Sanchez Could Prevent Trade

JetNation

All Jets fans by now have heard the numbers regarding the Mark Sanchez contract extension which was made in March of this year.  The $8.25 million guaranteed 2013 salary and the $17.15 million cap hit the Jets take if they release Sanchez.

This indescribable error in judgment has left the Jets few options but probably the one that would be best, even though it will still cost the Jets, is to trade him and hope some team is willing to pick up a portion of the 2013 salary.  Now this is a salary dump so the potential draft pick is not important in fact the Jets are likely to get nothing for Sanchez but will gladly trade off any pick for salary relief.

Sanchez is a viable backup and some team may be willing to pay something to get him but here’s a problem.  Since no team will pick up Sanchez’ contract as is, and he will not give up any salary, Sanchez will have to agree to renegotiate his contract to fit the salary portion another team is willing to take, like Jason Smith did in the Wayne Hunter trade.  Smith allowed the Rams to pay a portion of his guaranteed salary so that the Jets would receive a contract salary equal to that which Hunter was making in 2012.

Unfortunately the Sanchez contract contains no offset which means if Sanchez gets released by the Jets and signs with another team he gets the $8.25 million from them and gets paid by any other team who may sign him.  So it makes sense for Sanchez to force the Jets to release him leaving open the “double-dip” possibility rather than agreeing to restructure his deal so the trading team gets a contract salary for what they are willing to pay and the Jets pay the rest under their cap.

Here’s some possibilities:

1. Team X offers to pickup $2 million of Sanchez 2013 salary.  Jets restructure Sanchez contract so his base salary is $2 million guaranteed and pays Sanchez some bonus of $6.25 million before the trade.  So Sanchez will get all his $8.25 million guaranteed salary for 2013.
  2. Sanchez refuses to restructure the Jets release him Sanchez is paid $8.25 million from the Jets during the 2013 season and he signs with team X for $2 million.  Sanchez just made $10.25 million in 2013 by not allowing a change to his contract, since with no offset the Jets get no relief even if Sanchez signs elsewhere.
  3. The Jets could keep Sanchez and he’ll get his 2013 salary, along with being booed every home game, but is this really an option at this point?

The question is does Sanchez want out of New York badly enough that he will agree to do what it takes to be moved or will he force the Jets to keep or release him leaving the best option for the Jets gone, trading Sanchez and getting some salary relief?

The question is does Sanchez want out of New York badly enough that he will agree to do what it takes to be moved or will he force the Jets to keep or release him leaving the best option for the Jets gone, trading Sanchez and getting some salary relief?

the answer is no. His agents (his brothers) will want the money.

What isn't mentioned is that if his people want to play hard ball and force a release, the Jets could just retain him and he misses the opportunity to play with team X and then they find someone else. I think he will be strongly motivated to start over with another team. He won't take less, but I don't see him gumming up the works and missing an opportunity, either.

What team is going to want Mark Sanchez ? There are plenty of guys who haven't totally disgraced themselves and their team/fans who will be back ups for less than what a sane gm would pay Mark..if he already has money rolling in.

Mark is good being third in NY, probably plotting a comeback.

The only hope is if Rex gets fired, some other team hires him as HC, and he convinces some GM and owner that Sanchez just had a bad year or didn't have the right pieces in place. And suddenly some idiot GM & Owner falls for Rex's BS and Rex continues his man love of Mark.

Coming back to reality, Mark and his agent(brothers) would be morons if they renegotiated, the Jets would be idiots to pay mark 8.5 Million to play somewhere else, and another team would be stupid to take on that same salary plus some. It was a bad deal for the Jets. Mark can pull a d&ck move and just ride the bench or even join the practice squad and collect 8.5 million. He won't play. But why would he care if he's sticking it to the Jets.

I don't see how any of this ends well. The Jets are either going to pay Sanchez to be a 3rd stringer or they are going to pay him to play/sit for somebody else. It's just one of those terrible deals Tanny made that will be nearly impossible to get out of unless they find some other idiot and team to trade with.

the answer is no. His agents (his brothers) will want the money.

Wait...... so Tanny had to negotiate with Marks brother and couldn't work in offset language on a contract that just about everyone but Courtney thought was ridiculous to begin with? Where is that crazy black guy from Twitter?

I'm pretty sure Rex has had it with Sanchez, to be fair. If we didn't have Tebow as backup I'm pretty sure Rex would have pulled Sanchez before this. Tebow is the only QB in the league with the potential to be less effective than Sanchez and BOOM, the Jets ran out to get him.

Yeah, nobody's ever going to convince me that Rex wanted Tebow. Ever.

Wait...... so Tanny had to negotiate with Marks brother and couldn't work in offset language on a contract that just about everyone but Courtney thought was ridiculous to begin with? Where is that crazy black guy from Twitter?

to be fair Mark has a real agent David Dunn. his brothers are like his business agents getting him commercials and the like. but it doesn't matter, no one leaves money on the table just to leave town. the offset language was never gonna happen, cause he was guaranteed that money when he was drafted in that pre-new-CBA contract.

to be fair Mark has a real agent David Dunn. his brothers are like his business agents getting him commercials and the like. but it doesn't matter, no one leaves money on the table just to leave town. the offset language was never gonna happen, cause he was guaranteed that money when he was drafted in that pre-new-CBA contract.

No that money was all gone already. This is new guaranteed money that the team gave him. It had nothing to do with the old CBA and draft system. The Jets just screwed up. Thought they were outsmarting the system. I think they actually believed the Eli Manning year 4 theory. I truly believe at this point that they thought they were getting Mark for the next 3 years at 13 million or so a year rather than the 16 or 17 million it was going to cost when he "turned the magical year 4 corner" and became Eli Manning. Somewhere they forgot about David Carr, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Patrick Ramsey and Heath Shulers "magical year 4 corner".

I disagree with the logic that Sanchez' side will force the Jets hand to release him simply because they have every financial incentive to not release him. If he wants to get out of town and the Jets find a partner he is not going to say he wont renegotiate for payment up front. The agent wouldnt even want to do that because it damages their relationship with a team that they just got one over on anyway when they got the Jets to sign off on the extension.

Here is an overview of the trade market for the former busts and what teams would be willing to pay for a player such as Sanchez

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/sanchezoptions.html

I disagree with the logic that Sanchez' side will force the Jets hand to release him simply because they have every financial incentive to not release him. If he wants to get out of town and the Jets find a partner he is not going to say he wont renegotiate for payment up front. The agent wouldnt even want to do that because it damages their relationship with a team that they just got one over on anyway when they got the Jets to sign off on the extension.

Here is an overview of the trade market for the former busts and what teams would be willing to pay for a player such as Sanchez

http://www.nyjetscap...hezoptions.html

Hey, nice plug on the Fan the other day bro. Very nice!

http://www.nyjetscap...hezoptions.html

if I am reading your article correctly, woody has to pay Sanchez 6+ mil to leave and the giant cap hit goes to 2014. I guess it's better than paying him 8.25 to sit the bench but not by much. What would the budget be to find Sanchez's replacement? It would have to be a super cheap player like McElroy.

He's a horrible qb and i dont even think he wants to play. Now he can sit on the bench and collect 8 mil. cha-ching!

You don't think he wants to play? What in the world makes you think that? The countless hours in the weight room? The Jets West camp that he holds? Or is it you just talking out of your backside?

You don't think he wants to play? What in the world makes you think that? The countless hours in the weight room? The Jets West camp that he holds? Or is it you just talking out of your backside?

He just looks like hes lost the passion for the game

Especially when on the open market Sanchez would be looking at vet minimum contracts to hold a clipboard or be inactive. There are no max money free agent deals in Sanchez's future.

if I am reading your article correctly, woody has to pay Sanchez 6+ mil to leave and the giant cap hit goes to 2014. I guess it's better than paying him 8.25 to sit the bench but not by much. What would the budget be to find Sanchez's replacement? It would have to be a super cheap player like McElroy.

My guess is the replacement cap budget is anywhere from 3-7 million to replace him. Its a pretty bare market next year. I dont think the team would really pursue Vick (though who knows with the owner) but my guess is they will target Alex Smith first when he is released and if he says no then they would look to Matt Moore.

Mark's brother is a lawyer - not a sports rep.

As far as me thinking Mark's extension was a good idea - I, unlike others, remember his success (even though it was one year) at USC, and his first two years in the NFL.

ALSO - Rex still loves Mark. Everyone forgets that what goes on behind closed doors is not portrayed to the media. Sure Rex wants to win - everyone does. However, he is still upset about the whole situation, and I would not be surprised if Mark stays.

glauber reports that Sanchez will be here in 2013. I appreciate the effort Jason put into imagining a way out of it but bottom line the numbers aren't really friendly to him leaving.

Glauber's kinda a douche. I don't really put any stock into what he says on the matter. There's little doubt that the Jets will try to figure out a way out of Sanchez's deal. Whether they can, obviously, is another story. But it's way too early to say he'll definitely be back.

Archived