Why Rex Ryan Chose Greg McElroy

JetNation

I actually think this has some truth to it. Rex knows Tebow is not an NFL starting QB...if Tebow actually won...it would force Rex to keep playing him...similar to John Fox and Elway last year...from the outside looking in...I thought Denver's coaches resigned themselves to the fans' call for Tebow and were shocked when he actually won some games...the problem is the entertainment value is zilch for three quarters and you cannot seriously contend for championships.

I think it is the opposite. the reason he is sitting Tebow is to preserve any value Tebow has on the trade market. We all know that Tebow will be gone this offseason. If we were serious about giving the guy a shot, it would have been weeks ago. If we put Tebow in now and he sh*ts the bed like our offense only knows how to do, taht will destroy any trade value he has. At least right now, the last image that anyone has is Tebow leading the Broncos back from utter sh*t to the playoffs and a win in the playoffs. Just my opinion.

yup, but same issue with McElroy IMHO

I don't think there's any great conspiracy.

My best guess is either, a.) Sanchez is actually the best QB on the roster (as bad as he is, this is still likely), b.) Rex was under pressure to keep Sanchez in the lineup due to his contract, or c.) some combination of a.) and b.).

If he was afraid of Tebow or McElroy winning, Sanchez would be starting this week.

Given Mark's contract, it was perfectly reasonable to give him a shot at redemption against a couple bad teams on the road. It's still in the Jets interest that Sanchez work out - however more remote that possibility becomes. They might still be giving him a chance if they didn't think the home crowd might riot. Sanchez may not like being pulled, but it's in his best interest at this point.

So I'm curious to know if those people who think it's so horrible for 2nd-string QB Tim Tebow to be passed over for 3rd-string QB Greg McElroy found it equally unforgivable when last season in Denver 2nd-string QB Brady Quinn was passed over for 3rd-string QB Tim Tebow?

good point but doenst make it right. The Jets ****ed him over imo.

I think it is the opposite. the reason he is sitting Tebow is to preserve any value Tebow has on the trade market. We all know that Tebow will be gone this offseason. If we were serious about giving the guy a shot, it would have been weeks ago. If we put Tebow in now and he sh*ts the bed like our offense only knows how to do, taht will destroy any trade value he has. At least right now, the last image that anyone has is Tebow leading the Broncos back from utter sh*t to the playoffs and a win in the playoffs. Just my opinion.

That's probably a valid point as well. Bypassing him kills two birds with one stone. Maintains whatever trade value he might have, and gives them a look at McElroy, who'll actually probably be on the rosater next year.

good point but doenst make it right. The Jets ****ed him over imo.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I can totally get Tebow being pissed at Tanny assuming there were promises made during the negotiation process. That said, Rex can't let himself be handcuffed by that (especially if the rumors are true that Rex never wanted him here to begin with) and the move is hardly unprecedented give Tebow managed to pull off the same thing himself just last year.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I can totally get Tebow being pissed at Tanny assuming there were promises made during the negotiation process. That said, Rex can't let himself be handcuffed by that (especially if the rumors are true that Rex never wanted him here to begin with) and the move is hardly unprecedented give Tebow managed to pull off the same thing himself just last year.

Yeah, that ship sailed weeks ago when we could have put Tebow in there in search of his "magic" ability to win games while being a terrible QB...

Heard Shannon Sharpe this morning talking to the backup guys on the Fan this morning. Basically, Shannon was saying that one thing he learned during his years broadcasting with Steve Young was that when you have a QB controversy between a veteran and a backup, you let the veteran defend or ruin his right to start. My gut tells me that we didn't have anyone in the bullpen that the staff trusted enough to unseat Sanchez.

I think that's what people don't want to accept. Everybody loves to say "The Jets see Tebow in practice everyday and know he can't be an NFL QB" but they ignore the fact the same coaches see McElroy in practice too and proceeded to not suit up the guy in 13 out of 14 games. I don't get the decision at all. Even when Tebow was hurt and wasn't going to play, they didn't suit up McElroy. On what level does that make sense at all?

It seems the last two games are throw away games.. Ryan knows he's out, Tanny knows he's out, and they never wanted Tebow around in the first place. So start the kid who you never bother to suit up. It's the who cares at this point instead of lets see what we have philosophy. And for whatever reason, they really can't stand Tebow and if Tebow wins, the media would have a field day. If he loses, it's already assumed he sucks as a QB. McElroy, win or lose, nobody cares.

So I'm curious to know if those people who think it's so horrible for 2nd-string QB Tim Tebow to be passed over for 3rd-string QB Greg McElroy found it equally unforgivable when last season in Denver 2nd-string QB Brady Quinn was passed over for 3rd-string QB Tim Tebow?

Karma is a bitch I reckon...

I think that's what people don't want to accept. Everybody loves to say "The Jets see Tebow in practice everyday and know he can't be an NFL QB" but they ignore the fact the same coaches see McElroy in practice too and proceeded to not suit up the guy in 13 out of 14 games. I don't get the decision at all. Even when Tebow was hurt and wasn't going to play, they didn't suit up McElroy. On what level does that make sense at all?

It seems the last two games are throw away games.. Ryan knows he's out, Tanny knows he's out, and they never wanted Tebow around in the first place. So start the kid who you never bother to suit up. It's the who cares at this point instead of lets see what we have philosophy. And for whatever reason, they really can't stand Tebow and if Tebow wins, the media would have a field day. If he loses, it's already assumed he sucks as a QB. McElroy, win or lose, nobody cares.

should they deal McKelroy in the offseason, or not ? Are the two drives he had *Tebow moments* only, based on a pissed off crowd and a team that was through with Sanchez long ago, that obviously played twice as hard for him ?

The rub still lies in my opinion, that the same baffling principles that guided the decision to keep Sanchez in the pocket are still being used to put Gmac in.. There also has to be the other issue that Tebow is not comfortable playing the type of offense suited to Sanchez, and it is near impossible (unless you are Harbaugh) to switch between the two offenses..or Sparano and company can't see through his shades propped up on the bench in his location. (On a side note, I don't think dumping Smith for Kapernick was as much an dump on Smith as it was a dump on conventional offenses into something more of a hybrid option offense)

Seattle, San Fran and the Redskins are all using a suitable offense for Tebow.. Sanchez and any other pocket only passer would get crushed (even more) trying to run a spread option offense..

The reason why:

McElroy will be on the team next year if he shows he can run the huddle for a spot game here or there. Tebow will not be here. We therefore need to find out more about McElroy in live action than Tebow.

What Rex should have said:

"It's an easier transition to Greg's style of play than Tim's. I have good reasons to put either one in there because they've both earned a chance. But with 2 games left on the season and this next one being after a shortened week, it's an easier transition for our entire offense to make. We'd really have to redo our entire offense for Tim like Denver did last year, and unfortunately for Tim, right now there just isn't time. But I have all the confidence in the world in Tim (blah blah blah)..."

The reason why:

McElroy will be on the team next year if he shows he can run the huddle for a spot game here or there. Tebow will not be here. We therefore need to find out more about McElroy in live action than Tebow.

"It's an easier transition to Greg's style of play than Tim's. I have good reasons to put either one in there because they've both earned a chance. But with 2 games left on the season and this next one being after a shortened week, it's an easier transition for our entire offense to make. We'd really have to redo our entire offense for Tim like Denver did last year, and unfortunately for Tim, right now there just isn't time. But I have all the confidence in the world in Tim (blah blah blah)..."

yup

The reason why:

The reason why this theory doesn't work is because Tebow was the #2 QB all season long. Greg was inactive 13 out of 14 games. Even in a game where Tebow wasn't going to play due to injury, Greg was inactive and Tebow was the backup.

So if the offense was far too complex for Tebow to be a backup or start, why was he the backup the entire season and Greg never even suited up? That's the part that makes no sense and there is no excuse. If Tebow was never good enough to even be the backup, in reality, what does that say about McElroy that he wasn't even good enough to suit up?

I doubt they are really 'looking' at Greg to prove anything at this point. Maybe he's playing for the 3rd string job or something, like it's preseason. If most of the staff are long gone and they are looking for a QB in the draft or through a trade or free agency, no matter what Greg does in these two games will matter. If he's terrible, he's probably cut anyway. If he's great, they'll keep him around to be the 3rd stringer.

To me it's one of those, "Who cares I'm fired" moments for the coaches. And they never liked Tebow or wanted him here, so why bother giving him a chance.

What it really does is screw up any trade they could have had for Tebow. Everybody at this point assumes Tebow can't be an NFL QB. So what would they have lost by putting him out there the last two games? If he stinks, people already don't think much of him as a QB. If he's Average, but they win, some teams might think he is a winner. Jets fans want to hope Greg is something more than he's not. There is a reason the kid was inactive all season long. So starting him isn't going to do anything for the future of the Jets. Not starting Tebow just means they probably won't be able to trade him at all. Would they have gotten anything for Tebow? Maybe a late draft pick, but that's better than nothing. And what do they do with Sanchez? I just don't see any team wanting Sanchez either.

The reason why this theory doesn't work is because Tebow was the #2 QB all season long. Greg was inactive 13 out of 14 games. Even in a game where Tebow wasn't going to play due to injury, Greg was inactive and Tebow was the backup.

So if the offense was far too complex for Tebow to be a backup or start, why was he the backup the entire season and Greg never even suited up? That's the part that makes no sense and there is no excuse. If Tebow was never good enough to even be the backup, in reality, what does that say about McElroy that he wasn't even good enough to suit up?

I doubt they are really 'looking' at Greg to prove anything at this point. Maybe he's playing for the 3rd string job or something, like it's preseason. If most of the staff are long gone and they are looking for a QB in the draft or through a trade or free agency, no matter what Greg does in these two games will matter. If he's terrible, he's probably cut anyway. If he's great, they'll keep him around to be the 3rd stringer.

To me it's one of those, "Who cares I'm fired" moments for the coaches. And they never liked Tebow or wanted him here, so why bother giving him a chance.

What it really does is screw up any trade they could have had for Tebow. Everybody at this point assumes Tebow can't be an NFL QB. So what would they have lost by putting him out there the last two games? If he stinks, people already don't think much of him as a QB. If he's Average, but they win, some teams might think he is a winner. Jets fans want to hope Greg is something more than he's not. There is a reason the kid was inactive all season long. So starting him isn't going to do anything for the future of the Jets. Not starting Tebow just means they probably won't be able to trade him at all. Would they have gotten anything for Tebow? Maybe a late draft pick, but that's better than nothing. And what do they do with Sanchez? I just don't see any team wanting Sanchez either.

Nah. I never said it had anything to do with the game being too complex. I said it's because they aren't bringing him back in 2013.

Tebow was #2 chiefly because using him for those couple of "secret weapon" useless plays supposedly forced every opponent to gameplan for him, which would not have happened with McElroy.

Plus they gave up a pick & money for him. There would have been even more media scrutiny than he already attracted as teh #2 for demoting him behind a 7th rounder who'd never seen live action before. Like there wasn't already enough to deal with for sticking with Sanchez and his dopey extension all season already.

Plus we cut Stanton loose a week after we signed him because of the instantaneous announcement that Tebow was #2 and Stanton was #3 before either had held a football in practice.

Since there was no chance of Sanchez getting benched in the first half of the season no matter what, if Sanchez got injured in October I think it's likely Tebow would have gotten the nod over McElroy.

The difference between now and earlier on is a full season of media attention that the locker room didn't think too highly of, and failed stupid attempts to rotate QBs in & out like teams rotate RBs, in addition to likely seeing him fail in practice for a full season, has convinced the Jets to part ways with Tebow next year. Or so I believe. There's already this alleged leak that they'll look to get Sanchez off the team for next year.

Tebow is not the cure at #2 to back up next year's starter. I think they now realize what they didn't earlier. So if Sanchez's roster spot isn't safe despite the massive cap implications, I seriously doubt Tebow's is. Further, they're going to be in that desperate cap situation to cut dead weight wherever they can, and Tebow isn't worth his millions, so there's only Greg McElroy left.

I don't think they envision McElroy as next year's starter. But do they keep McElroy as our #2 or is he just the #3 for another year (or is he not even worth being the #3)? Jets intend to find out by seeing him in live action for the last 2 games, because he's the only one of the three who they might want to have return in 2013.

The reason why:

Plus, if they were ever going to go with Tebow at ANY time they would have an entirely different offense for him to run once in the game and it would have been around the time of the bye week to install it. That said, our "offensive coordinator" probably doesn't have the wherewithal to even run one offense successfully nonetheless two. He's the worst hire we've had in a long time. An that's saying something.

Plus, if they were ever going to go with Tebow at ANY time they would have an entirely different offense for him to run once in the game and it would have been around the time of the bye week to install it. That said, our "offensive coordinator" probably doesn't have the wherewithal to even run one offense successfully nonetheless two. He's the worst hire we've had in a long time. An that's saying something.

Which is what I was saying. It was different with Denver last year, who pulled Orton mid-game in week 5 before their week 6 bye. Also all signals point to Denver doing it because they expected failure, not victories (let alone a playoff victory on the road vs the 12-win Steelers). Plus Fox knew Elway wasn't going to hold him responsible for year 1 of inheriting Orton/Tebow.

Hell, they probably figured the move made them a serious front-runner to suck for Luck.

Nah. I never said it had anything to do with the game being too complex. I said it's because they aren't bringing him back in 2013.

Tebow was #2 chiefly because using him for those couple of "secret weapon" useless plays supposedly forced every opponent to gameplan for him, which would not have happened with McElroy.

Plus they gave up a pick & money for him. There would have been even more media scrutiny than he already attracted as teh #2 for demoting him behind a 7th rounder who'd never seen live action before. Like there wasn't already enough to deal with for sticking with Sanchez and his dopey extension all season already.

Plus we cut Stanton loose a week after we signed him because of the instantaneous announcement that Tebow was #2 and Stanton was #3 before either had held a football in practice.

Since there was no chance of Sanchez getting benched in the first half of the season no matter what, if Sanchez got injured in October I think it's likely Tebow would have gotten the nod over McElroy.

The difference between now and earlier on is a full season of media attention that the locker room didn't think too highly of, and failed stupid attempts to rotate QBs in & out like teams rotate RBs, in addition to likely seeing him fail in practice for a full season, has convinced the Jets to part ways with Tebow next year. Or so I believe. There's already this alleged leak that they'll look to get Sanchez off the team for next year.

Tebow is not the cure at #2 to back up next year's starter. I think they now realize what they didn't earlier. So if Sanchez's roster spot isn't safe despite the massive cap implications, I seriously doubt Tebow's is. Further, they're going to be in that desperate cap situation to cut dead weight wherever they can, and Tebow isn't worth his millions, so there's only Greg McElroy left.

I don't think they envision McElroy as next year's starter. But do they keep McElroy as our #2 or is he just the #3 for another year (or is he not even worth being the #3)? Jets intend to find out by seeing him in live action for the last 2 games, because he's the only one of the three who they might want to have return in 2013.

That makes perfect sense.

Archived