Zimmerman: Tannenbaum to be FIRED on Monday Funday

T0mShane

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to a league source, Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum will be removed from his position on Monday.

Sunday will be the last day of the Jets' 2012 season. It also will likely be the last day that Mike Tannenbaum will be the team's general manager.

As first reported on Sunday, according to a league source, Tannenbaum will be relieved of his duties as team owner Woody Johnson searches for a replacement.

One potential scenario is that Tannenbaum will be reassigned to another role within the organization.

Tannenbaum, who joined the Jets in 1997 as director of player contract negotiations, was elevated to general manager in 2006, replacing Terry Bradway who has remained with the team as a senior personnel executive.

The Jets are 6-9 going into the final game of the season. They have reached the playoffs in only three of Tannenbaum's seasons as general manager: 2006 wildcard game, 2009 AFC Championship and the 2010 AFC Championship.

Stay dialed in on the New York Jets by following correspondent Lisa Zimmerman on Twitter @CBSJets and @LisaZimmerman.

I wonder if the Jets leaked the story about having Tannenbaum stay on in a dual capacity with a new GM just to get a reaction. Once it was roundly criticized they decide that it's best just to releave him of his duties.

I'm not sure what to think. Who is Woody really looking for? Terry is still on the payroll. Tanny will still be on the payroll.

We've seen how the Jets front office has handled things over the years. And this Tebow mess, what good GM or HC would want to join an organization where the Owner demands to get a player for the tabloids and not for improving the team?

If Rex stays, it becomes one of those, GM came onboard but didn't' get the coach and coaches he wanted. Start over. If Rex picks some QB or for whatever reason, they stick with Sanchez next season because he lights up the Bills, it'll be another few wasted seasons cause the GM came onboard and didn't get his QB.

I honestly think they need to fire everybody and start over. But that never happens. Terry is around. Tanny will be around. And some new GM will hear whispers.

Don't want to out my sources but it's not incarcerated Bob.

Well I am on record for getting a new regime in starting with a GM with football sense and knowledge. Woody can not be blind to negativity surrounding this team- his media darling

Well I am on record for getting a new regime in starting with a GM with football sense and knowledge. Woody can not be blind to negativity surrounding this team- his media darling

Agreed with regime change...have to hope Woody makes the right GM hire...not sure where Woody turns as a sounding board...have to think he feels burned after the Mangini/Tanny then Tanny/Rex regimes...also hope he avoids turning to the Tuna.

Best bet is he leans on someone within NFL circles to get the right GM...similar to how Arthur Blank hired Ernie Accorsi as a consultant for the GM search following the Bobbie Petrino year...unfortunately, Ernie already been hired to lead Carolina' search for a new GM. Wish he could lead both searches...but may have conflict of interest.

Obviously it's the new GM's call...but I've stated in multiple threads...want Mike Zimmer as HC...tough, no-nonsense...well overdue for a HC gig...would seem the logical choice after Rex...like how Rex was a good choice after Mangini...put the knuckleheads on notice...also defensive minded tailored to the strength of this team...just needs to make right choices with the staff (offensively).

Agreed with regime change...have to hope Woody makes the right GM hire...not sure where Woody turns as a sounding board...have to think he feels burned after the Mangini/Tanny then Tanny/Rex regimes...also hope he avoids turning to the Tuna.

Tuna led Woody astray recommending Tanny, Rex and Sparano.

BP lost his fastball years ago.

Tuna led Woody astray recommending Tanny, Rex and Sparano.

BP lost his fastball years ago.

Agreed. Bill's only interest is Bill. He'll hook a brother up if it furthers his influence but in most cases does not lead to long term success for the organization.

On a positive note, if this does happen on Monday, it will probably send T0mshane into a coma from over-excitement. Win-win for everyone involved :)

If this happened three years ago, I'd be excited. At this point, it's sorta like finding out Darth Vader died of old age.

Archived