first 5 moves you'd make if given the reigns this offseason

sirlancemehlot

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm given the reigns, it means I'm the GM and Tanny is sh I t canned.

1. Fire Rex

2. Bring in a HC who can install a big time offense, either himself, or through his coordinators. Make sure that coach or staff can develop a QB!

3. Trade Revis as soon as healthy. No team wins SBs in this age because of a corner. Trade for picks, or if there is a young backup QB u like, for him plus picks.

4. Make 2013 a cap cleanup year, clean out as many bad contracts as possible with the hopes of getting out of cap hell.

5. Trade my draft pick for this year, and accumulate picks. This draft is strong where we are somewhat set, and weak where we are weak. Trade back and pick up quantity in the draft, even if that means for 2014 where hopefully a real QB prospect will be available.

we have nobody that can rush the paser we need to go to a 4-3 put devito and puha inside or ellis puha does nothing for me, and draft a olb jones is going to be beast ,the oline then reciver. go and bring smith from the 49rs he is a hell of an upgrade at QB. and yes Braylon needs to stay here ship holmes out for a 3rd and tebow for a bag of penuts if they can get that. and mr.T. just needs to go and take his scout team with him

None of this is actually possible, or makes any sense, you will need a top 3 pick, or possibly the 1st pick to get Jones, our whole D personnel is based off the 3/4-hybrid 3-2-6 scheme, going to a 4-3 D immediately would result in the same crappy D like Mangini had until he got Jenkins, if you want to build around the eventual move to the 4-3 fine, but not next year. Why keep Edwards? He won't be part of the future plans with the new QB in 2014, only offensive skill players I keep around are Powell, Hill, and Kerley the rest have no future here, and Powell is on a 1 year audition, Kerley needs to prove he can get separation on short passes that are necessary to pick up 3rd and 5-7's, or I look to replace him, and Hill has to make huge improvements in route running, and Catching the ball, or he is also gone, your the new GM you have no ties to these players, it won't make u look bad cutting bait, keeping underachieving players you didn't draft, or sign makes you look bad, and improving, and developing these guys makes you look good, if played right it's a win win for the new GM.

My goal is to spread my sports curse throughout New England. I hope that by becoming a Pats fan, I destroy all that is good about the Pats. I wont be able to enjoy the jets success, but at least I know my JN friends will be happy.

Goo on with your bad self. :)

Defense sucks.

Brady has been off since his daughter was born

Josh McDaniel cant play call

Belichick cant find a hoodie that looks good.

Fair points. And while the Patriots could easily be one and done, they could just as easily, relatively speaking of course, make it to another Superbowl. The key point, they are still playing.

I don't like the idea of DUngy. He is a sanctimonous dick who will not play well in this market. And as a HC he would be Herm Edwards II.

We need someone with instant credibility to clean up the mess who is a known quality. Gruden is a chucklehead on tv but he would fit the bill if he wants to coach again.Arians might as well.

Bill O'Brien fits this description perfectly. That would be my first choice.

Fair points. And while the Patriots could easily be one and done, they could just as easily, relatively speaking of course, make it to another Superbowl. The key point, they are still playing.

Cheating works. The last 10 years have proved that beyond all doubt. It's ending though.

Bill O'Brien fits this description perfectly. That would be my first choice.

No cheating scum alums, thanks. David Shaw.

Assuming Tanny is already fired.

1. Hire a better GM. Some good names have been suggested here at JN so that makes the job so much easier. Keep Rex on a leash.

2. Try to cut/trade/restructure the contracts of Harris, Holmes and Sanchez as deemed favorable to the organization.

3. Make the fan base aware this is not going to be fixed in one season and not try to fix in it in one season like the Knicks tried to do for a decade.

4. Get a new gym instructor.

5. This is the most difficult one. Reduce the price of food and beer so the fans do not feel they are getting ripped off every time they step into the stadium. Remember you already effed them by making them buy PSL's.

They are, which is the most important thing of all. I just dont have the confidence in them like I had last year. They need a healthy Gronk. Hernandez (or Gonzalez as the retarded annoucer called him yesterday) just dont seem right. And that secondary.. Awful, Just awful. But they can beat any of the AFC teams.

Defense sucks.

Brady has been off since his daughter was born

Josh McDaniel cant play call

Belichick cant find a hoodie that looks good.

top 5 moves you'd make on the Pats if given the reigns this off-season:

1. Make Vince Wilfork DC

2.Make Brady stop having kids

3.fire McDaniel

4.design a line of hoodies that don't wrinkle and have built-in inflatable muscles

5. Profit

1. Fire Sparano, demote Tannebaum and bring in a new GM with a football mind (Bill Cowher/Eric Mangini, etc.) and decide Rex's fate.

2. Players to release or walk -- Tebow, Scott, Greene, Ducasse, Jason Smith and explore trading Revis.

3. Sign: ***All dependent on how much cap space is create

QB - Jason Campbell/Matt Moore,

RB - Mendenhall/S. Jackson only on the cheap if possible. If not draft a RB in day 2

WR - Resign Braylon for 2-3 years or Greg Jennings if financially capable

TE - Resign Keller

S - LaRon Landry

4. Draft - OL in the 1st RD. Have an instant LG, RG or RT to add to Mangold and DBrick.

5. Bring in Cam Cameron as the OC.

They are, which is the most important thing of all. I just dont have the confidence in them like I had last year. They need a healthy Gronk. Hernandez (or Gonzalez as the retarded annoucer called him yesterday) just dont seem right. And that secondary.. Awful, Just awful. But they can beat any of the AFC teams.

Neither do I. I think Gronk's fixes a lot of things (e.g. Brady and Hernandez). If Talib and Denard can get healthy, the D was not that bad (relatively speaking) with them at corner and McCourty at safety.

Again, they are not playing well, so as I said before, one or done...maybe a deeper run.

1. Fire Sparano, demote Tannebaum and bring in a new GM with a football mind (Bill Cowher/Eric Mangini, etc.) and decide Rex's fate.

2. Players to release or walk -- Tebow, Scott, Greene, Ducasse, Jason Smith and explore trading Revis.

3. Sign: ***All dependent on how much cap space is create

QB - Jason Campbell/Matt Moore,

RB - Mendenhall/S. Jackson only on the cheap if possible. If not draft a RB in day 2

WR - Resign Braylon for 2-3 years or Greg Jennings if financially capable

TE - Resign Keller

S - LaRon Landry

4. Draft - OL in the 1st RD. Have an instant LG, RG or RT to add to Mangold and DBrick.

5. Bring in Cam Cameron as the OC.

This list starts out OK and gets HORRIBLE really quickly. Cam Cameron? The guy who just got fired for refusing to use his all pro RB? Really? Another OL when they have zero good players at any skill positions? I assume for more ground and pound loser football huh?

You cannot under any circumstances allow Tannenbaum to be in the organization. He's turned the entire place into an overly-political, back-biting, excuse-making, anonymous-sourcing, toxic septic tank of an organization. It'd be like moving J Edgar Hoover into the typing pool.

If tanny is demoted and retained it would be the dumbest thing this organization has ever done in it long and illustrious history of doing dumb things

Why all the hate on yet another OC? Bill Walsh would have looked like a total ass eater with this offense.

I don't know that Sparano is that bad at all. His play calling didn't put me to sleep like Schotty's did, and if he actually had a QB (which to my knowledge he never has, Henne, Sanchez and any other foul that was throwing in Miami) he might be worth something.

the jury has to be out on Sparano, good luck to anyone that is an OC with Sanchez throwing the ball...

Instead of concentrating on the cuts, i'd concentrate on who to keep:

Powel (as a third down back, draft a 3rd or 4th rounder, pick someone off waivers if you like)

McElroy as a #2

Mangold, Brick, Slauson

Harris, Pouha, Devito, and the rest of the young linemen

Cromarti

Kerley

The rest you could let go if they are under contract, otherwise, go young. You have to like what the Browns did this year, youngest squad in football and they played some very competetive games. They'll be a good squad in the next few years.

Not organized enough to come up with 5 that I'm completely sure of but two I am:

- Find a pass rusher or two (DE/OLBs). One a slam dunk and the other a strong developmental prospect.

- Find at least one starting caliber OL, with two being preferable. One inside and one outside.

- I also would strongly consider trading Revis or Cromartie.

1. Hire Polian, hope you get the good Polian since he's starting from scratch. Let him gut the roster and get a top-three pick in 2014, where he gets a quarterback. Make a show out of firing Tannenbaum, Rex, Bradway, etc.

2. The coach should also be a veteran hand. A post-Rex locker room is going to be a mess, so bringing in a guy with pre-formed credibility will be important. I think the only guy crazy enough to take this job is Gruden. As to whether Gruden could get this team to play for him, or if he'd be able to work for Polian, is a coin flip. Another possibility would be Polian talking Dungy away from NBC, where he looks miserable. Under no circumstances should they retain Westhoff, who is a back-biter.

3. Do the Revis trade, get back the 2014 cap space, a first and a third, and move on. Dump Tebow, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Brandon Moore, Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight, Eric Smith, Ducasse, and Keller. Trumpet a new philosophy. Try to re-sign Landry and Harris, but don't get crazy on the numbers. Bring in the old veteran stopgap QB.

4. In the draft, trade down if possible.There isn't a ton of greatness at the top of this draft, anyway, so if someone wants your pick to get the DEs in this draft, take 2014 picks in return for your 2013s. Draft Tyler Eifert, draft a prospect at QB, load up on OL and LB.

5. Act with dignified derision anytime a reporter asks about the last four years. Make it clear that it was a blight on the blight-filled history of the Jets and will not be tolerated in the future. Give the impression that you're a first-class organization.

Hire Tony Dungy?

I would burn the remaining unburned Jets merchandise I still own.

None of this is actually possible, or makes any sense, you will need a top 3 pick, or possibly the 1st pick to get Jones, our whole D personnel is based off the 3/4-hybrid 3-2-6 scheme, going to a 4-3 D immediately would result in the same crappy D like Mangini had until he got Jenkins, if you want to build around the eventual move to the 4-3 fine, but not next year. Why keep Edwards? He won't be part of the future plans with the new QB in 2014, only offensive skill players I keep around are Powell, Hill, and Kerley the rest have no future here, and Powell is on a 1 year audition, Kerley needs to prove he can get separation on short passes that are necessary to pick up 3rd and 5-7's, or I look to replace him, and Hill has to make huge improvements in route running, and Catching the ball, or he is also gone, your the new GM you have no ties to these players, it won't make u look bad cutting bait, keeping underachieving players you didn't draft, or sign makes you look bad, and improving, and developing these guys makes you look good, if played right it's a win win for the new GM.

ok then who will you call our nosetackle puha?? never gets double team ellis??? we got maybe 2 good ends that can rush some, but are not 3-4 ends as far as a olb who can rush??? no one.Mangini had no ends that could rush the Qb,puha and devito can plug the inside we are just one olb from a very good D. we will end up with a very low pick from 10 to 14 we need to trade down we dont have a great player in our d. besides #24.

Is there a reason to not like Dungy from a football standpoint. I know ppl are still turned off bc of his association w Herm but the guy knows football.

I'm probably biased because he makes me want to barf when he speaks. But he had what, 11 or 12 years with Manning? His defense never really impressed me and the team just seemed to cave too often in big games. If we bring him in that means Cromartie is probably gone and Revis should be dealt because he's wasted in that scheme.

I love people saying they want mangini as gm... I'm o my phone but if I were at a pc this would be a great time to bump some 2007 threads or some Schlegel /gholston threads or the ones where he admits he doesn't make in game adjustments... If you think mangini is any part of the answer you are a fool.

Agreed with SE on Dungy...Guy's a softy who got blessed with the greatest QB of all time, and he pulls out one SB from it. Hyped as a defensive genius and it took him what...7 years to put out a competent defense ONCE in Indianapolis?

I like my Whisenhunt idea, and I'm not even super high on him. There's a duo that interests me but mostly because I apparently stopped paying attention to the NFL in 2007...Josh McDaniels and Scott Pioli.

1. Inform Coach Ryan and GM Tannenbaum that they will be retained for 2013, but that any 2013 season that does not result in A. a winning record and b. at least two playoff games, will result in the immediate termination post haste.

2. Inform Coordinator Sparano that his services will no longer be required. Reach out to college offensive minds fluent in the future of the NFL, the moving-pocket run-and-toss style of QB personified by RGIII and those like him.

3. Find some way to trade Mark Sanchez. Absorb the cap hit. In addition, cut Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy.

4. Draft a tall, mobile QB to develop in the forthcoming draft, who will compete in an open competition against a Free Agent QB of similar size and mobillity who may have failed elsewhere.

5. Improve the talent at the WR, RB, LB and OLINE positions via the draft and free agency. BAP will do for now.

I think priority #1 for any candidate has to be that they're just going to let all the bad stuff expire in the 2013 season and not do anything major. There is a lot of opportunity for the Jets in the future if they just take some time off from max deals and trading away picks. Two good drafts and a couple solid FA acquisitions and we're right back in the mix of things but the Jets first and foremost have to decide that they're going to let that happen.

Archived