Tim Tebow opted out of Wildcat

Lil Bit Special

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8776088/tim-tebow-new-york-jets-asked-left-wildcat-sources-say

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow was so frustrated when the starting job was conferred upon Greg McElroy early last week that he told the coaches he didn't want to be used in any Wildcat packages Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, multiple Jets sources told ESPNNewYork.com.

Tebow was active, but did not play in the 27-17 loss at MetLife Stadium.

In Tebow's absence, wide receiver Jeremy Kerley -- a former high school quarterback -- ran the plays for the first time all season. The Wildcat has been Tebow's package, and was the reason Jets coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano said he was brought to New York.

Tebow has been frustrated all season by his lack of playing time, but it culminated Tuesday upon hearing he would be passed over for a starting opportunity when Ryan decided to bench Mark Sanchez. Tebow was disappointed and upset enough to say he didn't want to be used situationally, sources said. He told the Jets coaches early in the week, giving Kerley time to take the practice reps. Soon reports emerged speculating the backup was looking to play outside of New York next season.

In the pos game press conference, Tebow was asked who told him he wouldn't be playing in the Wildcat and Tebow responded, "It just kind of happens," Tebow said.

Ryan said during his news conference that they wanted to use Kerley because of the element of surprise. Afterward Ryan, through a team spokesman, said it was a "coach's decision" when asked specifically if Tebow had opted out.

The Jets had all three quarterbacks active for the Chargers game for the first time all season. Tebow did not play a single snap either as a punt protector or on offense. He was active, according to a source, in case McElroy was hurt. Jets coaches didn't want to play Sanchez at home, wary of possible fan reaction.

"I also wanted to give Kerley a shot at running some Wildcat things," Ryan said. "We knew they wouldn't expect him to throw the ball, and that was the case."

Tebow was Sanchez's backup all season, and was inactive with two fractured ribs during the Cardinals game on Dec. 2 when Sanchez threw three interceptions and was replaced by McElroy. The second-year quarterback out of Alabama threw a touchdown pass and the Jets won 7-6.

Tebow was frustrated that he'd missed that opportunity as well.

After Ryan announced McElroy would start on Tuesday, Tebow was clearly miffed at his locker during his usual Wednesday press conference. The Jets announced Thursday that Tebow wouldn't be available in his usual Friday spot, and he ducked quickly in and out of the locker room that day.

After the loss to the Chargers, Tebow again appeared more detached, but didn't betray much emotion when answering reporter questions.

"It's been disappointing, obviously (the season) didn't go as we thought, as I had hoped," Tebow said. "But sometimes in life you have that. Sometimes you have setbacks and you have to look at them as an opportunity to step back up and keep working and figure out what to do."

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reported that Tebow will likely play for the Jaguars next season. The Jaguars were the only other NFL team in the hunt for Tebow when Denver acquired Peyton Manning last year during the offseason. It's where he is originally from, and where his family lives. When asked if he was looking to play elsewhere, Tebow avoided the question.

"We've just got to find a way to beat the Buffalo Bills next Sunday," Tebow said.

But he was less evasive when asked if he could be a starting quarterback in the NFL. It's something he hasn't done since last season when he led Denver to the playoffs. The Jets haven't advanced his career. In fact, Kerley's 42-yard pass on Sunday topped Tebow's 39 passing yards all season. Despite the fact that the Jets haven't trusted Tebow to pass the ball or run the offense, Tebow is clear that it's a role he wants.

"I believe in my God-given ability to play this game of football and I think I can play it for a long time," Tebow said, "and I looking forward to playing it some more."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sh!t is just too good.

The Jets had all three quarterbacks active for the Chargers game for the first time all season. Tebow did not play a single snap either as a punt protector or on offense. He was active, according to a source, in case McElroy was hurt. Jets coaches didn't want to play Sanchez at home, wary of possible fan reaction.

Fire. Rex. Immediately.

It's gonna get ugly.

The clown car may be leaving Florham Park by next Sunday night.

Tebow has a point. He was ridiculously misused. The ran all of one play I can recall(1st play he was in last week) in which he ran a wide option, and it went for 12 yards, And instead they otherwise ran him up the middle as if they never watched any tape of him from Denver. And they almost never ran any kind of rollouts to his left even though he is a lefty. Not saying he should've been the #2 or started today. But they spent a mid round pick and salary cap room on him and then pretty much ran plays that wouldn't work when they did use him. Tebow optioning wide means he's facing LBS and DBs moving laterally in the flats; he could and did gain some nice yards there with the Broncos. Running him right at 350lbers inside is a waste, and it's what Sparano did all year.

so Tebow is mad that the Jets/Rex recognize that he's not actually a good quarterback.

about the only smart thing Rex has done lately.

and please. I don't give a sh*t about Timmy's hurt feelings. he's so abused. he could have been the starter in Jax but "ended up" here in the NY spotlight and are pissed the Jets didn't advance his career as captain of Team Lucky Wins.

Yawn......

Oh, sorry. Forgot some stuff.

Rex is just the best. Guys will take less money to play for him. Also, Tannenbaum is an A-#1 drafter and free-agent signer who just knows how to by-golly scout talent. The Jets are in great hands and everything is going to be just swell!

tumblr_krfc4bU82s1qzhk9uo1_400.gif

Oh, sorry. Forgot some stuff.

Rex is just the best. Guys will take less money to play for him. Also, Tannenbaum is an A-#1 drafter and free-agent signer who just knows how to by-golly scout talent. The Jets are in great hands and everything is going to be just swell!

tumblr_krfc4bU82s1qzhk9uo1_400.gif

Tanny drafts were not bad, his free agent stuff has been deplorable. If Rex stays they are going to have to do the Head Asst coach thing and it will have to be a pure OC.

Archived