OL Prospects

SenorGato

Not a bad interior OL crop, with the SEC providing alot of the talent.

OT:

Luke Joeckel T A&M

Jake Matthews T A&M

Taylor Lewan MI

DJ Fluker AL

Eric Fisher CM

Oday Aboushi VA

Ricky Wagner WIS

Alex Hurst LSU

Xavier Nixon UF

Brennan Williams UNC - Injury knocked him out, but size and upside are there for some team to take the gamble later

OG:

Chance Warmack

Barrett Jones

Dallas Thomas

Jonathan Cooper

Larry Warford

DJ Fluker

Alvin Bailey

Travis Frederick*

Cyril Richardson*

Gabe Jackson*

Braden Hansen

I like Cooper over Warmack, as Cooper is super athletic who can pull out to be the lead block (looks like a FB moving out there) also is better on film is pass protection (due to competition) and will fit a zone scheme better due to his athleticism. Not saying he' a better prospect just stating who I'll rather.

Warmack may be more dependable as a road grinder in helping the center move those big NT out the way but that doesn't make him being top 10 worthy to the Jets. If Moore isn't sign and the pass rushers are off the board and the choice to address guard instead of tackle then we should trade down to the teens to acquire an extra second and either move two of the second we would eventually have to move back up the 1st round or trade back once again in the 1st from the teens to the 20s to draft Cooper. Doing so the last scenario would most likely land us an extra second and third to play with.

The kid Matthews is the real deal. Would love to get our hands on him as well. Fluker in the second is an option as he's improved is pass protection as the season neared to an end.

I am a A&M season ticket holder and was at the Cotton Bowl on Friday. I guess it goes without saying, but the bookend tandom of Joeckel/Mathews is the real deal. These guys are incredible! Joeckel is a virtual lock to declare and be drafted in the top three. Mathews has the bloodline and would likely go top ten. I would suspect they would be the top two OTs selected if the both go pro, and providing there are no major surprises via all star games or combine.

There is some talk around A&M that Mathews could stick around to showcase his talents at LT next year. His dad Bruce has Aggie ties (Ray Childress) and loves the school, and he has a younger brother (Mike) on the team that will likely start at center going forward.

Speaking of centers, Patrick Lewis from A&M does not get enough credit from draft gurus IMHO. The guy has been awesome throughout his career for the Ags. He makes the Oline calls and is very talented. If he goes undrafted, I would love for the Jets to scoop him up for depth. I think he could play guard in the NFL at some point.

I agree with not using a top ten pick on a guard, but if ever there were one worthy, Warmack fits the bill. I have to respectfully disagree with LAD-Brooklyn, as Warmack is one of the best pulling guards in the history of NCAAF. His athleticism is amazing given his huge stature!

Obviously, the Jets severely need to bring in some quality OL depth, and this appears to be a great draft to make this happen.

Matthews is the next Runyan. Balls he won't declare.

I think he would be foolish not to declare, but his family is very loyal to A&M, and he certainly does not have to worry about the money. He wants to be a LT, and might need to prove that he can play the left side for a year. Just the word around the campfire man...

There is some talk around A&M that Mathews could stick around to showcase his talents at LT next year. His dad Bruce has Aggie ties (Ray Childress) and loves the school, and he has a younger brother (Mike) on the team that will likely start at center going forward.

it's like splitting the vote, having these guys split drafts helps the supply/demand equation. the pouncey twins did similar and suspect only Joekel declares.

now that the Jets have a top 10 pick an OL becomes less likely. It would have to be a trade down to the teens or 20's before they went this route. not impossible as many have advocated for the trade down. assuming he works out well (these bama big guys tend to be in rough shape) Chance Warmack at 20 is about right, at 9 it's high. But if he turns out to be a multiple all pro it doesn't really matter. and of course if he shows up fat it's to rd 2 and beyond for him.

Archived