WR Stephen Hill To IR, Call Up Fletcher

JetNation

Just in case you weren’t aware the season is over aside for jockeying for position in the draft, so with that in mind the Jets have decided to call it a season for rookie WR Stephen Hill(ligament sprain) by placing him on injured reserve and have called up CB Donnie Fletcher from the practice squad to take Hill’s spot in the roster. Hill finishes his rookie campaign with 21 catches for 252 yards and 3 touchdowns.

What did he show you this year that would make you think he is going to be worth his draft slot?

1st and 2nd round WR's for 2012

51 707 3 - Blackmon

31 349 1 - Floyd

62 586 4 - Wright

0 0 0 - Jenkins

11 156 2 - Quick

21 252 3 - Hill

19 256 3 - Jeffrey

22 310 2 - Broyles

15 108 0 - Randle

Hill has easily been the worst of that bunch.

Yeah, he's probably going to suck. Hurts more when you throw in guys like Chris Givens and TY Hilton who were 3rd rounders and had better rookie campaigns. However, its still not uncommon for a 2nd round WR not to show much.

Yeah, he's probably going to suck. Hurts more when you throw in guys like Chris Givens and TY Hilton who were 3rd rounders and had better rookie campaigns. However, its still not uncommon for a 2nd round WR not to show much.

Coples was going to take some time to develop in the first round. Can't go back to back time to develop guys. Not if you want a contending team. Also, his hands are about as good as a colonoscopy and even that can catch some things.

A couple things working in Hill's favor:

1. Playing with Sanchez makes every receiver look awful.

2. Sparano.

3. Hill doesn't have an NFL receiver's body yet, and he has no technique. I can't remember who it was, but an ex-player was asked about Hill and he was disgusted by how raw he was--that Hill didn't run or cut like an NFL player, etc. It was pretty damning.

4. Rex is so stupid for gifting Hill a starting slot from the day he was drafted. Total malfeasance. A new coach and a new coordinator will wisely pin Hill to the bench and make him work his way onto the field--a novel concept in RexWorld.

4. Rex is so stupid for gifting Hill a starting slot from the day he was drafted. Total malfeasance. A new coach and a new coordinator will wisely pin Hill to the bench and make him work his way onto the field--a novel concept in RexWorld.

Gifting a rookie a starting slot without cause or reason? Where have I heard that before?

Coples was going to take some time to develop in the first round. Can't go back to back time to develop guys. Not if you want a contending team. Also, his hands are about as good as a colonoscopy and even that can catch some things.

Ha! I'm not saying he's good. Just saying thats not uncommon production from a 2nd round pick.

And I think Coples was thought to be NFL ready. He dominated the Senior Bowl and graded out extremely high. He's been pretty effective when in the game.

A couple things working in Hill's favor:

1. Playing with Sanchez makes every receiver look awful.

2. Sparano.

3. Hill doesn't have an NFL receiver's body yet, and he has no technique. I can't remember who it was, but an ex-player was asked about Hill and he was disgusted by how raw he was--that Hill didn't run or cut like an NFL player, etc. It was pretty damning.

Not sure how you can blame Rex, I'd say its Tanny's fault for bringing in Chaz Schilens of all the FA WR's that were out there.

And I think Coples was thought to be NFL ready. He dominated the Senior Bowl and graded out extremely high. He's been pretty effective when in the game.

Not sure how you can blame Rex, I'd say its Tanny's fault for bringing in Chaz Schilens of all the FA WR's that were out there.

Hill's not as good as Chaz Schilens.

Hill has easily been the worst of that bunch.

He only played in like 7 games.. right? What more would you expect?

Don't understand why you guys are so pissed at him, he had a lot of injuries this year... Full season and he would have gotten 400+ with 4 TD's, even with Sanchez throwing to him...

He only played in like 7 games.. right? What more would you expect?

Don't understand why you guys are so pissed at him, he had a lot of injuries this year... Full season and he would have gotten 400+ with 4 TD's, even with Sanchez throwing to him...

All those other rookies were backups or WR 3's for the most part. Hill was a WR2 behind Jeremy freakin kerly and still couldn't do a damned thing besides run bad routes, drop footballs and screw up the playbook. He's a straight line runner with bad hands. Stephen "Lam" Hill. Bad pick. Thank god Coples has flashed, I couldn't take another Wilson-Ducasse draft class.

All those other rookies were backups or WR 3's for the most part. Hill was a WR2 behind Jeremy freakin kerly and still couldn't do a damned thing besides run bad routes, drop footballs and screw up the playbook. He's a straight line runner with bad hands. Stephen "Lam" Hill. Bad pick. Thank god Coples has flashed, I couldn't take another Wilson-Ducasse draft class.

He was originally WR3 or WR4 before Holmes was hurt. Not sure how many games he played as WR2, if any. I remind you that he was hurt for half or more of the season and Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the league (not exaggerating, he is) so I have 0 confidence that he would have hit Hill even if he was wide open.

1st and 2nd round WR's for 2012

51 707 3 - Blackmon

31 349 1 - Floyd

62 586 4 - Wright

0 0 0 - Jenkins

11 156 2 - Quick

21 252 3 - Hill

19 256 3 - Jeffrey

22 310 2 - Broyles

15 108 0 - Randle

When you look at these numbers you wonder why a GM would go into a season counting on anything more than #4 receiver numbers from a guy like Hill, but we handed him the starting job. Just stupid.

Hill's raw and shouldn't have been a starter this year but again, I sort of blame Tanny for this. Who else was there to play? Was there any other legit option on the roster?

I wouldn't give up on Hill after an uneven rookie campaign - he's big and if they can teach him to catch and run, he'll be all right. He could probably learn a lot from Braylon. But get rid of this Sanjay Lal guy as WR coach. seriously. the WRs have looked super awful this year, and while a lot of that was Sanchez, it wasn't ALL Sanchez.

What a waste of a 2nd round pick. I have no faith in this guy and didn't want him in the first place. Can we please bring in some REAL talent evaluators? PLEASE?

So you going to fire the scout in NC who recommended Hill after seeing him catch 2 balls in 2 yrs lol mon

So you going to fire the scout in NC who recommended Hill after seeing him catch 2 balls in 2 yrs lol mon

I am very proud the Jets trust me and took my observations on Hill to heart. Obviously I am not tyhe reason they drafted him. Rex said my notes were spot on :) I have hope Hill will be fine over time. He didnt run a lot of routes at GT and that is main issue now. He is concentrating so much on the route , coverage etc, he is losing mindset on the ball coming in. Jerry Rice, who had a great rookie year, also led league that year in dropped balls. He has said that the reason was he was thinking so much on the routes, he was only honing in at last second on ball. Lets hope we see less drops next year.

But, hey, we cant be right all the time. You and I were big Sanchez supporters (arguments w/Sperm Edwards (who was right), LOL). Its a crapshoot sometimes.

Anyways, have a Happy safe Holidays. :)

When you look at these numbers you wonder why a GM would go into a season counting on anything more than #4 receiver numbers from a guy like Hill, but we handed him the starting job. Just stupid.

I don't think it's that odd. The Jets were supposed to be a run first team. Hill was only supposed to be the 4th option. I think they excpected Kerley to catch more balls than him, though Kerley would play slot to Hill's WR2. Then Holmes and Keller. They brought in Shilens who Lal supposedly loved and he could have been considered blossoming into a starter. Sort of they way they hoped on McCareins [ugh!] and Austin [too bad we didn't swing that] Not the best philosophy in the world, but I don't see anything earth shatteringly stupid there and aside from the injuries not too bad considering the financial situation.

why are you so continually mean spirited and attacking? I am obviously not the 'real' scout, so why be so nasty. I dont really understand that. I hope its not some reelection on some stuff personally going on. Try to smile and be more positive, it really helps, and got me through some tough times in last 2 years. :)

Kid may still prove out, too early to tell.

Anyways, have a Happy safe Holidays. :)

EVD left. We are all out of positivity now!

Archived