Mehta tweet: Pettine rejects extension

Lizard King

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The YPG argument is pretty weak when you think about how many points Sanchez has given the other team. All of those points ultimately get credited against the defense.

This argument actually skews the jets BETTER defensively in stats in the YPG stat.

With Sanchez giving the ball away at alarming clips, offenses have less field to travel against the Jets, rather than teams that eschew the turnover method to punts.

Awesome. I have a feeling Pettine will be a better head coach than Rex, so it's best to get him out of here ASAP.

Right now any piece of news coming out of Florham is met with derision.

Pettine signs an extension. "Oh NOES, we suck!"

Pettine rejects an extension. "Oh NOES, we suck"

Like said, I think he's keeping his options open. He knows he won't be on the street and if he signs an extension, he might be held to that contract and won't be permitted a lateral move if, by chance Rex coaches elsewhere.

haha seriously tho are we really talking about elevating him to HC? As a reward for how great this season went? Not exactly the cleaning of the house everyone wanted.

He's got a rapport with the players and a great pedigree. If we were to fire Rex and replace him with a first-timer, Pettine's as good a choice as any.

NY Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine turns down contract extension, according to source

With so much uncertainty swirling around the Jets heading into the offseason, losing Pettine would be a significant blow to the team's most productive unit.

The Jets may lose one of the key cogs that helped them find so much defensive success in recent years. The Daily News has learned that defensive coordinator

Mike Pettine has turned down a contract extension offer that would keep him with the team beyond this season.The Jets typically attempt to extend coaches on their final year of their deals, but Pettine will effectively become a free agent after the season, according to sources. Pettine, who came to the Jets with Rex Ryan from the Ravens, wasn't immediately available for comment.With so much uncertainty swirling around the Jets heading into the offseason, losing Pettine would be a significant blow to the team's most productive unit. Ryan's trust in Pettine was one of the most critical elements of stabilizing a team that was on the precipice of falling out of the playoff picture a couple times during the season.

Pettine's success with the Jets would make him a potential head coaching candidate after the dominos fall across the league after the season.The Jets have finished first, third and fifth in total defense under Pettine. His unit was the backbone of the teams that went to two consecutive AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010.Despite losing All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis to season-ending ACL injury early in the year, the Jets are eighth in total defense - and No. 2 in pass defense - with two weeks left. Pettine's unit helped keep the Jets' playoff hopes alive in the past several weeks before a 14-10 loss to the Titans on Monday night mathematically eliminated them from postseason contention.

Pettine admitted to reporters on Thursday that a few of his defensive players have expressed frustrations about feeling the need to pitch a shutout each week due to the team's offensive struggles this season."I know it's frustrating that they feel like they have to do it," Pettine said. "In the past maybe it affected me as a play caller where you feel like, 'Hey, listen I can't go too much risk-reward here because if we go down a certain amount, there's a reasonable chance we're not going to get back in it.' … I think I changed that where we stayed aggressive maybe in times I wouldn't have. I just think it's human nature. I think it wears on our guys.They are competitive. They want to win. They want to do everything they can to help the team win… We just preach to our guys: Stay the course… When we get out there, it's more TV time for us."The Jets have vaulted from 19th to eighth in total defense thanks, in part, to their improved third-down defense that has allowed opponents to convert just 4 of their last 44 attempts in the past three games.

God bless us all.

Every one?

He's got a rapport with the players and a great pedigree. If we were to fire Rex and replace him with a first-timer, Pettine's as good a choice as any.

That would be a bit like the Pete Carroll promotion. Rising from within, only it would be twice as unusual to give it to a guy that coached the same side of the ball as the head man.

So they offered him an extension at DC because they are really thinking about offering him the HC job? That's some deep ninja GMing right there.

A source confirmed on Friday that Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine turned down a contract extension from the team months ago.

This is a sign that Pettine, who is in the final year of his deal, plans on departing the Jets after this season to get out of Rex Ryan’s shadow and improve his chances of becoming a head coach.

Pettine was a defensive line and linebackers coach in Baltimore, where Ryan was the defensive coordinator. When Ryan got the head coaching job with the Jets before the 2009 season, Pettine came with him to serve as the defensive coordinator.

Pettine’s potential departure adds another layer of uncertainty for a Jets team filled with question marks heading into the offseason.

Pettine’s unit helped push the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010 when they finished first and third in total defense, respectively. In 2011, the Jets were fifth in the league and are eighth this season, even with top CB Darrelle Revis being sidelined since Week 3 with a torn ACL.

Everyone knew Belly's importance. I dont think same here.

All knowledgable fans (even Tuna) gave Belly total credit for the Defensive scheme that beat the favored Bills in that wide right SB.

I have to correct you, everyone did not know of Belly's importance until he left to take the Cleveland job. Everyone said, Romeo can do it as long as Parcells is around. You may be remembering when they hooked up again after Cleveland, but before he took the Cleveland job everyone assumed he was a puppet like Pettine.

A source confirmed on Friday that Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine turned down a contract extension from the team months ago.

the timing is an interesting tidbit. It could just be time for this man to take the next step in his career. and good luck to him.

I have to correct you, everyone did not know of Belly's importance until he left to take the Cleveland job. Everyone said, Romeo can do it as long as Parcells is around. You may be remembering when they hooked up again after Cleveland, but before he took the Cleveland job everyone assumed he was a puppet like Pettine.

I should have said 'some' of us knew. Those who followed closely did know. You are right, casual observers didnt.

Lets not forget that over a month ago rumors were spreading that Rex was unhappy with horrific 3rd down stats and was going to 'take more control'. What we may be seeing is Pettine unhappy taht Rex 'had to step in'. If true, the D has played better lately .So if thats the case, let Pettine walk.

This argument actually skews the jets BETTER defensively in stats in the YPG stat.

With Sanchez giving the ball away at alarming clips, offenses have less field to travel against the Jets, rather than teams that eschew the turnover method to punts.

My point is that the defense, in terms of points per game, is not as bad as the stats portray. Sanchez and the special teams have been responsible for a lot of points this season.

While the defense is not exactly elite, it has held up pretty well all things considered. If you want to pin point a reason that the Jets are not going to the playoffs the defense is pretty far down the list.

Lets not forget that over a month ago rumors were spreading that Rex was unhappy with horrific 3rd down stats and was going to 'take more control'. What we may be seeing is Pettine unhappy taht Rex 'had to step in'. If true, the D has played better lately .So if thats the case, let Pettine walk.

yea its weird didnt pettine take over the D last year and they didnt play as well? Id rather have rex completely controlling the D he really is one of the best in the league for it.

My point is that the defense, in terms of points per game, is not as bad as the stats portray. Sanchez and the special teams have been responsible for a lot of points this season.

While the defense is not exactly elite, it has held up pretty well all things considered. If you want to pin point a reason that the Jets are not going to the playoffs the defense is pretty far down the list.

Defenses are typically "ranked" because of yards per game. Why you keep coming back to points per game, I don't know why. I never said that.

When this defense has been forced to play high octane offenses, points and yards have been given up by the bushelful.

Archived