Alex Smith or Mike Vick?

jetfan718

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

News flash (as though you didn't know this already): they aren't winning a superbowl in 2013. Too many holes (either from under-performers or 2013 team FAs) with too little cap space to fill those holes. We're rebuiling next year. Or we should be, anyway.

It's why Tannenbaum has to go. To try and save himself he'll screw our relatively clean slates for 2014 and beyond to hopefully squeak out another 7 to 8 win season instead of a 3 to 6 win season. All to be more "competitive" in 2-3 more ultimately inconsequential games? No thanks.

I've been in this camp too Sperm but it's actually not impossible if....a strong if...they can get some of these big salary guys (Harris, Holmes, Revis, Cro, Brick, Mangold) to renegotiate (not all but if you could get some) and cutting a few players like Pace, Scott, Tebow and Pouha while/if a few young guys could step up...I think they could have just enough space to resign of few guys along with Vick. If...a strong if again, they have a good draft they could potentially have, at least, a competitive team....or at least a pretty decent starting line up. But again there's a lot of ifs, I get it, but god forbid they landed on with their draft picks, a couple young guys step up and guys stayed healthy... there could be something there...possibly?

QB: Vick,

WR: Holmes, Edwards (resigned), Hill, Kerely

TE: Keller (resigned), Reuland/5th round draft pick

RB: Powell/2nd round pick, McKnight

OT: D'Brick

OG: Slauson (resigned)

OC: Mangold

OG: Ducasse/4th round pick

OT: Howard (resigned)/6th round pick

DE: Wilkerson

NT: Ellis

DE Coples, DeVito

OLB: McIntyre, 1st round pick

ILB: Harris, Davis

CB: Revis, Cro, Wilson

S: Landry (resigned), Bush/3rd round pick

Really guys it's tough in the fog of War, but its down to some of the worst QB I've ever seen consistently. You can't have your Q.B turn the ball over Five feckin time in one game and actually Win!

The games have been so hard to watch this year, it's like watching a car crash in slow motion. Mark is just Horrible, the main problem is we missed our Window, and Sanchez as gone back so fast you'd need a Delorean with a new flux capacitor to catch him. I'm down with the cheap Matt Moore option, next year is a clear out and building through the Draft. It's about getting us in a posistion to bee looking good Cap wise and roster wise for 2014.

Besides without Sanchez at the helm, the new look Jets no matter how bad will look like a Bill Walsh 49ers team of the late 80's compaired the just explosion of Sh@t we've seen in 2012.

I think Rex is safe for one more year, Tanny is goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Tony Sparano Goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. The world will be a much better place, beside I'm a Jets fan so it's all about the Combine and Draft, this Plays off's and Superbowl Stuff is for those other suckers,,,,

So what if Mo and Coples continue to become monsters, Davis upgrades, Ellis stays healthy, they actually land right with a bigtime 34 OLB pass rusher in the 1st, figure Matt Elam or the Honey Badger in the 3rd, and Ducasse is finally ready.

I want nothing to do with the Honey Badger, especially in the 3rd round. He's a midget mentally and physically.

Also, I'm not really into giving Ducasse a shot at starting. We should spend a high round (but not 1st) on someone for the right side of the offensive line.

Shuab, as we saw against NE is also limited as a starter due to his lack of arm strength.

Whoever we get for next year is a stopgap until what will hopefully be a decent QB draft in 2014.

We shut down Schaub too for the most part. My point was, I think Moore can be a similar type QB - a game manager with limited abilities. A good hold the fort guy.

So what if Mo and Coples continue to become monsters, Davis upgrades, Ellis stays healthy, they actually land right with a bigtime 34 OLB pass rusher in the 1st, figure Matt Elam or the Honey Badger in the 3rd, and Ducasse is finally ready.

Matt Elam's not falling to the 3rd. Some rumors floating around UF that he wasnt to stay another season too...

Money can be negotiated into any trade, like the way the Jets inexplicably paid $2.5M in the trade to acquire Tebow. If Pete Carroll doesn't like Flynn, and feels he can rehabilitate Sanchez, he just may be willing to do a deal that doesn't cost the Jets any more than the $8.25M guarantee Sanchez has coming to him next year.

You're missing my point. It isn't just about actual money, it is also about cap hit. Trading a player accelerates some monies still owed on the contract immediately to your cap figure. You can make up for that by acquiring a lower cost player in return, but it makes no sense to exchange for an equally high contract.

I want nothing to do with the Honey Badger, especially in the 3rd round. He's a midget mentally and physically.

Also, I'm not really into giving Ducasse a shot at starting. We should spend a high round (but not 1st) on someone for the right side of the offensive line.

yep. Matt Elam would be my first choice in the 3rd and I threw in an OG in the 4th above. Something like that. Honey badger will boom or bust, where he's drafted could end up anywhere after an early second IMO. Vontaze Burfict of 2013.

where do u think he's going u homer.

Not 100% sure. Plus, he might return to school.

I'd say that if Harrison Smith was a top 30 pick, Elam will at the very latest be taken in the 2nd round. He's the best SS in the draft, hands down. I think he probably goes between 30-45 overall, which is part of the reason he might return. A great Senior season could project him into a sure fire 1st rounder.

I'm not a homer. I'm a honest Gators fan. The only player I think I ever ranked higher than he should be coming out was Derrick Harvey. I liked him over Gholston for the Jets. lulz. I'll tell it like it is. Like that one Tebow homer that told me I was crazy for saying Jeff Demps will never play a down in a regular season game.

You're missing my point. It isn't just about actual money, it is also about cap hit. Trading a player accelerates some monies still owed on the contract immediately to your cap figure. You can make up for that by acquiring a lower cost player in return, but it makes no sense to exchange for an equally high contract.

I understand all of that.

If the Jets can get a trading partner to take on some of Mark's salary, that money would come off of their cap. They're screwed capwise next year no matter what, but being able to get Sanchez off the books would be addition by subtraction - even if it costs a little against the cap. It's probably a pipe dream, but if Seattle liked Sanchez and wanted to rid themselves of Flynn, they might be willing to do something on the money to help alleviate the Jets' cap hit.

yep. Matt Elam would be my first choice in the 3rd and I threw in an OG in the 4th above. Something like that. Honey badger will boom or bust, where he's drafted could end up anywhere after an early second IMO. Vontaze Burfict of 2013.

I would take a flier on him in the 6th or 7th. Anything earlier and you're playing with fire.

I understand all of that.

If the Jets can get a trading partner to take on some of Mark's salary, that money would come off of their cap. They're screwed capwise next year no matter what, but being able to get Sanchez off the books would be addition by subtraction - even if it costs a little against the cap. It's probably a pipe dream, but if Seattle liked Sanchez and wanted to rid themselves of Flynn, they might be willing to do something on the money to help alleviate the Jets' cap hit.

The Coach who said Sanchez wasn't ready for the NFL would suddenly want him at some inflated price tag? And after proving him right beyond all doubt? Pete has made some stupid QB moves (Whitehurst? Flynn ?), but he's got a potential ROY in Wilson, and they are on path to make the playoffs. They also have an up and coming defense that makes plays. Why would they trade for Sanchez? Why would they screw with Wilson at this point? Bringing on a Sanchez does nothing for them at all. Except make fans pissed. Make teammates pissed. ANd probably make Wilson pissed. This is a Jets fans dream trade, not a realistic one.

Yes, the Seahawks have made some questionable moves over the years, but they've really never made a move to put people in the seats. At this point who would trade picks and players and give Sanchez that money? Especially for a backup role? That's a pipe dream.

The only teams who might even dream of trading for Sanchez would be Arizona, Jacksonville, Buffalo and the Raiders. Kansas City already spent way too much on bad QBs so I just don't see a new regime coming in and thinking they can change Sanchez or wanting anything to do with him.. Sanchez's last game probably killed half the potential trades, if there ever were any. Yes he was bad, but when the last image anybody has of him is 5 bad turnovers on MNF against a bad team and the viral video of a butt fumble, nobody in their right mind is going to give up much for the kid and take on salary.

So Arizona as a trade partner for Sanchez. I'm sure they will have some kind of new regime. Kolb hasn't been terrible, he's just always hurt. So where do they go from here? They might actually have the worst QB situation I've ever seen. That's how bad their QBs have been. Sanchez stinks, but the Arizona QBs might not even be ready for pop warner. So everybody knows Kolb is an injury liability, therefore a new regime would come in and want to draft their future QB. THey aren't going to take on 8.5 Million for a backup or a short term solution. People say the Jets should take on Matt Moore cause he'd be cheap and a short term solution. Don't you think other bad teams are thinking the same thing? I just don't see the Cardinals with a new coach and regime wanting anything to do with Sanchez. He costs too much money for what he is at this point. So unless the Cardinals give up a 6th round draft pick for sanchez and the Jets take on most of the salary, it's not going to happen.

Jacksonville... They would take Tebow over Sanchez in a heartbeat. ANd at this point, who would trade anything for Tebow knowing the Jets don't even think of him as a backup QB? The Jets made dumb moves all the way around. They suited up an injured Tebow but never planned on using him. When they finally bench Sanchez, they don't make the backup the starter, they make the guy who hasn't suited up in 13 out of 14 games. It's one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen. It's not about who is better, who wins, it's been a decision based on never wanting to make Sanchez look like a joke. But in the meantime it made the Jets and their staff look like morons. Tebow has to be released because nobody in their right mind would trade anything for him at this point. They don't think Tebow is a QB in the NFL, but they must not have thought too much about McElroy considering he never even suited up all year long. So that's the situation they put themselves in. They would rather start a kid who they never thought could even be a backup, a kid who they never thought should even suit up all year over their assumed backup QB? Yeah talk about forcing their own hands. So Tebow gets released and Jacksonville signs him. They need the fans.

Buffalo? They gave Fitzpatrick too much money, do you really think they are going to trade with the Jets for a guy who is worth less than Fitzpatrick but paid more? I doubt it.

Where does that leave us? Oakland. Who knows. It's no longer Al Davis, but the Raiders are the strong arm long ball kind of philosophy. And they are stuck with Palmer. Sanchez is too expensive and he doesn't throw the long ball.

The truth is, Sanchez is looked at as damaged goods. He costs way too much money. And the lasting image of him at this point is 5 bad turnovers and being bashed by everybody on MNF, and that butt fumble. And there really are no great games to remember him by. People like to say he took the Jets to two AFC Championship games. But beating San Diego 17-14 in a game everybody remembers Greene running over Cromartie isn't exactly that 'defining' game. He's never really had moments. Young QBs make mistakes. The good ones have great games thrown into the mix though. Sanchez has never had games like RG3 or Luck or Wilson. And he's gotten worse year after year, not better. No team in their right mind would give anything up for him. And they sure won't be spending 8.5 million on him.

We really need to face the reality the Sanchez will most likely be here next season. He might be a backup and not a happy backup, but who else would be stupid to take him? Unless of course Ryan gets fired and that man love they have translates to Rex going to Philly, bringing Sanchez along and the Jets winding up with somebody else. I highly doubt that'll happen though.

Matt Moore sucks at playing Quarterback.

Alex Smith isn't a sexy acquisition but he's everything Rex would want out of a QB. High completion percentage and a very nice TD to INT ratio. He's also dealt with all kinds of drama in SF so should be prepared mentally to deal with these vultures in the media.

I never would have thought I'd be hoping for Alex Smith but I think he's the best and most logical choice.

If Rex stays...this is probably the direction the team takes...I'd have to advise caution...he's only had success when teamed with Harbaugh and the one year with Norv as the OC...both offensive guys...so I'm guessing he needs consistent maintenance...not sure Rex is the coach for that...and Sparano/Cavanaugh haven't exactly earned accolades for QB development.

Neither. Get me 1 of these, in order from most wanted to least:

1. Colin K

2. Cousins

3. [Draft 1st round]

4. Flynn

5. Moore

None of those are happening. Outside chance at 5 maybe, but the rest aren't happening. Neither of the first 2 are moving anywhere, there isn't any QB in the first round worth it this season, and Flynn is owed a bunch of money and so is Sanchez.

Who the Jets fan would like to see here, and what we get are usually 2 different things. Based on Woody Johnson's track record for wanting to make big splash back page worthy crap regardless if its good attention, or bad, and the Jets decided to pick up a QB next season from the available pool, there is no doubt in my mind Vick would be the choice, Woody just wouldn't be able to help himself.

Now what the Jets really need to do is make a decision on who the FUTURE QB is going to be, whether they draft one, sign one, or trade for one, and this needs to be a decision that will give said QB 2 years no more, no less to prove he is the right choice, and by that I mean 2013 is a wash, who ever is starting here next year needs to have a new O-Coordinator with a up to date passing NFL offense, and should be given the chance to throw the ball 30-50 times a game, every game while learning the new system, and NEVER told to bring in the reigns, take your lumps, and let whom ever is at QB learn the system, and learn from the mistakes he makes. 2014 if done properly could see the Jets roster have good enough talent everywhere to contend, that is the year the new QB has to show he belongs as the leader of the offense, and prove he has what it takes to take over a game, and win it for you, if after year 2 this does not seem to be the case start over with a new QB, hell with the new CBA you can draft a QB in the 1st round every damn year if you want, the salary's, and guarnateed money won't set your franchise back 5 years like it used to. Funny about the 5 year thing, next year is the 5th year since we drafted Sanchez, and I would bet a lot of money we have our worst season record wise since 2007! I pray its a 1-15 season if its not a playoff team, there are 2 once in a decade players coming out in the 2014 draft (more than likely, both will be eligible to, I highly doubt either risks the chance of injury if their stock is as high as they are right now).

And who would those 2 players be?

Jets expected to pursue veteran to compete with Sanchez, but Vick unlikely: sources

It's probably safe to cross Michael Vick off the list of potential 2013 Jets quarterbacks.

According to a source, it is highly unlikely that Vick would choose to come to the Jets once the Eagles release him after this season, as expected.

The Jets are likely to be in the market for a veteran quarterback to compete with Mark Sanchez for the starting job next year. It will be difficult for the Jets to release Sanchez because they would sustain a salary cap hit of at least $12.4 million and owe him $8.25 million.

According to several sources, the most likely scenario is Sanchez competing for the starting job with a veteran and either Greg McElroy or someone they draft.

Vick wants to go to a team where he will be the starter, according to a source. If the Jets hold on to Sanchez, that is not a guarantee.

There is also the problem of Vick's price tag. He is expected to get at least $10 million per year, more than the Jets likely can afford. An NFL Network report said Vick would come to the Jets if they paid him more than Sanchez. They will be paying Sanchez $8.25 million unless they find a trading partner willing to pick some of that up, which seems like a near impossibility. So can the Jets pay nearly $20 million for one position with so many other holes?

It is more like the Jets would turn to a veteran like Alex Smith, who the 49ers are expected to dump. League sources said Smith is likely to get around $5 million a year as a free agent.

The Jets are going to have a tough time selling themselves to any quarterback after this dismal season. They are going to need to upgrade the offensive skill positions to attract a proven quarterback.

Big decisions for Woody to make.

The only way that Sanchez can come back is with a new offensive minded HC (think A Smith w/Harbaugh). There is no way Sanchez can come back with Rex - the stadium would erupt at the first interception and there is really no path to success there. So Woody has to chose between keeping Rex and Mark, or just canning both.

If Rex stays then I say go get Alex Smith and draft a developmental player with a big arm.

Big decisions for Woody to make.

The only way that Sanchez can come back is with a new offensive minded HC (think A Smith w/Harbaugh). There is no way Sanchez can come back with Rex - the stadium would erupt at the first interception and there is really no path to success there. So Woody has to chose between keeping Rex and Mark, or just canning both.

If Rex stays then I say go get Alex Smith and draft a developmental player with a big arm.

They won't be able to afford Smith. Some team like the Chiefs or someone will give him Flynn money.

They won't be able to afford Smith. Some team like the Chiefs or someone will give him Flynn money.

There are only 32 starting QB jobs in the NFL. Teams that need starters: KC, Buf, Jax, Oak, Arizona, NYJ.

Jax almost has to take Tebow.

That leaves 5 teams with openings.

Buffalo wants to draft their franchise QB, so no Smith there.

Oakland is Oakland so let's rule them out as a destination.

That leaves KC, Arizona, NYJ.

So basically the Jets are competing with 2 other teams for Alex Smith and depending on who the HC and OC are I think the Jets are a fairly attractive destination.

Arizona would make a great home for Sanchez. Great wr's, an offensive minded coach, and a low stress environment.

Alex Smith will get you 9 wins a year for three years, at which point you decide your team needs a better QB to get you over the hump, and you've wasted three years.

Alex Smith was a fumbled punt away from the Super Bowl last year and probably a concussion away this year.

If this Jets team had Alex Smith as QB they would be a 10-12 win team this season and we'd be talking about their chances to win the AFC.

There are only 32 starting QB jobs in the NFL. Teams that need starters: KC, Buf, Jax, Oak, Arizona, NYJ.

Jax almost has to take Tebow.

That leaves 5 teams with openings.

Buffalo wants to draft their franchise QB, so Smith there.

Oakland is Oakland so let's rule them out as a destination.

That leaves KC, Arizona, NYJ.

So basically the Jets are competing with 2 other teams for Alex Smith and depending on who the HC and OC are I think the Jets are a fairly attractive destination.

Arizona would make a great home for Sanchez. Great wr's, an offensive minded coach, and a low stress environment.

If the Jets compete for that JAG with anyone it will be a total disaster.

Alex Smith was a fumbled punt away from the Super Bowl last year and probably a concussion away this year.

If this Jets team had Alex Smith as QB they would be a 10-12 win team this season and we'd be talking about their chances to win the AFC.

With the best D in the NFL, with a great running game and O line and the best offensive coaching staff in the NFL (who benched him the next year because they know he's just not that good)

Alex Smith will get you 9 wins a year for three years, at which point you decide your team needs a better QB to get you over the hump, and you've wasted three years.

Alex Smith would have won 10-11 games with this team. I really thought Sanchez would turn it around but he's been a complete disaster this year and it's gotten steadily worse.

If the Mac Attack is worth a sh-t you get Alex Smith with Mc as your # 2 then draft a QB in the first 3 rounds in the 14' draft.

Archived