Rex Ryan open to spending next season working in television

JoeC36

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 29, 2012, 1:50 PM EST

Critics of Jets coach Rex Ryan say he’s a better talker than a coach. So it might make sense for Ryan to spend next season talking instead of coaching.

If Ryan is not retained by Jets owner Woody Johnson, he would be amenable to working in television next year, sources told the New York Daily News.

Publicly, Ryan has insisted that he wants to remain with the Jets next season, but reports have indicated that in private he’s not quite so intent on staying in place. Ryan reportedly would prefer getting fired to having to go through another year with the same offensive personnel and assistant coaches in place, and according to ESPN, Ryan joked at a recent staff meeting that he’d prefer to get fired.

Johnson has said nothing publicly about whether he plans to fire Ryan. But if he does, Ryan may spend 2013 in a TV studio or broadcast booth, doing something he does well: Talking.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/rex-ryan-open-to-spending-next-season-working-in-television/

I was going to mention this yesterday. I figured in a private moment he might have been joking about hypotheticals and someone who heard it passed it on to Manish.

We've all said stuff we don't mean when it comes to our jobs, ie wanting to get fired so you can collect unemployment. It doesn't mean anything but when a jackal like Manish gets a hold of it and spins it you've got the appearance of something much more sinister.

I think the article is a bunch of crap and the person who gave this "scoop" to Manish should be booted out of Floram Park. If it is Pettine, I don't see how this makes him an attractive candidate to potential employers.

I would be amenable to getting banned if PAC is going to keep blaming the media for the Jets sucking.

I don't even know what this means. The Jets offense sucking has nothing to do with Manish Mehtas crusade to be on as many national talk shows as possible.

I don't even know what this means. The Jets offense sucking has nothing to do with Manish Mehtas crusade to be on as many national talk shows as possible.

Wouldn't portraying anything involving this Jets organization in a professional, dignified, or serious light be the more sensationalistic story?

Archived