•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WR Stephen Hill To IR, Call Up Fletcher

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 JetNation

JetNation

Transition Player

• Members
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just in case you weren’t aware the season is over aside for jockeying for position in the draft, so with that in mind the Jets have decided to call it a season for rookie WR Stephen Hill(ligament sprain) by placing him on injured reserve and have called up CB Donnie Fletcher from the practice squad to take Hill’s spot in the roster. Hill finishes his rookie campaign with 21 catches for 252 yards and 3 touchdowns.

#2 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

What a waste of a 2nd round pick. I have no faith in this guy and didn't want him in the first place. Can we please bring in some REAL talent evaluators? PLEASE?

#3 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,928 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I hope this doesn't hurt him in the Rookie of the Year voting.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#4 Ken Shroy

Ken Shroy

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • LocationLong Island - Florida

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

What a waste of a 2nd round pick. I have no faith in this guy and didn't want him in the first place. Can we please bring in some REAL talent evaluators? PLEASE?

I think its a little early to give up on him.

#5 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

I think its a little early to give up on him.

What did he show you this year that would make you think he is going to be worth his draft slot?

#6 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 37,503 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

What did he show you this year that would make you think he is going to be worth his draft slot?

1st and 2nd round WR's for 2012

51 707 3 - Blackmon
31 349 1 - Floyd
62 586 4 - Wright
0 0 0 - Jenkins
11 156 2 - Quick
21 252 3 - Hill
19 256 3 - Jeffrey
22 310 2 - Broyles
15 108 0 - Randle
Posted Image

#7 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,928 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

51 707 3 - Blackmon
31 349 1 - Floyd
62 586 4 - Wright
0 0 0 - Jenkins
11 156 2 - Quick
21 252 3 - Hill
19 256 3 - Jeffrey
22 310 2 - Broyles
15 108 0 - Randle

Hill has easily been the worst of that bunch.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#8 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 37,503 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, he's probably going to suck. Hurts more when you throw in guys like Chris Givens and TY Hilton who were 3rd rounders and had better rookie campaigns. However, its still not uncommon for a 2nd round WR not to show much.
Posted Image

#9 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, he's probably going to suck. Hurts more when you throw in guys like Chris Givens and TY Hilton who were 3rd rounders and had better rookie campaigns. However, its still not uncommon for a 2nd round WR not to show much.

Coples was going to take some time to develop in the first round. Can't go back to back time to develop guys. Not if you want a contending team. Also, his hands are about as good as a colonoscopy and even that can catch some things.

#10 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,928 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

A couple things working in Hill's favor:

1. Playing with Sanchez makes every receiver look awful.

2. Sparano.

3. Hill doesn't have an NFL receiver's body yet, and he has no technique. I can't remember who it was, but an ex-player was asked about Hill and he was disgusted by how raw he was--that Hill didn't run or cut like an NFL player, etc. It was pretty damning.

4. Rex is so stupid for gifting Hill a starting slot from the day he was drafted. Total malfeasance. A new coach and a new coordinator will wisely pin Hill to the bench and make him work his way onto the field--a novel concept in RexWorld.

#11 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

4. Rex is so stupid for gifting Hill a starting slot from the day he was drafted. Total malfeasance. A new coach and a new coordinator will wisely pin Hill to the bench and make him work his way onto the field--a novel concept in RexWorld.

Gifting a rookie a starting slot without cause or reason? Where have I heard that before?

#12 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 37,503 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Coples was going to take some time to develop in the first round. Can't go back to back time to develop guys. Not if you want a contending team. Also, his hands are about as good as a colonoscopy and even that can catch some things.

Ha! I'm not saying he's good. Just saying thats not uncommon production from a 2nd round pick.

And I think Coples was thought to be NFL ready. He dominated the Senior Bowl and graded out extremely high. He's been pretty effective when in the game.

A couple things working in Hill's favor:

1. Playing with Sanchez makes every receiver look awful.

2. Sparano.

3. Hill doesn't have an NFL receiver's body yet, and he has no technique. I can't remember who it was, but an ex-player was asked about Hill and he was disgusted by how raw he was--that Hill didn't run or cut like an NFL player, etc. It was pretty damning.

Not sure how you can blame Rex, I'd say its Tanny's fault for bringing in Chaz Schilens of all the FA WR's that were out there.
Posted Image

#13 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,928 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

And I think Coples was thought to be NFL ready. He dominated the Senior Bowl and graded out extremely high. He's been pretty effective when in the game.

Not sure how you can blame Rex, I'd say its Tanny's fault for bringing in Chaz Schilens of all the FA WR's that were out there.

Hill's not as good as Chaz Schilens.

#14 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hill's not as good as Chaz Schilens.

He's not as good as Chaz Bono.

#15 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,928 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

He's not as good as Chaz Bono.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

#16 LionelRichie

LionelRichie

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

unfortunately Hill peaked in week 1.

#17 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

He only played in like 7 games.. right? What more would you expect?

Don't understand why you guys are so pissed at him, he had a lot of injuries this year... Full season and he would have gotten 400+ with 4 TD's, even with Sanchez throwing to him...

Edited by stoicsentry, 20 December 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#18 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Just call him "ROY".

#19 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

He only played in like 7 games.. right? What more would you expect?

Don't understand why you guys are so pissed at him, he had a lot of injuries this year... Full season and he would have gotten 400+ with 4 TD's, even with Sanchez throwing to him...

All those other rookies were backups or WR 3's for the most part. Hill was a WR2 behind Jeremy freakin kerly and still couldn't do a damned thing besides run bad routes, drop footballs and screw up the playbook. He's a straight line runner with bad hands. Stephen "Lam" Hill. Bad pick. Thank god Coples has flashed, I couldn't take another Wilson-Ducasse draft class.

#20 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

All those other rookies were backups or WR 3's for the most part. Hill was a WR2 behind Jeremy freakin kerly and still couldn't do a damned thing besides run bad routes, drop footballs and screw up the playbook. He's a straight line runner with bad hands. Stephen "Lam" Hill. Bad pick. Thank god Coples has flashed, I couldn't take another Wilson-Ducasse draft class.

He was originally WR3 or WR4 before Holmes was hurt. Not sure how many games he played as WR2, if any. I remind you that he was hurt for half or more of the season and Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the league (not exaggerating, he is) so I have 0 confidence that he would have hit Hill even if he was wide open.

#21 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,894 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

He is very raw. No doubt about it. But I will wait atleast another season before Hill can be declared a bust!

#22 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

51 707 3 - Blackmon
31 349 1 - Floyd
62 586 4 - Wright
0 0 0 - Jenkins
11 156 2 - Quick
21 252 3 - Hill
19 256 3 - Jeffrey
22 310 2 - Broyles
15 108 0 - Randle

When you look at these numbers you wonder why a GM would go into a season counting on anything more than #4 receiver numbers from a guy like Hill, but we handed him the starting job. Just stupid.

#23 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,276 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hill's raw and shouldn't have been a starter this year but again, I sort of blame Tanny for this. Who else was there to play? Was there any other legit option on the roster?

I wouldn't give up on Hill after an uneven rookie campaign - he's big and if they can teach him to catch and run, he'll be all right. He could probably learn a lot from Braylon. But get rid of this Sanjay Lal guy as WR coach. seriously. the WRs have looked super awful this year, and while a lot of that was Sanchez, it wasn't ALL Sanchez.

#24 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

So you going to fire the scout in NC who recommended Hill after seeing him catch 2 balls in 2 yrs lol mon

#25 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

So you going to fire the scout in NC who recommended Hill after seeing him catch 2 balls in 2 yrs lol mon

I am very proud the Jets trust me and took my observations on Hill to heart. Obviously I am not tyhe reason they drafted him. Rex said my notes were spot on :) I have hope Hill will be fine over time. He didnt run a lot of routes at GT and that is main issue now. He is concentrating so much on the route , coverage etc, he is losing mindset on the ball coming in. Jerry Rice, who had a great rookie year, also led league that year in dropped balls. He has said that the reason was he was thinking so much on the routes, he was only honing in at last second on ball. Lets hope we see less drops next year.
But, hey, we cant be right all the time. You and I were big Sanchez supporters (arguments w/Sperm Edwards (who was right), LOL). Its a crapshoot sometimes.
Anyways, have a Happy safe Holidays. :)

Edited by SouthernJet, 21 December 2012 - 08:34 AM.

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users