Why Rex Ryan Chose Greg McElroy

JetNation

New York Jets head coach has pulled the plug on Mark Sanchez.  Earlier today it was announced that Greg McElroy would get the start on Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.  It had been speculated by some, including myself in our NY Jets Podcast this week, that Tim Tebow would get the starting nod this week.

Tebow getting the starting nod would have made sense for business reasons; ticket and jersey sales.  Fortunately Rex made the decision based on football reasons, which is why they will take an extended look at Greg McElroy.

Rex met with the media today and answered questions about why he decided to bench Mark Sanchez and start Greg McElroy.

On why McElroy starting is the best for the team…
Well, that’s what I feel in my gut. I liked what I saw from Greg against Arizona and I liked what I see on the practice field. I just truly believe I think it’s best for our team right now and that’s how I feel about it.

On whether Tebow and Sanchez will be active…
I’m not sure right now. As it goes on, the week goes on, I’ll make that determination. But right now, I’m not ready to do that right now.

On why he didn’t choose Tebow as the starter…
Well again, I think it’s where we are right now and I just think it’s best for our team and for this game. That’s how I feel.

On why McElroy wasn’t active the past two games and is now the starter…
Again, I think I’m not going to get into all the other particulars. You guys know what I’ve mentioned in the past about him. So I’ll just go with it. Right now, I’m more focused on really what’s in front of us and not looking back on what’s behind us.

On whether Sanchez could be the starter in the future…
Again, really we have two games left and I think that’s where my focus is going to be and obviously, what’s passed that will be determined later.

On why Tebow is not qualified to start over McElroy…
Again, I look at this, I know Tim is a tremendous competitor, and I don’t doubt that at all. For right now, I think this move, it’s a move that I made, is best for our team in this game. I believe that and that’s why I’m making the move that I’m making.

On why starting McElroy is the best decision for the team…
This is my opinion. I do believe that it is best for our team that Greg is our quarterback. That’s my opinion and I’m the guy that’s making this decision. Every decision I make is based on what I believe is in the best interest of our team. When I say that, that’s what I believe.

On how McElroy gives the team the best chance of winning…
I’m not going to get into specifics. This is my decision and solely my decision. When I say I believe it’s best for this team, that’s what I truly believe in. You can make it anything you want it to be, (but) this is how I feel.

On why Tebow is not the starter…
I can answer this question a million ways, frontwards, backwards, sideways, anything else, but it’s my decision and I’m going to base this decision on my gut feeling. Everything it comes down to, I believe that this is the best decision for this team. Like every other decision that I make, that’s the factor. That’s the only factor that goes into these decisions.

We've been put through this to save Tannys blushes, over the Sanchez failure. We could cut him for zero now but since he was gave him an extension we have to pay the Jerk 8mill.

The other jerk Johnson, had the FO sign Tebow, Rex can't say anything since it would upset Woody. It says something that could will Trade Tebow to the Jags for a pick, and he's an aweful QB, and our Fanchise QB ant worth a bag of balls.

Rex is the worst. He's officially become Mangini. Clueless and takes refuge in the ambiguous. He's completely lost in what to do or where to go from here because there was never a contingency plan. He went all in on a pair of 8's and has no ****ing clue how to buy back in to the game after he busted. **** him. This entire strategy of doubling down on Sanchez not only cost us this season but it cost us 2013 as well. And now he doesn't know what to say to anything or hold himself accountable, because he hasn't held one player accountable, and nobody in this organization gets held accountable. So let's just give bland answers. This is exactly the type of coach that he wasn't supposed to have been when he first came to this organization, but that was all a big lie. Because the reality is that he knows how to talk before the season and he knows how to talk when he's bullying around another sh*tty team, but once someone pushes back, he cries and shuts his mouth. Get the **** off my team Rex. Coward.

^ I'm almost there with Rex, too, except I think he's taken on the burden of covering up for Tannenbaum and Johnson, so that attenuates things. He's either too naive or too narcissistic to comprehend that he's being set up to fall on the sword for the gross idiocy of the entire management. He'd do well to pull Mehta off to the side and anonymously give up--at least--who's driving the train as it regards Tebow. If Johnson really did force him onto the roster, giving confirmation of that to the media at this point swings the camera off of Rex 180 degrees.

When it's all said and done, I think the Rex-Jets eulogy will read that he just wasn't ready for a job like this, where it was in his best interest to push back against a pair of nitwits like Johnson and Tanny. Big mouth, tiny spine.

I don't pay attention to these interviews because this is exactly the amount of content I expect them to contain.

Rex is good at talking his players up. When he doesn't have something good to say, he doesn't have anything to say. How do you be diplomatic about this stable of QBs? I really don't care what what he says at this point. It's his actions that count. He benched the guy his boss just guaranteed another $8.25M, and bypassed the folk hero the team traded for, to start a seventh rounder. Better late than never. And frankly, I get the logic of trying to build some semblance of confidence in Sanchez against two weak opponents on the road. It just didn't work out. With the team coming home, this is a mercy benching for Sanchez.

There has to be a ton of crap going on behind the scenes right now. Alliances being formed and being broken. I imagine Rex is treading thru that with these public comments, too. Someone's getting thrown under the bus sometime soon.

Rex is the worst. He's officially become Mangini. Clueless and takes refuge in the ambiguous. He's completely lost in what to do or where to go from here because there was never a contingency plan. He went all in on a pair of 8's and has no ****ing clue how to buy back in to the game after he busted. **** him. This entire strategy of doubling down on Sanchez not only cost us this season but it cost us 2013 as well. And now he doesn't know what to say to anything or hold himself accountable, because he hasn't held one player accountable, and nobody in this organization gets held accountable. So let's just give bland answers. This is exactly the type of coach that he wasn't supposed to have been when he first came to this organization, but that was all a big lie. Because the reality is that he knows how to talk before the season and he knows how to talk when he's bullying around another sh*tty team, but once someone pushes back, he cries and shuts his mouth. Get the **** off my team Rex. Coward.

Not sure what he's supposed to say at this point but I'd love to know who is really making the decisions. How much of Mark and Tim was forced on him. Clearly Tim was, there is no doubt about that...but even with all this blind loyalty to Sanchez, you got to wonder if he wanted to commit to McElroy weeks ago but got resistance and was forced to play Mark.

^ I'm almost there with Rex, too, except I think he's taken on the burden of covering up for Tannenbaum and Johnson, so that attenuates things. He's either too naive or too narcissistic to comprehend that he's being set up to fall on the sword for the gross idiocy of the entire management. He'd do well to pull Mehta off to the side and anonymously give up--at least--who's driving the train as it regards Tebow. If Johnson really did force him onto the roster, giving confirmation of that to the media at this point swings the camera off of Rex 180 degrees.

When it's all said and done, I think the Rex-Jets eulogy will read that he just wasn't ready for a job like this, where it was in his best interest to push back against a pair of nitwits like Johnson and Tanny. Big mouth, tiny spine.

I felt like he pushed back last year by saying no to Hard Knocks. But he caved on Tebow. He needed to go 2 for 2 last offseason, he went 1 for 2.

Hopefully as he feels more pressure to keep his job, he will stay true to form and do what is best for the team.

On how McElroy gives the team the best chance of winning…

I’m not going to get into specifics. This is my decision and solely my decision. When I say I believe it’s best for this team, that’s what I truly believe in. You can make it anything you want it to be, (but) this is how I feel.

<div style="float: left;" wpa-nomargin"="">

I don't know what you are all complaining about. Right here he said exactly what you all wanted to hear. He is saying that Sanchez is the best QB, but that he is being held accountable for sucking/choking/pissing away the playoffs.

It's simply amazing how many different ways you can say nothing at all.

Granted, but the media are a$$holes. They could not be more desperately trying to get Rex to say a single unkind word about Tebow that they can then blow up into some massive media sh*tstorm. That's the exact reason Rex refused to say anything about it.

That's not the slightest bit of defense for him, given the fact that we're in this absurd situation to begin with because of his dumb ass, but he'd have to be an even bigger idiot to give those douches what they want.

Called it!

Called it!

Actually no.. no you didn't.

You're being naive if you don't think as Slats and JiF have suggested there is a lot of ass covering going on behind the scenes. This PC without saying anything happens on every NFL team all the time.

Do you expect him to say Tebow sucks and I never wanted him and we need to find out if Greg is a viable # 2 for 13'?

The only thing is, Rex has no say in financial decisions, has no clue in how those financial decisions affect the future either, nor should he, he should coach, and the GM should well GM, and he is solely responsible for any stupid contracts, and financial decisions this team made, what is Rex supposed to say here, well you know Tanny really ****ed this one up, and Woody gave the ok to **** this up, I can only coach the players I am given, and I wanted Sanchez this year, but now because those stupid ****s Tanny, and Woody gave him that extension my hand was forced here to save Tannys job, and not make Woody look bad?

This is not to say Rex doesn't deserve plenty of blame for this last 2 seasons, but he was really set up to fail by people above him, not just by himself, and yes it is both.

I think that he may be hoping to fall on the sword after being around tanny and woody. I think he has stuck up for his players in the media and refuses to throw anyone under the bus. I think that takes huge balls and is no indication of a tiny spine. Remember when Tuna left the Pats back in the day, or was it Dallas? If you are expected to bake a cake, you should be able to buy the groceries. If you think that Rex bought this set of sh*t on the O side of the ball you are sadly mistaken. Fvcking Parcells wasnt allowed to pick his own players even after he won demi-god status as a coach. Do you think that Tanny, after the Mangina years was going to let a newby HC run a draft? Holy sh*t, I thought most of this board would realize this but it just has become a witch hunt...

The only thing is, Rex has no say in financial decisions, has no clue in how those financial decisions affect the future either, nor should he, he should coach, and the GM should well GM, and he is solely responsible for any stupid contracts, and financial decisions this team made, what is Rex supposed to say here, well you know Tanny really ****ed this one up, and Woody gave the ok to **** this up, I can only coach the players I am given, and I wanted Sanchez this year, but now because those stupid ****s Tanny, and Woody gave him that extension my hand was forced here to save Tannys job, and not make Woody look bad?

This is not to say Rex doesn't deserve plenty of blame for this last 2 seasons, but he was really set up to fail by people above him, not just by himself, and yes it is both.

preach on brother

Heard Shannon Sharpe this morning talking to the backup guys on the Fan this morning. Basically, Shannon was saying that one thing he learned during his years broadcasting with Steve Young was that when you have a QB controversy between a veteran and a backup, you let the veteran defend or ruin his right to start. My gut tells me that we didn't have anyone in the bullpen that the staff trusted enough to unseat Sanchez.

Actually no.. no you didn't.

You're being naive if you don't think as Slats and JiF have suggested there is a lot of ass covering going on behind the scenes. This PC without saying anything happens on every NFL team all the time.

Do you expect him to say Tebow sucks and I never wanted him and we need to find out if Greg is a viable # 2 for 13'?

I was referring to being the first to say Rex is in over his head.

STFU

just to be clear I'm not defending the thinking but trying to explain it. the Jets were thinking about the playoffs when they made the first decision to start Sanchez at JAC. imagine if Greg wins out, he would get smoked in the playoffs. With Mark, there's a track record of him raising his game in the playoffs. Obviously the plan didn't work but I believe that's what they were thinking the first time around.

just to be clear I'm not defending the thinking but trying to explain it. the Jets were thinking about the playoffs when they made the first decision to start Sanchez at JAC. imagine if Greg wins out, he would get smoked in the playoffs. With Mark, there's a track record of him raising his game in the playoffs. Obviously the plan didn't work but I believe that's what they were thinking the first time around.

ya maybe Bit. Part of me thinks its just plain ole simple Office Politics/Save Your Ass 101 with Tanny trying to justify to Woody his move up in draft to get Sanchez and his May 2012 extension

ya maybe Bit. Part of me thinks its just plain ole simple Office Politics/Save Your Ass 101 with Tanny trying to justify to Woody his move up in draft to get Sanchez and his May 2012 extension

agree with that 100% but the real question is why did Rex let it happen.

agree with that 100% but the real question is why did Rex let it happen.

I am thinking 'maybe' Woody in that summit meeting 2 months ago gave BOTH of them a Playoffs or else edict.

It appears to me Tanny is 100% gone and I am starting to think Woody is going to use the Footsie Video as the tiebreaker on Rex.

In other words, Woody figures there is probably something else out there or will emerge so if I am iffy on Rex I may as well be proactive.

If not that, then Tanny has reporting power over Rex. I dont know the contract language in Rex's contract as far as that. I know Cowher was specific about not allowing GM over rule on Personell in his contract because of earlier experience in his career.

Not sure what he's supposed to say at this point but I'd love to know who is really making the decisions. How much of Mark and Tim was forced on him. Clearly Tim was, there is no doubt about that...but even with all this blind loyalty to Sanchez, you got to wonder if he wanted to commit to McElroy weeks ago but got resistance and was forced to play Mark.

Wonder how Rex would look if he put TT in and he actually rejuvenated the team ?

(hey Rex you idiot why not sooner?)

My question if Rex knows so much (provided he really is making this decision, which I don't think it is..its Tanny) how is it that this decision is so much more informed than the one he made to keep Mark behind center weeks beyond its worth...?? He was an idiot then, and he still is.

Gmac has what seven plays under center in the NFL ?

Wonder how Rex would look if he put TT in and he actually rejuvenated the team ?

(hey Rex you idiot why not sooner?)

My question if Rex knows so much (provided he really is making this decision, which I don't think it is..its Tanny) how is it that this decision is so much more informed than the one he made to keep Mark behind center weeks beyond its worth...?? He was an idiot then, and he still is.

Gmac has what seven plays under center in the NFL ?

Its my theory that the main reason why Rex isnt starting Tebow for the rest of the season is because if Tebow plays well and sparks the team, that he'll never hear the end of why he didnt put him in sooner.

Its my theory that the main reason why Rex isnt starting Tebow for the rest of the season is because if Tebow plays well and sparks the team, that he'll never hear the end of why he didnt put him in sooner.

Yep same issue with GMAC

BTW i believe Tebow deserves the start vs SD in front of all the fans who bought tickets and jerseys, Let GMAC play at Buffalo mon

I actually think this has some truth to it. Rex knows Tebow is not an NFL starting QB...if Tebow actually won...it would force Rex to keep playing him...similar to John Fox and Elway last year...from the outside looking in...I thought Denver's coaches resigned themselves to the fans' call for Tebow and were shocked when he actually won some games...the problem is the entertainment value is zilch for three quarters and you cannot seriously contend for championships.

So I'm curious to know if those people who think it's so horrible for 2nd-string QB Tim Tebow to be passed over for 3rd-string QB Greg McElroy found it equally unforgivable when last season in Denver 2nd-string QB Brady Quinn was passed over for 3rd-string QB Tim Tebow?

Jets brought him into Circus, so they should at least allow the paying fans who screamed Te-BOW at every game to at least let him play 1 whole game in NY mon

Jets brought him into Circus, so they should at least allow the paying fans who screamed Te-BOW at every game to at least let him play 1 whole game in NY mon

They've already wasted millions of dollars and two draft picks on him. No reason to add our time onto that list.

The point still stands, if someone personally thinks he should start, that's their opinion and they have the right to it. However, those people trying to play it as some grave injustice because the second stringer got passed over the third stringer should realize Tebow's the last guy in the league who's got room to complain about that, considering neither he nor his fans seemed to be all that concerned about it when the same thing went in his favor just over a year ago.

Archived