•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mehta tweet: Pettine rejects extension

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

#2 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Yeah this guy is just so hard to believe. But if true then Rex isn't going anywhere. Good.

#3 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Yeah this guy is just so hard to believe. But if true then Rex isn't going anywhere. Good.

Not sure what to think about this.

#4 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,417 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

How do these things relate to each other?
Originally Posted by Blackout™
LOL ignorance is bless.

#5 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,553 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Pettine is probably in line for HC gigs. He's a brilliant football mind. Shame we wont be able to hold onto him.

#6 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

How do these things relate to each other?

Why would you look to extend Rex's "right hand man" if you're not looking to keep him on board? Both have talked about their bond on numerous occasions.

#7 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Pettine is probably in line for HC gigs. He's a brilliant football mind. Shame we wont be able to hold onto him.

Just had this thought.. probably looking to keep his options open is all.

#8 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

Why would you look to extend Rex's "right hand man" if you're not looking to keep him on board? Both have talked about their bond on numerous occasions.

Pettine comes from a nuts and bolts no nonsense football family. I cant imagine he wants to be tied to the hip of Rex much longer after whats gone down.

#9 cr726

cr726

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

Pettine's father was an awesome HS coach at Central Bucks West in PA.

#10 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

What if Pettine is just sick of being micromanaged, or maybe he just thinks the organization is a joke?

#11 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Pettine comes from a nuts and bolts no nonsense football family. I cant imagine he wants to be tied to the hip of Rex much longer after whats gone down.

Sure but if the Jets offered an extension to Pettine you don't think that means they're keeping Rex on board?

#12 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Pettine's father was an awesome HS coach at Central Bucks West in PA.

Yep. ESPN chronicled him and Mike Jr(when he was coaching high school too) for a season back in 1999 or so. One of the better football documentaries ever done.

#13 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

i think it means opposite.
Pettine is loyal to Rex and he 'thinks' Rex may be fired so he is leaving his options open so he can 'follow' Rex to new destination (Philly?)
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#14 cr726

cr726

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yep. ESPN chronicled him and Mike Jr(when he was coaching high school too) for a season back in 1999 or so. One of the better football documentaries ever done.

North Penn HS hired Pettine jr. as their football coach it was a big deal and his "real job" at North Penn was the audio visual director. Lol

#15 lanightmare225

lanightmare225

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

So who is next in line? Would be pretty interesting if Rex brought his twin over. Can you picture these two fighting on the sideline after the defense gives up a big td it would be must see tv
Posted Image

#16 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

If Rex is back next year and Pettine is elsewhere, this will be a disaster. Before everyone says, "hey, it is Rex's defense" remember that we said the same thing about Parcells and he never won without Belicheck running his defense.

#17 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 27,971 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Pettine is loyal to Rex and he 'thinks' Rex may be fired so he is leaving his options open so he can 'follow' Rex to new destination (Philly?)

As inept as this organization is, it's hard to believe they'd be offering extensions to assistants without first deciding that everybody's coming back.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#18 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,700 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Sure but if the Jets offered an extension to Pettine you don't think that means they're keeping Rex on board?

Both of these things, which indicate the exact opposite about Rex's future here, are plausible.

I think the former is more likely. If Rex is potentially getting fired, why give a coordinator a brand new contract extension that a new GM or HC has to be locked into?

The only plausible explanation would be that a new HC candidate would have to walk into a team in disarray with tons of holes (including QB), very limited cap room to fix them, and the DC just jumped ship also yet Sparano is still here.

Possible, but still I think it means Rex is coming back. I would have been - and still will be - surprised if he was fired prior to next season. Which also means a new GM - if Tannenbaum is even fired, which I will still only believe when I see it happen - would be coming into a situation locked into Rex for one more year.

JetNation.com

#19 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

If Rex is back next year and Pettine is elsewhere, this will be a disaster. Before everyone says, "hey, it is Rex's defense" remember that we said the same thing about Parcells and he never won without Belicheck running his defense.

Everyone knew Belly's importance. I dont think same here.
All knowledgable fans (even Tuna) gave Belly total credit for the Defensive scheme that beat the favored Bills in that wide right SB.
Posted Image

#20 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Both of these things, which indicate the exact opposite about Rex's future here, are plausible.

I think the former is more likely. If Rex is potentially getting fired, why give a coordinator a brand new contract extension that a new GM or HC has to be locked into?

The only plausible explanation would be that a new HC candidate would have to walk into a team in disarray with tons of holes (including QB), very limited cap room to fix them, and the DC just jumped ship also yet Sparano is still here.

Possible, but still I think it means Rex is coming back. I would have been - and still will be - surprised if he was fired prior to next season. Which also means a new GM - if Tannenbaum is even fired, which I will still only believe when I see it happen - would be coming into a situation locked into Rex for one more year.

ya Sperm I agree, both sort of right, LOL.
My thinking, and backed up by a conversation I had with The Bergen Records JP Pelzman yesterday, is that Woody will fire Tanny, and then to save cash hire a up and comer candidate for GM. This allows him to dangle job offer with caveat he keeps Rex (and salary committed). If a high profile candidate offered, they would not allow such a caveat as any high profile GM would want 'their guy' to right the ship, especially in the 'free pass' 1st year of a new GM's regime.
Lets not forget that a up and comer may be only choice as any high profile candidate may want to steer clear of this clusterfudge. :)

Edited by SouthernJet, 21 December 2012 - 09:33 AM.

Posted Image

#21 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,417 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

This defense is overrated, also.

When teams come into play the jets, they know that if they get 17 points, that the deal is most likely sealed as a win. Teams don't have to come into play the Jets with a "wide open" offensive approach. They know if they plod along, don't make mistakes, eventually the jets will give them the game.

How many shoot outs have the Jets been involved with this year where the other team had to open up their offense? 2? (the Bills and the Colts?).

Teams are able to just stay on the ground vs. the Jets and in most cases have the lead, and they don't need to pile up yards.

If the Jets had any semblance of an offense, the reality is that the defensive rankings would be worse.
LOL ignorance is bless.

#22 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,417 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

My thinking, and backed up by a conversation I had with The Bergen Records JP Pelzman yesterday, is that Woody will fire Tanny, and then to save cash hire a up and comer candidate for GM. This allows him to dangle job offer with caveat he keeps Rex (and salary committed). If a high profile candidate offered, they would not allow such a caveat as any high profile GM would want 'their guy' to right the ship, especially in the 'free pass' 1st year of a new GM's regime.
Lets not forget that a up and comer may be only choice as any high profile candidate may want to steer clear of this clusterfudge. :)

The hope is, if that happens, that they do not try to salvage Rex into a job saving mode next year, punt with contracts and put all the dead money toward the 2013 cap, suffer the consequences with a horrible year, fire Rex after the debacle, and then truly build for the future.
LOL ignorance is bless.

#23 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,784 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Interesting comparison, but there are more reasons to think Ryan would be succesful without Pettine than Parcells without Belichick. There were a few times when the team struggled here and Rex went back to calling the D. I don't remember Parcells EVER thinking about that on the defensive side of the ball and he wasn't shy about pulling play calling for O. There may be something to the attention to detail and preparation requirements that Rex may need from the outside, but I think he handles the concepts as well as anybody. Of course Belichick was the detail gollum in his cave plotting, so maybe there is something to your fears.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#24 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,583 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Honestly, this makes a ton of sense. Woody likes to pinch pennies, and Tannenbaum burned a sh*tload of them on Sanchez's contract extension, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees Rex as an asset that he'd want to keep on board, anyway. There's a very strong case that can be made that the problem on the Jets is talent much more than it is coaching.

As for the candidates, JiF posted some comments from Charlie Casserly that sounded like he was lobbying for the job, and interested in keeping Rex on board.

My other question here would be: who's offering this contract extension to Pettine? Woody, Rex, or Tannenbaum?
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#25 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

The hope is, if that happens, that they do not try to salvage Rex into a job saving mode next year, punt with contracts and put all the dead money toward the 2013 cap, suffer the consequences with a horrible year, fire Rex after the debacle, and then truly build for the future.

I hear ya Scott, but that is how it will 'sort of' play out I think.
A new GM means Woody unhappy with contracts, depth,draft etc etc.
Keeping Rex (if a up and comer GM is hired) means they are just saving money by not eating Rex's contract.
A high profile GM would fire Rex 2 seconds after hired. Its just the way it works. A Polian would bring in 'his guy'.
So if Rex is here, they will get a vet QB to maybe salvage decent season with still good Defense. if Rex pulls a miracle he survives in 2014. They will get rid of some cap issues before season starts, buy try and maintain a 9-7 (we can make a run) [philosophy.
If Jets flop, then I assume we will see trades for picks at Trade deadline.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users