Alex Smith or Mike Vick?

jetfan718

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, and go figure that Pac thinks he's the answer for this team. If Smith were brought in, I don't think it would take more than an hour after the signing before a new all-out QB battle erupted on this board.

hardy har har.. meanwhile I haven't seen anyone make another realistic recommendation who would be a better fit.

much easier to try and gang up to further shame me lol.

Let me just say that Alex Smith would be a disaster. He's average at best with probably the best team in the NFL around him. He was as big a bust as you can be before Harbaugh came and basically instructed him to do no harm. Look at the difference with the 49ers playcalling with Kaepernick at QB.

hardy har har.. meanwhile I haven't seen anyone make another realistic recommendation who would be a better fit.

much easier to try and gang up to further shame me lol.

Um, actually, this thread is filled with other opinions on who people think the Jets should pursue.

And what is this nonsense and ganging up and shaming? Geez, did you go to the bitonti school of martyrdom? You're the one who made a point and what, people aren't allowed to disagree with you? So sorry that we find it funny that you, once again, see a mediocre "game manager" type QB as the answer. Just to clear, those against Smith have mostly made the same point, he might be an alright stop-gap option but he is not a guy who you make a long-term commitment to, which is what he'll be looking for.

Um, actually, this thread is filled with other opinions on who people think the Jets should pursue.

And what is this nonsense and ganging up and shaming? Geez, did you go to the bitonti school of martyrdom? You're the one who made a point and what, people aren't allowed to disagree with you? So sorry that we find it funny that you, once again, see a mediocre "game manager" type QB as the answer. Just to clear, those against Smith have mostly made the same point, he might be an alright stop-gap option but he is not a guy who you make a long-term commitment to, which is what he'll be looking for.

don't you think you should at least disagree with me before you "find it funny"?

because I'm pretty sure you're saying what I said.. get him in here for 2 years and draft the QB of the future in 14'.

don't you think you should at least disagree with me before you "find it funny"?

because I'm pretty sure you're saying what I said.. get him in here for 2 years and draft the QB of the future in 14'.

The real source of disagreement is that despite perhaps similar feelings on him as a player (although I wouldn't call him above average), I don't want him signed. That's for the simple reason that Smith isn't going to take a low-dollar, short-term commitment, and I don't think he's worth any more than that. If he's willing to go for that than it's a whole different story, I just don't see it happening. Assuming he wants more of a commitment, the last thing I want is the Jets locking themselves into a deal with another mediocre guy who isn't good enough to be a real answer at QB. If they're going to have that kind of guy on the roster, it should only be with the mindset that it's as a security blanket just in case they can't find a better option, more than anything else.

It needs to be someone they'll be more than happy to toss to the side the second they have someone available they feel has the potential to be a long-term answer and is ready to play, whether that's in training camp next year, midway through the season or even if it's a year later after one full decent-but-unimpressive playoff season. You can't honestly say you believe this team has the balls to do the same to Smith that the 49ers did, can you? I can't, especially not if locked into a multi-year deal for a decent chunk of change.

Fatty foot perversion.....is that what you guys are calling him now??Really wheres your respect for this leader of the jets.Hes fought hard to take Sanchise to the next level. Now that we have the league in our grasps you guys wanna bail. Even fire marshal fred bailed. But i still got my jets starter and remain calm. Tony Sparano needs to be commended and give Sanchise another year to flourish in his system. Maybe we go get plax to solidfy this offence for the future. Stay true and keep your toes covered at night.

Let me just say that Alex Smith would be a disaster. He's average at best with probably the best team in the NFL around him. He was as big a bust as you can be before Harbaugh came and basically instructed him to do no harm. Look at the difference with the 49ers playcalling with Kaepernick at QB.

The ability to follow that instruction = huge upgrade.

The ability to follow that instruction = huge upgrade.

I just think that the fact Jim Harbaugh(who I feel is a really good HC; not to mention was a NFL QB himself) decided to bench a guy with a 70% completion rate and 3rd highest QBR in football the first chance he got says there's not a whole lot of upside there.

I get that Smith is the right kind of guy to run what Rex feels an offense should look like, but isn't it far past time to stop trying to win games 17-13?

I just think that the fact Jim Harbaugh(who I feel is a really good HC; not to mention was a NFL QB himself) decided to bench a guy with a 70% completion rate and 3rd highest QBR in football the first chance he got says there's not a whole lot of upside there.

I get that Smith is the right kind of guy to run what Rex feels an offense should look like, but isn't it far past time to stop trying to win games 17-13?

This is getting annoying.. not you in particular - just this talking point that's being repeated.

Who is a better option then Alex Smith to come in and be the QB for the Jets in 13'? I've honestly been waiting for a name or 2. I'd rather have Smith then Vick, Campbell, or whatever other 2nd string castoff will be available. Anyone else out there I'm not thinking of?

This is getting annoying.. not you in particular - just this talking point that's being repeated.

Who is a better option then Alex Smith to come in and be the QB for the Jets in 13'? I've honestly been waiting for a name or 2. I'd rather have Smith then Vick, Campbell, or whatever other 2nd string castoff will be available. Anyone else out there I'm not thinking of?

I think Tim Tebow may be available this offseason, rumor has it that he's really unhappy with how the Jets treated hi....oh god dammit.

In all honesty, when discussing these guys I will care more about the contract than the player.

I thought the ilks credo was to find players whose statistical achievements hit a certain threshold. Is a 70% completion percentage and 13 TD's to 5 INT's not exactly the type of player you salivate over?

Can you name the rookie or FA QB that will come in and mirror that kind of proficiency?

I demand to hear what the football gods at PROFOCUSDVOY have to say about Smith.

And yet even with such resounding numbers, he still got benched. So perhaps there really is something to those mumbo jumbo paragraphs.

And yet even with such resounding numbers, he still got benched. So perhaps there really is something to those mumbo jumbo paragraphs.

Have you ever heard Jim Harbaugh speak? The guy is a cross between John Nash and Rainman. Who knows why he makes the decisions he does. Smith wouldn't have been benched on 31 other teams.

Have you ever heard Jim Harbaugh speak? The guy is a cross between John Nash and Rainman. Who knows why he makes the decisions he does. Smith wouldn't have been benched on 31 other teams.

Yet the 2nd year Kaepernick, in his first real chance to play in the NFL, is already playing up to the level it took Smith 8 years to get to. You're essentially saying that the 49ers should have stayed committed to a JAG QB (who spent the majority of his career as a complete bust) over their franchise-QB-in-waiting for as long as Smith wasn't playing awfully. Hate to break it to you, but countless teams have moved on from veterans having solid seasons in favor of their young QB in waiting because they knew it was what was the best for the future of their franchise, regardless if it could potentially have negative impacts on that season. The only reason the Smith move gained as much press as it did is because Kaepernick's first start happened as a result of an injury and the team had a good record.

It's this kind of logic which is the exact reason why I don't want any type of even remotely serious commitment made to Smith or any other such similar QB. The Jets need to be finding themselves a future franchise QB, which Smith most certainly is not, and as soon as that QB is ready to play, the team needs to be ready to send whoever they sign as the placeholder to the bench without a moment's hesitation, whether that's after the first training camp, eight games or one full season.

I don't think that bringing Smith in to be QB is a bad idea for the Jets in '13; hell, they might even win 10-12 games. I just think it's kicking the can down the road. We're in the 'or bust' part of that whole 'Super Bowl or bust' era of 2008-2010. Trying to keep the window open for as long as humanly possible really isn't the most prudent idea.

• 2 weeks later...

The first is Johnny (****ING Football) Manziel, the first ever player to win the heisman as (redshirt) Freshman. The second is Jadeveon Clowney possibly the best defensive prospect to come out of college since Lawrence Taylor, and that's no joke. He will contend for the Heisman next year.

Unfortunately were a ways off from the 2014 season ...

He would have been benched years ago by all 32 NFL teams. You know, when he sucked for the first 5-6 seasons of his pre-Harbaugh career.

Harbaugh and the front office didn't draft Smith. They drafted Kaepernick. They owed Smith nothing.

He would have been benched years ago by all 32 NFL teams. You know, when he sucked for the first 5-6 seasons of his pre-Harbaugh career.

Harbaugh and the front office didn't draft Smith. They drafted Kaepernick. They owed Smith nothing.

He was. Multiple times. For the likes of Dilfer and Shaun Hill.

While we're talking about sh*tty stop-gaps at QB he might not have been a bad option. $5.5M for 2 years and statistically better than anything we've got or brought in.

Archived