Jets already looking at new general manager options but will try to keep Mike Tannenbaum in different role, report says

Lil Bit Special

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.J. Watt. Pretty sure he's better than Vernon Gholston.

Sure, and the Redskins found RG3 but I don't want to purge their front office. I was hoping for a little more detail than just the naming of their best player.

How are they in the mid rounds? Do we need as long as they did they to be relevant? What coaches does he know that can find a QB and an offense? What do they value most and how is it drastically different from what the Jets value? Should I ignore that despite our FOs incompetence and their genius the Texans can't seem to beat the lowly, stupid Jets? Should I just cover my ears and scream "WATT Vs GHOLSTON(!)" if he's hired?

Sure, and the Redskins found RG3 but I don't want to purge their front office. I was hoping for a little more detail than just the naming of their best player.

10 teams passed on JJ Watt before the Texans took him. The Redskins had to give away their entire future to get "sure bet" RG3. Two very different scenarios.

I think Houston's recent success is evidence enough that Maccagnan is a strong option. Do we really need to go pick by pick here?

First time since...?

No really, I'm not against the idea. I just want some details.

I don't have the guy's resume in front of me. All we have to go on is Houston's success and the fact that Maccagnan has worked his way up in the organization. He's a strong, well-respected candidate in the league.

GFY.

10 teams passed on JJ Watt before the Texans took him. The Redskins had to give away their entire future to get "sure bet" RG3. Two very different scenarios.

I think Houston's recent success is evidence enough that Maccagnan is a strong option. Do we really need to go pick by pick here?

RG3 is their future.

Please feel to go pick by pick. Their recent success is taking the Manning and Fisher less South and one AFC Champ loss...

Please feel to go pick by pick. Their recent success is taking the Manning and Fisher less South and one AFC Champ loss...

They won a playoff game with T.J. Yates at QB. They've somehow managed to keep a trio of Schaub-Foster-Andre Johnson together while bringing in an influx of talent each year, including the leading candidate for DPOY. Their O-line is tremendous, as is the DC. They're going to earn homefield advantage this year.

GFY.

They won a playoff game with T.J. Yates at QB. They've somehow managed to keep a trio of Schaub-Foster-Andre Johnson together while bringing in an influx of talent each year, including the leading candidate for DPOY. Their O-line is tremendous, as is the DC. They're going to earn homefield advantage this year.

GFY.

Jets won multiple playoff games with Mark Sanchez at QB, just less recently. The Jets have a very strong DC, an OL that was great just two years ago and could be seen as in transition (it's since lost two high end veteran starters), and I am unsure of the feat that it is to keep a QB/RB/WR group together.

Lol how is asking questions about this prime candidate to Change Directions pissing you people off? I'm sorry that I am unprepared to bow before the naming of JJ Watt, TJ Yates, and some gif from The Wire.

What philosophies would be coming here that break the ground? What do the Texans do so differently that in just ten short years they were able to to pull out two very good NFL seasons and win a game against this lowly, dummy filled franchise?

These are legitimate questions...I'm extremely open to a new FO and coaching staff, but I don't want it to be just the latest and greatest. I mean, should I buy their FO did some special scouting job on JJ Watt, or should I just remember that Watt was an extremely well thought of prospect that fell more to circumstance rather than the inability to scout by other teams (the DL that went before him include Marcell Dareus, Aldon Smith, and Von Miller in a loaded top 10)?

Jets won multiple playoff games with Mark Sanchez at QB, just less recently. The Jets have a very strong DC, an OL that was great just two years ago and could be seen as in transition (it's since lost two high end veteran starters), and I am unsure of the feat that it is to keep a QB/RB/WR group together.

Lol how is asking questions about this prime candidate to Change Directions pissing you people off? I'm sorry that I am unprepared to bow before the naming of JJ Watt, TJ Yates, and some gif from The Wire.

What philosophies would be coming here that break the ground? What do the Texans do so differently that in just ten short years they were able to to pull out two very good NFL seasons and win a game against this lowly, dummy filled franchise?

These are legitimate questions...I'm extremely open to a new FO and coaching staff, but I don't want it to be just the latest and greatest. I mean, should I buy their FO did some special scouting job on JJ Watt, or should I just remember that Watt was an extremely well thought of prospect that fell more to circumstance rather than the inability to scout by other teams (the DL that went before him include Marcell Dareus, Aldon Smith, and Von Miller in a loaded top 10)?

GFY.

Maccagnan and DeCosta as GM. Hire Norv as the OC and Draft Mike Glennon from NC State to be the starting QB.

Problems solved...welcome to the new and improved NYJets 2013 version.

Parrot bullsh*t party time....which is my worry...though at least there's brains enough to run with a partnership of n00b GMs.

How is no one sick of chasing the latest and greatest? If the goal is Football Men the emphasis should be picking men and not boys to give this franchise Direction. I don't mean a Parcells in his 70's either...Pioli is more what I'm thinking.

sanchez is uncuttable. Holmes is uncuttable. Rex doesn't actually deserve to be fired. 2014 is the cleaning house year not 2013.

Decisions that need to be made down the road need to be made now. Why sacrifice the next TWO seasons?

I wouldn't cut Holmes or fire Rex (unless the new GM decides that's the best course of action - this should not be a Woody decision while Tanny is on his way out the door), but cutting Sanchez is not off the table. Bite the bullet now, remove the distraction, and start fresh in '14.

cutting sanchez is off the table. You don't pay him 6 mil to play for Oakland and then have him take up 10% of the cap in 2014. the only move that makes sense is to pay him what he's owed and be done with him after next year.

If you don't pay him 6 million to play for Oakland, what do you pay him 8.5 million to do? Serious question.

sanchez is uncuttable. Holmes is uncuttable. Rex doesn't actually deserve to be fired. 2014 is the cleaning house year not 2013.

So we have to sit thru another 6-10 type season next year, lol? Thank God for the Ticket and Red Zone.

If thats the case, get a new GM immediately and let them start cleaning house this year - as much as they can. Any vets with value (see Cromartie, Antonio) need to be traded for draft picks. Stockpile as many picks as possible for 2014.

cutting sanchez is off the table. You don't pay him 6 mil to play for Oakland and then have him take up 10% of the cap in 2014. the only move that makes sense is to pay him what he's owed and be done with him after next year.

If the Jets trade him in 2013 he is off the books in 2014 (unless we trade him in June or later, I suppose). Where do you get it from that he would take up 10% of the 2014 cap if we (somehow got lucky and found a sucker and) traded him in 2013?

If the Jets trade him in 2013 he is off the books in 2014 (unless we trade him in June or later, I suppose). Where do you get it from that he would take up 10% of the 2014 cap if we (somehow got lucky and found a sucker and) traded him in 2013?

according to jasons article, the Jets could give transfer all of his guarantee to bonus and lower his salary to vet min to find a trade partner. No one is trading for him at 8.25. That move works but it involves Woody cutting yet another huge check to Sanchez and just shoves the cap hit another year. the Jets are being run with a deficit mentality, at some point they have to take the hit on Sanchez. I'd rather pay him his money and let him ride the pine than push it further into the future.

according to jasons article, the Jets could give transfer all of his guarantee to bonus and lower his salary to vet min to find a trade partner. No one is trading for him at 8.25. That move works but it involves Woody cutting yet another huge check to Sanchez and just shoves the cap hit another year. the Jets are being run with a deficit mentality, at some point they have to take the hit on Sanchez. I'd rather pay him his money and let him ride the pine than push it further into the future.

Your plan - keeping him for 2013 - is the only one that pushes his money into the future beyond 2013.

Trading or cutting him in 2013 is a huge hit but then that's it. If we keep him for 2013 and then cut him for 2014 then it costs $5M on the 2014 cap (or $1.6M in 2014 and $3.2M in 2015 if we designate him a post-June 1 cut).

In other words, if we owe him $17M off our cap then we owe him just over $17M off our cap no matter what we do (he gets another $500K bonus if kept for 2013). If Jason's numbers are right, and they usually are, it can either be $12.8M in 2013 and $4.8M in 2014 ($17.6M total) to keep him as our backup QB for 2013, or it can be $17.1M in 2013 and nothing after that to cut him.

Therefore, to preserve 2014 with as clean a slate as possible, the 2 options seem to be:

1. Find a trade partner to assume any amount of Sanchez's 2013 salary (even if it's the league minimum, it's something).

2. Cut Sanchez outright.

sperm 5 mil in 2014 isn't a huge hit. 10+ is a huge hit. And no one is taking Mark at that salary. they'd have to renegotiate his contract which means more bonus for Mark. and the other problem with an outright cut is no offset language. which means the Jets pay him his guaranteed money AND he makes whatever from another team. If they are gonna pay him they might as well pay him to be a Jets player.

Your plan - keeping him for 2013 - is the only one that pushes his money into the future beyond 2013.

Trading or cutting him in 2013 is a huge hit but then that's it. If we keep him for 2013 and then cut him for 2014 then it costs $5M on the 2014 cap (or $1.6M in 2014 and $3.2M in 2015 if we designate him a post-June 1 cut).

In other words, if we owe him $17M off our cap then we owe him just over $17M off our cap no matter what we do (he gets another $500K bonus if kept for 2013). If Jason's numbers are right, and they usually are, it can either be $12.8M in 2013 and $4.8M in 2014 ($17.6M total) to keep him as our backup QB for 2013, or it can be $17.1M in 2013 and nothing after that to cut him.

Therefore, to preserve 2014 with as clean a slate as possible, the 2 options seem to be:

1. Find a trade partner to assume any amount of Sanchez's 2013 salary (even if it's the league minimum, it's something).

2. Cut Sanchez outright.

If you cut Sanchez and blow up the cap, how bad does that ruin any opportunity at replacing Rex and Tannenbaum with A-list candidates? Who'd take this job if they're forced to sit on their hands in 2013?

Archived