3 offensive coordinators in 3 years

JOJOTOWNSELL

if you step back and look at the situation objectively you start to feel for Sanchez.......zero continuity on the offensive side of the ball with a young Qb is a recipe for disaster. How much success would Luck or RG3 have if their teams implement an entirely new offensive scheme the next 3 years?? We never gave this kid a chance to succeed, its a damn shame

yes seriously......3 new coaches in 36 months is a terrible look IMO

Nevermind the rotating door we've had at all the WR positions since Sanchez got here and all of the shuffling done along the OL as well (aside from C, RG, and LT). Not saying Sanchez ever had it in him to be Rodgers or Brady no matter our GM or coach, but to say that the complete mismanagement and terrible coaching that has surrounded Sanchez and his offense the past three years has nothing to do with his worsening performance would also be a bit naive.

First, Sanchez had one OC for his first three years.

Second, Luck and RGIII don't appear to suck enough to get multiple OCs fired.

Id also like to point out that both Luck and RGIII play for coaches that are competent on the offensive side of the ball, and understand the importance of letting QBs throw the ball and take chances, even on 1st down early in games!! They do not view their Franchise QBs as people that will avoid turnovers, but let them go out and be difference makers!! They also will not be asking their franchise QBs to develop chemistry with two or three new stopgap, troubled, receivers every other year, or play behind an OL that they let deteriorate.

Novel concepts, i know.

Oh, boy! Poor Markie...him never had a chance. I'm pretty sure the rookie QBs you mentioned and the others having success are playing in new systems, with new WRs, under new coaches (with the exception of Tannehill). Peyton Manning seems to be doing ok, and Brady has had revolving OCs and WRs for years. Aaron Rogers has a new OC and his WRs keep changing due to injuries.

Good QBs shine through when their chips are down and the odds are against them. Mark is defeated. His demeanor shows it and his teamattes know it. He was afforded plenty of opportunity here. Time to move on, for Mark and his apologists.

Id also like to point out that both Luck and RGIII play for coaches that are competent on the offensive side of the ball, and understand the importance of letting QBs throw the ball and take chances, even on 1st down early in games!! They do not view their Franchise QBs as people that will avoid turnovers, but let them go out and be difference makers!! They also will not be asking their franchise QBs to develop chemistry with two or three new stopgap, troubled, receivers every other year, or play behind an OL that they let deteriorate.

Novel concepts, i know.

There's no defense for the alleged development of Mark Sanchez by the New York Jets, but that doesn't mean that Sanchez was ever really developable. Although they did try to open up the offense in his second year, with subpar results.

I think we have a chicken and egg scenario here...

Fact is that the offense was never really a concern with this regime (be it continuity on the OL, WR's or the play calling and schemes) Schotty is a piss poor OC, Sparano is worse. Our Oline was dominant in run-blocking, never in pass protection, but even that deteriorated over the last few seasons. The WR's were the best when you had Edwards, Holmes, and Cotchery... not really world beaters, but the best we have had here.

Add in the fact that the entire time Sanchez has been here, he was asked to manage games, and you have a lot of factors beyond Sanchez's control that worked against him.

Now, you have to hold Sanchez accountable as well. The kid was a bad pick. He had less experience than most QB's drafted out of college, especially in the slot he was chosen. His mental make-up is obviously a big issue, and while he may have above average physical traits, there is nothing that makes hime head and shoulders a great raw talent.

If you wanted a blue print for what not to do at the QB position of an NFL team, you have it right here.

Draft an inexperienced QB who has not won a championship at any level, surround him by malcontents and inexperienced coaches, shuffle things regularly, decrease the talent around him, and put him on a team with an offensively negligent coach and front office...

Voila, you have a bad QB situation.

Only the Jets seem to have mastered the art of screwing up the QB position for close to 40 years.

Time to start over, or pray for a miracle, or both.

I think we have a chicken and egg scenario here...

Fact is that the offense was never really a concern with this regime (be it continuity on the OL, WR's or the play calling and schemes) Schotty is a piss poor OC, Sparano is worse. Our Oline was dominant in run-blocking, never in pass protection, but even that deteriorated over the last few seasons. The WR's were the best when you had Edwards, Holmes, and Cotchery... not really world beaters, but the best we have had here.

Add in the fact that the entire time Sanchez has been here, he was asked to manage games, and you have a lot of factors beyond Sanchez's control that worked against him.

Now, you have to hold Sanchez accountable as well. The kid was a bad pick. He had less experience than most QB's drafted out of college, especially in the slot he was chosen. His mental make-up is obviously a big issue, and while he may have above average physical traits, there is nothing that makes hime head and shoulders a great raw talent.

If you wanted a blue print for what not to do at the QB position of an NFL team, you have it right here.

Draft an inexperienced QB who has not won a championship at any level, surround him by malcontents and inexperienced coaches, shuffle things regularly, decrease the talent around him, and put him on a team with an offensively negligent coach and front office...

Voila, you have a bad QB situation.

Only the Jets seem to have mastered the art of screwing up the QB position for close to 40 years.

Time to start over, or pray for a miracle, or both.

Agreed with point that the offense has been an afterthought under this regime...one of the easiest criticisms of Rex...on Sanchez and a bad draft pick...not so sure...I mean obviously in hindsight it's a disaster...but an organization has to take chances, especially at the QB position to thrive in the NFL...he had decent potential coming out and most draft experts had him as the second best QB coming out...

The biggest problem was not having a plan to ensure growth and a fall back plan when he would take a step back...I mean a 50-year old Mark Brunnel as a backup...wow. The biggest knock on Sanchez coming out was his lack of experience...and the Jets do not ensure a quality backup...it's inexcusable...Sanchez looked to me like a kid who would have benefited from some clipboard time to help him process the game. Instead, Rex just keeps blowing smoke up his ass and telling him he's got confidence in him...really wish he had taken the hard love approach and sat him when he sucked and looked overwhelmed...the problem is we never had a backup who made Mark fear for his job. Even this year, they trade for a guy who had less skills than Sanchez but with a following. Never a serious threat to his playing time. The Jets competitors could not have designed a better plan to sabotage this organization.

Incompetence. Jets fans should demand a new regime to start over. Hope Woody listens.

Umm, hate to be Mr. Obvious, but Little Markie has only had 2 OC's in his 4 years with the Jets, so let's be clear about that - you only speculate that 1. Sporano will be gone next, and 2. that Little Markie will still be in a green uniform next year. Speculation aside, you seem to completely ignore the fact that Little Markie completely sucks. I'd present stats, but I fear that would be like piling on.

3 OC's 10 OC's, Sanchez is never going to be a difference maker its that simple.Rex knew that and so did management. You dont pick a player 5th overall and tell him just don't lose the game,don't turn the ball over. This pick set the Jets back financially for years also. Why they gave a QB rated lowest in the league an extension is beyond me. Just turn the page on this mistake and maybe by 2014 the Jets will be relevant again.

if you step back and look at the situation objectively you start to feel for Sanchez.......zero continuity on the offensive side of the ball with a young Qb is a recipe for disaster. How much success would Luck or RG3 have if their teams implement an entirely new offensive scheme the next 3 years?? We never gave this kid a chance to succeed, its a damn shame

Normally I would 100% agree with this, but Sanchez can't read a defense, can't make responsible decisions, and never looks off his primary target. No offensive coordinator would be able to fix these things with just having the same system in place, MAYBE a QB GURU could help rebuild, and coach Sanchez while he held a clipboard for a year, or 2 behind a really good QB, but other than that he is beyond repair here. I was one of the pro Sanchez guys all offseason, and the 1st half of this season, but there is no denying his incapabilities to run a offense at this point in his career, maybe it was because of how bad the Jets coached him, but the 1st 3 years he had the same offensive system, and never looked in command of it regardless of how poor that system was.

I think the Jets coaches, and Sanchez both take equal blame for him not becoming a NFL winning caliber QB.

3 OC's 10 OC's, Sanchez is never going to be a difference maker its that simple.Rex knew that and so did management. You dont pick a player 5th overall and tell him just don't lose the game,don't turn the ball over. This pick set the Jets back financially for years also. Why they gave a QB rated lowest in the league an extension is beyond me. Just turn the page on this mistake and maybe by 2014 the Jets will be relevant again.

This is on Woody Johnson, you can clean house, and bring in the best possible GM in the world, but if Woody Johnson does not want to pay Mark Sanchez all those Millions to play on someone else's roster, or watch from his couch, then that is it he will be on the NYJ roster in 2014 plain, and simple, no team would even entertain the idea of taking on that contract financially, MAYBE someone takes it if the Jets pay the whole thing, or an even swap like the Hunter, Smith trade, but in this case the Jets would also have to throw in a draft pick, and probably a good one.

I really hate this '2014' scenario. Who is to say they don't wind up 7-9 or 8-8 next season as they always do with or without Sanchez? And with a middle of the road draft pick, who is to say they wind up with a game changing QB who can start from day one?

Everybody loves to say bring Matt Moore in for a year, but do we really think Moore will beat out Sanchez in pre season? He couldn't beat out a rookie QB who many 'experts' said was a raw talent and years away from being able to start in the NFL. And Moore is not a guy that helps Woody, helps a new GM, or helps Rex. Especially if they are still paying Sanchez to be a backup QB.

My fear is that signing Moore would lead to Sanchez having a good offseason, a good preseason and suddenly Rex thinking he's the best chance they have to win. And then He has his moments, stinks most of the year, and the Jets wind up 8-8. And 2014 is the same as where we are now. Which is middle of the road team that never rebuilds nor gets better. They depend on a couple of lucky breaks every generation to make a playoff run. But always fall short.

Assuming they wind up with a top QB in the 2014 draft is a dream scenario. They do need to rebuild, but who rebuilds with half the same staff still around? Nobody really rebuilds a team if they stick with the same HC and the GM is still hanging around, even if he's not officially the 'GM.'

I really hate this '2014' scenario. Who is to say they don't wind up 7-9 or 8-8 next season as they always do with or without Sanchez? And with a middle of the road draft pick, who is to say they wind up with a game changing QB who can start from day one?

Everybody loves to say bring Matt Moore in for a year, but do we really think Moore will beat out Sanchez in pre season? He couldn't beat out a rookie QB who many 'experts' said was a raw talent and years away from being able to start in the NFL. And Moore is not a guy that helps Woody, helps a new GM, or helps Rex. Especially if they are still paying Sanchez to be a backup QB.

My fear is that signing Moore would lead to Sanchez having a good offseason, a good preseason and suddenly Rex thinking he's the best chance they have to win. And then He has his moments, stinks most of the year, and the Jets wind up 8-8. And 2014 is the same as where we are now. Which is middle of the road team that never rebuilds nor gets better. They depend on a couple of lucky breaks every generation to make a playoff run. But always fall short.

Assuming they wind up with a top QB in the 2014 draft is a dream scenario. They do need to rebuild, but who rebuilds with half the same staff still around? Nobody really rebuilds a team if they stick with the same HC and the GM is still hanging around, even if he's not officially the 'GM.'

Most that are saying "2014" are the ones that are also saying clear house, Tanny, Rex, Sanchez, Holmes, ect. Build a young team that really can't compete on the field in 2013, and then go get the franchise QB, and use the sh*t load of cap space to get the right players in here via FA, obviously this is under the assumption the right GM makes good draft, personnel, coaching staff, and FA decisions.

Most that are saying "2014" are the ones that are also saying clear house, Tanny, Rex, Sanchez, Holmes, ect. Build a young team that really can't compete on the field in 2013, and then go get the franchise QB, and use the sh*t load of cap space to get the right players in here via FA, obviously this is under the assumption the right GM makes good draft, personnel, coaching staff, and FA decisions.

Thank you my friend,thats excactly my point,sometimes one has to take a couple steps back to go forward.

This would be the exact right strategy

Archived