Mehta tweet: Pettine rejects extension

Lizard King

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you look to extend Rex's "right hand man" if you're not looking to keep him on board? Both have talked about their bond on numerous occasions.

Pettine comes from a nuts and bolts no nonsense football family. I cant imagine he wants to be tied to the hip of Rex much longer after whats gone down.

Pettine comes from a nuts and bolts no nonsense football family. I cant imagine he wants to be tied to the hip of Rex much longer after whats gone down.

Sure but if the Jets offered an extension to Pettine you don't think that means they're keeping Rex on board?

Yeah this guy is just so hard to believe. But if true then Rex isn't going anywhere. Good.

i think it means opposite.

Pettine is loyal to Rex and he 'thinks' Rex may be fired so he is leaving his options open so he can 'follow' Rex to new destination (Philly?)

Yep. ESPN chronicled him and Mike Jr(when he was coaching high school too) for a season back in 1999 or so. One of the better football documentaries ever done.

North Penn HS hired Pettine jr. as their football coach it was a big deal and his "real job" at North Penn was the audio visual director. Lol

Pettine is loyal to Rex and he 'thinks' Rex may be fired so he is leaving his options open so he can 'follow' Rex to new destination (Philly?)

As inept as this organization is, it's hard to believe they'd be offering extensions to assistants without first deciding that everybody's coming back.

Sure but if the Jets offered an extension to Pettine you don't think that means they're keeping Rex on board?

Both of these things, which indicate the exact opposite about Rex's future here, are plausible.

I think the former is more likely. If Rex is potentially getting fired, why give a coordinator a brand new contract extension that a new GM or HC has to be locked into?

The only plausible explanation would be that a new HC candidate would have to walk into a team in disarray with tons of holes (including QB), very limited cap room to fix them, and the DC just jumped ship also yet Sparano is still here.

Possible, but still I think it means Rex is coming back. I would have been - and still will be - surprised if he was fired prior to next season. Which also means a new GM - if Tannenbaum is even fired, which I will still only believe when I see it happen - would be coming into a situation locked into Rex for one more year.

If Rex is back next year and Pettine is elsewhere, this will be a disaster. Before everyone says, "hey, it is Rex's defense" remember that we said the same thing about Parcells and he never won without Belicheck running his defense.

Everyone knew Belly's importance. I dont think same here.

All knowledgable fans (even Tuna) gave Belly total credit for the Defensive scheme that beat the favored Bills in that wide right SB.

Both of these things, which indicate the exact opposite about Rex's future here, are plausible.

I think the former is more likely. If Rex is potentially getting fired, why give a coordinator a brand new contract extension that a new GM or HC has to be locked into?

The only plausible explanation would be that a new HC candidate would have to walk into a team in disarray with tons of holes (including QB), very limited cap room to fix them, and the DC just jumped ship also yet Sparano is still here.

Possible, but still I think it means Rex is coming back. I would have been - and still will be - surprised if he was fired prior to next season. Which also means a new GM - if Tannenbaum is even fired, which I will still only believe when I see it happen - would be coming into a situation locked into Rex for one more year.

ya Sperm I agree, both sort of right, LOL.

My thinking, and backed up by a conversation I had with The Bergen Records JP Pelzman yesterday, is that Woody will fire Tanny, and then to save cash hire a up and comer candidate for GM. This allows him to dangle job offer with caveat he keeps Rex (and salary committed). If a high profile candidate offered, they would not allow such a caveat as any high profile GM would want 'their guy' to right the ship, especially in the 'free pass' 1st year of a new GM's regime.

Lets not forget that a up and comer may be only choice as any high profile candidate may want to steer clear of this clusterfudge. :)

This defense is overrated, also.

When teams come into play the jets, they know that if they get 17 points, that the deal is most likely sealed as a win. Teams don't have to come into play the Jets with a "wide open" offensive approach. They know if they plod along, don't make mistakes, eventually the jets will give them the game.

How many shoot outs have the Jets been involved with this year where the other team had to open up their offense? 2? (the Bills and the Colts?).

Teams are able to just stay on the ground vs. the Jets and in most cases have the lead, and they don't need to pile up yards.

If the Jets had any semblance of an offense, the reality is that the defensive rankings would be worse.

My thinking, and backed up by a conversation I had with The Bergen Records JP Pelzman yesterday, is that Woody will fire Tanny, and then to save cash hire a up and comer candidate for GM. This allows him to dangle job offer with caveat he keeps Rex (and salary committed). If a high profile candidate offered, they would not allow such a caveat as any high profile GM would want 'their guy' to right the ship, especially in the 'free pass' 1st year of a new GM's regime.

Lets not forget that a up and comer may be only choice as any high profile candidate may want to steer clear of this clusterfudge. :)

The hope is, if that happens, that they do not try to salvage Rex into a job saving mode next year, punt with contracts and put all the dead money toward the 2013 cap, suffer the consequences with a horrible year, fire Rex after the debacle, and then truly build for the future.

If Rex is back next year and Pettine is elsewhere, this will be a disaster. Before everyone says, "hey, it is Rex's defense" remember that we said the same thing about Parcells and he never won without Belicheck running his defense.

Interesting comparison, but there are more reasons to think Ryan would be succesful without Pettine than Parcells without Belichick. There were a few times when the team struggled here and Rex went back to calling the D. I don't remember Parcells EVER thinking about that on the defensive side of the ball and he wasn't shy about pulling play calling for O. There may be something to the attention to detail and preparation requirements that Rex may need from the outside, but I think he handles the concepts as well as anybody. Of course Belichick was the detail gollum in his cave plotting, so maybe there is something to your fears.

Honestly, this makes a ton of sense. Woody likes to pinch pennies, and Tannenbaum burned a sh*tload of them on Sanchez's contract extension, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees Rex as an asset that he'd want to keep on board, anyway. There's a very strong case that can be made that the problem on the Jets is talent much more than it is coaching.

As for the candidates, JiF posted some comments from Charlie Casserly that sounded like he was lobbying for the job, and interested in keeping Rex on board.

My other question here would be: who's offering this contract extension to Pettine? Woody, Rex, or Tannenbaum?

The hope is, if that happens, that they do not try to salvage Rex into a job saving mode next year, punt with contracts and put all the dead money toward the 2013 cap, suffer the consequences with a horrible year, fire Rex after the debacle, and then truly build for the future.

I hear ya Scott, but that is how it will 'sort of' play out I think.

A new GM means Woody unhappy with contracts, depth,draft etc etc.

Keeping Rex (if a up and comer GM is hired) means they are just saving money by not eating Rex's contract.

A high profile GM would fire Rex 2 seconds after hired. Its just the way it works. A Polian would bring in 'his guy'.

So if Rex is here, they will get a vet QB to maybe salvage decent season with still good Defense. if Rex pulls a miracle he survives in 2014. They will get rid of some cap issues before season starts, buy try and maintain a 9-7 (we can make a run) [philosophy.

If Jets flop, then I assume we will see trades for picks at Trade deadline.

Honestly, this makes a ton of sense. Woody likes to pinch pennies, and Tannenbaum burned a sh*tload of them on Sanchez's contract extension, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees Rex as an asset that he'd want to keep on board, anyway. There's a very strong case that can be made that the problem on the Jets is talent much more than it is coaching.

As for the candidates, JiF posted some comments from Charlie Casserly that sounded like he was lobbying for the job, and interested in keeping Rex on board.

My other question here would be: who's offering this contract extension to Pettine? Woody, Rex, or Tannenbaum?

slats, can u post the casserly link? thanks, I'l l send to JP for comment.

Could also be one of those ham-fisted stupid Jets tricks, where they floated a low-ball offer to Pettine--knowing he'd refuse--in order to give the appearance that there's a plan to bring everybody back. That locker room has to be ready to implode. Maybe this was an attempt to head off an outright mutiny.

I hear ya Scott, but that is how it will 'sort of' play out I think.

A new GM means Woody unhappy with contracts, depth,draft etc etc.

Keeping Rex (if a up and comer GM is hired) means they are just saving money by not eating Rex's contract.

A high profile GM would fire Rex 2 seconds after hired. Its just the way it works. A Polian would bring in 'his guy'.

So if Rex is here, they will get a vet QB to maybe salvage decent season with still good Defense. if Rex pulls a miracle he survives in 2014. They will get rid of some cap issues before season starts, buy try and maintain a 9-7 (we can make a run) [philosophy.

If Jets flop, then I assume we will see trades for picks at Trade deadline.

Yup, Rex's chance only comes with a bare bones approach, if he can salvage that (fat chance) he gets further opportunity, otherwise he is gone.

New GM already starts to shape his team in his mold (absent Rex input), and focuses on who has a future her, who doesn't, and then shaves for future cap considerations.

2013 will be a very ugly year, but is necessary to get this team pointed in right direction.

This defense is overrated, also.

When teams come into play the jets, they know that if they get 17 points, that the deal is most likely sealed as a win. Teams don't have to come into play the Jets with a "wide open" offensive approach. They know if they plod along, don't make mistakes, eventually the jets will give them the game.

How many shoot outs have the Jets been involved with this year where the other team had to open up their offense? 2? (the Bills and the Colts?).

Teams are able to just stay on the ground vs. the Jets and in most cases have the lead, and they don't need to pile up yards.

If the Jets had any semblance of an offense, the reality is that the defensive rankings would be worse.

I vehemently agree and disagree with portions of this statement. I completely agree that the defensive numbers would skew if the offense were better. That is why Rex wanted a ground and pound team. He's trying to shut the other team down. They'd be worse in some regards because teams would have to open it up, but I'm pretty sure that as currently constructed they are very good against the pass (I'm talking about the "advanced stats" not just ypg which is obviously down because the Jets can't score). As for overrated, I don't think so, though I guess it depends on who is rating them. Are they an all-time great, shut down D? No. Are they the Niners of 2011 or Jets of 2009? Nope. OTOH, they are at least in the 5-10 range and that was without Revis for most of the year, IMO. They are a very good defense.

Could also be one of those ham-fisted stupid Jets tricks, where they floated a low-ball offer to Pettine--knowing he'd refuse--in order to give the appearance that there's a plan to bring everybody back. That locker room has to be ready to implode. Maybe this was an attempt to head off an outright mutiny.

Much too devious and intelligent.

I vehemently agree and disagree with portions of this statement. I completely agree that the defensive numbers would skew if the offense were better. That is why Rex wanted a ground and pound team. He's trying to shut the other team down. They'd be worse in some regards because teams would have to open it up, but I'm pretty sure that as currently constructed they are very good against the pass (I'm talking about the "advanced stats" not just ypg which is obviously down because the Jets can't score). As for overrated, I don't think so, though I guess it depends on who is rating them. Are they an all-time great, shut down D? No. Are they the Niners of 2011 or Jets of 2009? Nope. OTOH, they are at least in the 5-10 range and that was without Revis for most of the year, IMO. They are a very good defense.

Much too devious and intelligent.

My comments were against YPG averages, which skew.

My comments were against YPG averages, which skew.

Yes, but there are other ways to rate them and even though the ypg might skew, they are closer to their ypg ranking than their ppg allowed which includes all the TDs the offense and special teams gave up in addtion to all the points caused by the turnovers. I actually think 8th is a pretty realistic ranking for this D.

Tell Me More

220px-ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

Archived