•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time For A Change?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JetNation

JetNation

Transition Player

• Members
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Post image for Time For A Change?

It was a fitting ending for the New York Jets.  Their playoff hopes vanished on Monday Night Football in an embarrassing fashion in front of a national football audience no less.  Perhaps Jon Gruden’s post game comments summed up not only this game, but the entire Jets season.  “Five turnovers, squandered opportunities, mismanaged situations, amazing night of futility”.  The post game crew and every major sports channel spent most of their evening mocking the play, players and management of this football team.  The Jets might be the laughing stock of the NFL with Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum as the punch line.  From sticking with Sanchez to acquiring Tim Tebow, even with the deactivation of Greg McElroy, it is pretty clear this Coach-GM duo are woefully ill equipped to manage an NFL franchise.  A few weeks ago, when for Jets fans the Sanchez nightmare finally appeared to be over, Ryan decided to go back to Sanchez because he felt that was the Jets’ best chance to win.  Last night was the direct result of that decision.  I am not sure you need any more reason than that to make a break, but there are so many more reasons,  The time management, the sideline confusion, the penalties, the team’s effort, I could go on, but I think the point is made.  I can’t imagine a scenario that would allow Woody Johnson to begin 2013 with two gentlemen that have made sports professionals laugh, and made the Jets loyal followers so frustrated.

Is there another coach in the NFL that would have such a lack of understanding of the goings on of a football game that a sideline arm pump celebration would be deemed an appropriate reaction to an apponents botched punt?  Not since the Pete Carroll choke sign have I been made to feel uncomfortable by someone associated with the Jets.  But it helps to clarify why after Kyle Wilson has been burnt only to be saved by a poorly thrown ball, he too celebrates as if he accomplished something.  This idea that a team takes on the personality of the coach is confirmed as something more than an idea with the Jets.  Very few Jets seem to say the right things, take any ownership, or demand greatness from themselves or their teammates.  Ryan labeled himself a competitor, but walking off the field with a scowl while uttering obscenities under your breath for the world to see, is not the act of a competitor. It is more the way an immature child behaves when they are told to get off Xbox and do their homework.  Competitors are gracious, they are humble, they pay great attention to detail, they make others great, they stay focused, they contain their frustration and they behave with professionalism.  There was a reason the camera immediately took a tight shot on Ryan as he walked to the post game handshake, because everyone has come to expect ridiculousness, and once again Ryan didn’t disappoint.

It is a sad state of affairs when half, if not more, of JetNation are rooting for the team to lose and end their playoff push.  The sooner we can finally admit this is not working, the sooner we can get to talking about the future.   As often as this team has shocked me, I am going to speculate that the off season will bring many changes.  A new general manager, a new head coach, and a new quarterback could be on the horizon.  The usual agony of waiting from February to September for football always goes a little faster when the off season brings the anticipation of change.  I am not suggesting it’s a substitute for winning, but the fresh start a new coach brings always breaths a little life into a depressed fan base. It is a little early to start a wish list, and it always looms in the back of every fan that at some point we could sit with the Daily News or our laptop, jaw dropped in disbelief, and see that those responsible for one of the most painful years in recent history could be retained.

But that’s not possible……right?

#2 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,954 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Ryan decided to go back to Sanchez because he felt that was the Jets’ best chance to win. Last night was the direct result of that decision. I am not sure you need any more reason than that to make a break, but there are so many more reasons, The time management, the sideline confusion, the penalties, the team’s effort, I could go on, but I think the point is made.

while i agree the decision to back to Sanchez was fire-able, i take exception to the "time management, confusion, penalties, effort" part. The Jets aren't very penalized. Rex actually does a good job with clock management and challenges. The defense always brings a high effort (blocking a FG is the ultimate high effort play). So yeah while i agree Rex didn't handle the Qb situation correctly, and that's fire-able, i think he does a good job in other phases. Look at how many penalties the Titans committed the other night, that's a team with penalty problems. Or Herman Edwards era Jets were a time management disaster. Rex doesn't have those problems under his watch.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#3 dbatesman

dbatesman

Failgoat 2.0

• Members
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Rex actually does a good job with clock management

Posted Image

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#4 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,954 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

fans dont agree with the calls but yes sometimes taking a knee with 3 time outs on your own 10 before halftime is the right call. the point of clock management is to get more time to run plays, the offense is so dysfunctional, more plays = more mistakes. Rex has been all about burning the clock off, and I don't blame him.

Edited by bitonti, 19 December 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#5 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,407 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

bashing Rex for swearing as he walked off the field is absolutely ridiculous. Every NFL coach sans Tony Dungy has been caught on camera spewing f bombs and alike.

#6 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

The media as got what they wanted it's a Dram for them, we are aweful but aweful enough to maybe even be 8-8 not 0-16, imagine how much diffrent it would be with just an average NFL Q.B.
Give him another chance, it's Fecking Tanny who needs to be Shot, burn't, then thrown under the bus!

#7 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 7,481 posts
  • LocationNorth America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: A man must have a code. 

#8 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Rex has been a good DC, but other than that, he's been average, even below average. They never improved. The talent got worse. THe QB situation became a joke. The offense stinks. The Defense is good against bad teams, but has stunk against good teams.

The Jets became a laughing stock because Rex was arrogant, like to make predictions, and his team followed suit. Except they really never were more than an 8-8 team under Ryan. And now it's a rebuild. I like Rex, but he's a DC, nothing more.

#9 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I posted this in another thread -- my 2 cents on the only way things can work if Rex sticks around. Otherwise, expect more of the same nonsense:

I agree that having an average QB would have produced different results. But the bottom line is Rex is a weak HC. Weakness hires weakness -- that is why Tony Sparano is (was) our OC. If Rex is to stay around it must be under a strong, authoritative GM that comes with a football pedigree. Also, the new OC should not be subordinate to Rex. Call it whatever you like -- Assistant Head Coach, Co-Head Coach -- we need a skilled leader on the other side of the ball who is his own man. Otherwise, just take a Ginsu the whole organization and start over.

• Posted Image
  • Posted Image

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#10 Ken Shroy

Ken Shroy

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • LocationLong Island - Florida

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Rex has been a good DC, but other than that, he's been average, even below average. They never improved. The talent got worse. THe QB situation became a joke. The offense stinks. The Defense is good against bad teams, but has stunk against good teams.

The Jets became a laughing stock because Rex was arrogant, like to make predictions, and his team followed suit. Except they really never were more than an 8-8 team under Ryan. And now it's a rebuild. I like Rex, but he's a DC, nothing more.

Guess you missed his 1st 2 years.

#11 GangGreen25

GangGreen25

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

while i agree the decision to back to Sanchez was fire-able, i take exception to the "time management, confusion, penalties, effort" part. The Jets aren't very penalized. Rex actually does a good job with clock management and challenges. The defense always brings a high effort (blocking a FG is the ultimate high effort play). So yeah while i agree Rex didn't handle the Qb situation correctly, and that's fire-able, i think he does a good job in other phases. Look at how many penalties the Titans committed the other night, that's a team with penalty problems. Or Herman Edwards era Jets were a time management disaster. Rex doesn't have those problems under his watch.

Seriously. The delay of games. the too many men on the field penalties, guys running on and off at the last minute. Do you notice how often Sanchez gets in the huddle with 15 seconds left on the play clock. he does that so there are not 12 men in the huddle becasue there is frequently substitution confusion. he is a train wreck. Great coordinator, needs work as the head guy.

#12 GangGreen25

GangGreen25

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

bashing Rex for swearing as he walked off the field is absolutely ridiculous. Every NFL coach sans Tony Dungy has been caught on camera spewing f bombs and alike.

Not when they should be looking in mirror to find the problems. And I watch all day on Sunday and would not say that happens all the time. The point is fix the damn thing or shut up. I am not some boy scout who finds it offensive. What I find offensive is being the problem and acting that way.

#13 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about removing Sanchez from the banner. Bring in Laron!

#14 California Cajun

California Cajun

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

This organization has developed a dysfunctional image, and they seem to compound it with every comment they make. If they had a championship roster, they still couldn't succeed under this kind of management. I think the worst thing about the Tebow situation was trading for a player that didn't fit. The second worst thing was making him #2 and skipping to #3 when replacing #1.

If the owner is to blame, there isn't much hope. If the owner's employees are making all the bonehead moves, he needs to find better people. And not only better from a football perspective. The fans need an organization they can believe in.

Attached File  chores016.gif   3.09KB   0 downloads

#15 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,954 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about removing Sanchez from the banner. Bring in Laron!

the sad thing about this statement is that next year Laron is unsigned and Mark is due 8.25 mil.

#16 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,954 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Seriously. The delay of games. the too many men on the field penalties, guys running on and off at the last minute. Do you notice how often Sanchez gets in the huddle with 15 seconds left on the play clock. he does that so there are not 12 men in the huddle becasue there is frequently substitution confusion. he is a train wreck. Great coordinator, needs work as the head guy.

the decision to hire Sparano is also fire-able. I still like rex.

#17 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 27,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Rex's act at the end of that game was embarrassing. He was playing to the cameras, trying to portray a man somehow surprised that his offense played poorly despite the awesome coaching they get. Disingenuous and sad.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#18 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Guess you missed his 1st 2 years.

The Jets were an 8-8 team the first year, got lucky cause the Colts forfeited an entire second half of a game, and then they had a great playoff run. It wasn't like he did a bang up job that season. They just had a good playoff run, caught some breaks, and then lost to the Colts in the AFC Championship.

The second season was his best, but they were too overhyped. THe defense wasn't as good and they got blown out on primetime to the Patriots. It was one of those, "same old Jets" moments. THen they beat the Colts, played a hell of a game and beat down the Patriots, and then didn't bother to show up for most of that Steelers game.

So really, Ryan has had three out of four seasons where the Jets were an 8-8 team. And that's assuming they win the last two games this year. And the team has just gotten worse and worse, talent wise.

Edited by pedro55, 21 December 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#19 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,613 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hoping to get that done soon.

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#20 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hoping to get that done soon.

Posted Image

#21 courtnj18

courtnj18

Rookie Free Agent

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 623 posts
  • LocationNJ/NY

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

I believe it was the first or second away game this year - I can't remember exactly but the station the game was playing on DID NOT bleep out or delay broadcasting when the entire crowd chanted "bullsh*t." It was about Tebow.... Clearly, who gives a sh*t about cursing. I'm sure if he cursed for happiness after a win there would not be an issue.

#22 courtnj18

courtnj18

Rookie Free Agent

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 623 posts
  • LocationNJ/NY

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

the sad thing about this statement is that next year Laron is unsigned and Mark is due 8.25 mil.

I doubt Landry will be back - after his awesome year someone will pay him more for sure.

#23 GangGreen25

GangGreen25

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

the decision to hire Sparano is also fire-able. I still like rex.

I want to like Rex. I would love a fouled mouth guy like him to have all the success in the world. I think he just get too emotionally involved with his players. I can't recall one time where he has truly called a guy out for some lousy play and there has been planety over the past two years. I think he can take a great team far, because guys will go play for him. But I am not sure he is right for a mediocre team. I will root for the guy wherever he goes but where the Jets are right now, they need a change. Had they waited a but longer, I think they would have jumped on Haley pver Sparano. Wonder if that changes anything???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users