Mehta tweet: Pettine rejects extension

Lizard King

Saw this in my Tweet feed

When the D Coordinator wants no part of this organization, we are foreseeing how bright our future looks.

This season screams F*CKERY.

A bright football man doesn't want to take Woody Johnson's money. Again.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, this makes a ton of sense. Woody likes to pinch pennies, and Tannenbaum burned a sh*tload of them on Sanchez's contract extension, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees Rex as an asset that he'd want to keep on board, anyway. There's a very strong case that can be made that the problem on the Jets is talent much more than it is coaching.

As for the candidates, JiF posted some comments from Charlie Casserly that sounded like he was lobbying for the job, and interested in keeping Rex on board.

My other question here would be: who's offering this contract extension to Pettine? Woody, Rex, or Tannenbaum?

A question. If Woody fire Tanny. What would be the ETA? There must be a deadline for these kind of decisions (the sooner the better).

That is just mean. There must be a guideline for these kind of things.

Seriously, you would do it the day after the season ends. You don't want to leave anyone twisting, and you need to start a search because next year needs to be planned. In order:

-Decide who are you going to want to extend in contract or re-sign (potential free agents)

-Restructure contracts for those that you see having a future with the team.

-Scout college players

-Figure out your Free agency possibilities.

All of those things need to be wrapped up by mid February at latest

Seriously, you would do it the day after the season ends. You don't want to leave anyone twisting, and you need to start a search because next year needs to be planned. In order:

-Decide who are you going to want to extend in contract or re-sign (potential free agents)

-Restructure contracts for those that you see having a future with the team.

-Scout college players

-Figure out your Free agency possibilities.

All of those things need to be wrapped up by mid February at latest

Thanks, and let´s hope for the best.

He really is unbelievable. I am surprised the News is fine with his style. It seems more like something you would get from the Post.

His current style is 180° different than it was when he first came onto the beat. It's stunning what a sell-out hack he turned into over night.

Breaking news...unnamed sources familiar with thinking of Jets reporters revealed that Mehta is full of .... with regard to his anonymous sources. It is believe that this information was provided some time within the past 8 months, but it could have been longer or even just happened.

His current style is 180° different than it was when he first came onto the beat. It's stunning what a sell-out hack he turned into over night.

I was thinking that before. I liked him in the beginning...he seemed to embrace technology (Twitter). Now he blocks people on Twitter like it is going out of style.

Breaking news...unnamed sources familiar with thinking of Jets reporters revealed that Mehta is full of .... with regard to his anonymous sources. It is believe that this information was provided some time within the past 8 months, but it could have been longer or even just happened.

NO one really knows. As bad as the Mangini collapse was if he had made the playoffs the Jets would've kept him. We have 2 more games to impact the one variable that matters-Woody Johnson. May be things happen that impress him or make him more inclined to tear it all down.

I really like Pettine and if we were going with a young up and coming HC He would be a great choice IMO. Seems much more level headed than Rex which goes a long way in being a HC.

If we were to Fire Rex I think Pettine would be my first first choice.

heard a rumor Kyle Shanahan and he would bring Cousins mon, im not sold on either though mon

I'd go all in on Pettine and say bye-bye to Rex.

Pettine, im telling you, is going to be an awesome coach. Worked is way up...not like nepotism Rex....who just doesnt have the brain to be an NFL HC. Same with Herm...these guys just arent smart enough. Pettine is brilliant.

I'd go all in on Pettine and say bye-bye to Rex.

Pettine, im telling you, is going to be an awesome coach. Worked is way up...not like nepotism Rex....who just doesnt have the brain to be an NFL HC. Same with Herm...these guys just arent smart enough. Pettine is brilliant.

Kinda hard to quantify, no?

What isnt from coaches?

Is Rex the answer?

I'm just saying, it's be hard to differentiate between Pettine and Rex. It's too big a gamble to take right now, IMO. If we're going the young assistant route, I want a guy who has worked, and had success, in multiple settings.

I'm just saying, it's be hard to differentiate between Pettine and Rex. It's too big a gamble to take right now, IMO. If we're going the young assistant route, I want a guy who has worked, and had success, in multiple settings.

so yeah ...Pettine

How could you not differentiate between the 2 ? Rex is a loud mouth idiot Pettine sounds like a smart guy and is probably the brains behind fat boy.

so yeah ...Pettine

How could you not differentiate between the 2 ? Rex is a loud mouth idiot Pettine sounds like a smart guy and is probably the brains behind fat boy.

i thought pettine took over the D and rex had to step in and help cause they started to suck. Rex obviouslly has a defensivly gifted mind i dont know how much credit pettine should be getting. but what makes you think this guy knows offense either? Only difference we would see is the difference in QB play

i thought pettine took over the D and rex had to step in and help cause they started to suck. Rex obviouslly has a defensivly gifted mind i dont know how much credit pettine should be getting. but what makes you think this guy knows offense either? Only difference we would see is the difference in QB play

IMO coaching football is coaching football success on any level takes leadership and ability to succeed. Pettines Father has been a successful coach so Pettine comes from a line of coaches as well. being an NFL coach does not mean your necessarily good at coaching it probably has more to do with connections, former player status and things of that nature. Pettine comes off as a very intelligent guy and football itself is not rocket science like some people in the industry would have you believe. I know you seee the word genius thrown around and I find that laughable to attach to a sport but we've also seen our share of idiots running NFL franchises and coaching teams. Pettine is a smart guy and i think he commands respect for that alone and I feel he would make a very solid HC. So when you say how much does he know about offense I cant really answer that question but putting the right people in place and the right skill players should not be that difficult for a guy whos life has been around football. Rex is a good defensive coach but he has had the luxery of talent around him his entire career including HOF caliber talent in Baltimore hes not actully out their getting crap to overacheive but thats a matter of opinion. If we need to get a HC this offseason I would hope for either a proven winner OR if we go the route of young up and comer there is no one I can think of I would rather have than Pettine. Why ? because i dont think Pettine would be stupid enough to totally ignore the offense and the QB and just dump that responsibilty solely on the next cast off coordinator like Rex did with Sparano.

IMO coaching football is coaching football success on any level takes leadership and ability to succeed. Pettines Father has been a successful coach so Pettine comes from a line of coaches as well. being an NFL coach does not mean your necessarily good at coaching it probably has more to do with connections, former player status and things of that nature. Pettine comes off as a very intelligent guy and football itself is not rocket science like some people in the industry would have you believe. I know you seee the word genius thrown around and I find that laughable to attach to a sport but we've also seen our share of idiots running NFL franchises and coaching teams. Pettine is a smart guy and i think he commands respect for that alone and I feel he would make a very solid HC. So when you say how much does he know about offense I cant really answer that question but putting the right people in place and the right skill players should not be that difficult for a guy whos life has been around football. Rex is a good defensive coach but he has had the luxery of talent around him his entire career including HOF caliber talent in Baltimore hes not actully out their getting crap to overacheive but thats a matter of opinion. If we need to get a HC this offseason I would hope for either a proven winner OR if we go the route of young up and comer there is no one I can think of I would rather have than Pettine. Why ? because i dont think Pettine would be stupid enough to totally ignore the offense and the QB and just dump that responsibilty solely on the next cast off coordinator like Rex did with Sparano.

couldnt you say the entire first half of your paragraph for Ryan also? He could be good he could be bad i have no idea its pure speculation i would just be more comfortable if we get rid of everyone to actually get rid of everyone. I think its weird ur praising a guy for seeming intelligent and saying other people are dumb and NFL isnt rocket science (yes but rocket scientists probably cant coach in NFL). You say he commands respect for seeming intelligent but you said it doesnt rly matter if anyone is smart or not in the NFL? All i know is its rex's defense so im not exactly sure what pettine does. You say its not difficult to put people in position to suceed but its not that cut and dry you dont think rex tries to do that? You dont think hed be dumb enough to ignore offense (no one has ignored it thats a weird remark) i just dont see where he has proven to be able to do any of those things? He helps with rex's D. If pettine was a new OC we hired this year and he turned the offense into something respectable id be like heck yes this guy obviously knows what hes doing i just dont see what pettine would do differentially then rex except maybe have a worse D but idk. I want a hard ass coach lol

i think it means opposite.

Pettine is loyal to Rex and he 'thinks' Rex may be fired so he is leaving his options open so he can 'follow' Rex to new destination (Philly?)

This

I think the Jets wanted to have the option to fire Rex, but keep his defense with Petine staying as the D-Coordinator, this is what makes sense to me at least, the Jets have made A LOT of moves specifically for what Rex wants on D, and the defensive talent is still there for his system, essentially it would give the Jets a way to rebuild everywhere else while keeping the only strength left on the team heading in the same direction.

Also makes a sh*t load of sense if it was Tanny trying this, he could try, and save his job, and sell this to Woody, saying it was Rex not me here is my plan, fire him, save my dum ass.

I made a post above that I can see the Jets trying to keep Pettine to run the already established, and talent specific to scheme defensive system, this would give the Jets the option to fire Rex, and hire an up, and comer who knows keeping Pettine is part of the deal, kinda like Schotty with Rex.

After watching this Seahawks team play the last 3 weeks the offensive up, and comer might be Darrell Bevell, it's a shame Rex couldn't see that this guy, and him would have made a perfect match, and some how stole him from Petey.

I made a post above that I can see the Jets trying to keep Pettine to run the already established, and talent specific to scheme defensive system, this would give the Jets the option to fire Rex, and hire an up, and comer who knows keeping Pettine is part of the deal, kinda like Schotty with Rex.

After watching this Seahawks team play the last 3 weeks the offensive up, and comer might be Darrell Bevell, it's a shame Rex couldn't see that this guy, and him would have made a perfect match, and some how stole him from Petey.

He might want to coach Wisconsin for the rest of his career thou, and if so he will get that chance starting next year.

Archived