Farve had enough. If they put this kid in a system built around his stregnths he will flourish, I just hope it's with this team because he's a class act. I don't understand the heat he gets at all. Last year we all blamed Shotty, then this year we get an offensive coordinator worse than Shotty if that's even possible and we blame Sanchez. Tanny and Rex are to blame for this Sporano debacle because he wasn't supposed to call the plays, Haley was until they couldn't land him because he wanted full control of the offense. I say keep Sanchez and rid ourselves of Tanny and Rex and get a legitimate head coach not a defensive coordinator and accountant and the kid will be what he was supposed to be, otherwise Sanchez will be great on another team. Sanchez isn't done, this is Tanny and Rex trying to save their jobs by throwing him and Tebow under the bus. The Jets need a no nonsense coach not a locker room buddy that can't give a straight answer on anything because he won't offend his locker room buddies. Gruden or Cower wouldn't put up with half the sh*t that goes on with this team. It's like high school drama. Been a fan since 69, haven't seen a Jet QB with the tools and potential like Sanchez my entire life, but the coaching the last 4 years hasn't been this bad since Kotite or that year of Carrol, who by the way was a locker room buddy coach. Sorry for the rant, I'm just disgusted. This team is loaded with distractions, starting with Rex's feet videos to Tebow, to that idiot Holmes, to Plaxico last year, to LT's comments, to Revis's holdout. Something is not right and it starts at the head coach, and people wonder how Sanchez hasn't progressed!? This team is a circus and its time Rex goes as does Tanny. I have a 7 year old son who is infested with this team, and I consider it child abuse for making him a Jet Fan :(

I would say I agree with just about zero of this as it pertains to Sanchez.

By no means did "everyone" think Sanchez's problems stemmed from Schottenheimer. For all his faults in calling games, the 2 QBs he had a major hand in developing, and who speak highly of him, were Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. Rivers may suck right now, but he was a star QB for a while and twice the QB Sanchez ever could be. All these awful things Sanchez does, do you seriously think they aren't worked on over and over and over? The Jets even (stupidly) used the #2 QB position on an extra QB coach in Brunell. Brees still gushes about how much of a help having Brunell there was. Sanchez's most famous interaction with Brunell was wiping a freshly picked booger on him on the sideline.

He is absolutely not "as tough as they come" by any means. He feels footsteps that aren't there and doesn't sense pressure when it is. Then he panics into one of his awful turnovers. Then he mopes off the field like a cross between a little boy who just had his toy taken away by a bully. I'm not one for quoting Ray Lucas, but he put it well several weeks ago. Sanchez is or had become a "good loser" with his shoulder shrugs to reporters' questions, no matter how much a loss was so obviously his fault more than anyone else's. He has the wrong mentality for the position.

How can you possibly claim he did not have accuracy problems his first 3 seasons? He was just about the NFL's worst, which is what made his extension so idiotic. His first 3 seasons: 29th, 29th, and 28th in completion percentage. I do not accept the wishful guess that every receiver, on every awful misfire, has probably run a wrong route. When receivers are standing perfectly still, he still misfires by 3 yards, too high or too low or too much to the left or right, requiring unnecessary adjustments to catch what should be a stupidly-easy pass, if it's even catchable at all. He floats things deep passes (that get easily intercepted when a safety jumps in front of the receiver) and fires in off-target fastballs from 6 yards out. How many times have we seen Shonn Greene (with questionable receiving skills to begin with) standing still, from 5 yards away, facing Sanchez with his hands at waist or numbers-level, only to see Sanchez rifle the ball at him at the top of his head or higher? Greene isn't exactly Larry Centers catching the ball, and even if he was it's not only tough to react to and catch, but it's totally unnecessary. Sanchez just cannot consistently throw a football where he wants it to go. Maybe 10% of his throws are near-perfect passes, and that's just pathetic. Watch other QBs play - GOOD ones - and you'll see that number hover around 50%, with the rest being of the completions being close enough for any receiver to catch.

Sanchez was not "amazing" on roll-outs. He was merely not as bad because it limited the defense's options in that a safety could really only cheat over from left to right instead of from left to right or from right to left. He has no ability to see anything other than the man he wants to throw it to. The problem with these roll-outs is it makes the offense - particularly with a dumbass like Sanchez - even more predictable than it already was, since there is no need to cover half the field. He isn't accurate enough to sneak a pass in there with 2 safeties covering half the field instead of all of it.

And if you've been a Jets fan this long, you have seen other QBs with his tools. Todd was more talented than Sanchez. And he sucked also and had the same terrible field vision and was the same terrible fit for New York. In Todd's defense, which no Jets fan should ever come to, his crappy completion percentage didn't come in nearly the QB-favorable time period that Sanchez has had the opportunity to play in.

Sanchez is and was flat-out awful. So he's made some good throws. So does Brady Quinn. So did Joey Harrington. So did any number of crappy QBs. Sanchez will never be anything and never was going to have the career of a good QB. I can appreciate wanting him to be something he isn't but at some point reality must set in. We drafted a bust. Hey, it happens. Especially to the Jets.

I do agree that it is a form of child abuse to raise your kid to be a Jets fan. Of this I am equally guilty, though.

Happy holidays & new year. I would like to say things can only improve, but I sense you know better.

The thing is, I hope you are right. I am just about out of faith for that being a possibility though. It would be nice if Sanchez was the answer. Just so risky to bring him back next year because if he misses, Rex will be fired.

You ever put Sanchez and the answer in a sentence again then you better be talking to Courtney or specify the question otherwise you're getting a punch straight in the balls

I don't think the Jets could've done a worse job developing Sanchez if they tried, but at this point they need to stop trying. If they can't find a sucker trade partner willing to take on some of his irrationally guaranteed contract, they need to release him. Then have Tannenbaum calculate the total charge against the cap as his final act on the Jets' payroll.

Archived